My Burgers Then vs. My Burgers Now

My Burgers Then vs. My Burgers NowIt's the May 2-4 long weekend, and most of us will enjoy at least one BBQ. Who doesn't love a tasty barbecued hamburger?

In the good old days, when I didn't give a hot damn about nutrition labels, I'd likely gravitate towards the Presidents Choice Gigantico burgers. Don't they look good?

gigantico-34

Each Gigantico hamburger contains 34 grams of fat. 34!

This weekend, I'll enjoy Presidents Choice Blue Menu Sirloin lean beef burgers. These, I must admit, are also very, very good.

bm-sirloin-8

Oh... and each Blue Menu hamburger only contains 8 grams of fat.

Ignorance is bliss, but awareness is essential. And that's one to grow on.

Roshan

Both look awesome! Yummy

May 17, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Wayner

Its just as easy to make your own burgers and control what goes into the mix.

The result is often better than the store bought.

May 17, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

New Toronto Condos

i agree with Wayner. some of my favourite burgers are ones i make myself! but i stuff them with mushrooms and cheese so they probably arent that low in fat...but at least it is all fresh!

May 17, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Gump

I think I'll trudge up to the Burger Priest and have one of their greasy miracle burgers. The best I've ever eaten...

May 17, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Gump

May 17, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Corey

Those frozen patties leave me cold (heh heh). Used to buy them, but something about the texture grosses me out now. Nothing beats homemade. Grind your own chuck. Awesome.

May 17, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Probably full of pink slime LOL.
I make my own with a bit of Worcester, tabasco and some finely chopped halapenos and Tex Mex cheese for added flavour.

May 17, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Blind Dave

My wife and I have the perfect system -- she makes the burgers and I bbq them. Most of the time it's absolute perfection!

May 17, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

MissJuliaJ

You're on the right track! Read those labels!! HIGH FIVE!

With beef you're always looking at bad fats. Remember to look at what *kind* of fat is in your food. Never buy anything with trans fat in it. It's just bad. Badbadbad. (small amounts occur naturally in some places. beef, dairy, lamb...)

Saturated fat is also bad times, so limit it.

Next up is monounsaturated. (UNsaturated is always better) Okay and healthy, but not the best. Eat them, they're good for you (think avocados, olive oil and natural 100% peanuts peanut butter). Don't eat them at every sitting, but do eat them almost every day.

Superstar fat: Polyunsaturated. (think salmon & walnuts) Good for you. Period. Like monounsaturated: Don't eat them at every sitting, but do eat them almost every day.

Field trip: check out mayonnaise labels.
(spoiler: it's good for you!)

May 17, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

speysidephil

STORE BOUGHT BURGERS!!!!
GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Such judgement from the crowd for buying store bought burgers!

May 18, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

Vanessa

Steve and I tried to enlighten you many years ago. Glad you've finally come around. ;)

May 18, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

@Vanessa

How come you didn't tell me to make my own burgers?

May 18, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Dave Williams

@Mississauga Phil, which do you prefer after a hard night of pot smoking, the fatty or the lean?

May 18, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Teena in Toronto

We like the Blue Menu Angus burgers but they are big. We usually buy their smaller portion ones.

May 18, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

MrFascination

Frozen Burgers can only be so good.. You need to make fresh burgers.. From scratch... Their the best!

May 20, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Jill

Boxed Burgers Suck!! I think you need to ask......Where some of your readers like to go when they are craving a good burger? I just had one of the best burgers ever at a local haunt in Oshawa at Mr. Burger and just writing about it gets me excited.

May 25, 2012 @ 12:43 AM