I Believe: The CTV Olympics Song Runs Its Course

I Believe: The CTV Olympics Song Runs Its CourseMost Canadians loved the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. We hosted, we owned the podium and we won the most desired of golds with an OT goal by Sidney Crosby. It was friggin' magic.

I've been watching the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London, and it's once again being telecast here by CTV. That means we're hearing "I Believe" again, the Stephan Moccio and Alan Frew penned song that was played ad nauseam in Vancouver. Here's the Nikki Yanofsky version, as if you needed a reminder.

This time, in addition to the Yanofsky version, we're getting a version by The Tenors. I can't imagine either version is making Canadians feel particularly good at this point. If you weren't completely sick of this song after the winter Olympics, you must be sick of it by now.

Please CTV, ease up on the I Believe. It had run its course well before Crosby's golden goal.

Does anyone out there still enjoy this song?

519 Rob

Didn't like it then.
Still don't like it now.
Can't see myself ever liking it.

July 30, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Marc from Twitter

I believe, alright. I believe that CTV's Olympics coverage is nothing short of unbearable.

July 30, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Monica

I may be the odd person who still really likes this song.

@Marc from Twitter, you know what's unbearable? The CTV Olympics app!

July 30, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

CQ

I like it. NBC has its Olympics song. All the Pro Sports and Networks have a song.
The Yanofsky version was over the top, but only as it was re-enforcing an overall anti-male bias from across all current North American television programming.
CTV offers enough real garbage to complain about; the song isn't that bad.

July 30, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

MrFascination

THING IS WORSE THAN
"Waiving Flag" by K'naan...
Poorly written song - Using for
1- Haiti Disaster
2- 2010 World Cup In Africa
3- Vancouver 2010

K'naan some how manages to be a citizen of all those countries thus they call them "their own".

July 30, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Never liked "I Believe or "Waving Flag"

July 30, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

NW

Every time I see Brian Williams I get confused. I still think he's with the CBC.

I'm relieved that co-owned CP24 hasn't sent anybody to London and doesn't have any actual coverage. I seem to recall that they had people in Vancouver. And I'd hate to watch North Korea win the women's gold in judo while being bombarded with commercials for Harold The Jewellery Buyer... or have Steve Anthony call a basketball game.

July 30, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Lorne

I miss the old Olympic anthem. But this is what happens when you get theme songs written by a committee.

That being said, I'm surprised how many subversive songs Danny Boyle managed to slip into his opening montage movie.

Me: "Do you think they'll play God Save the Queen?"
Wife: "Of course. It's London. The Queen's there. They love to play it for her."
Me: "No no no... not that version. I meant the sarcastic, punk version."
TV: {zoom in} {very brief snippet of "Gahd save th' qeuaheeeen...."}
Me: Bravo.

July 31, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

Russell

You know what's run its course? The pathetic rants from a few marginal bloggers like yourself complaining about this I Believe song. You don't like?...we get it...but you need to share and make sure people know just how you feel? Better now? Do need to join a support group? Pathetic. PLEASE GIVE IT A REST, turn on mute then and enjoy the Games. I suggest strongly that the majority of Canadians have no problem.

July 31, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

@Russell

I state my honest opinion in the hopes it inspires an interesting discussion. Thank you for participating.

July 31, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Kole

This song is certainly starting to show it's age. Was beautiful at first, but so was that titanic song... once it gets overplayed it gets boring.

July 31, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Argie

The song is lame as Russell's defense of it.

July 31, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Rosie

I love it! Reminds me of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, and going into labour right when Alexandre Bilodeau won gold!

July 31, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

Paul

It's not a bad song, but like a lot of hits it gets played to death until everyone is sick of it. I'm actually more annoyed by the fanfare version than the actual song. They should have had two individual songs....one for a broadcast fanfare theme, and another for medals and such. So yeah sick of it....at least we won't have to hear it in Sochi, CBC has the rights.

August 2, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

DO DO DO do do do do dododo DO DO DO do do do DO DO DO do do do do dodododododododododododododo

ANNOYING SONG

August 4, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

Ned

The "I Believe" song is annoying and I want to crack an olympic medal across the singer's teeth everytime I hear it. What exactly are we believing in? 27th place behind Ethiopia in medal standing?

August 6, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

cjohnston

I can't believe how poor the ctv coverage of the Olympics is.what happened to weightlifting archery shooting pole vault long jump steeplechase. I for one am sick of swimming and diving, are they the only two events,not to mention bike riding.

August 6, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

JS

Disagree. I love the song -- and it is definitely not my usual style of music (heavy rock / metal). I still get chills when I hear it. Just my two cents.

August 6, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

DBC

I think the song is inspirational and certainly has lots of life left in it. It would be different if we heard it non-stop for the years in between Olympics, but we don't.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion though. I guess you hated the old CBC Hockey Night in Canada theme also? After it played every week for decades and still has life on TSN.
As for those that are unhappy with the CTV coverage, its been great. Try watching the Olympics on NBC, a day late and a dollar short. Canadian coverage is always fantastic. I specnt the first half of the Olympics in Europe adn our caverage is far superior.
Stop complaining about the little things folks, if you don't like what you see move to another channel, use the internet, or get out there and start training so you can be there as an athlete!

August 12, 2012 @ 7:23 PM