Have You Been to Amsterdam?

Have You Been to Amsterdam?I have a question for the hivemind.

Have you ever been to Amsterdam?

amsterdam

I'm looking to visit this summer and I'm curious as to what you'd recommend I do when I'm there. What do I have to see and do in Amsterdam?

Vince

Smoke pot.

July 19, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Declan

Aye, the most interesting city in the world.

Beautiful canals, the Red Light District, beautiful art, you will have a wonderful time.

I must warn you regarding the weed in Amsterdam. The hash and marijuana you'll buy in the coffeeshops is much stronger than you're used to. Go slow and stay safe.

July 19, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

brad

i wanna go to amsterdam

July 19, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

Ryan G

Outstanding beauty, a vibrant culture and picturesque canals.

I saw none of those things when I was there.

But I did pay fifty bucks to see a live sex show, which included a disappearing act involving my glasses.

July 19, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Rosie

@Ryan G you made me laugh out loud.
@TO Mike I have never been but have always wanted to go, will share my Amsterdam travel bucket list:
-eat stroopwafel from Lanskroon http://www.lanskroon.nl/ (on Singel canal around the corner from Spui Square)
-go to the weekly Friday book market in Spui Square (book-lover paradise in city-centre with lots of book stores also there are art shows)
-I LOVE LICORICE and have always wanted to try real Dutch double salt licorice. Apparently you haven't really had salty licorice until you have had "dubbel zout"
-see the art at Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum (this is where Rembrandt's masterpiece The Night Watch lives!)
Walk around the De Wallen (red light district) rent a bike, shop at the Albert Cuyp street market.
Hmm Frommers seems to have left out seeing a live sex show in their compilation of favourite experiences, surely some sort of editing mistake.

July 19, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

@Ryan G

Now we're talking!

July 19, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Matman

Definitely take a boat tour around the canals, alot of them offer as much as you can drink Heineken on board. The Anne Frank Museum is very moving and a must see.

July 19, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Brad

Lots of history there, the red light district is fun to see.

July 19, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

MrFascination

Food Is Terrible!

July 19, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

canucklass

If you go to the back of the main train station, you will find ferries going to different residential parts of the city that you would never see otherwise. Just hop on one (they are free) and see a part of Amsterdam 95% of the tourists don't!
....and the coffeshops are great! ;-)

July 19, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Vincent

Breaks down like this, okay: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's illegal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause, get a load of this, all right; if you get stopped by the cops in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have.

July 19, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Roshan

Never been but if I can ever afford to visit Europe, this city is in the top 5 that I'd want to visit.

July 19, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Mike from Lowville

I had a chance to go to the Cannabis Cup a few years ago and passed. It's on my bucket list when I retire in 4 years.

July 19, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Cheryl

I've never been, but my personal trainer has. If you like, email me and I'll give you his email address.

July 19, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

dale

Sounds like SEX, DRUGS & ROCK & ROLL.

You will come home a changed person.

Have Fun

July 19, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

J9

I was there for work a few years ago in December, very briefly. The people are wonderful and many of them are trilingual or better. The canal cruise is awesome, and I was very impressed with the Rjksmuseum.

July 19, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

Gump

I would highly recommend in the following order:
1. Rijksmuseum - magnificent cultural experience
2. Heineken 'museum' - by the end you'll be wasted with all the under-age American college kids
3. By all means, do the pot, if that is your thing. Personal preference for me though were the mushrooms. Nice friendly guides to tell you want to expect and the severity of the 'experience'
4. If you absolutely have to go, lightly sample the Red Light District. A sad, pathetic (and misogynistic) embodiment of horrible exploitation. Don't be a cliche and gawk like a tourist. You'll need a shower afterwards but you're never get the ugly images erased from your mind.

July 19, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Gump

Oh my god, I can't believe I forgot about the cheese!
Cheese, glorious cheese everywhere! Instead of the Red Light District, sample the oldest, saltiest Dutch cheese you can find. You'll be back up to 190 lb in no time at all!

July 19, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - I guess the question is.....is Mrs. Boon comming with you?? If so, maybe take the boat tour and skip the red light....

But try the pot...you need to try the pot

July 20, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

MrFascination

@Gump - The Cheese Tastes Like Toe-Cheese..

@Rosie - The only way to eat those "dubbel zout" forget you have taste buds! They're nasty to say the least!... Salty black licorice isn't exactly a nice combination.

-- Chef Mike Smith has a show where he travels different cities of the world and tries their local foods.... He spent the whole show trying to find something and came to the conclusion Amsterdam has very little or no local cuisine.

July 20, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

@MrFascination

I understand they've inherited Indonesian food as their local cuisine.

July 20, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Jacob

I've been there about 4 times, but I was being dragged around with family each time, and haven't been for 15 years... so I'm not of much help.

But it's a nice city. I'd love to go back. Also, don't bother with the clich├ęs. It's a wonderful city on its own.

July 20, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Jacob

Indonesian food is right. My family's "dish" is Nasi Goreng.

July 20, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

MrFascination

@ Mike - What They Don't Take From One They Take From Another... Indonesian, Heavy On The German Stuff Too... All Nasty.

July 20, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

mrmojorisinca

Coffe Shops are cool to check out..
Ann Franks house..
I'd take up canucklass idea as well, very cool to see non tourist areas.
Heineken Museum
Canal boat trip too.

July 20, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

Rosie

@MrFascination but I'm so CURIOUS! maybe they are delicious in the way Marmite is delicious, you know, salty and kind of weird? they do look crazy on this website but I still want to try them :)
Amsterdam sounds like Toronto in terms of dining, greatly influenced by multiculturalism. We don't really have a local cuisine specific to Toronto do we?

July 20, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

LEW

Pickled Herring off a street cart - you must hang it by it's tail and lift it over your head and then dip it into your mouth.
The croquettes/Frikandellen after a couple of beers is addictive.
Enjoy!

July 22, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

@LEW

Great suggestions... Keep them coming, everybody. I'll be flying over in a few weeks.

July 22, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Anonymous

Of course I can recommend a coffee shop in Amsterdam, it's my pleasure. My favourite is Hunter's, which is in the red light district. There's also the Grasshopper and the Bulldog.

July 23, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Franco

Yes I've been, for a week, and it was a lot of fun. I had a great time.

July 24, 2012 @ 7:01 PM