What a Canadian Knows About Chick-fil-A

What a Canadian Knows About Chick-fil-AI've been reading a lot about Chick-fil-A this week. Chick-fil-A, for fellow Canadians who aren't familiar with the name, is an American fast food franchise specializing in chicken entrées. Chick-fil-A's president apparently came out against gay marriage and there's been a bit of a backlash, as you can imagine.

There are no Chick-fil-A restaurants in Canada. The way I learned about Chick-fil-A was from Ben Folds Five's Army, a song I dug back in '99.

Here's the second verse:

Grew a moustache and a mullet
Got a job at Chick-fil-A
Citing artistic differences
The band broke up in May
And in June reformed without me
And they'd got a different name
I nuked another grandma's apple pie
And hung my head in shame

Chick-fil-A? I'll stick with Los Pollos Hermanos.

Rob

Those against gay marriage are some of the dumbest and biggest hypocrites on the planet. My philosophy in life is if you're not harming anyone , I don't care what you do. Gay marriage has no impact on me and who am I to try and deny two people happiness? Bible thumpers get offended by gay marriage not because it is a "sin", but, because they're afraid if gay marriage becomes accepted worldwide their kids may CHOOSE to be gay, yet they do not realize that the vast majority of gays have felt that way before they even knew what gay meant. It is funny, if you comb through any regular church attendee I bet you could find 10 sins easy. I wonder if this restaurant chain denies people that are obese food? Isn't good ol gluttony a sin?....do they stop people from getting seconds if they are a little overweight? I went to a catholic school...the majority of girl had sex before marriage... If we all lived by the Bible or rather MANS interpretation of it...we will all be going to hell and God is one of cruelest assholes around. Kudos to anyone taking a stand against this restaurant chain.

July 25, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Becca

Such a ridiculous scene down there. I came across a great letter from the mayor of Boston today in response to their bigotry - http://i.imgur.com/VSW8L.png

July 25, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

NW

I'm told it is not a very interesing place to dine. I don't see myself making a special trip to Erie PA (the closest locaton) to try it. I might consider dining at a Chick-fil-A if they served nuggets with FRANCH dressing. But seriously, it sounds like an American chain we can do without.

July 25, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Hope this sound alike chain that just opened by me doesn't get any backlash, they call them selves Chick Felays

July 25, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

That's hilarious. Like McDowell's in Coming to America.

July 25, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Mississauga Phil

I heard about this on the Daily Show. Apparently the Mayor of Boston has come out and said that Chick-Fill-A is not welcome in Boston until they make a public apology for these statements.

...as Jon Stewart said "How big of a douche do you have to be that even Boston doesn't want you?"

Seriously...hats off to the Mayor of Boston for taking a stand.

July 26, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

Douglas

If you have not been to a Chick-Fil-A, you have not missed anything worthwhile. They're only open six days a week. Even if it is conveniently located along your travel route in the U.S., don't bother. The food there isn't worth the trip or the time spent, eating it...or later.

July 26, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

elvis

People camp out at those joints to be the first in through the doors for the grand opening. They give away chicken for life or something like that. Huge cult following apparently. Strange cult of chicken-loving gay-haters.

July 26, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Argie

Good for them. Why are liberals so intolerant of an opinion that differs from them? Such sad, hateful people.

July 26, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - you're an idiot.

July 27, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Dave Williams

I find it odd that for anyone to publically express their beliefs seem to be instantly discriminated against by a certain percentage of our society who see themselves as ethically superior to people whose opinions they disagree with.
If anything, the big issue with Chick-fil-a should be its contribution to the obesity epidemic.
I do suppose that if the crowd that concerns itself with certain people beliefs, but quote Jon Stewart as a source in any sense, really are limited in their realm of original thought.

July 27, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - I'll take Jon Stewart over any of the "real news" people on MSNBC or Fox News. And you can have all the opinion you want, but when that opinion starts trampling on peoples rights, then the rest of us are going to call you on it.

You clearly just want everyone to agree with you and your beliefs....well guess what my friend you have been in the minority on every argument you've gotten into on this blog....maybe it's time to take a look in the mirror and re-evaluate how you look at the world.

July 27, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

Argie

Miss Phil,

Great, incisive and thoughtful comment. Thanks for proving my point.

As for Stewart - not his real name, he is a clueless, unfunny icon for those Gen Xers who haven't have the motivation to move out of their parents' basement.

July 27, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - the comment was intened to be at the level of the post that inspired it.

And yes, well aware that his name is Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz....uh oh Argie...the Jews and gays are controlling everything, better go hide out at Rush Limbaughs house...

July 27, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

Argie

Phil,

I disagree, I don't think those two groups control everything - if they did, you would actually be someone important.

July 27, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

@ Argie - Ouch!! Burn!!

I am neither Jewish, nor Gay. I'm just a simple 30 year old guy who loves his family and wishes people like you would just let folks live their life in peace.

In the words of the great Ben Harper

My choice is what I choose to do
And if I'm causing no harm it shouldn't bother you
Your choice is who you choose to be
And if you're causing no harm then you're alright with me

It's a simple, yet beautiful sentiment that more peole should take to heart. And I am someone important to the people who matter to me...you just aren't one of them.

...I stand by my idiot comment...you sir are an idiot.

July 27, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Argie

Well I was right about the GenXer part. You're so clueless you probably don't know what I'm referring to. That's OK, when you finally get that real job and start paying taxes, you might then acquire some common sense.

July 27, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Mississauga Phil

Buddy...I work a full-time and part-time job to support my wife and our son while my wife finshes college. I've been consistantly employed since my first part-time job at age 14.

I have a University Degree, a car, and a house. So I've now debunked your assinine comment above...try again, you'll find an insult that actually holds ground sooner or later. Even a blind squirrl finds a nut ocasionally.

July 27, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Mississauga Phil

Oh, and by the way, being born in 1981, I'm commonly considered pary of Gen Y not Gen X (the common cutoff year for GenX is '79-'80)

Seriously...you can't even insult someone properly....

July 27, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Argie

Wow, I had you pegged all wrong. I'm only going by lame, unoriginal insults (i.e. "argie, you're an idiot").

But seriously Phil, my point is that same sex "marriage" is not a valid union. Yes, its legal in some countries but slavery used to be legal in most countries.

Another point to recognize is that only tiny percentage of gay people actually want to be legally married. Why this big push by the LBGT lobby groups and libs like Jon Stewart and the rest of Hollywood to accommodate a handful of people?

I'm hoping you can respond with a semi-intelligent, non insulting response.....

July 27, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Mississauga Phil

I can do non-insulting when an intellegint question is asked.

My only question to you would be - How do 2 men or 2 women who are in love and want to be married affect you at all?

If a religious institution wants to deny them marriage, that's the choice of that institutions leaders, and people can leave the church. But a legal union, and the rights that go with it (taxes, health benifits, etc.) should be available to all consenting adults. I am good friends with a guy who wants to adopt a kid with his partner..personally i think they'd make better parents than half the "straight" couples out there. Love is love man, jsut let it be.

my question above stands...how does it affect your day to day life?

July 27, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Argie

'How do 2 men or 2 women who are in love and want to be married affect you at all? "

Technically it doesn't but there are many things don't effect me personally, that I believe are wrong (i.e. abortion, slavery, capital punishment, hunting for sport, to name a few)

I'm all for same sex civil unions. I know some on the anti ss marriage side are against that too but to deny anyone their civil and legal rights is wrong.

What I do objet to is calling it a "marriage". Marriage, like it or not, is a religious sacrament and the fear many anti ss marriage people have is that one day churches, synagogues, etc will be forced to perform these types of marriages. Also, one has to ask themselves, if a person is not religious, why would they go through the whole ceremonial stuff of marriage in a church in the first place? To me it seems this is a non-issue to people that it might effect and a really big issue for others it never will.

July 27, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - you and I agree then. Religions are welcome to set their own standars for whom they want to perform ceremonies for. I am of the opinon that they are worng to deny same sex marriages, but that is just my opinion.

However if 2 people of the same sex want to be married by a judge, military officer, or anyone who is permitted to oversee a secular union, they have the right to do so.

That being said, the reason why your opposition to said unions is different than your oposition to, slavery for an example, is that it that slavery hurts SOMEONE, maybe not you, but someone. 2 men or 2 women joining in union doesn't hurt anyone, in fact this world could do with a bit more love.

July 27, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Argie

Phil,

Regarding your last paragraph, the hurt could be that religious institutions could (one day) be forced to perform these marriages. While there is no physical harm involved, what each church/religion defines as a "marriage" would change.

Even today, two people of the opposite sex cannot march in a church and demand to be married. They have to meet the requirements of that religion.

Also, this will bring out the polygamists who will claim if s-s marriages can take place, why can't we marry multiple partners. Theer have already been a few legal cases in BC and/or Alberta.

July 27, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - that's why we have laws to seperate Church from state. The gov't of Canada can not tell, the catholic church for example, that the HAVE to perfom cerimonies for people....I am all for religous groups setting their own standards. As catholics, my wife and I could not get an Imam to marry us, I get that.

I'm talking about secular, legal unions that would allow a gay man to have his spouse included on his benifits from his employer, or that if they pass all screening tests that a hetrosexual couple would have to go thorugh, could adopt and raise a child.

As far as your poligamist argument...again to each their own, if all parties involved are of age o consent, and due consent, then it's none of my business. I for one do not agree with poligamy, but who am I to tell someone else how to live their life, so long as they are not hurting anyone.

This all comes back to you trying to tell someone else how they should live their life, how is that your place to do?

July 27, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Dave Williams

@Phil, I have yet to argue with anyone on this blog, the only dispute I have had was with you on the marijuana issue. I believe you stated "that you could not wait until the day that you and your son could sit around a fire and have a joint together", my rebuttal to that was something to the effect of regardless of age I think that most parents would not want their children using drugs of any kind, let alone share drugs with them.
If I am in the minority on feeling that parents and children should never share drugs, then maybe society should re-evaluate its morals.

July 28, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

Tom

@Dave

Most of Canadian feel marijuana should be legalized. I think to evaluate your morals.

If we start addressing the morals of marijuana (which I can present to you hundreds of peer reviewed studies) a "drug" that helps thousands of people and has no harms other than if you smoke it, which would be the same harms if you smoked an apple.
I don'ttake marijuana. But anyone with half brain can do twenty minutes of research and find real science behind the benefits of marijuana and maybe handful of studies against it...which for the most part have been disproven.
Heck there was a study funded and posted on CTV recently. They were looking for NEGATIVE effects of marijuana and found after 20 years, people that smoke one joint a week had stronger lungs with no sign of disease.
I spent most of my life pushing away from friends that smoke marijuana and really just repeated the nonsense of uneducated people. I then got called out on it...trying to prove to people marijuana was bad I started to do research... turns out there is no evidence that marijuana is bad for you. In fact, maybe we should jail parents who take their kids to McDonald's, share a beer with them or pump them with corn syrup/sugar/white bread.

We need to have an open mind about everything. I read your last debate all you could come up with was that you can get cancer from smoking it. Which by the way has only been suggested and never proven. Nonetheless, marijuana cigarettes don't contain nearly the amount chemicals in tobacco cigarettes...making them less cancerous than a current legal "drug". At the same time, those chemicals that cause cancer in the smoke in marijuana would be present if you smoked a vegetable. It was a terrible defense and one you ripped of word for word on a website.

I open to the possibility that research can turn my opinion around on anything. Maybe the 10 books I read on the subject, dozens of peer reviewed journals and never hearing one person die from marijuana are all wrong...but for something considered in the same league as heroin...you'd think there would be a bible of evidence showing how bad it is. Yet the only studies we have were when they suffocated monkeys
I am tired of people that hold on too opinion with no evidence and just based on negative preconceived notions. When I see people with MS/Cancer in pain and then smoking a marijuana and feeling normal again, it makes me scratch my head to why people are so obnoxious about even visiting the topic.

July 28, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Stryker

Wow, Whole lot of ignorance going on about the situation down here.

A couple points.

1. The US values (or used to) freedom of speech and ideas.Even unpopular speech and ideas. Its a sad day when totalitarian attitudes against freedom of speech and religion are carrying the day in what used to be a free land.

2. The owner of CFA said nothing other than he supported traditional marriage. Only in an Orwellian nightmare can that be construed as 'hatred.' So the products of our educational system latch on to the 'profound truth' that those who hold to the values that have always been espoused in our society practice 'hatespeech' and are hatemongers and bigots. Brilliant.

This won't end well...

July 28, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

DUmn Dumb

@Stryker

Did anyone say he couldn't speak his mind? People are just choosing to not support a franchise that doesn't support gay marriage.

Freedom of speech at its finest.

July 28, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Dave Williams

@Tom, Are you serious , it takes years to research accurately, and recent studies have proved that mj, actually aggrevates and accelerates some of the medical issues that mj was perscribed to treat. Long Term use of marijuana actually weakens the immunse system. Marijuana use also has been documented to trigger attacks of mental illness such as Bi-Polar disorder. It actually makes one wonder if todays epidemic of mental illness is not directly linked to the increase social use of marijuana.
Read the Chris Herron biography or even a recent interview by Glen Kulka. Then reseach federal penitentary jail sentences in Canada. You will find a common denominator that marijuana use as a teen kicked off these negative paths.
It saddens me that people actually fall for idea that smoking a plant cannot be bad theory. Remember opium is also a plant and was smoked as well.

The point again with Mississauga Phil is that he once stated that he cannot wait until the day he can sit around a fire and light a joint with his son. Regardless of anyones personal opinion on the drug, that is one sad statement for any parent.

July 29, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

McNulty

@ Dave

I fundamentally agree with you about marijuana but you're relentless attack on Phil about it is creepy. You both disagree with one another. Let it go.

The conversation was about gay marriages and the right to free speech.

July 29, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Tom

Nice response a bit better than your usual efforts.

Actually those studies that with marijuana trigger attacks on mental disorders, it revealed that these disorders already existed. Meaning like prescription drugs and alcohol people need to set limits on marijuana. Also, those studies indicated with excessive marijuana use it those mental orders get worse.

So what have we learned? Maybe set laws that people can't legally purchase marijuana until 18. If it is prescribed by a doctor (like in California) not to recommend it with certain medical conditions.

As for teens going down the wrong path with marijuana. Any substance can be used negatively. As criminology major, almost all research suggest most kids get into crimes/extreme drug use because of horrible upbringings not because of marijuana.

In fact the whole marijuana is a gateway drug is a myth. The only gateway it provides is because it is illegal. Most kids only want marijuana and have to go with dealer to get it. Those dealers also sell the harder stuff and push it on the kids. The only people I'd ever seen try cocaine were the ones it was pushed on by dealers. And still out of a group of 20 guys I saw one try it when pressured (he doesn't any more).

If it were legal and government regulated its distribution, this wouldn't occur or it would occur extremely infrequently.

I am sure with anything in life if you conduct enough studies you will find some negative effects. That is why when something is consumed by a large percentage of society and has PROVEN benefits it should be legally regulated so that any negative effects can be avoided. Why do we not allow the youth to drink? Because they're not mentally responsible enough. Same should go with marijuana.

Here a few studies of the benefits of the plant. When something has this much positive effect on people...it should be legal. When the majority of the population wants it legal, the government should stop locking up people for smoking it. You should put your efforts into food regulation because places like McDonald's are killing/harming more people than marijuana.

Also, Phil want to smoke a joint with his child is not sad at all. Every teenager now plays violent video games, smokes marijuana and shown through the media that material possession makes you happy. It is up to parents to put the world in context. I am sure with you children Dave you teach them McDonald is a sometimes food and video games/tv are fine but not in excess. Bad parents let their kids stuff their face and play video games ignoring their responsibility.

In fact I'd say it is worse for a parent to brainwash their children into religion at a young age.

As for the immune system, that is in relation to excessive smoking which where you can insert any vegetable and have the same result. Again, anything in excess can have negative effects from watching television to eating skittles. Even jogging too much can destroy your knees ;). The important thing to remember all studies that were conducted with "moderate users" showed strengthened lungs after 20 years of use.

In fact, there have been dozens of studies with marijuana and AIDS/HIV patients where marijuana has shown to strengthen their immune systems.

July 29, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Tom

Nice response a bit better than your usual efforts.

July 29, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Mississauga Phil

I appreciate the support guys...I've given up on trying to reason with Dave, it's just not going to happen....every post turns into a debate on this and I'm just sick of it.

July 30, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Mississauga Phil

ANd my son is 5, it's not like I'm talking about hotboxing his fort in the back yard. I simply said that, one day, when he is an adult, I am hopefull that we are close enough to shae a beer and a joint around a campfire (considering this is at least 14-15 years off, I'm going to assume the trend will continue and pot will be legal by then)

July 30, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

Tony

Mississauga Phil is one of the cuckiest cucks I ever read.

Once upon a time, we had religious zealots telling us not just what to think, how to eat and how to live. Now all of that has been replaced by the virtue signalling of the useful idiots on the left.

Little cucks like Miss Phil will conventiantly trash businesses like Chick Fil A for some bonus easy effort virtue signal points. But will continue filling his gas tank with Saudi Oil where gays are not treated so well. The "watermelons" will also protest their environmental nonsense against Canada being self sufficient on oil and keep us depending on Saudi "don't give a hoot about the environment and gays" oil. Still they feel the need to shove their sanctimonious bullshit on everyone else.

These are the same idiots who protest Trump when he visits. But not a peep when the likes of Erdogan, or leaders of ME countries where women are treated like crap, or when "I want to be dictator for life" current Chinese leader comes to visit.

As per gay parents making better ones then straight ones. Yes, Canada was built up in just a century because it was all 100% gay parents. Yes that was sarcasm.
Marriage is a RELIGIOUS institute. The west is the west because of Christianity and its ideals engraved in our very laws. Societies that were militant atheist as. Result of communism killed more in their brief time periods then all wars fought for religion combined.

The LGBTQ etc group forget their place in society. They are a minority, they will always be a minority and ones that, unlike many other nations on earth, are a tolerated one. They are not self sufficient just on the means of reproduction alone. A group that wishes to keep the government out of their bedroom now uses the government as a weapon against those who disagree with them on any an all levels.

July 27, 2018 @ 9:25 PM