The Rolling Hills of Pearson

The Rolling Hills of PearsonI don't own an iPad, nor an iPhone, so I'm not as interested nor up-to-date with the Apple iOS 6 news. But I am an observer of technology trends and it's been impossible to surf the web without hearing about the Apple iOS 6 Maps controversy.

Apparently, Apple has replaced the Google Maps with their own, and the results have been unfortunate. Here's a nice collection of the mistakes found. In a nutshell, Google Maps is better and those who upgraded to iOS 6 want their Google Maps back.

Here's my personal favourite image from Apple iOS 6 Maps. These are the rolling hills of Toronto Pearson International Airport.

pearson

Corey

Totally agree - I have an iPhone 4S and I want my Google Maps back! The flyover feature in apple maps is slick, and cool to play with, but it has absolutely no practical purpose. Google's street view IS practical. The thing that really burns me is that it wasn't made clear that updating to iOS 6 meant both the Google Map app and the YouTube app would be removed. No warning during installation at all. The Apple Map app does come with voice assisted directions now, but who knows how trustworthy those are!

September 20, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

Corey

September 20, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Sammi

I will never buy an Apple product.

September 20, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Douglas

Can you imagine all of the rolling hills in southern Manitoba and Saskatchewan? "You are entering Winnipeg. Turn right on to Portage Avenue at the big hill ahead. Follow the rolling terrain and enjoy the scenery on your way downtown. Turn left at the canyon for Main Street." "Caution ahead. Six foot waves on Lake Wascana."

September 21, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

Blind Dave

Hey, I live in Saskatchewan - been here for just over 5 years. I found my first hill not too long ago and didn't even need Apple!!!

September 21, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

brad

this would be enough for me to avoid ios6

September 21, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

Douglas

@Blind Dave
I am originally from Winnipeg, and Lake Wascana is generally pretty calm, almost as flat as the land around it. I put the Manitoba and Saskatchewan references in for pretty much those two reasons. Glad you caught and liked.

September 21, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Mike from Lowville

Sometimes it feels that hilly landing and taking off at Pearson!

September 21, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Douglas

I don't really need one, but why did I find myself looking at a Samsung Galaxy S III online this morning?

Interesting comparison: Verizon Wireless is offering the S3 (while they can, possibly) for U$249.99 on a two-year contract; AT&T U$199.99. Two years is the longest contract that Verizon and AT&T have. Rogers has a two-year contract at C$599.99.

If you don't mind a three-year contract on any of the Canadian big three, the price drops to C$149.99. Why am I not surprised?

September 22, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Irvine

@Corey: Google Street View never worked on Apple devices. It required Flash.

I'm no Apple fan boi, but I find this thread a perfect demonstration of our "hater society". The focus isn't on the VAST technological advancements the iPhone has brought to society. The focus is on this failure.

Whether you haters like it or not, the iPhone & IOS changed the world. It took everything you could with your personal computer and put it in your hand.

While we're talking about failures, how come no focus on Google (Mike's favourite pet). How's Google+ doing? Or the dozen or so other Google failures which never make it to the limelight

Apple haters are a sign of Apple's success. This is but a small bump to Apple.

September 22, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Corey

@ the persona "Irvine" - I guess this is another one of those comments meant to deliberately antagonize right? I've had 2 iPhones over the past 4 years, you f'ing idiot. I think I'd know if street view was available, which it was (since 2008), until Apple decided to remove the Google-powered Maps app, and replace it with their own version (which frankly sucks).

Folks, this is another example of the poster who uses the made up persona of "Irvine" posting comments about stuff he obviously knows nothing about. He admitted last week that nothing he writes is real, so from now on, don't take him seriously. There is no Irvine that made it big in Alberta, yadda yadda. He likely lives in Whitby or Ajax, working at the local Rona. Sometimes it is fun to expose him, but just remember he's really a harmless troll.

September 22, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Douglas

@Corey
If "Irvine" lives in Whitby or Ajax and works at the local Rona, he's about to lose his job, as Rona closes yet another of their big box stores, a reflection of their inability to compete at that level with Home Depot and Lowe's. The new Rona in Clarington sits empty - it never opened. Good thing they're strong in Qu├ębec, where their head office is.

September 23, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Irvine

@Corey:

Yes Corey, I did say that, I also said what I wrote had you frothing at the mouth. Which was why I did it. Which was why I wrote what I wrote about iPhone (of which I have)

You see Corey, you're one of those guys that tries to drum up an "anti irvine" posse in here. Yet you repeatedly have a retort to everything I write. What's wrong slickster? Can't let me go?

And trust me, I'm just an annoying asshole on this site. I just like annoying assholes like yourself. Word I've got is there is far more sinister types out there with a real grudge on for a certain circle of people. Those said individuals know me because they contacted me. Noted is that they used an old email from 6+ years ago..

Why are so many radio people so fucking "syco" anyway?

September 23, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Corey

@ persona "Irvine"

I'm sure people are getting as sick of our little skirmish as I am so let me just note a couple things to finish it off.

1) About me retorting to everything you write. I could say the same about you, couldn't I? Think about it.

2) The fact that you think I'm "frothing at the mouth" over anything you write is highly amusing to me. Last weekend, for instance, I was totally entertained with our exchange. Sitting watching the football game, checking in every once in a while to see what ridiculous comment you'd made was admittedly kind of fun. Yes, I enjoyed dismantling every point you'd try to make. But it certainly wasn't out of anger.

You've admitted you're a troll, and at the very least a compulsive liar. What I'm wondering now is why you continue posting at all now that the cat is out of the bag. Yet you think others are psycho?

Last but not least, love the fact that you own an iPhone but had no idea that streetview was available to you. Thanks for the laughs, persona. Thought you were a tech-head. LMAO!

September 23, 2012 @ 6:17 PM