See You Next Tuesday Open Mike

Open MikeI'm posting this Open Mike from Amsterdam, looking forward to visiting Dublin this weekend. If you have any travel tips for Dublin, I'd love to read about them in the comments.

You can also let me know what's happening back home in Toronto. A glance at my Twitter feed tells me it's all about Rob Ford's hypocrisy and gas prices. Surely you can do better than that!

Comment away... and see you next Tuesday.

Rick C in Oakville

Yes Mike it is almost 24/7 Ford coverage along with the Teacher's dispute.
I am a supporter of Ford but he needs to get the optics right. The old saying of people in glass houses should not throw stones, applies here. He knows what is right or wrong on this issue as he was the one railing about it years ago, makes it sweeter for his enemies. He should be squeeky clean on this no matter what.

As for the teachers, their Union is giving them the worst strategy to combat McGuinty's government. We all know it isn't for the kids this strategy. The teachers should be going out and performing all these extra curricular's, etc. and then say we are doing it for the kids and really show this is where their focus is. The public would be more sympathetic to their beefs if so. No doubt there are administrative functions unrelated to the class room which they could use to irritate McGuinty with. The teachers are looking bad from the conversations I am having with other parents on this action.

September 14, 2012 @ 5:53 AM

J9

I visited Dublin with a toddler, so I didn't get into the bar hopping, craic-loving scene. But the hop-on hop-off bus gives a great view of the city and hubby enjoyed the Guinness museum (and free pint at the end!). Look for the scars from the civil war in the Post Office building. If there is a rugby game...catch it!

Slainte.

September 14, 2012 @ 6:59 AM

Corey

Twitter is having a polarizing effect on society by creating group think among like-minded people instead of encouraging people to evaluate issues through a variety of different sources. It's basically creating stronger political fences between left and right. Anyone disagree?

September 14, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

Blind Dave

@Corey

I'm not a twitter guy, though I think I get your point. Is it that an issue on twitter is either yes/no or black/white with no gray area?

I check out many different sources of daily news to get as many perspectives as I can. Even though I am mostly set in my ways, I do occasionally find the odd angle or opinion I hadn't thought of that will allow me to consider changing my mind.

September 14, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Argie

'We're not violent and we'll burn you alive (and sodomize you) if you say so."

Sincerely,
Enraged Muslim

September 14, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

@Corey

Twitter is a data conduit with a headline and a link for news. It's akin to walking by a group of newspaper boxes and reading the headlines. As for getting news from many sources it allows you to do that with far greater ease than surfing to the website.

The political fences are not created by Twitter but by a society that is built around individualism aka "generation me". This started thanks to the baby boomers who believed they had the right to never ending improvements in services and quality of life. They also believed the society and the government should pay for it. They're the people that the younger generation saddled with debt forcing that younger generation to lay more for school & more in taxes. Of course said folks believe they are "hard working free enterprise individuals". In short they are bums

September 14, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie...what the hell was the point of that?? Other than to be a shit disturbing troll....

September 14, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Phil,

Isn't this called "Open Mike"???

Do you have a soft spot for murderous, rabid dog muslims?

September 14, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Irvine

Love how Argie finds the most extreme example of a specific religion and tries to pass it as the norm

That's like me assume most of Ontarians are redneck bigoted asshole (like Argie).

BTW. I have on good word Argie is a persona, not the actual thoughts of a real person.

September 14, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Argie

Yes, Irv its all an act. I actually love all muslims, hate Rob Ford, and will always support the NDP.

September 14, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Irvine

Well Mike, Peter Lougheed died. He was 84 and died in the hospital that bares his name. Lougheed was an articulate and classy Conservative, something that seems to no longer exist (outside of Redford). CBC did a great bit on him on The Current hosted by Jim Brown, former morning show host on CBC R1 and director of the film Radiant City about urban sprawl.

While your mayor gives ppl the finger the mayor of Calgary offers up the following

I, like every Albertan of my generation, am a Lougheed baby. I was born the year after he was first elected, and I have never known an Alberta or a Canada that did not benefit from his legacy.
We owe him so much: our strong industries; our magnetic cities; our sense of identity within Canada.

He represented the Alberta that drew so many (my parents included) to live and work and thrive here. With him, we became greater as Albertans and as Canadians.

On behalf of all the people of Calgary, I express my heartfelt sorrow to Jeanne and the entire Lougheed family. He will be dearly missed by all.

Remember the line from Christopher Wren’s epitaph: “If you seek his monument – look around you.”

September 14, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Irv,

Nice tribute but you neglected to reference your black belt, BMW and gun tats.

September 14, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Paul

Maybe Rob Ford can arrange for some football training in the schools now that teacher/coaches are working to rule?
Elsewhere in the news, CKLN.FM's 88.1 frequency has gone to ROCK 95 out of Barrie. Success story for the stoats and weasels who laid siege to a valuable piece of airspace and handed it over to the corpo's. Well done, dips.

September 14, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - no, I have a soft spot for the other 99.9% of musilms who just want to live their lives....taking Al Quida and the like as an example of your typical muslim is like taking the Grand Dragon of the KKK as an example of your typical christian....

September 14, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Irvine

You can read Argie, right. The tribute was written by Nenshi, not me.

@Phil. Argie is a wannabe grand dragon just he is a weak old man who likely reads the Toronto Sun at Coffee Time while bitching about the "brown people". In real life he'd run like a motherfucker. Roaches scurry when the light shines on them

September 14, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Irv & Phil,

The KKK wouldn't want me - wrong religion and not white enough. Thanks, though.

September 14, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Phil,

99.9% of muslims? - try maybe 80%. When surveyed a few years ago whether the attacks of 9/11 were justified, 15% of muslims living in Canada answered "yes". There's the truth for you.

Its OK, just attack me for pointing out the obvious truth and ignore the daily terror this cult perpetrates.

September 14, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - A statement like that is all the better for proof. I can throw out percentages too.

September 14, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Mississauga Phil

And maybe if dumb hicks stopped calling them things like "rabid dogs" we'd have less of this crap...

September 14, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

Argie

Yes, Phil that would solve everything.

From now on I'll refer to them as 'peaceful protesters'.

September 14, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

MrFascination

Recently a movie was made where a man masturbates on top of a crucifix. The reaction from the Christian community? Their was peaceful protest but not a single person was injured nor was a single building or car damaged. It's called civilized protest.

What happening in with the Muslim protest shows a lack of respect for the human race or any kind of civilization. Barbaric! EVIL!

September 14, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

Mississauga Phil

No Arige, it would not solve everything...however, if we consider ourselves so soicially and morally superior, then we should be able to find a better way of settling our differences.

September 14, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

4x4 Time

First Harry and now Kate. Is there no end to this mad obsession of what the Royals do when they are off the clock? C'mon man...

September 14, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

@MrFascination

Yeah cuz Christians never go off and bring in violence to prove a point. You know like"........

- anti abortionists who blow up clinics and kill doctors

- hate groups that espouse the writings in the bible then drag gays behind a truck (or blacks)

- and most certainly there is no Christian terrorism in Northern Ireland. In case u aren't counting more ppl have died in that terrorism than in 9/11

Reading. It's good for you

September 14, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Irv,

You're such a defender of Islam. Did you acquire your love for Mo in prison - like your urban brothas?

There's no comparison. Sorry, despite the violence caused by crazed Christians it still pales in comparison to violence caused by crazed msulims.

September 14, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Cheryl

Stupid Bell sent me some more mail. I don't want anything from them. Actually Rogers sent me some as well. They want me to join or something. Well, I'm not. Rogers and Bell are both ripoffs. Primus is a lot better, no comparison. You all should get rid of Rogers or Bell and join Primus. You won't believe how much money you'll save and how tood they really are. Grocery Gateway screwed up again. They missed a fewe things and now they have the excuse that they're moving everything into one store, but still has some glitches. I mean why is this taking so long. As for getting on facebook and complaining, for some reason Facebook doesn't work with my speech software. Well, let's have a baseball lockout instead of a hockey lockout. Get rid of boring baseball, and it won't be back for five years or more. Baseball is so boring.

September 14, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

Corey

@Irvine - so lets get this straight. 9/11, in a single day, killed 86% (2,996 including the terrorists) of the amount killed over the entire 30 year span of "the troubles" (3,466). Were you trying to prove Argie's point, or dispute it?

September 14, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Corey

Oh, and here's another one for you to chew on. Between 1993 and 2009, 8 people associated with abortion, including 4 doctors were murdered (average 1 person every two years). Want to guess how many people died in the same period due to attacks attributed to Islamic terrorism? I'll get you started: 13 March 1993 - Bombay bombings. Mumbai, India. 250 dead, 700 injured. That's one. Need more? I'm not a racist, nor anti-Muslim, but to pretend there isn't a greater propensity fort violence by Islamist extremists over Christians is absurd.

September 14, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

4x4 Time

Anyone using Bell Fibe TV? What do you think about it? I live in Burlington, and they are offering some pretty good deals.

September 14, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

Irvine

Corey. I believe Hitler said he was on a divine mission from God to destroy the Jews

Then again Stalin was an atheist and he killed around 20 million. So clearly non its the atheists that are the real killers

Stop watching mainstream corporate media to formulate your opinions.

September 14, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Corey

Irv - I have to remind myself occasionally why it's so pointless to engage you. Why don't you specifically address the points you made about the IRA terrorism vs. 9/11 etc.? Typical Irvine M.O. - when backed against a wall, either use a deflection, or drop completely out of the thread.

September 14, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Irvine

OK Corey, let me engage you on the topic of terrorism in the UK.

I'm not trying to diminish the events of 9/11 but there is no comparison between 9/11 & the "troubles" in the UK/Northern Ireland. But there is a huge difference.

9/11 was a huge & tragic event whereas the terrorism in the UK/NI is an ongoing event. What's the difference? (beside body count?)

Well in the UK/NI live in constant fear of violence. For decades it has been a daily part of their lives. Let's talk about something as simple as a unmarked van parking in front of a pub setting off serious alarm. Do you know how many people have been killed by explosions from vans or cars just while walking down the street? Do you think there is a reason the entire urban core of London is blanketed in security cameras? Not just buildings dude, everywhere. Do most North Americans fear this?

Or how about the continual presence of fully armed military personnel in the streets (Belfast). These forces can & do detain citizens & can do so, WITHOUT CAUSE. Does that happen to most American citizens?

And do the "Muslim terrorists" have political power in the USA? No they do not. But in the UK/NI they do. Have you ever heard of the Sein Fein? That's the political wing of the IRA & they have ample representation in the House in the UK (at several levels).

OH & there are still regular riots & chaos in certain parts of the UK. The level of terrorism has fallen since Good Friday but it's not gone.

And finally..and this is important. While the death toll isn't much different between the two incidents, what is different is the injuries to innocent people. Over 100,000 innocent people have been hurt, injured or maimed because of this terrorism. Is that the case in the USA?

No comparison. The difference is that you watch American media, not local UK media.

September 14, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

andrew

WTF - all comments SUCK so far, but it's your prerogative to state your opinions.

@Mike

You should invite all your regular commenter's together & just have it out, but I'm sure all said & done we will all HUG together.

September 14, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Stephanie

I saw the Madonna concert on Wednesday with my daughter, as well as a friend and her daughter. We (as adults) are both in mid 40s and grew up with Madonna as a shock artist but still went to this concert which was not our first. Garbage. Blowing brains out? Shouting mother-f**ker several times in the first 15 minutes? Really?? We left after 45 minutes (watching gang rape isn't our thing nor something we want out 12 year old daughters to really understand). I watched ET Canada last night (Thursday) to see if they said anything about the concert or how late it started.. nothing. Not one thing. It was true media intervention.. no one could go on camera about that concert and be able to continue to exist after dissing Madonna. I know several people who went to the concert (I'm referring to Wednesday) who had nothing good to say. She forgot the words and her political speech was lame.

September 14, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Stephanie

I meant to also include my love for the Nut Hut Shit Show, and how much I love and laugh at that name. But if I had the opportunity to refer to the Madonna show in a derogatory fashion, I would call HER show the nut hut shit show. Maybe I'd simplify and just call it the Shit Show.

September 14, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

MrFascination

Irvine - Christians DO NOT condone violence as a form of protest.. You will have crazy people in every segment of the population...

What has been the reaction of the Muslim community concerning the violence? NONE! Expect more protest and violence.

Jesus taught us to turn the other cheek. Mohammad taught revenge.

September 14, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Rosie

When will society stop being so obsessed with boobs? Or am I dreaming, that will never happen will it? Who cares that Kate was topless? I mean, I know they were princess boobies but the preoccupation with a glimpse of celebrity boobs is just insane. CBC was reporting on it with the same earnestness as the unrest in Cairo. I guess I answered my own question... as long as the media treats bare boobs as news, they will continue to be news, and magazines will continue to use unsavoury methods to get photographs that will sell more magazines.

September 14, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Stephanie: It probably has as much to do with Madonna rebranding for a younger audience, the expletive deletives are as much a part of young urban culture, and she no doubt wants to keep the Shit Show running. I remember the Madonna of the 80's a bit of shock and schlock, but a great entertainer.

September 15, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

Cheryl

Well, hockey is going on strike. Stupid idiots. Why can't they just play anyway. Who cares about the stupid unions. Let's lock baseball out instead. We don't need baseball. I don't have that Fibe TV from Bell or whatever. I don't have Bell because I hate them. Get Primus. Primus is a lot better than Bell or Rogers although I don't think they have TV, but who cares. Their internet service is so good. It was only down twice and both times, it wasn't down for very long at all. Primus has great technical support people if you need them which isn't very often at all. My phone is on my internet. I have no land line. I was told my phone could be down a few times every so often, but it was only down twice when the internet was down. When I had Sympatico, they were down lots, and the technical support people couldn't speak english and took them a long time to admit that they were down. Now I don't have Bell anymore. Just wish they would stop sending me junk mail.

September 15, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

Douglas

@Paul - Yes, Toronto 88.1 has gone to a company that already operates other radio stations, but I would hardly call them "corporate" in their approach to what they plan on putting on-air. Credit to Ryan for the original post here:
Read the links in the post and you should feel more positive about the CRTC's decision.

Rock95's owners are smaller. They are not CTVBellwellowneverythingwecan, Corus, Astral (oh, wait, Bell wants to buy them, too), et al. They are more along the lines of Durham Radio, who have, I think all of four stations, one being the host of the David Marsden shows. Let's let the new 88.1 take their best shot at what they are promising. They might just deliver.

September 15, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

@Mr Fascination

Yes dude, some Christians DO condone violence & they use it. Have you ever actually read the bible or the Qu'ran? Both are free downloads in iBooks. If you'd like a good example of Christians supporting & condoning violence, try the book of Leviticus. It condones the use of violence including against those who shave their facial hair or work on Sunday amongst other things.

In fact, as a person who took the time to read both the Qu'ran & Bible, I'd say the bible is far more violent (specially the old testament). That said, both books contradict their own words.

Comparing the violence of one religion to another is like comparing the violence levels of two bike gangs. A fringe element exists in all religions (sans Buddhism). The apparent high levels of violence have little to do with reality & everything to do with media coverage. Media likes a good story and the evil "Muslim Terrorists" make for one. 25 years ago the Muslim terrorists didn't exist in USA lexicon. What existed was "commie's and pinko's. The USA needs an "enemy" and, with the "Pinko Commies" now gone, they found Muslim's. The paranoia against Muslims mirrors that of the McCarthism era against communism. Best example of that paranoia was Colonel Flagg on MASH.

@Rick C: I think Deadmau5 nailed it when he called Madonna an "idiot" after a comment she made promoting drug use.

Madonna is definitely showing her age. Only someone from her generation would think that acting like a rebel (swearing, sexual references) makes one cool. That worked in the era of "mullet head" rock which is the era when Madonna was in her prime. Noted is that Deadmau5, one of the worlds top pop stars/DJ's called her out on promoting drug use saying drugs had held back the dance (EDM) music scene. Deadmau5 is actually a real person while Madonna is part of the "music machine" from the past.

September 15, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

Corey

Irvine, you are so completely out of your depth on this subject, it's embarrassing. Quit while you're ahead. To try and prove that Christians condone violence by pointing to a chapter in the Old Testament demonstrates you have a fundamental ignorance of Christianity. It's kind of hilarious actually.

And you know what the media loves? Sensationalism, and a high body count. Do you honestly believe if there were examples of Christian related terrorism that even approached the scale of Islamist ones, they wouldn't report it?

September 15, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Irvine

LOL, re: high body count & media reporting it.

You mean like Rwanda? Or the Sudan? Or the events in the Middle East that don't include American involvement. They all had some pretty high body counts & were sensational. I mean really man, you actually think the media WOULD pay attention?

You know, the media. The same media that invests copious amounts of time if there is a white kid shot in the Eaton's centre, but mostly ignores anyone that isn't a middle/upper class white kid shot in a shopping mall.

Or the media that put forth huge effort in the disappearance of Matthew Huszak in Vancouver after he left the Lamplighter in Gastown and disappeared. Of course the media failed to report that said person was apparently spotted with a Eastside street walker, donuts & apparently buying crack. I mean you certainly can't add those PERTINENT AND IMPORTANT details to a story because it doesn't carry the same mystery as "innocent missing white guy disappears".

Trust me dude, N O - O N E goes for a stroll into the DTES, apparently hooks up with a street walker & is reported being seen in a Eastside SRO (single room occupancy). No one unless you've did it again. Of course the "media" didn't report those details because that would have changed the story.

On a fucking idiot would buy into the media as a "accurate" portrayal of the world around us. If "Christians" were the enemy every single thing they did would be front and centre on the news at 6 PM.

September 15, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Corey

Got that everyone? We've been duped. There is just as much Christian inspired terrorism and killing in the world, they just aren't telling us about it. Only Irvine is in the know. Nevermind that his only big example of this type of terrorism is the IRA. Strange that it was one of the most heavily documented conflict - according to Irvine that should really have been swept under the rug.

Irvine, why don't you enlighten us all, and share your anti-establishment sources. You know, the one that informed you 100,000 innocents were injured by IRA bombings?

As usual, you make some pretty stupid assumptions. Like assuming I get my news from American media, or that I trust any news provider to be fair or accurate in their coverage. But if you're trying to tell me that if a Christian organization bombed the NYC subway tomorrow we wouldn't hear about it through every major news organization in North America, you're wasting your time.

September 15, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

elvis

Three years ago today I was diagnosed with cancer. I've been kicking cancer's ass for 1095 days and counting.

September 15, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

twins from bolton

@ elvis

Me TOO in 1994 when my twins were 3 yrs old. Testicular cancer & clean since. Diagnosed on a Friday & the next Tues in operating room. This would probably not happen today.

Be strong elvis - keep counting & keep posting as I love your comments.

September 15, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Irvine

Sure dude, on one hand you claim we "hear" about more Muslim violence in the media, than chastise me for claiming I make the assumption you "trust any news provider to be fair or accurate".

Would we hear it on the news if a Christian terrorist group bombed the subway? Of course. It's whether we'd hear about it if it happened in elsewhere in the world. Our "news media" gave almost no coverage to Rwanda. Why? Because the death of nearly 1 million black people in the course of a year isn't newsworthy in North America.

Let me ask you Corey. The Muslim religion is thousands of years old. Prior to the end of the Cold War, we heard little to nothing about Muslim terrorists outside of maybe the Contra's. So because there was no media coverage, we should assume then there was no violence, correct? Or was it because it had no sales power with the media at the time.

IN case you missed it, the USA is fundamentalist Christian. Do you expect the media to air negative shit about the religion that's practiced by most of the country? Fuck slick, they can't even say anything negative about hand gun ownership regardless of the fact 25 000 people a year die from getting shot

As for my claim on the number of people who were injured in UK terrorism, well it came from a book I have in my spare room. You see slick, I'm a first generation Canadian. Take a guess where my family history lies? Let me give you a hint. They drink lots of beer, like fish & chips & have stiff upper lips.

Dood, you simply aren't smart enough to challenge me in a war of words. Go find an easier antagonist. Try someone with a narrow mind, like, say Argie

September 15, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

@Elvis

That's great to hear & I wish you all the best. I was in a wheelchair a few years back and I was unsure if I'd ever walk again. I understand the emotional & mental devastation one faces & the strength needed to stand up, fight back and win. Good on you for kicking some ass. I sincerely hope your life is long & filled with happiness.

September 15, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

Corey

Irving, there a difference between WHAT the media reports and HOW they report it (i.e.: the spin/slant they put on the story). If I read about a major international event that is reported by the world's major news services, I believe it happened. It doesn't mean I have to swallow the perspective of any specific news organization. Rwanda is a good example - despite what you say, Rwanda WAS reported on - front page news, cover of TIME, etc., from the very beginning. The problem was it was presented to western audiences simply as mindless tribal warfare. If people were told this was a bunch of "primatives" killing each other, their less likely to give a shit. That was the media failing. Not lack of reporting.

Give me the title and author and publisher of the book in your spare room. Remember, we were talking about the IRA specifically. Between 1969 and 1998, there were 3,466 deaths attributed to IRA violence. I'd be interested in reading the book that claims there was 30 people injured for every person killed in that 29 year span. Guess where my family history lies? I'll give you a hint - my ancestry should make me an expert on the IRA, according to your logic.

By the way, Islam is not "thousands of years old". It's about 1400. You've already proven you're not very good at this religion stuff though. The reason we didn't hear of terrorist violence until after the Cold War (not entirely accurate, but I'll play along) is because prior to that, and prior to the global dependance on oil, the Middle East was under the boot of European powers. It wasn't until they became independent and wealthy and exposed to constant US interference that the problems started to manifest themselves.

Do you really want to keep going? I've discredited every point you've tried to make on this, but yet I'm not smart enough? Funny guy. You don't know when you've been utterly destroyed.

September 15, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Irvine

Corey, click on the link and scroll to the bottom.

BTW slickster, my aren't you passionate about this. You do realize that "Irvine" is a persona right? I developed it solely to taunt & torture super opinionated people online. It has been more effective than I have ever imagined. Here's how it works

1. I write this rambling post on something

2. You reply that you stopped reading after the first paragraph saying I'm an ego-centric asshole

3. Then, even though you are not reading anything I write, you pick each post apart, line by line. I retort and you immediately retort back BUT you claim you're not reading past the first paragraph.

4. Then you try to elicit support from everyone else on this site hoping they'll all turn on me. Well guess what!. They already hate me LOLOLOL. Shit I could come on here and say "have a good morning everyone" and people would have something negative to say.

I mean geez Corey, even I had the decency to acknowledge the personal battle "Elvis" went through. You were just too busy being filled with venom against moi.

In short dude, you've been had. As soon as I read your spew against "most muslims" I knew you'd be an easy target. It's like taunting the idiots on SOWNY. Fish in a barrel. Truth is that you ARE angry. I'm not LOL

Now, I will NOT be replying to this post. The reason is Elvis was ranting on Twitter about how this blog had gone to hell. What I will do is go have a shower cause I just jogged. I'mma wash with my new lufa (shower puff). I bought it today. It's awesome man. Scrub a dub dub.

September 15, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Corey

Nope, you won't reply to this, but you will read it. I read every post of yours that you direct personally to me. Never said otherwise. But thanks for letting everyone know that everything you write is BS, and that you are essentially a troll. The fact that you admitted this, and are entertained by it is actually pretty sad, but at least I know I can ignore you from now on.

September 15, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Cheryl

Irvine, you ramble on and on. I agree with most who don't like your posts. Elvis, good thing you got rid of your cancer. Hope it stays that way. Hockey players don't need to strike. It's stupid unions. I want my hockey. Lock baseball out instead.

September 15, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

MrFascination

Irvine - You have issues.... Your view of things is sooo twisted that you confuse and contradict yourself..
You're a complete waste of time.

September 15, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Cheryl

It's official. Hockey is on strike. Stupid union jerks. I really hate unions so much and these players make enough money. Well, no hockey for a long time. We probably won't get a hockey season this season.

September 16, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

Gary

Bettman's legacy could be defined right now.

September 16, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Gary

Bettman's legacy could be defined right now.

September 16, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

dave

Love this blog, reading it while watching NFL count down makes my Sunday. Irv, Argie keep up the good work...

September 16, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Thanks, dave (I think).

Since I last posted there have been numerous violent demonstrations/riots throughout the middle east. There has also been a young muslim in Chicago arrested for suspected terrorism.

Wow, thank you Muslim world for proving me right. I dont take any pleasure in this as hundreds if not thousands of innocent people (mostly other Muslims) will surfer at the hands of these animals.

September 16, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Pigeon Toed Dave

Me thinks there are no Jerry Lewis statues in Dublin, just in France.

September 16, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Cheryl

Well, they're all acting like idiots, both sides, the players and the owners. Just stop the nonsense and start hockey. They just want to start stuff up. Just stop the lockout already. Lock out baseball instead.

September 16, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

dave

Ok then, my 2 cents, Religion is the main cause of military confict in this world today.If you want to kill someone in the name of Alah or God then you are a certified idiot..Do you really think there is someone up in the sky watching this shit go down. Fuck God and Fuck Alah..There I said it...

September 16, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Corey

Interesting. A film called "Paradise: faith", the second in a planned trilogy, just won the Special Jurors Prize at the 69th Venice International Film Festival. This is a film that depicts a devout Catholic woman masturbating with a crucifix, among other things. When do the demonstrations and violence start? Oh wait, they won't, because when Christianity is insulted, it's "art". When Islam is insulted, it's a despicable provocation, according to The Star.

September 16, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Elvis - way to go....my dad reicently beat the big C...it's uplifiting to know that more and more people are winning this fight.

@ Arige and Corey- I have just two words for you....the crusades...christians invaded and proceeded to rape a muder huindreds of thousands of muslims....

However, yes they do need to accept that other people are going to critisize their religon and they do need to learn to deal with it without resorting to violence...

September 17, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Pam Crowchild

White man killed millions of my people after we not accept your God. Stole us from our families, put us in residential schools, raped us and made us worship God & speak his tongue.

September 17, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

Argie

Phil: Wrong. It didn't go that way at all. It was a war between Christians and muslims after the muslims invaded Christian land. Oh and it was almost a 1000 years ago - can we deal with current events?

Pam: $11 billion from the federal govt annually has more than made up any mistreatment of "your people" (whatever that means).

September 17, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Arige - Agreed on your comment to Pam.

September 17, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie- below is the frist line in the wikipeidia entry on the crusades:

The Crusades were a series of religious expeditionary wars blessed by Pope Urban II and the Catholic Church, with the stated goal of restoring Christian access to the holy places in and near Jerusalem

EXPEDITIONRY meas expanding....as in conquoring...just saying

September 17, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Phil,

I hate to rely on wikipedia but you left this part out:

"with the stated goal of restoring Christian access to the holy places in and near Jerusalem. Jerusalem was and is a sacred city and symbol of all three major Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity and Islam).[1] The background to the Crusades was set when the Seljuk Turks decisively defeated the Byzantine army in 1071 and cut off Christian access to Jerusalem. The Byzantine emperor, Alexis I feared that all Asia Minor would be overrun. He called on western Christian leaders and the papacy to come to the aid of Constantinople by undertaking a pilgrimage or a crusade that would free Jerusalem from Muslim rule.[2] Another cause was the destruction of many Christian sacred sites and the persecution of Christians under the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim."

I like the part about Asia Minor being "overrun". It turns out he was right - Asia Minor and many parts of the world has been overrun by the scourge of islam. Their M.O. of convert or be killed has gone on for the past 1000 years. Thank God they were later stopped and turfed out in southern Europe by the Catholic forces.

September 17, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Argie

To those atheists, just one question:

If you had to choose, what kind country would you rather live in? A Christian based country or a islamic based country.

September 17, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - I concede your point. And the answer to you other questions is pretty obvious.

That being said, I still think that there are better ways of sovling these issues than blaming an entire group of people for the actions of a few.

September 17, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

Cheryl

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God, but that's my opinion. As for what kind of country I would rather live in, I never thought about it. I don't know.

September 17, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

andrew

@ Cheryl

Since you love the HAB NOTS you should live in Quebec as they NOT be a part of Canada soon.

Hope U speak Francais?? Do they have their own GOD - YA, Maurice Richard.

September 17, 2012 @ 5:59 PM