Father's Day Open Mike

Open MikeSunday is Father's Day. I can't wait to see what crap the kids made me this year!

You know the drill, discuss anything you want in this space. And if you have a question, I'll drop by throughout the day to answer you.

And Bob Loblaw... be nice!

Andrew

I have to work this Father's Day weekend... it's ok. My son and wife make it feel like Father's Day all the time. I'm very lucky.

To all the father's out there, enjoy your day.

Cheers!

June 15, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Andrew - Great Sentiment man!! Happy Fathers Day to you.

I will be camping with my little guy, as well as my dad, nephew and brother in law...my 4 year old says he's going to catch a bear (not sure if there are any bears in Earl Rowe, but hey all he has is a supersoaker anyways)

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad's out there!!!

June 15, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Ryan G

I just re-watched a film that I haven't seen in years, and it seems to get better with age. I highly recommend it.

Sexy Beast.

Ben Kingsley is simply fantastic in this film. And the cinematography, the tone, the character development, dark humour -it's all there.

It has traces of "yet-another-retired-gangster-doing-one-last-heist" film, but the heist is secondary and only a small part of the film.

Allow me to share a great line uttered by the maniac Kingsley plays, Don Logan:

"I f----- Jackie. Dirty cow. During what we were doing, she tried to stick her finger up my bum. I nearly hit the roof, you can imagine. I mean, what have you got to think of a woman who'd want to do that?"

June 15, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

Rob

Just started watching Archer. A hillarious show :)

June 15, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Is it just me or does the price of gas seem high relative to the price of a barrel of oil. When gas was $1.28, the cost of a barrel was $106. Oil has dropped $24 a barrel in the last month but the price of gas has dropped about a nickel. I seem to remember the spokespersons for the industry identifying a number of refineries going off line for 3 months or so back in the spring. So my question is with these refineries coming back on line and the price of oil 20% cheaper than it was a month ago, are we heading for a substantial reduction at the pumps for the rest of the summer? What a great father's day that would be!!
Irvine...yer up!

June 15, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Cheryl

I had a terrible day today. My work computer is fried. The help desk tried and tried to do stuff and the guy said it was fine. Well, I gave up. It's the weekend anyway. Someone is coming tomorrow to check it out though. It's really serious. This computer I'm on now is working fine, but my other wonefor work sin't. This is a bad day like Friday the 13th except it's Friday the 15th.

June 15, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Declan

England victorious!

June 15, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Sam in Pickering

@Andrew

Happy Father's Day!

@Mississauga Phil

Happy Father's Day!

@Ryan G

Sexy Beast was my nickname in high school

@Rob

What's Archer about?

@Nigel Trousershrapnel

They get us coming and going. Gas prices are far too high.

@Cheryl

That sucks.

@Declan

Go Canada!

June 15, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

elvis

First Father's Day as a Father of two. Very exciting.

June 15, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Looks like the weekend is going to be great for all us fathers. Most important job we will ever take on. Congrats to all the fathers who read Mikes Blog, and have a great weekend!
By the way Humble and Fred are on Being Frank at 1am tonight.

June 15, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

I understand when you're asked to be on Being Frank, it's dangerous to decline the offer.

June 15, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Blind Dave

Happy Fathers Day to all!

And for me, it is Happy (Grand)Fathers Day, as of yesterday, that is. :) :)

And it's a girl.

June 15, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Gump

To all the Fathers out there -- I dare you to watch this without tearing up just a little (and yes, I know it is a crass commercial, but I don't care).

Being a father is the hardest job in the world, but yet the simplest - protect the kid, support the kid, listen to the kid, guide the kid, (love the mom), but most of all, be there.

June 16, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

dale

@Gump

My rug just shrunk watching this.

Happy Father's Day to all.

June 16, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Cheryl

Yes, it does suck, but turns out it's not my hard drive. I had memory gone bad. My friend put different memory in it and tested it and it's working fine now. Everything is fine and I didn't have to pay for a new hard drive. My friend had some other memory and he swopped the memory and tested everything. It's fine.

June 16, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Rob de

I am a little surprised by your comment "I can't wait to see what crap the kids made me this year!" this comments seems a bit out of character for you.

June 16, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Irvine

@Nigel:

The likely reason you see proportionally high gas prices to crude oil is the following

1. Summer gas consumption is higher, so refineries run at max (which is why they do maintenance during spring/winter).

2. Something known as "crack spread". It's essentially the profit margin of the refinery. Not all oil is equal and because of that certain types of oil make for better gasoline (heavy oil is lousy for gasoline). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_spread

For the record, both refining and gasoline retail are very low margin businesses. This explains why so many gas stations have closed in the past 20 years. It also explains why stations are now so large & try to sell you everything under the sun. There simply isn't much money just selling gas. Refining is very expensive because of having to build/maintain the refinery, wages & energy used to crack.

Oil companies make their money by buying a "lease" on the land from the province (and provinces make lots of money on this). This gives them access to the resources on the property. They can hold the land for years or even decades before they drill. As oil prices rise, their investment rises in value. It's no different than someone that bought a house in Caledon in 1970 & is now a millionaire.

Higher priced gas is actually a good thing. It's the economic incentive needed to create alternative to fossil fuels.

Off Topic: With all the talk about the TTC and it's issues I thought I'd add this in.

I was on Bowen Island looking around at houses. Bowen Island is an island just off Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. Wikipedia says the island is 12km x 6km. Amazingly, Vancouver transit (Translink) runs TWO buses on this island, which take you to a ferry, which takes you to Horseshoe Bay. At Horseshoe Bay, you jump on an express bus (route 257) which takes you to downtown Vancouver (and the Skytrain). Approx time about 1 hour. Pretty damn amazing. Toss in some nice electric buses, the best public light rail in the country & their version of GO (West Coast Express). I'll pay 15 cents extra on a litre of gas for that without blinking.

Google Maps of Bowen Island (near the ferry)

And a fitting song..from 100.5 The Peak. Feist - Mushaboom.

June 16, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

@Rob de

I was kidding. I love any crap the kids make me. My bar for satisfaction is super low.

June 16, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

Sammi

Sorry Irvine...you lost me. Oil companies are making billion dollar profits. Your explanation is ridiculous.

The explanation is quite simple as to why the prices are not in line with the price per barrel. It's called gouging. Simple. End of discussion.

June 16, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Joe Jackson

@ Sammi

Couldn't agree more!

June 16, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Irvine

@Sammi.

So what if the energy industry makes billion dollar profits. The oil industry doesn't set the price of oil, the traders on the mercantile exchanges do. Is it gouging if you bought a house when prices were low & it went up in value? Should we set a price on that?

Is the gold mining industry gouging you? Gold's way up. Is the corn industry gouging you? Prices are way up. Is the coffee industry gouging you? Prices are way up.

And if its' all gouging and speculation, how come natural gas prices are so low?

You hate the energy industry, but you forget that it is the single largest wealth creator in this country. In fact, most of that $3.2 billion in transfer payments poor little Ontario will receive was created because of the oil industry. Maybe instead of sending Ontario billions of dollars, The West should use that money to buy missiles.

The best part is you'll continue to use a computer (petroleum product), drive a SUV and demand to eat tropical fruits in winter time. You're simply too dim to understand how they all got to your house.

And maybe rush out and get an electric car to fix it dude. Don't forget the average car requires about 40 barrels of oil to manufacturing (mining, mfg, shipping). That'll show em

#cluelessEasterner.

June 16, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Irvine

One last thing I forgot to mention.

The energy industry shares it's wealth with it's workers. How many maritimers have food & the dignity of a job because of the energy industry? And they make 6 figure salaries AND get their airfare paid to send them home.

Oh and how many jobs are created in the financial industry in Toronto to finance the construction of the oil sands? In fact the energy industry is the single largest consumer of financial capital. How many jobs on Bay Street are created because of oil and gas?

And how many jobs are created in the industrial sector thanks to oil and gas? How many rail cars of pipes, fittings, valves, steel, etc are bought? When you factor in nat gas, it's something like $40 BILLION dollars of direct benefit to Ontario companies.

And Alberta sends about $20 billion more to Ottawa a year than it gets back. How many hospital beds does that create? How many schools does that build? How many single moms feed their kid with government money thanks to this GENEROUS payment?

Danielle Smith once said that Alberta & the energy industries slogan should be "We get nothing. Not even gratitude". And while people struggle to find jobs in Toronto, Alberta is having a labour shortage. What's that like? Well that's the kind of economy where young people looking for a change at a good job come and find it.

If that's gouging, I'll take it.

June 16, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Corey

Ahh. The typical Irving m.o.: write a comment, then when challenged, immediately switch to insulting, condescending mode, start throwing baseless assumptions around, and then disappear for a week or so. Classic.

I know, based on what I just wrote, that you won't respond, but I'll ask anyway, Irv.

1) "You're simply too dim to understand how they all got to your house." How did you determine that from anything Sammi wrote?

2) "#cluelessEasterner" Save the hashtags for Twitter slick. And why does this become a west/east thing? You're not convincing me that people out west don't demand out-of-season fruit, and don't use computers or other petroleum based products. You deride electric cars, yet Vancouver has probably the highest penetration of electric cars in the country.

3) Piss and moan about transfer payments all you want. That's how the country works. Deal with it. For how many decades did Ontario prop up the rest of the country? Believe it or not mighty Alberta used to receive equalization payments, whereas Ontario NEVER had until 2009. Fair is fair.

June 17, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Gump - Beautiful Man

June 17, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

James

My GF has a 7 year old. I have seem to have inherited her as a Step daughter . I'm becoming very ok with that . My ex wife and I did not have kids and until recently i did not know how much i missed that in my life. We had a great day together today. The best fathers day for a very long time. My father having passed on 10 years ago. I think i could get used to this :)

June 17, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ James - Kids are contagous aren't they???

Honestly man, respect to you taking on you girl's kid. I don't know a lot of guys who would do that....

June 18, 2012 @ 8:16 AM