Star Wars Day Open Mike

starwarsMay the Fourth be with you. On this fine Star Wars Day, let's have some good, clean fun with an Open Mike.

starwarsday

Discuss anything you want. And if you have a question, I'll drop by throughout the day to answer questions.

Not Dean

Has Humble and Fred Radio made you all rich yet?

May 4, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

Blind Dave

Passing thoughts...

- Been listening to Hurricane Bells, Longwave, and the Beat Farmers on my mp3 player on my walk to/from work this week.

- Not cheering for anyone in the playoffs. Wednesday's game between Wash-NYR was the first action I've seen this year. I caught the 3rd period and first overtime. Very good action, but I just don't care.

- Our early burst of summer has long gone. It's been rainy and chilly all week.

I've been playing with my android phone again (ok, not again, it's more or less constant). I've tried a few Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs but keep going back to Gingerbread. More for visual reasons than anything else, though I do like the speed of ICS. I'm also very fond of Go Launcher.

- Maybe Meredith Valiando needs an android phone. Her 1,000 messages a day (!) will be a challenge when Blackberry finally bites the dust.

- I can't even remember our Mayor's name, but I know who You-Know-Who is! Man, what does THAT say?

May 4, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

@Not Dean

At this point, Humble and Fred are making a little money. They have some paying sponsors and they're now paying themselves. Not bad after six months.

As far as I know, nobody else has seen a penny, but if they cut Kelly Cutrara or Scary Pete a cheque, they probably wouldn't tell me.

I certainly never saw a penny, but I knew that going in. I never did any of it to get rich. I just wanted Humble and Fred back together making great content for folks like me.

May 4, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

speysidephil

Mike put away your anti-Ford bias for a minute and tell me, if you had received death threats over the last couple of years and a neighbour called you to say there is some guy lurking around your property, would you not get just a little upset about that??
Just a little????

May 4, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

@speysidephil

I can't go there in this thread. I'm still tired from yesterday.

I'm certain I answered that question here: http://www.torontomike.com/2012/05/why_rob_ford_vs_daniel_dale_an.html

Rob Ford needs anger management help very, very badly. One day he's going to go too far and end up in jail.

Next time, I hope he stays put in the house and calls the cops.

May 4, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

@Blind Dave

What's it like being blind? You're walking to/from work, mucking around with your Android... what are your biggest limitations because of your vision?

May 4, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

CQ

1st comment:
"It can't be May! It's August the Sith."
- slightly paraphrased from an original Twilight Zone episode, A Quality of Mercy. Dean Stockwell and Leonard Nimoy... It has (IMO) an interesting Wikipage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Quality_of_Mercy

May 4, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

CQ

2nd comment (especially for TorontoMike's radio readers):
A full 67(!) hour All-CanCon Canada Day, Fri, June 29th at 5p.m. thru Mon, July 2nd at 12 p.m. Yay or Nay?

May 4, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

@CQ

How much April Wine can we stomach?

May 4, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

brad

i could go for some april wine right now

May 4, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

CQ

Aw, he*k! You know the playlist rules. One song(!) per artist/ band, lol. But really, it wouldn't be difficult at all; for nearly any genre.

May 4, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Swear Police

CQ almost said heck!

May 4, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

dale

I just peeled & revealed I won a Toshiba Tablet (1 of 5) from Pizza Nova & last night I won the hockey pool at work ($60.00).

I'm going to buy a LOTTO MAX ticket on the way home.

Also wifey's Birthday today.

May 4, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Ryan G

I just took a great bike ride down along the lower Don River trail to appreciate some inner city nature on a gorgeous May day.

It was beautiful and green and a great escape in the middle of our bustling metropolis.

I stopped at a quiet little inlet to take a photo on my iphone. I sat on a log, and listened to a variety of colourful birds singing, as I enjoyed the serenity of a babbling brook

As I stood up to leave, I slipped on some mud, fell straight back and sheared the entire underside of my right arm along a tree, scraping it quite severely, drawing blood. Meanwhile as I fell, my left arm (with iphone in hand) instinctively went straight down to brace for the fall, slamming directly into a couple of inches of mud, completely clogging up the power socket on the bottom of the phone.

Nature fucking sucks.

May 4, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Blind Dave

@Ryan G

Hmm, is that Mother Nature or God taking the piss? Regardless, I hope you and your iphone are healthy and in one piece.

@Toronto Mike

Actually, I'm legally blind. I have just under 10% vision in my left eye, and bugger all with a cataract in my right eye. It's called retinoschisis and I was born with it, so have never known any difference and just learned to do most things more or less the normal way. The wiki article is accurate to my knowledge. Check the section titled Hereditary Retinoschisis".

I have enough vision to not need a cane, though that may change later in life through normal deterioration, as I have precious little to play with. It's very hard to describe what's it like as I've never known any other world, and since I have "just" enough vision to get by, I learned to tie my shoes, ride a bike, cook, and cross the street the same way you did.

My glasses have 4x bifocals, so I can read normal print in good light, though I occasionally need to put nose prints on the paper!

Cell phones would understandably be a bit more of a challenge, and I do need to call on my magnifier frequently, but I've been working with computers since 1986 so the comfort zone just sort of came naturally. I worked in IT until 2005, and for the last few years have represented both Rogers and Bell on the cellular side. So again, I just sort of instinctively know what to do.

I've always been a huge bookworm, and while I love the old-fashioned paper (and the smell!), I must admit that e-readers and PCs have helped me tremendously with brighter backgrounds and large fonts. Oh well, function over form, I suppose.

I also notice from the tone of her posts that Cheryl does pretty darn well for herself too.

And for those of you actually still reading this (yawn), I take my mp3 player headphones off my ears when I cross the street! :)

May 4, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

@Blind Dave

I read the whole thing. Very interesting...

A cane might look kind of cool...

May 4, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Ryan G

@Toronto Mike re Blind Dave

Agreed.

There's a dude who walks around eaton centre and y/dundas who dresses like a pimp. You cant miss him. I believe he uses a pimp cane too. So we should separate said pimp from said pimp cane and give it to Blind Dave. You'd look bad ass.

Maybe a monacle too. But where to find a monacle in twenty twelve..

@Blind Dave

thanx. As revenge on nature I captured a squirrel which I am currently waterboarding in my garage

May 4, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Blind Dave

@Ryan G

I never thought of a pimp cane!!! That would be awesome. :)

Your squirrel delicacy reminded me of something. There was an ad on tv, maybe back in the 90s, with the theme "No More Mr. Nice Guy", featuring a squirrel or chipmunk. Anybody remember the product?

May 4, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Cheryl

How could anyone not care about the playoffs. The Coyotes game starts real soon. They lost the last one, but they will win the cup guaranteed. Well, I don't even have 10% vision. I just have a bit of light perception. Actually my blindness is caused by my brain not getting the message to my eyes. It's a brain problem or so they say anyway. As for books, I can read braille, but prefer listening to other people read such as audio books.

May 4, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Thanks to Blind Dave and Cheryl, you both have enlightened me on the aspects of visual impairment and the can do attitude you both have, you both are far more technologically adept than this fairly normal seeing (okay I need 2 pairs of glasses to function half assedly) induvidual.

Do you find the newer technology (cell phones, tablets etc.) is adapted to help you or does it hinder you?

Just curious.

May 4, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Blind Dave

@Cheryl

1-0, and they hung on! Bet you enjoyed that one!

@Rick C. in Oakville

Great question, and the answer is both. Laptops under 17" and all netbooks are pretty much useless to me. A tablet is much easier because I can hold it close without it being cumbersome. I absolutely LOVE the Asus Eee Transformer tablets!

Cell phones are hit and miss, and it reallly depends on the design and adaptability. I settled on an HTC Incredible S (4" screen) last year and I made a good choice. Now with that in mind, the stock font is waaaaay too small for me, but because I'm a geek I learned to root and change the phone around to my liking and needs.

I really feel for folks who are impaired in some way and not tech savvy, or people in general who just cringe at technology. The drawback there is that very little is easily operable anymore. It used to be that a phone was a phone, a stereo was a stereo, a camera was a camera, and a door was a door (no wait, the door is ajar, no the door is not ajar, the door is a door -- where the HELL is that from???). Nowadays, the latest and greatest from your local electronics store does pretty much everything all-in-one.

One of my standing jokes with such people who are interested in a cell phone is to say, "Oh yeah, and you can even make phone calls with this!".

Hope this helps. And hey, don't feel bad about dealing with this stuff. My wife is 46, intelligent and in good health, and she HATES technology!

May 4, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

Freddie P.

@ not Dean - nope not rich yet, but I love the fact you ask because I'm sure if it succeeds it will drive you nuts.

May 6, 2012 @ 12:36 PM