My Favourite Apps Installed on My Android Phone

androidYesterday, I wrote about MapMyRide, an app I've been using for tracking my bike rides. While recently troubleshooting an issue I was having with Kies, I returned my phone to its factory default settings. That gave me a clean slate when it came to installed apps, and three weeks later, these are the ones I missed enough to re-install.

• CBC News - I love CBC News, and not just for reading, but for playing on-demand the most recent newscasts
  • Shazam - This one comes in handy all the time. If you hear a song and you want to know what you're listening to, Shazam always knows.
  • TuneIn Radio - I absolutely love this app that lets me listen to radio stations from around the world. Humble and Fred's podcast is there, too.
  • Do it (Tomorrow) - I've tried a few, and this is my "to do list" app of choice. If I need to do something, I add it here.
  • Facebook for Android - I'm not a big Facebook guy, but it has its benefits...
  • Gmail - Essential.
  • Google+ - I suspect I'm one of the few who still checks his Google + stream.
  • Google Chrome to Phone - A commenter recently turned me on to this app that sends a link from my computer to phone instantly.
  • MapMyRIDE - I explained this one yesterday. I use it for tracking my rides.
  • Twitter - I'm still digging Twitter.
  • Skype - This one is amazing. Here's something I recently wrote about Skype.
  • ScoreMobile - You need a good app for sports scores, news and stats, and I've tried a bunch. This is my favourite.
  • Zedge - This is a fun little app for ringtones and notification sounds.
  • reddit is fun - If you enjoy Reddit, this is the best Android app I could find.

Google Play keeps a record of every app I've installed, so I can accurately tell you I only reinstalled about 25%. The others either weren't that good or weren't used enough. Sorry, The Weather Network and Fruit Ninja.

Tell me about your favourite apps (for Android, iPhone or Blackberry) in the comments.

Cbab

"I'm a commenter!"

July 24, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

Cbab

That was totally meant to come through with *Ralph* html tags. Hah.

July 24, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

PK

Does "Do It Tomorrow" remind you of your items?

July 24, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

@PK

It's super simple. Every item is either to be done today, or tomorrow. When you don't do it today, it's bumped to tomorrow.

No reminder - you just open the app and see what you need to do today, and when you do it, you cross it out.

July 24, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Anon&on

Bloom (Brian Eno's generative music app). - would be worth getting an iPod Touch just for this app.

TO Parking.

LCBO On the GO. (although, the LCBO inventory system is terrible, both in store and in the app)

Zen Brush
TuneIn Radio
Songkick

I don't know why The Beer Store doesn't have an app. I would pay for the app.

July 24, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Blind Dave

@Toronto Mike

Zedge is cool, and I will try Reddit Is Fun, so thanks for the tip. I am a huge reddit and Today I Learned fan. I tolerate the Weather Nutwork, but it's about as accurate as the one on TV, and that's not saying much. And I also don't live in Southern Ontario, and am quite surprised when they actually figure out the rest of Canada has weather.

Some of my other apps: app backup & restore, barcode scanner (great for those funky android barcodes), battery solo (digital battery widgit), big button keyboard (a blessing, and worth the couple of bucks), camera 360 (kicks the stock camera), cool reader (great ebook reader), dolphin browser (zooms the page without needing to scroll left and right), GMail (of course), handcent sms, sms backup (to gmail), Vlingo (voice control).

July 24, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Ryan

For BlackBerry...my top 10 is

Weathereye - Weather Network app
Wordpress
TD Mobile Banking
BlackBerry Traffic
Memegasm(makes awesome Memes)
CBC News
Lensboost(its like Instagram)
Poynt
ScoreMobile
and of course - BBM

There are apps on BlackBerry - just gotta find them!

July 25, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

@Ryan

Yes, the TD Mobile Banking app is very good. I used to use it, but decided I could do all my banking on my desktop.

July 25, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Jasmine

What about Find My iPhone. It's an awaesome app to use on an iPhone!

July 26, 2012 @ 4:51 AM