My Phone Notification Settings - What Are Yours?

phonePeople definitely have personal preferences when it comes to mobile phone notification settings. We'll start with my preferences, then we'll get to you.

These settings are currently applied to my Samsung GALAXY S II, but it was pretty much the same when I had a BlackBerry. I'm going to ignore settings for Twitter, Facebook and other apps and stick with the big 3.

Phone Calls: Frequent callers have a custom ringtone. Non-frequent callers get the default ringtone (currently grabbed from a Beastie Boys tune), and everybody vibrates.

Text Messages: Both sound and vibration.

Email: Nothing. I get far too many emails to be bothered with an audio or vibration alert, although I'm not yet at 1000 emails a day.

Ok, your turn. How are you notified of phone calls, text messages and emails?

Sammy

Call: audio ring
Text: audio ding
Email: Audio ding 2

May 15, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Neal

I have a very simple phone due to the fact that I don't want emails, text messages, and phone calls all day long and I never wanted to feel like I had to respond to every one at any given moment. So people know that if they need to reach me right away to call me on the cell. If it requires a response but not right away, people email me and when I use the computer at home or at work, they know that I will respond in due course. If I was to upgrade to a smartphone, I would never invite people to txt me. I would keep everything the same methods I do now.

May 15, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Roshan

Phone : currently rings the same for all callers "guitar solo from Deep Purple's 'Sometime I feel like screaming'
Two Email ids, text, Twitter, Facebook and BBM alerts and unique dings so I know which is which.I have special tones for my 1000th email of the day.
Vibrations+sound are only when in holster.

May 15, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

@Roshan

What's your tone for your 1000th email of the day? 311's Fuck The Bullshit?

May 15, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Cheryl

I don't have a cellphone. Emails make a ding sound when they go onto mmy work computer or my home computer. My Primus home phone will ring normally and my talking caller ID will tell me who is calling. If people leave me voice mail, there is a different sounding dial tone on my phone, plus I get an email with an MP3 of the message attached to it.

May 15, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

Cbab

When not on vibrate:

- Work email: DS9 door chime
- Personal email and SMS: TNG door chime.

- Calls: I don't use voice enough to personalize, but it's something TNG related as well.

Bring it on haters! :D

May 15, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Roshan

@TorontoMike

Oh no it's "House of 1000 Corpses" by Rob Zombie!

May 15, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Douglas

Vibration only for all settings on either of the two phones that I regularly use (one is a two year old "slider", the other Android). Two phones ago, I had a nice Indy Cars racing ringtone, but it would not play on either of the new phones (of the same brand). When I remember, on the Android, I'll use a track of a HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) GTS starting up and launching as a ringtone (6.2L V8, nice exhaust note). I have "incentive" to answer quicker with that ringtone, as the volume increases as it plays.

May 16, 2012 @ 11:26 AM