My Visit to Humble and Fred Radio

My Visit to Humble and Fred RadioI was at the first Humble and Fred podcast back in 2006. I was also there in October when they started their daily podcast, and I sat in for the first two weeks of shows. But I haven't been there much lately, in fact, it's been months since I attended a recording. But today I biked over to the studio to visit the guys.

You can hear my appearance here. I followed David Wilcox and come in at 51:47.

As you'll hear, the guys were taken aback by my appearance. There's 40lbs less of me, and at first they assumed I was dying. Well, we're all dying, but I'm hoping I have another 50 years in me. I've never felt better.

Here's what I've done that caught the guys by surprise.

2012-07-19 09.26.06.jpg

I explain everything, starting at 51:47.

CQ

Cut the Waist.

July 26, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

McNulty

I can't get to the damn Google+ (buys my work blocks it so I need to try from home) but way to go on your weight loss.

I think we need to compare "you're too skinny" stories because I get the same crap from people too. It feels insulting. I am 185 and 6"2'. I just don't get it. But you're pretty aware of my struggles with this.

I applaud you're efforts. I like the biking idea. I don't own a good bike but perhaps it would be another good way to exercise and work different muscles. Spin class may not be enough (as in biking). Too bad you can't run anymore.

July 26, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

@McNulty

The "you're too skinny" line, when you're actually not too skinny but at an ideal BMI for your height and gender and actually looking pretty damn good, is a put-down designed to make the objector feel better about his / her weight.

I personally hate it. I'm not anorexic, or bulimic, or suffering from any disorders. I'm just exercising and eating better and less calories than I used to. Tonight I'm eating a big bowl of spaghetti. At my daughter's birthday party this weekend, you can bet I'll be eating pizza and cake.

My 40lb loss over six months was intentional and safe. No weight loss supplements, no pills, no starvation, no cleanse, just reduced caloric intake and increased exercise. It was surprising to me how quickly the weight came off by just doing those two things. Discipline was all it took.

Biking is amazing fun. I love it. I plan to bike until it gets too cold to enjoy, then go heavier on the swimming.

July 26, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Nikki

If this is you today, I think you look great!

July 26, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

McNulty

Nice video and yeah, you're not skinny. You're healthy and sometimes people don't get it.

I've been told the following:
You're wasting away.
You're too skinny.
Do you eat?
Losing that much weight isn't healthy.
You don't eat anything fun. Why would you do that?

It's stuff like that. It makes me pretty angry.

I have debated writing about how it is horrible to tell someone they are fat but it seems okay to berate someone for being healthy.

July 26, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

@Nikki

That's me! :)

I think what works against me is that none of my clothes fit properly any more. In that video, I'm wearing my beloved What Would Wendel Do tee shirt that used to fit me perfectly. It's a large, and now swims on me. Same with the shorts I bike in.

I need a new medium wardrobe.

July 26, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Oscar

Mike, How tall are you? 145lbs seems on the verge of being waifish...

July 27, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

@Oscar

I'm 5 foot 9 inches (175 cm).

I currently weight is 67kg (147.71 lbs).

My current BMI is 21.7 kg/m2. The ideal is 19-25.

I'm not under weight.

July 27, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Freddie P.

Holy fuck, relax fellas... when I lost 30 pounds ten years ago I loved it when people told me I was too skinny.
I have since gained most of the weight back, but plan to take control this fall, and hopefully have people tell me I'm too skinny again. Wow.

August 1, 2012 @ 8:09 PM