2012 Toronto Shooting Locations

2012 Toronto Shooting LocationsThis map of Toronto shootings thus far in 2012 comes courtesy of Toronto Police Service. Gunfire erupted at a block party on Danzig St., in the Morningside and Lawrence Ave. E. area of Scarborough, just before 11pm last night, killing 2 and injuring 21 others.

Here's the map.

shootings_map

What strikes me is how evenly spread out the shootings have been. It's remarkably balanced.

Wulv

That is a pretty interesting Graphic, I wonder what one of Detroit or Chicago looks like in comparison.
I actually grew up on the other side of Morningside from the Danzig shooting. I was pretty shocked at the news.

July 17, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Mississauga Phil

My wife grew up in one of the worst parts of Scarborough (Kingston and McCown)....this is unfortunaly a somewhat regular occurance, not on this scale (21 people hurt!!!) but, shootings/stabbings were common in her neighborhood. It's very sad....

This would be one of the many reasons I refused her mothers request that we live Scarborough when my wife got pregnant...no way I'd raise my kid anywhere near that! I have lived in Mississauga my entire life, and while it is not crime free...I have never heard a gunshot in my life that wasn't in a movie...my wife can not say the same thing.

July 17, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

I've lived in Toronto my entire life, but always west of Yonge.

I've never heard a gunshot.

July 17, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - this is not and indictment of Toronto as a whole. I've never lived there, but I have worked there, as has my father since before i was born.

You are going to have troublemakers no matter where you live, I'm simply stating that the farther east of Younge and south of Lawrence you get, the higher the "gang" type violnce is prevelant. This is not a steriotype of all peolpe living in Scarborough (I've met many great people from that area). But fact and statistics speak for themselves. There are places in Scarbourough I would not walk alone in (I am 6'2 ang about 215 lbs). The same is not true in Mississauga, or even the west side of TO. Of couse you can be in the wrong place at teh wrong time almost anywhere, but there are areas of Scarborough that would be just tempting fate.

July 17, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

@Mississauga Phil

In 2012 at least, it looks like the shootings aren't just a Scarborough thing.

In fact, most shootings seem to have happened west of Yonge.

I'm just surprised at how evenly spread out the shootings in this city have been.

July 17, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Wulv

Scarborough's issue I think stems a lot from the amount of Assisted Housing that was built up. I grew up there, and everyone knew what areas to be around and where not to go alone. Danzig was one of the more tame area compared to areas like Galloway. When I look back, my blue collar neighbourhood was surrounded by assisted housing except of course south toward the lake.
As for South and East of Lawrence, I think the people of pretty much every community along the lakes beg to differ. I would put the border above Kingston Rd.

Funny thing about Mississauga, I remember going to University and meeting someone from Mississauga that had to go through pat downs to enter his High School. I guess at the time there was a couple gang incidents in the school where knives and guns were shown.
I was robbed for the first time ever in Mississauga, near Clarkson.
There are some areas in Mississauga I wouldn't walk around alone in, Malton , Dundas and Hurontario being 2.

July 17, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

Wulv

Interesting map, Homicides not just Guns.http://www3.thestar.com/static/googlemaps/homicidemap.html

July 17, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Wuluv - 5&10 (Dundas & Hurontario) is scetchy for sure, but it doesn't hold a candle to Kingston and McCown. And the school in question was probably TL Kennedy- Mississauga's little slice of Compton.

@ Mike - I hear waht you are saying about the widepread violence, it's a product of the times, but can you honestly tell me you'd take raising your kids in Scarborough over raising them in Mississauga?

July 17, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

@Mississauga Phil

I'm abstaining because of my pitiful familiarity of everything East of Yonge. I simply don't know Scarborough.

If we look at the old boroughs, I've lived in Toronto proper, York and Etobicoke. In my experience, all areas are perfectly safe for raising a family.

July 17, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - Like I said, there are plenty of area's of Toronto that are great for families (that douche from city hall's opinion to the contrary). All I'm saying is that Scarorough is not one of them. I'd prefer not to live in "downtown" but thats due more to the noise and traffic than any safety concerns.

July 17, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Here's a great map of GTA homicides in 2012:

Looks like all murders are distributed equally as well.

July 17, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Ryan G

During my high school years we lived in Malvern.

# of problems we had: 0

Now I live in the downtown core not far from the revitalization going on in Regent Park.

# of problems we've had: 0

Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky.

July 17, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

MrFascination

We all know where the problem is. 82% of gun crime involve a certain ethnic background. But police are not allowed to state this. As long as we don't address the issue because we're scared to be "policially incorrect" - Nothing will get solved.

These kids grow up looking up to these "artist" that glorify the gun and the gangster lifestyle.

A lot of good kids stirred wrong. VERY SAD...

July 17, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

FRED

MrFascination nails it.

Fucking n*gg*rs...

July 17, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

MrFascination

@Fred - Hate that word....

July 17, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

@FRED

Please don't use that word. Thanks...

July 17, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

Mike from Lowville

Looks like the only safe place is Toronto Island. My favorite spot!

July 17, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

The question I have for my fellow Torontonians is this: Do you feel safe in Toronto?

July 17, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Gump

Rightly or wrongly, I do.
That's what a $1M will buy you in this city - a relatively crime free area (only white collar crime here).

July 17, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

CQ

There is a Race (and gender) component to this issue. It is never exclusive, of course(!), but it is there. Whatever happened to Hope, Change, and a Teachable Moment? Look at Chicago's recent murder rate troubles. I honestly expected a reversal of 'modern gang culture' from President Obama's hometown.
I try watching a few cultural movies on Bounce or the older Black Music infomercials on CoolTV - and all the performers seem like quaint Uncle Toms compared to the whole "keepin' it real" attitudes of this century. In reality, it is the opposite.

July 17, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Mississauga Phil, Kingston and McCowan is okay Cliffcrest area (except for the Maisonnettes toward Bellamy Rd S, Ontario Housing with transitional housing for refugee claimants. I went to RH King collegiate, and grew up in this area.

Eglinton and McCowan is a tough neighbourhood, we called it the 400 McCowan block and it was a place to avoid when I was a teenager in the mid 70's, can't imagine what kind of hell hole it is today.

My dad is still in the pocket bounded by Mccowan on the west, Bellamy on the east sandwiched between Kingston Rd and Eglinton, which are tidy bungalows owned by neighbours for over 50 years. Then you hit Eglinton and Markham road. There is just too much high density Ontario Housing in the East end, one of the reasons I pulled up stakes and moved far west to Oakville. One gun shooting is one too many for me.

The Galloway and Kingston road area (not far from Danzig)is also a high density government assisted neighbour hood and was known for the Galloway Boys gang a few years ago. If your up early enough and drive out Kingston road you maybe lucky enough to receive an invitation from one of the street walkers that work this area.

July 17, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Derrick

Could be worse. We could be living in Barrie and dealing with the bomb squad in our neighbourhood.

July 17, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Milla

Shooting and guns are a imported black thing. The more black people in an area the more shooting.

Oh, the wonders of diversity, our strength.

July 17, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

Mississauga Phil

The racists here sicken me!

@ Rick C - My wife, and ehr siblings all went to RH King. If you know the area, then you'll know where my wife grew up - 3190 Kingston Rd. A friend of my wife's, who still lives there heard gunshots last week, it never made it to the news, so we're assuming no one died.

July 18, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

Elba

@Mississauga Phil. I grew up in the Kingston Road/McCowAn area too and I most certainly wouldn't say that this area is "one of the worst parts in Scarborough." My mother still lives in the area and won't leave it. My siblings and I went to elementary and high school there and we collectively didn't have many negative experiences.

I agree with Rick C in Oakville. Eglinton and McCowan is more of a tougher area and the farther east you travel on Kingston Road, the more dodgier it is.

But to say that McCowan and Kingston is "one of the worst," well, that's a bit much (IMHO). :)

-Sincerely a fellow Mississauga resident

July 18, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

Boomer

@Mississauga Phil.
It's not racist. It is fact.

July 18, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Boomer - not going to dignify that with a response.

@ Elba - Having not lived there myself, I can only go by what my wife and her siblings say about growing up there. Where my wife grew up (3190 Kingston Rd.) is just a bit west of where Kingston and Eglinton meet.

July 18, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

Icarus

Hey Mike, although the word Fred mentioned above is vile I think he should be allowed the benefit of the doubt as he was only exposing the vileness of the previous comment, (which you did not).

Gun crime is more correlated to classes of society and there is no aspect of skin colour that makes you more likely to be involved with gun crime.

Its also worth saying that Toronto (and most cities in general) has a lower rate of gun crime per capita than most rural areas. Despite these occurances, Toronto is a great and safe place to live.

July 18, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Rob

I live in Vaughan and there is like no crime here. I wouldn't be afraid to go anywhere at night on foot.

As for Toronto it would be difficult for me to speak about the city having never lived in it. I couldn't imagine living in an area where I am afraid to go out at night.

July 18, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

twins from bolton

Moved here in 1999 with 8 yr. old twin boys after Todd Bayliss (TO cop) murdered 2 minutes from where we used to live. I'm a Toronto native & didn't want to leave but wifey made the choice & after thinking about future with the kids, we moved.

BEST decision made in my 50+ years.

2012 in T.Dot seems again "the summer of the gun" with another murder at Jane & Eglinton - 5 minutes from previous home.

My neighbor is a Peel Cop & told me yesterday that with Caribana in 2 weeks all police in GTA have been asked to work that weekend with triple overtime. He said retaliation & retribution may happen as the last 2-3 Caribana weekends have had 2 or 3 murders. He is not working as life is more precious than $.

Caledon the Safest place to live in Canada for the 2nd year in a row.

July 18, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Zach

I don't understand why police and government don't just check our gun registry to catch the chaps responsible!

Oh, they won't be in there? Throw that shit in the bin and use the extra money to get some SWAT out to the problem areas routing out each and every one of these gang members then sending them over to Afghanistan to build schools, or my personal choice for them - human IED detectors.

July 18, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Zach - Hear Hear Brother. The gun regestry is the most idiotic thing the GOv't has done in a while. It assumes that the criminals are buying their guns legaly and regeistering them...guess what I'm sure whatever weapons were used in the Scarborough Shootings were bought off the back of a truck and have the serial numbers filed off!!

July 18, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I've never attempted to buy a gun, and doubt I ever will, but I suspect it wouldn't be very difficult.

I almost feel like securing a gun illegally just to prove the point.

July 18, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

andrew

You may need it Mike, living in Toronto. A gun is the same priority as a car - everyone needs one, just to survive.

July 18, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

@andrew

That's stupid. People who don't live in Toronto might believe you.

I've never felt unsafe in Toronto.

July 18, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

andrew

Lifestyle is a changin' constantly for the worse. Guns & Gangs everywhere in Toronto.

I don't live in Toronto. You've never felt unsafe in Toronto??
Only time I go there is to see a Jays game & constantly watching my back.

July 18, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

@andrew

You sound like someone who's never lived here.

I bike / walk throughout the city, never once felt unsafe.

True story.

July 18, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

andrew

I've lived in Toronto for many years. Do you still walk throughout the city, not just your neighborhood?

Florida Pizza on Eglinton & Keele, Vesuvio's Pizza on Dundas (best pizza in TO), Sam The Record Man at Royal York Plaza & Jane & Bloor, Humber Valley Golf Course, just to name a few.

Moved from Toronto 13 years ago & away from the crime overall.

July 18, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Mississauga Phil: Just Google mapped 3190 Kingston road and it's what we use to call the Maisonnettes, in the 70's, I'm glad she was able to move on, as it would have been a tough place to grow up. Anything west of your wifes place, to RH King is pretty decent, but east word definitely got dodgier.

July 18, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Boomer

@Mississauga Phil.

As Mr. Fascination states "82% of gun crime involve a certain ethnic background. But police are not allowed to state this. As long as we don't address the issue because we're scared to be "policially incorrect" - Nothing will get solved."

July 18, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Boomer - where are you getting this stat from....and if it is correct, maybe instead of pointing the finger, we should try and figure out why.

July 19, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Boomer

@ Mississauga Phil.

The study was done by Michael Ornstein of York University.

You are proving my point. We need to point the finger to try and figure out why. I agree with you 100%. It's not racism. It's pointing out that hey, the statistics say this is where most of the problem is occuring from. I watched the news the day after the Scarborough shooting and there were some black leaders saying it was a black problem and we need to help find a solution to getting to these kids.

July 19, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Boomer - My apologies then. You are correct that facts can not be construed as racist, only what we do with those facts.

July 19, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Geoff

I was vacationing near Owen Sound in June when I heard about a double homicide in Craigleith. A double homicide in that little town?! That's some pretty bad per capita odds and I'm sure everyone in the Collingwood thinks Toronto is a dangerous place to live?

July 19, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

There are more per-capita murders in rural parts of Canada than Toronto.

July 19, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Boomer

@ Mississauga Phil

Agreed!

July 19, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - Of course there are. If you have 2,000 people in a small town and over 2,000,000 living in the GTA, one small town murder is the equvilant of 1000 murders in toronto, you can't use that stat as proof that TO is safer than small towns.

I'm not saying that Toronto is decaying into Snake Plisken's New York or anything, but you can't compare apples and oranges.

July 19, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Geoff

@ Mississauga Phil - Of course you can use that stat ... what other stat are you going to use?! I'm not claiming you can judge a town on one or two incidents but if you look at the stats over say 10 years and a towns per capita murder rate is double yours, then you are twice as likely to get murdered in that town as compared to yours.

July 19, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Geoff - It only works if you are using towns with simialr populations. So to use the per capita stat to compare Toronto and Ottawa is one thing, but you couldn't use it to compare say Toronto and Bolton....

July 19, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Most of the smaller towns murders are domestics, which are usually solved quickly, less chance of a random gun shooting as what was experienced in Scarborough.

July 19, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Geoff

@ Mississauga Phil - If you are comparing 2 towns of approximately the same population then you don't need a per capita measure, you just compare totals. The reason for a per capita measure is to specifically compare towns of different populations. Here is an example (but I'm reversing "losing" to "winning"): Would you rather join a lottery of 100 people where there are 5 prizes or would you rather join a lottery of 100,000 people where there are 2,500 prizes. I'm assuming you would join the 100 person lottery as your odds of winning are 5 out of 100 as opposed to 2.5 out of 100. Well it works the same way if you change prizes to something undesirable happening to you; which in thgs case you'd go for the bigger group (and lower odds). Here's hoping these type of stats go down everywhere.

July 20, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

3190

I grew up in 3190 late 80's to 2000 and I find it laughable that your wife has had such a rough life there , there was only one shooting the whole time I lived there and only 1 after I had moved until present. I think your wife is just trying to get sympathy sorry dude

July 31, 2012 @ 12:45 AM

Jess

"My wife grew up in one of the worst parts of Scarborough (Kingston and McCown)."

Phil, you obviously do not know about scarborough, first off, That is actually a really nice area south of there and honestly it has minimal crime. i haven't heard any issues there in a LONG time. in fact, there are some beautiful homes there, homes that cost way more than they would in Mississauga

October 16, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

Jess

Btw, phil, i see you enjoy pointing out the "crime" in scarborough, but did you even look at the map which this page is about ? More than half of the shootings are in the west end! I think you are judging based on scarborough's reputation rather than the facts. I grew up there my whole life and experienced NO violence whatsoever. And kingston and mccowan is FAR from an at risk neighbourhood, take a drive at you will see.
I currently live in peterborough, and i grew up in scarborough my entire life, i am WAY more cautious about where i walk in downtown peterborough than scarborough, no comparison.

October 16, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Anonymous

Toronto has its bad areas like any other city. Naturally as the population grows you get more crime.
Criminals are attracted to public housing because they can intimidate the residents , knowing those people cannot just simply move out. I've heard of apartments being taken over by gangsters and paying off the tenant so they can sell thier drugs and have meetings.
The tenant has little choice in the matter once the thungs have decided their residence is in a good location for the criminals activities.
Gangsters are in all cities.

Live in Mississauga and the gangsters are here too, only they are not as obvious and keep low key in their dealings, murders bring heat and that is what they don't want.

About ten years ago Joe Mellow a mob enforcer was shot dead in his car along with an associate at 6 pm in the summer and broad daylight in the parking lot of Applewoods village on north service road and highway 10.

Although not common , they happen here.

November 18, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

len

Police need powers to stop and search people and their cars like they used to have.
Now that does not mean all crime will stop, but it prevents these mongrels from wondering the streets taking shots at people if they know they can be stopped and searched.

Criminals love this country and it's soft laws on crime.
Even when they are caught they get little punishment and you pay the freight for lawyers and warehousing them for short sentences.

Police can clean up much of this gun violence if they have the tools and some realistic jail terms for dangerous people packing guns.

November 18, 2012 @ 4:17 AM