Déjà Vu with Apathy

SighEight years ago, I was already writing pleas to Bettman and Goodenow to get a deal done so I could enjoy NHL hockey again. I really, really cared, and my heart broke when the entire season was cancelled.

Eight years later, there's that same multi-billion dollar pie being fought over by multi-millionaires, and the big losers remain us suckers who tune in and support our favourite NHL teams. Since we lost the season in 2004/2005, I've watched my Leafs miss the playoffs each and every year. I can do that again. I'm actually getting pretty good at it.

It's déjà vu all over again, but this time with a steaming pile of apathy. This time, it's different.

Blind Dave

Oh, how I wish I could wave a magic wand and just make the crowds and tv audiences disappear. Make it for twice the length of the lockout, and then we'll come back, but only if prices are significantly reduced.

But I don't have that power...

September 26, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

elvis

There's a lockout?

September 26, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

Corey

Feel the same Mike. Apathy is a good term for it. Right now I just don't care - I'm not feeling like I miss it, or will miss it. I have a feeling that if this drags on for a long time, it's going to be very bad for the NHL - a "Thank You Fans" message painted on the ice ain't gonna cut it this time.

September 26, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Cheryl

Well, I am one to miss hockey, but there is curling now and I'm really getting into that. My personal trainer curls. I don't, but like to know how he's doing. Curling can take the place of hockey until the stupid lockout is over, and there's still basketball and my Phoenix Suns.

September 26, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

CQ

So long Stanley, welcome Gagarin?

September 26, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

andrew

NHL hockey season drafts, gambling on games & even the OLG will non esist on Pro Picks or whatever. It's a LOSS by all.

I love hockey but this mess is a "disruption" between multimillionaire owners & players. Get over it.

Bottom line is if fans don't attend games or buy their merchandise their revenues will suffer greatly as WE PAY THEIR WAY.

GOOD LUCK GREEDY BASTARDS - see you in 2 years.
Going to attend OHL & Marlie games as they are usually more entertaining anyway & much cheaper to attend.

My aunt's nephew plays for London Knights (2nd yr) & was drafted in June by Columbus BJ's in 4th round.

September 26, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Gary

They have really miscalculated this lockout. Nobody seems to care. I agree with you Mike.

What a bunch of idiots.

September 26, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Alan G

Just don't care any more. Like others have said, it's time for fans to boycott when they do come back. don't go to the games. don't buy any NHL sponsored products. Get 'em where it hurts. Cut off their revenue. Damn who am I kidding? Fans will flock back in droves and nothing will have changed.

September 27, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

519 Rob

Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure at this point I am going to miss it at all. I was angry after the first lock out, this time...well I am sort of a mix of pure rage, and total apathy. I know it seems like I am contradicting myself, but here's the thing. I can't believe that they are so stupid and arrogant to think that they (both owners and players) can pull this crap twice in 7/8 years. But I am so generally blah on hockey right now (I was, for the most part, disgusted by most of the shit that happened in last years playoffs) that I'm not sure I care if they even come back this year.
Thank god for the OHL.

September 27, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Rick2

I'm in the same boat - a lifelong fan that has had enough. When it comes back, I will probably come back. I would love to see a fan initiated complete boycott of the 1st home game of each team. An empty house at each arena. I would love it. It will never happen though.

September 27, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Doug

It's a shame that so many non-millionaires will be hurt by the lockout. I am going to the Oshawa Generals game on Friday...$15 per ticket!!

September 27, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Cheryl

Well, let's lock out baseball instead. Anyway, there is a curling spiel this weekend, starts tomorrow and ends on Friday. My trainer is in it. Hope he wins. I'll keep you posted.

September 27, 2012 @ 6:10 PM