Eurotrip Open Mike

Open MikeI'm off to Paris, Amsterdam and Dublin. I'll likely post a few times from across the pond, but this is where I'll need you all to tell me what I missed.

In addition to sharing anything that's on your mind, track what's making news in Toronto, which celebrities have passed away and what's going on with Rob Ford's conflict of interest case.

Comment away!

Mississauga Phil

As many of you know, I am in no way a fan of Rob Ford. I think he is a horrible mayor, and embarassment for Toronto, and quite frankly, an idiot.

That being saud, I think this conflict of interst thing is a load of crap.....about the only GOOD think I can say about Rob Ford is that he does lots of charity work for low income kids...he gets them into sports and off the street. I think all the left leaners out there are as bad a Ford is for going after him for this. The guy was raising money for sports programs. He knows a bunch of rich people and managed to pry some cash out of them for a good cause.

If you want Rob Ford out of office (and I do) do it the right way, by voting him out. It is a shame that we are attacking the guy for the one thing he does right.

....just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

September 7, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Meow

Dear text messaging idiots that attended the musical, "Wicked" last night. You have an addiction. Your not that important that you need to stay that connected. You make people want to slap you in the trachea.

September 7, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Mississauga Phil

...ditto on people who hold up their cell phone in place of a lighter at a concert....you also must be slapped in the trachea

@Meow--why the trachea...there are many more painful places to be slapped

September 7, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Elba

Based on feedback I saw on this blog, I rented The Wire Season 1 from the Library. I'll watch it this weekend!

September 7, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Wayner

@Mississauag Phil

I couldn’t agree more...it would be the irony of all ironies if he was to be kicked out office for this indiscretion. There are so many others to choose from…

September 7, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Ryan G

In between speeches last night at the Democratic convention, CNN had panelists chime in with their thoughts.

I'm very very sorry, but HD and Madeline Albright are two things that simply should never mix.

Never.

September 7, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Meow

I chose the trachea because they wouldn't expect being slapped there. Plus the choking would give them a moment of pause.

September 7, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Ryan G

@Meow

If I was to watch you slap someone, I would prefer you chose the trachea as well.

It's just so much funnier.

Plus, you'll get a reputation for being a bad-ass psycho who karate-chops people in the the throat. I wouldn't fuck with someone who's known to do that kind of shit.

September 7, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

Mississauga Phil

Agreed...meow is a bad-ass...trachea slaps all around

September 7, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Sammy

Rob Ford is his own worst enemy. He should have just paid back the $ he owed. What's $3000 to Rob Ford?

Anyways, he should know the rules and follow the rules - that's his damn job.

So it might look petty, but it was a conflict of interest and he did do this to himself.

Besides, we're better off without him.

September 7, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

Declan

Safe travels, Mike!

Does this mean I have to wait for episode 3 of Toronto Mike'd? I'm hooked!

And yes, trachea slaps all around.

September 7, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Sammy - I agree we're better off without Rob Ford. However, punishing a guy for using his connections to get money to help underprivlaged kids play sports is low.

I don't care if he stood out front of City Hall begging with a timmies cup, he's helping kids who really need it. If Rob Ford had attacked some letfist councilor for something similar, we'd all be calling him a tyrant and that he was nitpicking....this is a case fo the ends justifying the means..

At the end of the day, kids who couldn't afford to play sports now can because of Rob Ford.

Attack him for his policies, or for the garbage that spews out of his mouth on a daily basis, but don't punish a guy for helping kids that the rest of us forgot all about..

September 7, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Argie

Why do people say Ford is a lousy mayor when the only negatives that they can put on him are personal (yes, he's fat, may have some domestic issues and is awkward in crowds)?

In terms of the job he's done as mayor - he's been great. He outsourced garbage collection which will save the city millions and in his 1.5 years as mayor, he's saved the city on other ways. Under Miller and his polit bureau, the city was headed for bankruptcy.

The subway/LRT mess was not his entire fault. You had a few two faced councilors who stabbed him in the back after they had promises to back Ford.

Admittedly, Ford can be stubborn but just because he doesn't want to attend the "parade" almost everyone loves, doesn't make him a lousy mayor.

September 7, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Wayner

The jury is still out on whether Rob Ford is a good Mayor. Only time will tell if the changes put in place will lead to success. However, he is definitely not a Leader…and there is a distinction to be made between the two

September 7, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Rosie

@Elba The Wire is great... it really hits its groove in season two, so even if you don't absolutely love season one press on with season two. And season four is WOW, and the season that made my husband declare it a better show than the Sopranos. We are still debating that around here however, I am not ready to go there.

September 7, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

Sam in Pickering

It's 2:09pm EDT and no celebrities of note have died today.

Also, no wars have broken out and Rob Ford is still mayor.

September 7, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - you're right, none of the things you mentioned make him a lousy mayor...

being a lousy mayor makes him a lousy mayor

September 7, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Lyle Lanley

Rob Ford's record and failure to lead speaks for itself.

Worst mayor ever. And that includes Mel Lastman who looks much better in retrospect.

September 7, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

Speysidephil

Argie there is just no point in trying to get through to he lefties on this blog.
Ford haters no matter how good he does.
They just can't get over the fact he won!

September 7, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Cheryl

Well, my personal trainer is curling in a spiel in Oakville this weekend. He just lost his first game. Hopefully he'll win the next one. We'll see. At least there is my ttrainer's curling to follow if no hockey. Football has started. I hope my Arizona Cardinals win the superbowl. Football is a little better than baseball, but then they have all kinds of timeouts and challenges, things like that. I wish there were more people like me without cellphones. They should ban cellphones, not cell them anymore, and then people wouldn't text or talk. If I'm out, people can email me or leave me a message. That's how it works. As for Rob Ford, everyone should have voted for George Smitherman. He would have been a good mayor if he got in. Right now Smitherman isn't doing anything.

September 7, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

elvis

Wonderfully brilliant:

Link

September 7, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Speysidephil

Smitherman not doing anything?
What else is new?

September 7, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Toronto couldn't afford Smitherman, his fingers were on a few files that have blown up in the Liberals faces and wasted billions of Ontario Taxpayers cash that could have been put to much better use, like funding green energy and windmills (okay I'm throwing that in there for sh$ts and giggles, it is Open Mike after all.

Ford has saved the city some bucks, started changing some of the city staffs slacker attitude, and should be lauded for that. He did fumble the transit debate, but no one has been ever able to pull this off. Even Karen Stintz got crucified under her proposal.

September 7, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Irvine

@Rick C in Oakville

How is funding wind turbines a waste of money? In Alberta I used wind generated power which cost a tiny bit more than coal power (like 3 bucks a month more). Let's talk subsidies... You know, like how the nuclear industry is subsidized & doesn't account for the cost of disposal of the old fission rods. Funny bud, but YOUR province has a shit fit over the environment affects of the oil sands, but NEVER seems concerned about nuclear waste disposal (or pollution from coal) OR environmental pollution from natural gas extraction. You famously unload the cost on everyone else. You know, like how Toronto expects the rest of the province to gleefully accept their garbage?

I think it was TransAlta (they're from Alberta, fyi) did a study on electrical generation with offshore Great Lake turbines. The synopsis was that the Great Lakes could produce enough power to light up ALL of North America. It was feasible too. I spent 5.5 years in the energy industry, I can't imagine them throwing away money on something that wouldn't make them money. It ain't how it works.

Rob Ford is an idiot. Only a brain dead moron could defend him. He has no sense as a politician AT ALL. Telling the world he reads and drives because he is "busy" is MORE ARROGANT than even I can be on my FINEST day. And his defense of his current scandal is so thick headed it's actually difficult to believe HE IS that stupid.

And as for the subway thing, sorry, where was the money going to come from? Did he hope Alison Redford might lend him 8 billion? I mean, DUH, the TTC isn't properly functioning NOW. How it's supposed to with more lines and more riders? It's akin to adding an addition on to your house when you don't have any windows or doors in the original part of the house.

BTW, how about the KW by-election. A 22 year PC riding goes NDP in a landslide. Oh the political wind is leaning left in Ontario isn't it. Harper is done & over. Mulcair/Trudeau are going to tag team & vapourize him.

Unless of course you believe Hudak & that it was "union money and influence" that bought the riding. Yeah, yeah, that's it. Clearly it was union influence on ALL those highly educated, affluent high tech workers that call Waterloo home. All 0% of them that are in unions.

PS. And no mention of Krista Ford and her "don't dress like a whore" comment? She looked much like a whore in her lingerie football uniform

Clearly the Ford family are all idiots. Maybe someone should create FordRealityTV.

September 7, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Joe Jackson

@ Irvine:

Mark,you are so right!

September 7, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

twins from bolton

Rob Ford is right!! Saving $ for you all of U living in T.Dot to pay more taxes.

Cutbacks - AGREE 100%.

You people in Toronto just don't get it. My property taxes have doubled in 10 years & I pay because I love living here.

Safest city in Canada for 2nd yr. going onto the 3rd yr. Caledon ROCKS.

September 7, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Irvine

@Twins

Hope u work in Bolton. Hate to imagine you're a freeloader using city roads, transit and infrastructure while not paying city taxes. Certainly folks in Toronto types rarely use Bolton services.

So where do you work?

September 7, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

McNulty

@Irvine

Please explain how you only used Wind Power in Alberta. They have a power grid like Ontaro's and you cannot pick and choose what power source is being directed to your home. Yes , Alberts has wind, just like Ontario but you cannot say your sole source of power was wind.

But to your overall point. Yeah, Rick has no clue how it all works. They throw around these large numbers that green energy has cost without actually proving the validity of those numbers.

September 8, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

Cheryl

Smitherman isn't doing anything right now as he lost the election. Smitherman really would have been a great mayor. The problem with you guys is that you don't know him. Anyway, another curling loss last night. Some team from Calgary beat them. That's no good and I never even heard of the Calgary team before. Anyway, let's lock out baseball. How about a real long baseball lockout of five years or more. No more baseball. It would be wonderful.

September 8, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Irvine

@McNulty: You pay a premium for renewable energy in Alberta. The utility is required (and audited) to add your load to wind power production. Do you get the actual electrons from Turbine C? Of course not, it's added to the system. The Calgary LRT has been wind powered for 10 years. Fact is people hate renewable energy because it's a NIMBY thing. The claim it kills birds is bullshit. Buildings, cars & cats kill a lot more birds. Maybe I should petition for a banning of cars and cats. It's an excuse used by the NIMBY types because it sounds better than "I hate renewable energy". Like how "family values" are used to trump gay marriage because "I hate f@ggots" doesn't fly in 2012.

And for the claim that it's the "loonie left" that hates Ford. Is that so? I hate Ford. I almost always vote right wing. I voted PC in the last Alberta election. I voted for Nenshi who is a fiscal conservative. At one time I even supported the Wildrose Alliance prior to their gay hating bible thumping bullshit. I've got the receipts to prove it. Does that make me a "lefty"?

I am right wing, but frankly I find it difficult to defend & support the "right wing". They're all about galvanizing opinion & then denigrating the opinions of others. The right wing were once articulate folks that understand government & business could have a relationship (like how Peter Lougheed invested public funds in the oil sands). Today "right wing" seems to be more about starting petty battles, name calling & drawing lines in the sand. If you aren't with us, you're anti business and a pinko commie. Yeah, like Germany. And Sweden. And those pinko commie oil drilling Norwegians. Strange how successful & desired Vancouver is yet it's run by "socialists".

You know what the problem with Rob Ford is? It's a problem that afflicts the "right wing" in these modern times. Rob Ford is stupid. He lacks the capacity to understand what populist means. He lacks the capacity to understand as mayor he represents the CITY of TORONTO and all it's people. Your JOB as mayor is to be out and attend those functions. That's what you signed up for. Imagine if Rob Ford was a doctor? "Sorry, I can't do the operation this weekend, I usually go to the cottage with my family". You signed up for the job, so STFU and do the job. Any person who is employed a senior level with that type of responsibility knows those sacrifices come with the territory.

Funny how this blog seems to have become an extension of SOWNY. A bunch of angry old men stuck in the past, just the past isn't 1974 it's 1994. What's more funny is I can remember my early 20's. My peers often derided the "old people" for being stuck in the past listening to their music. Now those same people do EXACTLY the same thing. Instead of the Beatles it's about how awesome Pearl Jam is. Or the Foo Fighters. Or any other clone of a clone grunge band. It's funny because they've become exactly what they despised. They are old.

September 8, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

twins from bolton

@Irvine

I work in Peel Region which Bolton is part of so I guess I work in a my domain.

Many from TO use Hwy 50 (main road in Bolton) to get to there summer vacation residences as opposed to using Hwys 400 or 27 on the weekend.

Just watch when driving on 50 for the gravel ruts on the road, extremely dangerous in the winter.

September 8, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Glad to see you are back in full form Irvine. I don’t have the valuable industry insight you have, but my comment was more related to we couldn’t afford Smitherman if he was Mayor. He started the sole source deal with Samsung promising Green Energy subsidies, huge payback per KWH, and robust Green energy manufacturing, that would replace jobs lost to the manufacturing sector.
This of course has not happened and instead of the 1% annual cost to Hydro it was suppose to be, it is more like 7.9% and rising. Ontario’s Auditor General even called them out on this in his report http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en11/2011ar_en.pdf

We all want a green future but at what cost?
We all know of the Ehealth and Ornge shenanigans that started with Smitherman also.

In defence of Twins, Toronto needs the limestone from the Quarries in Caledon to keep on building, and the skilled construction workers who come from Vaughn. Can’t draw boundaries that easily.

September 8, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Irvine

@Rick C

In Ontario it's not renewable energy that's the failure. The failure is the government in structure & it's methodology of pursuing a future with "green energy". It's akin to blaming the auto industry because people drink and drive and kill others. Place the blame squarely on the Ontario Liberal government. Like Rob Ford, McQuinty & his clan also amaze me at their lack of political acumen. Dalton COMPLETELY destroyed any credibility that the green energy industry has in Ontario. He's SO dense he can't even point out his environmental wins. Nanticoke, once the single largest polluter in Canada, has cut it's carbon emissions by 50% in 5 years.

Most people in Ontario are clueless to how the energy industry works. They expect an endless supply of cheap gasoline, oil, coal & electricity. They petition the government because they don't like windmills "ruining their view". Really? Perhaps you'd care to have an oil rig complete with sour gas flaring towers on your land? Or how about we block that view with YOUR share of the oil sands sludge?

@Twins

Did you give thought to how Toronto's transit system has to carry 100's of thousands of suburbanites daily? They pay no taxes to the Toronto government. Did you give thought to the thousands of miles of roads suburbanites drive on, but pay no property taxes to maintain. Did you ever give thought to how it's Toronto that often accepts & pays for the poor & destitute in this society? How about we put some of those homes for recovering crack addicts in Bolton? You'd be screaming bloody murder, but hey, it's no problem when they're in Toronto.

I rarely defend Toronto but I will this time. As a former Albertan, I have an acute understanding of what "freeloading" is. How people show up to your city, demand everything & give nothing in return. And worse, they snicker at the place & remind everywhere that where they come from is so much better.

Danielle Smith was once asked about her thoughts on Alberta. How it created enormous wealth. How it gave ALL Canadians an opportunity to improve their lives; enhance their career. How it gave people the dignity of a job to feed their families.

Her response was this "We get nothing. Not even gratitude". The citizens & taxpayers of Toronto can say the same thing.

September 8, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

twins from bolton

@ Irvine

That's part of the reason I left Toronto after 40 years.
TO's population is HUGE & why haven't taxes increased the same % as other areas outside of TO last few years.

September 8, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Irvine

@Twins

I'm not saying you have to live there, but your one post struck me as condescending.

I'm sure to piss off people with this comment but the reality is that it's the truth. Cities, especially urban dwellers subsidize people who live in the suburbs and exurbs. Tell me how is it that the thousands of people within a few blocks of Bloor & Bathurst pay higher taxes than the 10 people on some cul de sac out in the boonies? It's pretty simple because those people subsidize those that live in the exurbs & new suburbs.

The answer is simple. Taxes for those in the burbs should be MUCH higher than those downtown. Toronto should also institute a toll for people who want to drive into the City. London has had that for years. And the TTC should set up a fare system like Translink in BC. You pay based on zones (distance traveled).

Cause that is "right wing thinking". I mean after all, isn't the right wing always espousing how you should pay your own way

Regardless, have no fear. Ford is a one term mayor. Olivia Chow is likely to run & she'll eat him alive. If she doesn't' someone else will

You see, the right wing a-la Conservatives in Ontario are pretty stupid. They can't seem to grasp that being a loud, bellicose asshole doesn't endear oneself to the average voter in Ontario. Rob Ford can't figure it out. And clearly the Ontario PC's and Hudak can't figure that out either. The Mike Harris experiment is over. It failed. If you want to push water uphill with a pencil, please, be my guest. But don't expect to win.

The "right" in Ontario needs to understand that Ontario IS FISCALLY Conservative. It is not socially conservative. It doesn't take kindly to angry, bitter little men hoping to be the next leader.

September 8, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

Cheryl

I'm the one defending Smitherman. He really is a nice guy. Problem is you don't know him. If he ever ran for Mayor again, I would vote for him aagain. Well, my trainer's team lost. No games for him tomorrow. Oh well.

September 8, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

dave

@ Argie...well said....

September 8, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

4x4 Time

This was forwarded to me by a friend in Calgary

ONTARIO

The Premier of Ontario is jogging with his dog along a nature trail.
A coyote jumps out and attacks the Premier’s dog, then bites the Premier.
The Premier starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie “Bambi” and then realizes he should stop because the coyote is only doing what is natural.
He calls animal control .. Animal Control captures the coyote and bills the Province $200 testing it for diseases and $500 for relocating it.
The Premier goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting his bite wound bandaged.
The running trail gets shut down for 6 months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is now free of dangerous animals.
The Premier spends $50,000 in Provincial funds implementing a “coyote awareness program” for residents of the area.
The Provincial Legislature spends $2 million to study how to better treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world.
The Premier’s security agent is fired for not stopping the attack.
The Province spends $150,000 to hire and train a new agent with additional special training re: the nature of coyotes.
PETA protests the coyote’s relocation and files a $5 million suit against the Province.

ALBERTA
Premier Alison Redford is jogging with her dog along a nature trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks the dog.
The Premier’s security agent shoots the coyote and keeps jogging. The Premier has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollow point cartridge.
The Crows eat the dead coyote.

And that, my friends, is why ONTARIO is broke and ALBERTA is not.

September 9, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Liz

Oh, where to start?

Smitherman? Yah, right. That's a good one.

The champagne socialists still have their organic asses in a pinch because the fat man won. Break out the pinot and commiserate in silence. It's getting old.

I won't even go near Cheryl and her myriad of fascinating topics.

@4X4 Time - that email from your friend in Calgary nails it but good. Hey, if Premier Dad bites Redford, there's another problem solved.

Saw a pretty telling editorial cartoon in yesterday's Globe. Entitled "First Week of School" - shows a little kid who asks, "What's a collective agreement?" All about the kids, right? Bullshit.

And finally, Rick C remains the most sensible contributor.

Mike, looking forward to the pictures from your trip!

Have a good week ahead, everyone!

September 9, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Corey

Oh great. Irvine returns with a vengeance. I guess it was too much to hope that his departure would be permanent. Can't believe you others actually waste time reading his self-important screeds. My eyes glazed over after the first paragraph.

September 9, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Irvine

@4x4 - Your story is good but I'd replace crow with magpie. A magpie is part of the crow family but more colourful (white, blue & black feathers). Noisy too.

@Liz: Ah, so when Ford loses and the next Toronto socialist wins, we won't hear a peep from you, right? #bahahahaha.

@Corey: Awww, muffin, did you miss me? I'm in Calgary this weekend doing something we Westerners call "work". Good thing is all went smoothly so I'mma get me free time. You're more than welcome to stop by later & have a drink with me. I'm paying too. I'll finish up at work, hit the Eau Claire Y & then actually go for a drink (I rarely drink FYI). I'm easy to find, I'm the big stocky dude with a tat of a Tec9 handgun on 1 shoulder & an Alberta flag on the other.

I'm here

Link

September 9, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Corey

Thanks for the offer, Irv. I'm gonna pass though. Unlike you, I have actual friends to spend time with. I can understand why you'd be lonely.

September 9, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Irvine

@Corey: Hey, I know, I know, Eau Claire is a bit too upscale for you man and it is short notice.

So how about that beer in Van in a place a little more suited to your style? We could meet at the Balmoral maybe? It's a legendary place in Vancouver & easily accessible on bus route 10. Not only that, but the rooms are cheap if you get too drunk & Insite is a few doors down. Always play safe when you shoot up the black tar heroin. AND..(the benefits keep coming), it'll be EASY to get you a GF. Shit dude, you're first date will probably cost you 2 greens at the most.

Then after a few drinks we can take your sanctimonious ass over to Oppenheimer Park. Once you're there you can gather a crowd & then tell them they should just get their shit together, stop using the trauma of their past as an excuse to smoke rock & get a fucking job. While you're gathering the crowd maybe play Pure - Anna is a Speed Freak (they are a Vancity band afterall

Here's the directions dude. Translink route 10.

Link

September 9, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

Cheryl

Well, I happen to really love George Smitherman. I think he would be a great mayor. I hope he will run again. you just never know though. He's a great Mayor, that's for sure. Anyway, I can post just like everyone else. I post about my own topics. Anyway, if you don't like it, don't read it.

September 9, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Why do people write "bahahaha" when laughing on the internet? Who actually laughs like that? When I see "bahahaha" I picture a goat.

September 9, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Corey

Irv - I just noticed the comment about your tats. LOL! Please tell me you're serious! The idea of you having a gun tattoo is perfect - obviously a phallic symbol. A subconscious attempt to compensate for one of your many short comings! Priceless.

September 9, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Irvine

@Corey

No I was lying. I inserted that because I knew you'd comment even though you said prior "your eyes glazed over after the first paragraph". Not only did you read my stuff, you went BACK to read it.

@Jason from Sudbury: When I see mention of a guy from Sudbury & a goat in the same sentence...it reminds me of some creepy love story on Beast Forum dot Com.

September 9, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Irvine

Oh, by the way, before I go back home.

Given this forum (and it's owners) fascination with dated 90's grunge clones, I recommend you listen to CFOX 99.3 out of Vancouver.

The station is goes pretty heavy on the 90's alternative stuff you heard on CFNY. As rock stations go (and that doesn't say much anymore) it's a might more interesting than the usual dribble from alternative rock radio.

Oh, and, tomorrow the Peak becomes Peak 102.7. Much more power so here's hoping much higher ratings.

September 9, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Blind Dave

@Irvine

So on a (hopefully) happier note, how is life in BC? Are you glad you made the move?

Regarding a comment you made above, though it wasn't directed at me, I have realized that, yes indeed, I have become my father. Angry, no. A bit disappointed and grumpy, yes. :)

September 9, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Sam in Pickering

Dorothy McGuire Williamson, who teamed with sisters Christine and Phyllis for a string of hits in the 50s and 60s as the popular McGuire Sisters singing group, has died. She was 84.

September 9, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Sam in Pickering

September 9, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Corey

Don't flatter yourself, Irv, old bean. Of course I'm going to read a post directed at me. But the rest of that crap you monopolized the board with? Haven't read it, won't read it, couldn't care less about your verbal diarrhea. So when you head back to BC does that mean we can look forward another extended absence? By the way, they do wonderful work with lasers to remove tattoos now.

September 9, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Mississauga Phil

Man that was a sweet irv-less month.....

September 9, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

Rosie

Last summer, I believed the mayor when he said he didn’t give the finger to a six-year-old and her mama who saw him talking on the phone while driving, because I didn’t want to believe the mayor of our city would do something so crackers. Rob Ford’s time in office has had much spectacle and his family does him no favours. The strangeness really started for me shortly after when Doug Ford declared he didn’t have a clue who Margaret Atwood was. I wonder if the irony of stating he has no idea who a national literary icon is occurred to him at a time when library closures were being proposed. Her books are in the LIBRARIES. And then spectacle, spectacle, more spectacle, and then Krista Ford sends it right into reality show territory (and I’m talking about the shows I’d rather put my fist through my TV than watch like ones about teenage mothers or toddler girls wearing bras and make-up, not lovely shows like Top Chef or SYTYCD) by tweeting to Toronto women “don’t dress like a whore” to avoid becoming victims of sexual assault.
Oh this made me so upset. No, Krista Ford is not a politician and did not ask for the level of scrutiny paid to her Twitter feed but she is the niece of the mayor and daughter of a city councillor. Like it or not, people pay attention to the things she says. It means when you tweet something controversial it’s going to be picked up by the media and become the subject of international discussion. Her words implied that women who are victims of sexual assault are responsible for it, that if they had worn a pair of non-whore-ish sweatpants instead of a tight dress or whatever is considered whore-wear that they probably would have escaped harm. She is as misguided as Todd Akin who thinks our bodies have magical powers to prevent conception by rape, although he is far more than misguided, he is flat-out crazy and scary. Women are as likely to be assaulted wearing clothes that conceal their bodies as they are revealing ones. Just ask the women in the west-end who were assaulted in their homes on Friday morning. I have no idea what they were wearing, but I’m guessing it wasn’t miniskirts and stilettos. They were probably wearing pajamas and they still became victims and it is not their fault. But the point is even if they were “dressed like whores” (ugh- who SAYS that) what they were wearing didn’t cause them to be assaulted. The criminal was responsible for the crime. This thinking does what has historically been done to victims of rape- puts the focus and the blame on the victim, not the criminal. When all the Todd Akin insanity was going down, I read an article on CNN.com about a lawyer, Shauna Prewitt, who became a mother after being raped. Her rapist was entitled to parental rights because in 31 states men who have fathered a child by raping a woman are able to fight for custody and visitation rights. She became a lawyer to try to make this illegal and wrote a book about her experience. In the article, she states a quote from a 17th-century jurist that one of her law professors read to her class: "In a rape case it is the victim, not the defendant, who is on trial.” It appears in this century victims of sexual assault continue to be the ones under scrutiny. Ugh. Where is the progress people?

On another topic, whether it is more subways or streetcars or spaceships, we need more transit and we need it friggin fast. Stinz’s plan blew up but at least it was a plan, and a big plan. The city needs big plans for transit because bigger and bigger numbers of people are going to be riding the TTC above and below ground as the GTA grows and what we have now is just not enough. We need more transit in the core of the city to support the expansion happening to the transit system outside the downtown core. This means more money. I don’t disagree with toll roads. I actually think they are inevitable. Something has to fund public transit and ease the insane congestion. Toronto has some of the highest commuting times in the world!

September 9, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Irvine

@Blind Dave: BC is great especially if you are an active outdoor person. I just LOVE going for a jog on Saturday morning around 7. I live on Bowen Island and it's incredibly serene to glide along empty roads through woods (and real oxygen). Island life is great but has issues. Miss the last ferry (with your car) and you pay to park it all night at Horseshoe Bay. You also need to plan for things because every serious trip requires a ferry ride. It's been an issue with late night work or being on call, but I'm thinking I'll park the car on the mainland & water taxi it home. It's also nice not to have incessant sun every day like Calgary. I've lived and worked all across Canada & I think that's a good thing. Living in Halifax is far different than living in, say, Edmonton. Folks in BC are really "green" and very active. Closing a road here to make a bike lane usually brings cheers NOT whining. Interestingly, there are almost no obese people here. And a run along the sea wall on a warm day is awesome. I have to head home soon, I drove. Nothing clears your mind dude like a Calgary to Vancouver drive. I'll stay in Revelstoke. Awesome town and stay at the Swiss Chalet Hotel for a good, cheap night. Revelstoke is one of Canada's hidden gems.

@Corey: I told you I don't have any tattoo's dude. I'm a health guy dude. Don't smoke, use drugs and I very rarely drink (like a beer a month at the most). Fuck, I get up at 6 30 on Saturday. I can't see me putting ink in my skin.

@Rosie

- Krista Ford is an idiot and her comments insult MALES too. What she's saying is that if I see a hot, scantily dressed female obviously I can't control myself. And she says all this after playing football in her underwear. What a bimbo.

- Transit: Toronto was warned 25 years ago that endless sprawl would be it's downfall. Well the cows came home, didn't they. When you build a city that stretches 90 kms, is it any surprise there is lots of traffic & transit is hell? The failure isn't in the TTC Rosie. The failure is in the development of the city where the focus was on sprawl. AND the failure is also on those who want a single family home on a large lot. Hey, if you want to live that way, that's YOUR choice. But don't expect the rest of us to have to extend a train or a bus line to your house & then run that bus with 3 people on it. Personally I'm not sure why anyone would want to live in the suburbs. What a vapid, dull, lifeless area. Endless cul de sac's complete with strip plaza's with such fine restaurants as "Kelseys". Your entire life is focused around driving a car to your next recreational shopping trip. People in the suburbs should just STFU and deal with their traffic. Because they ARE part of the problem.

Misssissauga Phil. Well I'm about to turn off this laptop and drive 11 hours. And unless I come back to act as a technical consultant to a server farm move, it's not likely you'll see me around here much.

BUT..you know, I got a call last week from a recruiter. He wanted to know if I was interested in a gig in Waterloo, Ontario. That's my "hometown" (I wasn't born there though). The salary was awesome & it would go a long way there. Maybe I'll fly in just to see. That would mean I'd be BACK. H20loo Mark. Then you'd be close enough you could come up to the Huether Hotel for some kick ass wings and a pint of delicious Waterloo Dark beer.

September 9, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Argie

Krista Ford was dead wrong - for apologizing.

Before everyone has a spastic fit and calls me a troll (again), lets look sat what she tweeted. She offered advice in a way a travel company or Foreign Affairs might when a person travels to a foreign country that's known for pick pockets and the like (i.e. keep your passport, wallet & valuables close to you and don't look like a tourist).
Hysterical people take Ford's tweet as a declaration that its the victims fault for being assaulted when all she did was offer sensible advice regardless of what she looks like or that she played lingerie football. The recent sexual assaults in Toronto have been on young women, on university campuses - not old age homes. Thus, anyone can conclude the way the victim looks is a almost always factor in the assault.

September 10, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - Yeah, but after simmialr coments made by a toronto police officer last year lead to the worldwide protest called the "slut walk" you would think Krista would choose her words better....

And again Argie, how a woman dresses should not impact her safety. I can appriciate a beautiful woman in a hot outfit without resorting to rape...if a man is that hard up for some loving, there's always the worlds oldes profession

September 10, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Irvine

If a women dressing like a "whore" is her asking to be raped, then clearly a loud, bigoted asshole is also asking to have their ass severely kicked.

September 10, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Irvine - a rare gem of truth

September 10, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

Argie

M-Phil wrote: "how a woman dresses should not impact her safety"

Obviously, I agree but the key words are "should not". Unfortunately, it does for some (not all) attackers.

Why dont people understand this?

As for Irv, you must be speaking form experience - being the loud, bigoted a-hole you are.

September 10, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Rosie

Argie. First of all, I'm not sure Foreign Affairs would use such denigrating language in an advisory. It goes much deeper than the sentiment she tweeted. She implied that should a woman dress provocatively and is assaulted, she is somehow responsible for that. The most alarming thing about the apology was that she seemed to genuinely not get that people would be insulted by this. Why don't people understand that WHAT YOU ARE WEARING OR YOUR AGE DOES NOT MATTER? Friday morning two women in Toronto were sexually assaulted, and they were 62-and 70-years-old. He also tried to attack a 49 year-old but she scared him off. I'm sure these women wouldn't appreciate their homes being called old-ages homes, but the point is, it simply does not matter what you are wearing or how old you are or where you are. Krista Ford should have thought before she tweeted- and although I find the whole thing repugnant, I don't care she played in the Lingerie Football league. It's her choice, and guess what, she doesn't deserve to be raped if she walked to her car after in her uniform.

September 10, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Corey

Rosie, with all due respect, I have side with Argie on one point - I don't believe that Krista Ford implied that a provocatively dressed woman is responsible if she gets assaulted, any more than she implied that if a woman doesn't take self-defense courses she is responsible if attacked. I believe most people who offer up this type of advice simply think they are offering tips to minimize risk, not point fingers at people. I do, of course, agree that in most situations, how a woman is dressed has no impact on whether she is a target for a rapist. A creep who is intent on raping a stranger is an opportunist - they aren't hiding in the dark, biding their time until the sexiest dressed woman comes by.

@Argie - you better watch yourself. Irvine is a real tough guy. His TEC-9 tat proves it!

September 10, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Argie

Rosie,

I have to ask, how do you know Ford's intent? Has she stated it? Did you speak with her?

Sure, she could have used better language but in some cases (not all) how a women dresses IS a factor. I know I'm repeating myself but some people obviously have to read it more than once for it to sink in.

It goes without saying, no one "deserves" to be raped".

September 10, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Rosie

Don't you see, it doesn't matter if that wasn't her intent. The language and the message is wrong and attention needs to be called to it. And someone who lives in the public eye, whether she likes it or not, has a responsibility to be more careful with both her language and her message. You continue to miss my point- what a woman is wearing is NOT the point. The point is the focus should not be on victim, and tweets purporting to help women be safe by advising them not to dress like whores does not put the focus on the crime.

September 10, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Arizona Cardinals won their first NFL game 20 to 16. that's a good thing. The hockey strike is going to start in a few days though. I'll miss my hockey, but at least I have football, basketball, and curling.

September 10, 2012 @ 5:52 PM