Why Rob Ford vs. Daniel Dale Annoys Me

Rob Ford vs. Daniel DaleI've had a few emails asking me when I'm going to write about the incident at Rob Ford's house yesterday evening. Here's Daniel Dale's account of what happened, if you're a bit behind.

The fact is, I don't want to write about this. This story annoys the shit out of me. Rob Ford is such an alienating figure in this city, that everybody either loves him or hates him. Depending upon which side of the fence you're on (no pun intended), this story simply reinforces your aforementioned decision.

Take my pal Freddie P, for example. He's the biggest Rob Ford apologist I know. Of course he sees this as the Toronto Star threatening the Mayor's security late at night. It doesn't matter that:

1. It was still bright outside
  2. Dale was on public property the entire time
  3. Dale clearly stated who he was and why he was there
  4. Earlier in the day a significant story broke about Ford using his influence to buy public land

All of that is irrelevant, because Rob Ford is defending his family. Those who love Rob Ford, love him even more because of stories like this. His fan base eats this shit up.

And if you don't like Rob Ford, this is yet another example of how ridiculous he has become. Rob Ford's first account of a controversy has never been accurate. Now, whether it's Marg Delahunty or Daniel Dale, Rob Ford's in danger. The most legitimate threat reported from Ford's house since he became mayor was his sister's ex-boyfriend who entered though the front door.

Another day, another silly controversy involving our mayor, and everybody will use the incident as further proof of how horrible / awesome Ford is. That's why the story annoys me and that's why I refuse to write about it.

halo

Yep he's got a trick deck full of victim cards and his fans are wild about them. Every fuck-up and childish outburst can be spun into a "they're out to get me" win.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

INSUMMARY

Daniel Dale is accused of being in a public park. Rob Ford is accused of physically threatening him with violence.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

CQ

This is precisely how Princess Diana was relentlessly chased to her death by "righteous journalism". Dale was in the public park (in broad daylight not falling dusk, taking his own public pictures - for a leading newspaper publication? - with his peep camera that just happened to have a dead battery, while working on an assignment) - not an adjacent empty ravine, just not exactly upon the Ford property. So, "tee hee and boo boop bah doop" as justification?

May 3, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Grumpy Penguin

And today Ford went on AM 640 and said he wanted to buy the piece of land so his kids would have more room to play. He can't even get that part of the story right, so how would it be remotely possible for him to get the rest of it right?

And comparing this to Princess Di? That's practically Godwin's Law, right there.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

@CQ

I think you missed the point. Dale was at Ford's house because of this story.

That context is key. He wrote that story, and wanted to see the public land Ford wants to buy from the city for himself. Ford's also said he wants the land to build a fence, but if he has a big fence already, that's part of the story.

A newspaper reporter covering this story is entitled to visit the house so long as he doesn't trespass on Ford's property - and by all accounts he didn't.

When Ford sees little Daniel Dale who he knows full well writes for the Star and is covedring this possible land deal, he isn't fearing for his safety, he's employing his personal vendetta against the Toronto Star.

This is the first time Ford's spoken to a Star reporter in two years.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

BM

I'm not a Ford fan but I'll say this: the Star publishing "news stories" on his KFC visits have made them lose a lot of their credibility. And defending their reporter who was on public property after 8pm (regardless of whether it was dark or not), with no working phone or voice recorder (convenient that none of the altercation was caught on tape), without having called the TRCA ahead of time to let them know he's be on their public property for a story...is pathetic. Ford's neighbour is the one who saw Dale and warned the mayor. If a neighbour saw him close enough to call it suspicious, I'd say it's worth looking into.

Don't lump everyone together with blind loyalty to a "fan base"; I'm NOT a Ford supporter but I see this issue as what it is: a self-victimizing Star reporter villainizing the mayor to distract from the fact that he was basically stalking the guy.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

CQ is Crazy

Princess Di? Really? You're comparing a reporter doing his job on public property to what happened to Princess Di?

That's so stupid!

May 3, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

@BM

I wish the Star hadn't posted that KFC video for that exact reason.

It's well known the man has an eating and drinking problem. I hope he gets help for both, and in the meantime, I don't think it should be fodder for shits and giggles.

I honestly don't care how much our mayor weighs, so long as he builds consensus on council, represents the values of the city he leads and steers us in the right direction.

May 3, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Matt

Ford had all the right to do what he did, infact if I were Ford I would have punched out the guy, and so would most people I know who would protect their family from stupid losers like Dan. Yeah he may be harmless but his intent sure isn't. The Star: 0 Rob Ford: 1

May 3, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

kids these days...

Mike, I don't know if we have the authority to determine his eating/drinking problems...but definitely an anger problem. I think we can all agree that he's basically an asshole.

But if you really want to group everyone into two camps:

1. Those who play the "IT WAS PUBLIC PROPERTY OMG! Our mayor is a fat, festering Jabba the Hutt analog!" in favour of Daniel Dale, and...

2. Those who play the "POOR MAYOR FORD HE WAS JUST DEFENDING HIMSELF AGAINST THIS TINY MAN! INVASION OF PRIVACY!" in favour of Ford.

I feel like claiming "it was public property" as the only defense is like those obnoxious kids who pretend to poke you but repeatedly chant "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!"
Cut the crap, dudes. It's still bullying. On both sides--the Star's and Ford's--this is just pushing their childish vendetta to a new extreme low. I wouldn't want to write on this either, if I were you. It's so childish.

You're right: let's focus on what he's doing for the city. Great, we have a $282 million surplus this year. But I ask...what services did he cut to get us here? THESE are the issues!

May 3, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Miroslav Glavic

He was NOT using his influence, when he sent the letter to TRCA for that land, he signed it Rob Ford, not Mayor Ford/Mayor Rob Ford.

Rob is still a private citizen when he takes off the Mayor hat. Just like any other Council member, they were two hats (one at the time), Council member then as individuals/private citizens.

May 3, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

CQ

Rob or Diana?
He cannot buy fast food without a publicity blitz and scorn.
He, and his kids, cannot enjoy his own backyard (or their home with the drapes left open) in the evening - without news peepers.
He cannot step unto his driveway without unannounced, costumed semi-retired personalities jostling him.
And on and on...

May 3, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Miroslav Glavic

I forgot one more thing: If you are going to visit the Mayor's house...at least give him a courtesy call, most Main Stream media have his cell phone number and of George something (I cant ever remember his last name) who is his Press Secretary.

Ford has every right to be upset, did you ever see/heard some of the death threats he gets? You'd be upset if you had kids and got those.

May 3, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

@Matt

And that's exactly why this story annoys me and why I refuse to write about it.

Like @kids these days... says, there are two camps. Either he's on public property and well within his rights, or Rob Ford is legitimately threatened by his presence. Regardless of what you may think of the Star, Dale has the right to do what he did.

I just wish Ford would accept a security details so we can stop with this distracting melodrama. A security detail would abolish this nonsense once and for all, and protect the mayor from the Star and CBC.

@Miroslav Glavic

Yes, he signed the document Rob Ford instead of Mayor Ford, but you can't really separate the man from the title. It's like when Rupert Murdoch said he's never asked a politician for anything. Rupert Murdoch doesn't have to ask.... he's Rupert Murdoch.

Rob Ford doesn't have to ask the city to sell him public land to increase the value of his home by signing "Mayor Ford"... he's still Mayor Ford.

May 3, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Cambo

Mike, if it wasn't the Toronto Star, you might have an argument.

The Star was CLEARLY there to stir controversy, as they always are. The Sun, the Globe, The Post. None of them give 2 craps about this land-buying story. At least not enough to send a reporter.

You're telling me that this "world-class reporter" didn't have his cell phone charged, and "forgot" to record on his recorder?

No. I would have done the EXACT SAME THING as Ford. Show me the pictures he was taking. Every one. I will BET he was snooping.

May 3, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Franco

The thing that irks me the most about this story is how people condone, tolerate and promote verbal and physical violence from our mayor towards a man who was doing his job. What does this say about our city that we hold our mayor up to a very thin standard? It's depressing.

May 3, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

@Cambo

Define "snooping"?

Dale is employed by the Star, and he is the guy covering the TRCA land sale. Because of these reasons, it makes sense he would visit this public property to flesh out his reporting on this subject.

And I hate the fact all of this normalcy is tainted by a "war" between our mayor and Canada's biggest newspaper.

May 3, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Sammy

We are burying the lead story here.

Here's a fresh Ford quote: "Every single person said I should have just cooked the guy."

Rob Ford was going to cook Daniel Dale and eat him! Cannibal... RUN!

May 3, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Cambo

Remember, it was a neighbour who alerted Ford to someone adjacent to the property. If someone shows up in the neighbourhood of a publicly visible individual, it is bound to raise suspicions. Clearly, the actions of the individual raised enough of a suspicion.

Because the Star has a well-known reputation for having a hate-on for Ford, it is truly doubtful they were there for purely innocent reasons. Given their past behaviour, they've clearly tarnished their own reputation- such they can't be seen to report legitimately.

NO ONE CARES that Ford wants to buy some land. He is legally entitled to inquire. Anyone can. The Star is making this a story, where none need exist. And they're doing it purely for the intention of bringing him down.

May 3, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

JJ

Just like any other Conservative, you never can believe their side of the story.

Its either left or right with this guy. Why isn't the Toronto Sun questioning this so-called public acquisition? But low & behold cuz the Toronto Star covers it, it is called an "Attack on privacy".

Seems to me someone was just doing their job & someone else lost his cool(as usual) because it was specifically The Star.

If someone wants to make $$$ in this city start a newspaper with no slant, no angles, just the facts baby....just the facts.

May 3, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Rob

Umm...any chance this isn't a left wing / right wing thing, and maybe...just perhaps...they were BOTH wrong?
I have no interest in TO politics (I live in the 519), but this whole scenario (from Dale's sob-story on The Stars site to Ford's 'I felt threatened') seems pretty childish.
Doesn't Dale have ANY other story to report on thatmight be even slightly more important than this?
Doesn't Ford have a city to run?

May 3, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Mississauga Phil

I have to agree with Rob from 519.

The Star goes to extreme, and comical ends to make Ford look bad (I would compare it ti Fox News' coverage of anything Obama in the states). Rob Ford can do no right by the Star, and they attack him at every turn.

That being said, Rob Ford is his own worst enemy. He constantly talks out of both sides of his mouth, and complains anytime someone form the media does or says anything he doesn't like. The KFC thing is a perfect example. If Rob Ford wants to be helthier and loose some weight, than just do it, don't make a whole specticale out of it, cause when you break your diet (as we all have done) of course you're going to be called out on it.

I think The Star and Rob Ford just need to get over themselves, get a hotel room and have some much needed make up sex!

May 3, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

McNulty

There is truth in this story somewhere.

1) Dale was there for a legitimate reason - but he probably did take some pictures he shouldn't have.

2) Ford have every right to be pissed he was there - but he probably overreacted and was too angry and confrontational.

No one wins in this story. But Ford comes across worse with every interview. Banning the Star from everything is a little silly.

The funny part of the story is that both brothers claim that the Star is following them around, yet on their radio show Doug Ford offered for them to follow them around all day.

Still, the media should stay away from Ford's family and his home. There were other ways to get the information that they needed.

Ford would get a lot more sympathy if he didn't act like a jerk about it with name calling and anger.

The Toronto Star could be made into such fools if he was just a little more calm.

May 3, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

BM

I think Cambo and Rob summed up everything pretty well...

I agree that freedom of press dictates Dale has a right to investigate the story--regardless of how menial we might think it is. But there should be a level of common courtesy and professionalism that a man like Dale should observe when involving:
a) a public figure, especially on who's been getting violent threats and is therefore rightly on the defensive,
b) has been shown to have anger problems and might lash out,
c) a figure who is already not on great terms with your paper due to past problems involving unprofessional behaviour (regardless of whose side was unprofessional).

Instead of acting self-righteous and writing that pathetic sob story, Dale could have been the bigger person and CALLED AHEAD. And if he got told NO, then he could've written a story on how Ford is being elusive and secretive and blah blah blah.

May 3, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

elvis

The only thing we really know is CQ thinks Rob Ford is Princess Diana. That argument is shittier than Mike and CQ's blog combined!

May 3, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Brian

Mike, seriously dude - you really have to stop with the Rob Ford bashing. Read your blog daily, but the Ford stuff is nauseating.
BTW - anyone (volleyball players aside i guess), would react the same way he did if they saw some guy hanging around and peering into their backyard.

May 3, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

@Brian

That's precisely why I'm not going to write about this. It just infuriates me and it's so annoying.

May 3, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Justin

Serious question Mike:

Would you be ok with a suspicious man standing right behind your backyard fence taking pictures of your property at 7:30 at night?

Give me a break dude. It doesn't matter if Dale wasn't technically on Ford's property. Dale, a professional journalist, should not have been doing what he was doing.

May 3, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

@Justin

Serious Answer:

I'd ask him what he's doing there, and when he explained that he's Daniel Dale and what he's covering, I'd remember I'm the Mayor and respect Daniel's right to do that.

But I'm sick of sounding like I'm defending the Star. I just think this is an awfully big overreaction by Rob Ford because a Star reporter was on public property.

May 3, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Justin

Daniel Dale has a right to lurk behind Ford's house and take pictures of his property? Please. He has a legal right but for a journalistic institution like the Star it was highly inappropriate. The Mayor deserves privacy at his own home after work hours, and a reporter lurking around taking unauthorized pictures of Ford's property is just ridiculous.

May 3, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

Cheryl

Yes, Ford has every right to be upset. I mean why was this Daniel Dale guy near his place anyway. He shouldn't have been, but this story is so out of line anyway. The start should post more important stuff.

May 3, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Freddie P.

If anybody thinks that the sole purpose of Dale's visit last night wasn't to provoke the Mayor then your just a fool.
And excuse me Mike, I'm not a Ford apologist. I'm just being rational. As I've said many times before, he may prove to be the worst Mayor of all time, but the harassment is over the top and the support for it is appalling.. including you.
Leave the goddamn guy alone and let him run the city. Let him fail on results, not buckets of chicken or protecting his house and family.
Why couldn't have Dale notified Ford's office that he was coming by last night. Not ask permission, just let them know who the guy taking pictures will be. Given recent history, don't think that would have been the decent thing to do.
I could give two shits about Rob Ford, but I care desperately for a human being who's being put through the grinder by a bunch of poor loser assholes who can't wait for the next election.
I'm also disappointed with you Mike because I thought you had more brains.
Put yourself in that position. After all Ford has been through, a neighbour knocks on his door and says there's someone with a camera behind his home. How would you react?
It doesn't matter if it was 7:30 or a public park or any of those other excuses the Ford bashers want to use, it was wrong and a simple phone call cold have avoided it all.
Good god, does this really have to be explained.

May 3, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

@Freddie P

Ford shouldn't have to be notified someone's visiting the public spots around his house to follow-up on his request to buy the public land.

And again, when Ford found out who it was and why he was there, that should have been the end of it. Instead, Ford threatens the guy, yells like a lunatic and will now boycott City Hall scrums.

What an overreaction, and if this was an isolated incident, we'd all let it pass. But it's not isolated, it's par for the course.

The yelling and pouting in council until he gets his way, the dismissal of the process when he doesn't win the vote, the lies about being at the Leafs game or getting busted for pot position or his DUI, the overreaction when people come near his property, the refusal to participate in any facet of the Pride parade, the laughable reelection campaign he launches with 2.5 years left in his term, his promises to campaign against the Liberal party in K-W, the alienation of his allies on council and resusal to work towards gaining consensus, the whole "gravy" thing that bore no fruit and his general disregard for libraries and bike lanes and other vital elements of a world class city.

He's a horrible mayor and he's had more than enough time to prove otherwise. Like I said, this story annoys me b/c it just pits pro-Ford and anti-Ford people against each other and it's entirely ridiculous.

May 3, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Freddie P.

I think it bothers you because Ford backers actually have a point. And this not a case of pro-Ford against anti-Ford, its about right and wrong Mike, unfortunately, the hate for Ford seems to make otherwise decent people - wrong.
And why haven't you addressed the good things Ford has done so far.. the things I've post twice now.
Is there absolutely no room for accolades?

"You'll never hear how he helped secure millions in savings with collective agreements with CUPE Locals 79 and 416, made EMS and TTC essential services, accelerated the budget process to bring more control to spending, eliminated the Personal Vehicle Tax, froze council salaries and contracted out garbage collection.
His enemies, though. have manufactured shots of him in the nude or pointing a gun to his temple as part of their box of tricks."

May 3, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

@Freddie P

Trust me, I'm not against Ford here because I dislike the guy.

I honestly don't see it.

It seems to me that in this situation it makes sense that the reporter would do what he did. It's fair game, and not stalking in the least. Ford was never in danger and his privacy wasn't threatened. Something smells with the land deal... first he says it's to build a fence, then he's on the radio saying it's to give his kids more room to play. I'm glad a reporter went there to see for himself, because you really can't tell from the map.

It's fair, clean journalism and you're only backing Ford on this because it's the Toronto Star, which you go off on at every opportunity.

May 3, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Corey

Mike, if there are Ford apologists, it stands to reason that there are Ford anti-apologists. You would be one of them. There is absolutely nothing in that story that indicates that Ford is exerting any influence to purchase that land, yet that's your immediate accusation.
I expect the Star to investigate the other private citizens who have made similar requests to purchase City owned property.

May 3, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

@Corey

That's why this incident annoys me so much. We're all Ford apologists or Ford anti-apologists. He's the damn mayor of Toronto, we shouldn't have to assume sides and do our thing.

Ford could drown a kitten tomorrow and I'm not going to write about it. I need a Ford break.

May 3, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

BREAKING...

Rob Ford is planning to drown a kitten tomorrow. A Toronto Mike exclusive...

May 3, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

brad

we need urinal dividers between rob ford and the toronto star

May 3, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Chris Tindal

When Rob Ford was accused of being drunk and belligerent at a Leafs game and asking a stranger if he wanted his wife to “get raped and shot,” he lied and said he wasn’t even at the game. When he was asked by the Toronto Sun if U.S. police had charged him with possession of marijuana, he lied by forcefully and repeatedly denying it. When the CBC’s This Hour Has 22 Minutes made an admittedly-offside attempt to interview him in his driveway, he lied multiple times, saying it was dark out, his daughter was with him, and that the team from the CBC ran at him yelling “we’ve got you Rob Ford, we got you,” none of which is true according to video evidence.

We have not yet seen video evidence of Ford’s encounter with Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale (some security footage is apparently being reviewed UPDATE: Doug Ford says the video will not be released), so for now we’re left only with their two very different versions of events. Ford’s long history of dishonesty, combined with the fact that Dale is an award-winning journalist whose very profession is to document and tell the truth, has lead many to conclude with a reasonable amount of confidence that Dale’s version of events—in which the reporter never left public property nor came close to entering the mayor’s backyard when Ford ran at him, shouting with his fist cocked, and forced him to drop his phone and voice recorder—is the more accurate one. (Add to this that Ford appears to corroborate significant pieces of Dale’s account, but does not provide an explanation for why Dale would yell for help and drop his phone if he didn’t fear for his safety.)

The mayor then waited two hours before contacting a friendly media outlet (I use this phrase confidently, since Newstalk 1010 provides him with a weekly show) to claim that he had caught a Toronto Star reporter trespassing on his property and taking photos of his family. (There is no evidence that’s true, and Ford now admits he never saw Dale come closer than “maybe five meters” from his fence.) That delay, meaning that television cameras didn’t arrive until after dark (no doubt everyone watching the evening news pictured Dale lurking in the backyard after sundown, when in fact he was on public land while it was still light out) is seen by some as a deliberate attempt to distort the truth in a way that undermines the credibility of the Star.

Once Dale’s version of events was published to the Star’s website, even those who believed Dale started to criticize and mock him. Suggesting he had no right to be doing his job (reporting on a story that Ford wants to buy a piece of public land he alternatively says is required either to enhance his home’s security or build a larger play area for his children) on public property in daylight is only upstaged in offensiveness by the pack of people, most of them men and many of them journalists, questioning Dale’s manliness for being frightened when physically threatened and robbed by an agitated man twice his size.

Now, on World Press Freedom day, the mayor is threatening a complete media boycott unless Daniel Dale is fired from his job of reporting on city hall.

There is a temptation to lament that this is what we’re talking about instead of “real issues,” including the “real” story that the mayor is trying to buy a piece of a public park to increase the size of his property. But there’s often more than one issue simultaneously worthy of our attention, and the issue of the mayor’s character is significant and increasingly problematic. How can anyone achieve “journalistic balance” and report on the mayor when a history of blatant and intentional deceit is compounded with threats of physical violence (I am not prepared to define a cocked fist as anything else) towards a reporter?

Years ago, when asked why he didn’t tell the truth about being at the Leafs game, Ford said it was because he was “embarrassed.” He should be deeply embarrassed by last night’s events and his reaction to them as well, but it goes beyond that. We elect leaders to represent the best of us. When Rob Ford charged Daniel Dale, he did so as our mayor. We’re all diminished when this is the kind of leadership we have to look to, and we deserve better.

May 3, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Ben Vidal

Fred: If Rob Ford didn't like the attention of media, he didn't have to run for mayor. You think he would be garnering the attention he does for entering a KFC if he hadn't appeared in front of the media to start his on lose weight challenge.

He hates media attention so much he got his own radio show. That's a guy that shuns the media and spotlight.

This is a guy who at his very core doesn't know what the truth is. I could repeat all the lies above by Chris and it wouldn't matter. Ford is right wing, yes he avoided strikes, but he has lied in the run up to his mayoral election and during his mayoral seat. Now contrast that to McGuinty who is no prize, but you crucify him for being a violent liar. Yet he hasn't had a teachers strike, regardless of what the bargaining agreement.
For you if it's on the left it makes no sense, I don't call that being rational and by definition it isn't rational. What's even worse is that you continue to refer to yourself as being a rational person, funny thing is a rational person doesn't need to tell others, everyone else gets it.

This is a man that clearly has no regard for decency towards other human beings, one more example is him giving the finger to a mother and daughter who tried to chastise him for talking on the phone while driving.

What's rounds out this farce is the fact that he came out to bully Daniel Dale wearing an election t-shirt.

I understand your frustration Mike and I think it's at a point where the star and Rob will go tit for tat no matter what now. People can only wait for the next election to have him gone. The good thing is in 2.5 years he will have alienated everyone except for Freddie P. Who can't even vote for him.

May 3, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Justin

Freddie, you're absolutely right. If a newspaper wanted to take photos for a story wouldn't you think they'd, you know, take a REAL camera? Dale had a cell phone camera. Not only that, but the cell phone died before Ford actually got there. As if it wasn't weird enough to take just a cell phone camera, he didn't even check to make sure it wasn't going to run out of battery. Give me a break guys! The guy was spying on Ford plain and simple! Some "journalist."

May 3, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Gump

Bottom line, Ford lies.
This isn't 4th grade, this is a goddam huge city that needs to be run by professionals.
I'm embarrassed that he is our mayor.

May 3, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Ben Vidal

Justin journalist and photographer are two different things. Don't know if you knew that. The same "Some journalist" has also won awards.

May 3, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Lyle

Chris Tindal said it perfectly. Just perfectly.

Rob Ford lies and lies and lies. Toronto's mayor shouldn't be a liar - we deserve so much better.

Fred Patterson calls McGuinty a liar constantly when Rob Ford lies like a rug. Hey Fred, would you let Rob Ford date your daughter? Of course not, he's a chronic liar and tempermental bully!

I'm one Torontonian who's sick of the Rob Ford lies. There's no integrity. It's disgusting.

May 3, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Freddie P.

People. This is not a question of lies, intent for the property or how fat a guy is. It's all about harassment and the intent of the reporter's visit last night, it was to provoke.
Yes, I call McGuinty a liar, but I wouldn't dream of going to his house, or insulting his physical stature or chasing him to his cottage or stalking him at KFC and I wouldn't support anyone who would do such things.
It's way out of bounds because it's not decent, like so many of the things Ford has to deal with.
Why do so many of you insist on avoiding the issue at hand? In other words, the book you wrote wasn't necessary Mr. Tindel, because it's not the point.
As for the Star, I wrote these thoughts at humbleandfredradio.com http://www.humbleandfredradio.com/opinion/2012/05/the-death-of-a-newspaper.html

May 3, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Corey

@ Ben Vidal. :
"You think he would be garnering the attention he does for entering a KFC if he hadn't appeared in front of the media to start his on lose weight challenge."
I can guarantee that if David Miller had started a "Cut the Waist" program when he was trying to lose weight a) he would be lauded for his efforts to encourage others to get healthy instead of being mocked for it, and b) the Star would never have published a video of him in a compromising position. In fact no one would have taken a video or jeered at him in the first place.
Bottom line is you see this amount of vitriol towards Ford, and for Harper and any right-leaning public figure once they win an election because leftists absolutely cannot accept it when they aren't in control.

May 3, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Anonymous

Corey: I'm with Ben. Ford made his weight a public ordeal with this Cut the Waist challenge. He opened the door.

Another stupid move.

Act like a fucking mayor, Rob. Don't freak out when you see a reporter.

May 3, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

BT

Oh for Christ's sake people, engage your frontal lobes, fire up those neurons if you can, and use your human reason. Dale is a thirty-something, clean-cut, well dressed and iPhone touting newspaper reporter. At one point, should a person not be able to rationally assess that this situation poses no physical threat to you or your family?

Dale had no balaclava, or weapons sticking out of his waistband. No reasonable person would react to this in the way Rob Ford, or Freddie P, seem to think is required.

This is childish and immature aggression that involves no sound reasoning whatsoever. It's like you want to feel threatened, because outside of desire, there is no appropriate logic for you feeling that way.

May 3, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Corey

@ Anon - "Ford made his weight a public ordeal with this Cut the Waist challenge." Gee. Thanks Captain Obvious. Insightful comment. I don't think anyone was disputing that.

May 3, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Rick C in Oakville

When did the Star change it's name to the National Enquirer? Their tactics have stooped to this level. I suspect if we knew half the threats that Ford receives anonymously, we might feel a bit threatened by someone stalking around our house before dark. Given the whack jobs that are out there who knows what someone has in mind.
Sue Ann Levy and the Sun may have disliked David Miller, but they never invaded his personal space at home, which has happened twice that I know of with the left leaning media (CBC and Star).
The Star may claim he has a right to be there to investigate a story, but in your gut you know what the real purpose of this was for.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Councillor Shelley Carroll

For the mayor to ask for a variance to buy parkland is really just inviting interest — from media, citizens, environmentalists, all of us. The mayor is asking for parkland to make his backyard bigger? We rarely, rarely, rarely sell parkland. Daniel’s only crime is he got there first. If the story was made public earlier, the space behind the mayor’s house would have filled up with reporters and Live Eyes. Who is advising this man?

May 3, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

David

The editorial cartoon that Anonymous posted higher up on this page sickens me. Not only that, but the Star has been parading it around like a trophy on their website and through their employees' twitter accounts. It's not funny, it's not humorous, and it doesn't even take an editorial stand. It's a disgusting and tasteless attack on the Mayor.

I will no longer be reading the Toronto Star as I have cancelled my Saturday subscription and removed their website from my favourites.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Ben Vidal

Corey: Nice try but not even close. Miller wasn't the greatest mayor ever and his touting to unions caused a number of problems. That said he lost his wait on his own, didn't make a public spectacle of it. Nor did he promise to weigh in every week and actually put weight back on or not show up altogether. Ford made his own media circus, which started long before becoming mayor. As for David miller I don't remember him asking if a woman wanted to go to Iran and get raped.

Lets also get to the other point altogether. A large part of the world now has a smart phone or a phone capable of taking pictures and/or video. This is part of life, especially in the public eye. Ford isn't the only person to have people snap a shot of him and post it to twitter Facebook or forward it to a media outlet. With each passing day this kind of thing is happening more and more. Ford like anyone in the public eye must accept it. This isn't about who's in control politically. That's what Freddie P makes this about and then enables this to become a polarizing situation. Right or left. I wouldn't like Ford regardless of his policies. Fred talks about decency, but Ford is not a decent human being. His past and present have already shown that and his future will lay that all bare.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

David (the blind guy out west)

I have no issue with David's comments above, but just wanted to point out there now seems to be two of us. :)

I haven't lived in TO since 1999, and have no stance on the Ford issue as it simply doesn't affect me. With that said, however, the truth in many disputes lies somewhere in the middle, so I doubt we'll ever have a proper resolve to this little dust-up.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

@David (the blind guy out west)

I like your new handle.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Blind Dave

Thanks, Mike. Could go with this one too. It's shorter and easier to type.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

@Blind Dave

Perfect.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Blind Dave

Only reason I pointed it out is that the other David and I seem to have a similar writing style, so I wanted to make it clear there are two of us with the same handle. Again, I have no issue with his opinions, it's just a clarification.

May 3, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

CQ

@ Councillor Shelly Carroll (May 3rd 22:05)
That probably really is you commenting. Mike runs a well regarded site, so welcome.
That said... IMO, you betrayed this city. Not because of your record. Because you didn't run mayor in 2010! And neither did Minnan-Wong.

As I even opinioned at a Star blog, months before the election - you would have won in a landslide.
Both you and also Minnan-Wong had gained actual local governing experience. Instead this city got Ford, an already discounted Smitherman, a backroom Liberal talking about an underground Spadina highway (where he, a big visionary here, went to elite school), an ethnic community-only big spending has-been, and a few newbies. Oh, and the great non-call from John Tory - who's still never run anything but a no-competition era cable company (and the CFL when all it had to do was call itself 'Canadian' after its U.S. experiment.
Some choice! Mayor Ford at the very least, had shown up for Toronto.

May 4, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Justin

CQ:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why you'd want Shelly Carroll to run for mayor. Under her watch as budget chief spending went out of control and the deficit she left was gargantuan. City spending increased from 6 billion to 9 billion in 4 short years of her tenure. The vehicle registration tax was introduced, the land transfer tax was introduced, property taxes were increased every year. TTC fares went up, user fees went up, and everyone started paying way more for everything. She even wanted to implement a sales tax. As budget chief she also used short-term fixes to cover her own huge deficit instead of sustainable long-term solutions. She is incompetent, EXTREMELY irresponsible with our money, and I'd fear greatly for this wonderful city if she ever became mayor.

May 4, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

CQ

@ Justin 16:04
I don't. But I recognize that she probably could have won very easily, with Miller stepping aside. So now she is just a protestor, in council and online? Given the political climate this city would be 'progressing' in some kind of a direction.

May 4, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Royson James

I believe Daniel Dale.

That doesn’t mean the mayor is lying again. Or that he is intentionally misleading the public when he says my colleague stood on cinder blocks and peered into his backyard. Sometimes, things are more complicated than they seem. Two people looking at the same body of evidence can reach divergent conclusions.

I believe Daniel Dale because he sits two desks over from me and has done so for more than a year. You get to know people somewhat by observing them at close quarters day in, day out.

And, from observation, Daniel Dale has no guile. If he did he would not have told us he ran, scared, from the mayor.

He’s an honest, hard-working, excellent reporter — and the awards he’s received proves this.

Dale was being a good reporter when he attempted to see for himself exactly what Mayor Rob Ford has in mind by seeking to buy a piece of public land to, the mayor claims, augment the security and privacy around his home of many years.

Ford’s neighbour saw Dale taking pictures around the back of Ford’s house and called the mayor. So far, so good.

Apparently, the neighbour said he saw Dale up on cinder blocks peeping into the mayor’s yard. The mayor didn’t see that. But he came charging towards Dale, fist cocked, screaming, intent, he admits, on hitting the reporter who he outweighs two to one. So far, so good.

Dale says he did not step on cinder blocks, did not even see the blocks and did not peer into the mayor’s backyard. And he was always on public property.

So he is not a peeping Tom, as the mayor claims. Not that there is anything wrong with a reporter being a peeping Tom. It goes with the job. We are proud of such name-calling. We have no shame. It’s what we do.

If a public official won’t talk to us at the office, we try for a comment at his home. Make yourself available, like any other public official, and there is no need to follow you home. Hide and dodge and refuse to disclose your schedule — or communicate only to your favourite reporters or news outlets — and the ink-stained wretches will trundle over to your favourite watering hole to see if you are more inclined to talk there.

If the mayor says he can’t attend the Pride Parade because he can’t possibly miss family time at the cottage, we go up to the cottage to see if he is, in fact, there.

Call that snooping, if you want. We won’t lose any sleep over the characterization. It’s our job. When we show up at the cottage, you can choose to speak or not. Or call us snoops.

Jittery about intruders? Don’t give out your home number, your home address, or invite hordes over to your place for a big annual ribfest and then complain about the privacy of your home and family.

If you don’t want jokes about your weight, don’t make it the subject of a weekly weigh-in, don’t start a public campaign to ha-ha “cut the waist” and then hit the fast-food joints and miss several of the weigh-ins. If you do, expect that more than a few commentators will weigh in on the subject.

If you don’t want reporters coming over to your place to check on your property, don’t apply to buy taxpayers’ land next to your place. We don’t sell such land every day. The request is bound to attract attention — and snoopy reporters looking to see if the request is reasonable or just another attempt by a public official to get a benefit otherwise not available to the general public.

If you are going to run for public office, expect that your opponents will take a shot at you; that they will dig up dirt on you and give it to reporters; that journalists will investigate the charges; that sometimes it is near impossible to tell who is telling the “truth.”

Understand that journalists are not mandated to declare the truth. We compile information and present it. We are like court reporters. We record who said what. We distribute it into the court of public opinion for the reader-juror to declare guilt or innocence.

Yes, columnists and pundits act as judge and jury. That’s part of the mix. But the public is always the Supreme Court.

When the Star runs a story saying some people accuse Rob Ford of getting physical with a football player — and the newspaper report clearly says other people dispute the charge — the Star has done its duty.

That particular story is supposed to be the source of Rob Ford’s anger towards the Star. But, like a good watchdog, the Star barked. It alerted readers to a potential problem and it warned that there are conflicting accounts.

A watchdog doesn’t determine whether a visitor is friend or foe. It barks. If the assumed intruder happens to be a friend of the master, the watchdog lies down and waits for the next sign of another intruder.

Mayor Ford insists he won’t talk to journalists in the presence of Star reporters. This I do know. I will be at the mayor’s weigh-in Monday morning. And I hope Daniel is there, too.

And if reporters in the city hall press gallery — including those who have been crapping on the Star for doing what they themselves have done, and will do — want to slip into the mayor’s office to do their exclusive interviews away from the prying eyes of the Star, knock yourselves out.

The day the Star removes a Daniel Dale from city hall coverage to appease a mayor, is the day I’ll request they move me as well.

Until then, if the mayor cocks his fist at this journalist, he’d better be prepared to use it.

May 4, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Anonymous

Yes, pretty much nailed it (opening post). Bizarre how a city that has for years held itself up as hip, cosmopolitan and sophisticated elected this ignorant, destructive buffoon.

And that many people still think the hog is still A-OK.

Bizarre but entertaining.

May 5, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Grumpy Penguin

I simply cannot believe this many people absolutely refuse to see the big picture. Ford mugged a citizen of Toronto on public property in broad daylight, a man who was not a stranger to him and was never once on his property. Dale had every right to do what he was doing, when he was doing it and where he was when he did it. Period. I don't give a rat's ass that the mayor feels like the Star is "picking on him"; did we hear Miller whine about the disgraceful Sue-Ann Levy every single day of the goddam year? No, we did not. Ford needs to suck it up and ACTUALLY DO HIS BLOODY JOB. Nobody "cocked a fist in his face" and forced him to be mayor. And I can assure you that if he was doing ANY kind of a job at City Hall that would be what makes the news. Unfortunately he's a train wreck both in public and private life.

The best thing I have seen written about this whole thing was the piece by Royson James, reprinted above in this thread. Far too many people just aren't getting the point.

But then far too many people voted for Ford in the first place. I just thought some of them would have actually realized their mistake by now. The more comments I read on this story, the more I despair for the future of Toronto. I await the next public display of buffoonery with clenched teeth.

May 6, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Freddie P.

@Grumpy Penguin - you aren't getting the point and you just proved it. This has become a game with the Star and it all could have been avoided with a heads up courtesy call before Dale went to the scene with his blackberry camera.
You despair for Toronto? The only despair should come from those with rational thinking and consider people like you actually find a way to justify what happened the other night.

May 6, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Ben Vidal

Fred. No one has to call anyone to be on public property. If this were another case and there was a murderer that had lived at a house or a grow op, or a famous star, or any number of things this is what reporters do investigate. You ask any number or reporters or journalists this. It isn't a requirement nor is it a courtesy to call ahead. It's very easy for Ford to say after the fact if they had of called I would have been alright with it. That's the biggest line ever especially from a known liar. He could have called or not called it doesn't make a difference. If Ford had issue fine go out there and talk to the guy. Ford knew what Dale looked like too, which is even more laughable; this wasn't some stranger there. He could have come out asking what he's doing not fists half cocked and menacing and trying to bully the guy into a corner. The only fault I place on Dale is he was he backed down to easily.

If the guy had of been in his backyard, you wouldn't find a single person defending the actions of a reporter. One last time so you Fred can get it in your head lets say it all together now. HE WAS ON PUBLIC PROPERTY!

Second to this, stop calling yourself rational. It's tiring and makes you look foolish the more you use it.

May 6, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

Justin

Give me a break Vidal. He was on public property but that doesn't matter. He was still lurking around Ford's backyard and peering over his fence. For a journalistic institution that's crossing the line. The man deserves his privacy in his own home. "Public property blah blah blah." What a bullshiit argument.

May 6, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

In no way does this journalist need to call Ford... and nor should he. He's doing what good journalists do, checking out a story.

We should want journalists to keep our politicians in check. Ford's trying to buy public land... let's see the land... let's see if he really needs a security fence.

I don't believe he peered over the fence to spy on Rob Ford. I believe he was doing his job, and I'm more than okay with that. I encourage it, and so should you.

May 6, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Jeff

Interesting story that's blown way out proportion on both sides. It's weird that it's turned into a left vs right thing as well, when it's clearly a privacy issue

That said, I am a blogger too. Not many followers as you have, but I still write and I did go to j-school.

I don't live in Toronto and like the others who don't have a stake in this conversation as to whether or not he's a good mayor or not, so I won't try to bring that up.

What I know, is that it was a lack of privacy that started this whole thing off and the questions of it being dark, it being on public property, Dale's friend from the Star writing a column, etc, are just paper-think excuses to detract from the issue: The mayor deserves respect outside the hours of his job.

I don't think Dale should have needed to call ahead, either. But maybe he could have went while the mayor was at work, or maybe he should have stayed on the street or beside the house in the park. What he chose to, if I'm correct, is LURK, making a phone-call(on a dead cell phone), and then run away instead of waiting for the cops and explaining his side of the story.

Let's say the mayor actually did hit him. What did Dale have to fear for if he was there to not cause a problem? Would everyone against the mayor not be more pleased if he actually hit Dale/was arrested/got sent to jail/removed from his post?

I learned years ago in school that you follow your lead, you go with the story, you don't run away from it, because it looks like you have something to hide.

You report the truth, you seek the truth, but you don't make up a story to embellish the truth. Daniel Dale is a reporter, nothing more. He hasn't earned his stripes as a columnist, and he will certainly not be taken seriously by those who read him if he does.

If it's so obvious to one side, then why is there so much grey left? If it's so black and white, why is there so many ethical questions being raised?

PS The Princess Diana comment went over all your heads. If you look at the obsession and following of Ford by the media, you will see similarities in that it's one public figure who's lost all forms of privacy because of their job.

That isn't fair. He's not mayor before he's a citizen. He pays taxes just like everyone else. Being mayor is his job, and yeah, losing privacy comes with it, but where do we draw the line? It seems it's going to take someone literally being killed for it to be drawn.

May 6, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

@Jeff

Rob Ford isn't followed any more than any other mayor of a city the size of Toronto. Remember, Rob Ford's fence and the public property by his home only became an issue when he applied to buy it, something that's extremely rare. So Rob Ford himself made that a story on his own - and that story broke earlier that day.

As for the KFC video, that wasn't a Star reporter who took the video. I disagree with the Star's decision to post it, but they did that because Rob Ford made his weight loss a public endeavour. Again, it was Rob Ford's own doing.

The common theme here is that Rob Ford continually makes these typically private matter public. Otherwise, no reporter would be checking out the public land by house house and his fence, and no newspaper would be interested in the fact he visited KFC.

And I assure you, when it comes to security and his need for privacy, he's again his own worst enemy. He hosts a BBQ in his backyard every summer and opens it to the public, publishing his home address, and he hands out this information to everyone he meets. And, of course, he refuses a security detail.

He's not pursued in anything close to Princess D-like fashion. That's why we gave CQ a hard time.

May 6, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Justin: Bravo for saying absolutely nothing. How do you know he was peering over his fence? Is it that Ford said so? I forgot how truthful Ford really is.

Define skulking? During a time of day when it's still light out?? Is that skulking? When he was completely visible by anyone, that sure as hell sounds like skulking.

Ford has made his life a circus. I feel like it's the boy who cried wolf. He and his family members have called 911 more times than people can keep track of. We could re-visit the this hour has 22 minutes situation that happened last year. Another situation in which Mr Ford a) over reacted to a joke b) lied about what happened c) complained like a little baby while calling 911. God forbid if something does really happen and the police don't show because they figure it's just another ford fiasco. I'm not being sarcastic either, while my disdain for this man is considerable I don't wish harm on him.

@ Jeff: If ford merely kept to his Toronto backyard it would be bad enough. This is the same guy that said he is going to release "Ford Nation" on the kitchener/waterloo area for the bi-election. Who the eff is he to even get involved in another city altogether?

You can't complain about privacy when you continually make your life a public display. I'm not Harper fan, but at least that guy keeps his personal life clean, or at the very least out of the media all the time. He separates work and life and love that or hate that part of him I respect it. I'd go so far as to say the bulk of politicians do a good job of keeping their personal life separate. Ford invites us all in and when he makes a mistake and the spot light is put on it he blames us all for invading his personal space. Give me a break. What a small narcissistic man we have governing Toronto.
Running around in his campaign shirt is probably the funniest part of this, then there is the sad part. His family. I don't think they had any choice in this farce he has created. I truly feel sorry for what they have to go through as a result of him.

May 6, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Jeff

I agree, the guy is his own worst enemy and attracts a lot of attention to himself, but what was he doing that particular night? If Dale had come and gone and Ford didn't know, it would literally be a non-story. But Dale made himself available to look like a lurker and that's where this non-story became a story.

Again, I'm looking at this from an outsider. I'm speaking from a journalism ethics stand-point, not from a Torontoian or anti-Ford/Pro-Ford angel.

Btw, good blog, I just found this today when googling the story. You seem to have a good discussion here, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

May 6, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

@Jeff
Thanks for the kind words. Your comments are welcome here, even when I respectfully disagree with them, as I do in this case.

I don't think Dale made himself look like a lurker. I think Ford's neighbour stirred the shit and pressed Rob's rage button. Rob than did what he often does, and started raging. That made this a story.

May 6, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Freddie P.

@Rob- "I think at this point if the mayor opened his home up and offered Dale a bowl of soup before he went back to work, people would be complaining about the kind of soups the mayor had."
Perfect.. well said.
@ Mike - You just don't get it do you?
You have yet to address this point - a simple heads up phone call to the Mayors office could have avoided all of this. The Mayor has been followed, spied on and received death threats - and you think he over-reacted to someone lurking in his backyard with a camera. I'm not surprised that his "rage" ecselerated when he found it was the Star. Enough is enough.
Shed some of the hate buddy and use your head.

May 7, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

Mississuaga Phil

@ Fred - if Rob Ford came out and said the sky was no longer blue, you jump to his defens to say "it's kinda grey today"

Rob Ford has all the traits of a schoolyard bully - if he likes you then you're fine, but if he doesn't, watch out. Not only will he pick on you every chance he gets, but he'll also tell everone else to pick on you, lest they get his ire.

HE IS A GROWN ASSED MAN ACTING LIKE A TYPICAL HIGH SCHOOL JOCK!!!

Please Fred...tell me how I'm wrong...

May 7, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Ben Vidal

Fred: Use your head he wasn't in the mayors backyard. This could have all been avoided if the mayor wasn't a short tempered buffoon. His rage is always there it's just unfortunate no one knows when he's going to lose it.

Also to update that Ford is once again a repeated liar. His whole plan to buy that land has not been for security, he has already stated he wants to tear down his bungalow to make a mansion like all the other houses on the street. I wonder if Ford remembers which side of his mouth he talking from each and every day.

@Rob: Unforunately you are right. There are those that would complain about the soup Daniel Dale received if Ford had given him some. At the same time neither myself and I'm pretty sure nor Toronto Mike would be lamenting that fact if he had. Unforunately there are Ford haters that would hate every action regardless of whether it was benevolent or malevolent. Just like there are those Ford lovers like ol' Freddie P who would defend Ford no matter what he does. You have to get rid of the irrational people like Fred and others to turn to the people who have a moticum of understanding to look at each situation involving the mayor and judge each on a case by case basis.

May 7, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Freddie P.

@ Miss and Ben - you are right, the Mayor's behaviour has been questionable, but at the same time understandable given the death threats and harassment.
But really Ben, I'm irrational? And you can't for a second understand the stress Ford might be under? Hate makes people do funny things, and you're hilarious.

May 7, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Fred - I will absolutly agree that if he's getting death threats that it puts a different spin on this story.

However, death threats aside, you surely must agree that a lot of the negative attention Rob Ford gets, he brings on himself.

And the man is a bully, there is no arguing that.

May 7, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

David Rider

Mayor Rob Ford talked on tape less than two years ago of plans to tear down his house and build a “nice” new one, contrary to his agent’s suggestion Friday to an agency considering Ford’s bid to buy parkland next door.

Ford was represented at the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority hearing by Ross Vaughan, who said he is a longtime family friend and the real estate agent for the purchase of their Etobicoke home.

Vaughan said Ford is making the unprecedented bid to buy a 2,600-square-foot grassy parkette, with three trees and a hedge, out of security concerns “for their children, primarily” that arose after he became mayor in fall 2010. Ford plans to erect a new security fence with a “buffer” to his home, he said.

Asked by Toronto Councillor Maria Augimeri if Ford has any plans to tear down and expand his home, Vaughan told the TRCA executive that, based on property values in the upscale area, it would be “very unwise,” to tear down the solidly built bungalow.

“The house is really perfect from a construction point of view ... Whether or not future plans might include expansion of the property I couldn’t answer that question,” Vaughan said. “I can’t see any reasonable person wanting to tear down the building.”

Later, to reporters, Vaughan said: “It’s not the kind of house you would tear down by any stretch of the imagination whatsoever.”

But in a July 15, 2010 interview, Ford twice said he plans to do exactly that.

“Eventually I’m going to tear down my house there and build a new house,” Ford said, adding he got a great deal eight years earlier, spending $499,000 on the ravine-backed “little white bungalow” surrounded by “mansions” worth between $1 million and $2 million.

Later in the taped interview for a story about mayoral candidates’ home lives that appeared in the Star, Ford said he didn’t bring visitors to the toy-strewn home he shares with his wife and two young children.

“It has to basically be redone and we’re not going to redo it. I’m not going to put any money into it,” he said. “When the kids are a little older, probably in two or three years, when they’re maybe 6 or 7, and they’re all in school full time, I’m going to tear down the whole house and build a nice house.”

The conservation authority, after questioning Vaughan, voted 11-1 to let Ford’s application proceed, with staff for the TRCA and City of Toronto, which maintains the parkette, to write reports and make recommendations.

If the TRCA executive rejects Ford’s purchase bid, the application dies. If it endorses it, public hearings will be held and the application will go to the full TRCA board for a final vote.

Two days before the TRCA meeting, an angry Ford with his fist raised confronted a Toronto Star reporter who was on public property behind Ford’s back fence trying to identify the land he wants to buy. Ford accused the Star of spying on him; the paper has called that nonsense.

Ford's press secretary did not respond to a request for comment.

On his Newstalk 1010 radio show Sunday, Ford pushed his weekly weigh-in back to Tuesday at 9 a.m., instead of holding it Monday.

May 7, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

CQ

@ Mississauga Phil 15:07
I just don't get this whole "the man is a bully" meme as spouted by the left.
Am I only one living here in Toronto who knows what a real bully is? Sorry but, 'Daddy didn't use his Mommy voice, therefore I am a victim' is NOT a form of bullying.
Ford's (as usually filmed) facial expressions, and his voice all scream out wimpy fatboy to me.
Meanwhile we have Leftists TELLING everyone how they will spend further (for dubious value frills) into Debt, till we bleed, or else.

Look at Mississauga (and its Transit): all those buses routing into Islington Station. Public washrooms closed since 1979 - no money. Depot platforms not used for arrivals, all passengers put out at a canopy-less sidewalk entrance. A bitty-sized bus stop tacked along Bloor St. The main Square One terminal is another mostly roof-less joke, tacked on at the backside of the Centre, just further away from City Hall, the Library, and the Business and Condo towers.
In Toronto, some of us just want to see the overpaid TTC workers awake and not using their cellphones. And maybe fewer Library branches than Tim Horton donut shops; about 8 nearby High Park. That's not bullying.

May 7, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

@CQ

Although I'm not the commenter calling him a bully, I'd argue this video is textbook bullying:

May 7, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Jeff

Glad my soup comment sparked some feedback.

We'll just have to wait for the next incident to happen and comment.

For the record, I'm a long-standing NDP member, so for me I'm not speaking on a right-wing angel.

Keep up the good work Mike!

May 8, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ CQ - I'm not calling him a bully because he plays hardball with the unions and other such entities. I'm calling him a bully because he attacks anyone who disagrees with him, and tries to force other to attack them as well. I am no fan of the star, but to say he will not take any questions from anyone in the the media if the above mentioned reporter is in the scrum is being a bully. He is calling to have a man fired because Rob Ford doesn't like him...explain to me how that is not being a bully...and abusing his position as mayor

May 8, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Mississauga Phil

And I'd take Hurricane Hazel over Rob Ford anyday. If it wasn't for her, Mississauga would be part of the Mega City and I'd have to deal with Rob Fords crap like the rest of you

May 8, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Ben Vidal

@ CQ: I don't think this should be a left vs. right thing. I certainly don't look at it as one. I mean Fred does, because anyone on the right can't do anything wrong, but I think it's a case of Ford just isn't a good human being, he's a known liar, a guy who can't control his anger or the words that come out of his mouth. If the reverse was true and he was an accomplished person who spoke well and acted professionally regardless of his politics you might be able to at least respect him as a human being.

As for your bully comment. It's funny because most bully's don't stand behind their actions and whine and bemoan their luck. Like most bullies they lie and can't remember the actual events of a situation when asked to relay a story more than once.

May 8, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

@Jeff

I also noticed on the podcast Freddie P attributed your soup comment to something he read on Facebook.

May 8, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Freddie P.

Sorry Mike - there was a lot of action with this issue on my facebook wall as well and that's where the reference came from.

May 8, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

@Freddie P

That was more to let Jeff know how his comment resonated with people. :)

May 8, 2012 @ 10:59 AM