Living With The Name Michael

Living With The Name MichaelHere are the top 5 names for births in the USA from 1912-2011. As a male named Michael, I'm always interested in where that name ranks.

Incredibly, from 1949 to 2010, the name Michael has ranked in the top four. Even more incredibly, from 1953 to 2010, it ranked in the top three, usually finishing first.

Growing up, there were always at least three Mikes or Michaels in my class. That's 10% of us with the same first name.

I played a couple of slo-pitch games last night with two other Mikes, and the three of us have been on this team for a decade. There are literally thousands and thousands of Toronto Mikes...

I'm willing to bet a bunch of you are named Michael or Mike. Chime in if that's you.

Mike in Guelph

Yep...born in 1980. Always had at least 2 or 3 others named Mike in my classes.

Still when I play baseball there are 2 other Mikes on the team.

My best friends name is Mike too.

May 15, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

@Mike in Guelph

It all sounds so familiar...

It's bizzarre fielding 6 guys on a ball team when 3 are named Mike.

At my previous place of employment there was a Mike A., Mike B., Mike C. and Mike D.

May 15, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

CQ

I hate names that trip me up when spelling. 'Michael' is at least an original - compared to some of those alternatively styled spellings. AE when I always think EA, after Mik-E.

May 15, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

McNulty

Thankfully that was my brother.

I avoided the Mike.

May 15, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

Jacob

I was the only Jacob in the neighbourhood, long ago when I was a kid.

Now it's been the most popular baby name for the past decade. Lucky me.

May 15, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Blind Dave

Uh huh, always had three or four Davids in my class. And I do have a brother Michael.

My stepson is Tyler, and that name was rarely, if ever, heard when I was a kid. Now there's three to a class of that name now, and no Davids!

May 15, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Roshan

Although a common enough name, I was always the only Roshan in my classes. When I was in the 10th grade a new kid named Roshan in the 6th grade joined my school. At work I have met one or two Roshan's, a couple with a different spelling like Roshin or Roshen and even 2 female Roshan/Roshin's! That was weird!
But hey when I was around 7 or 8 I wanted to change my name to Michael because of Knight Rider and Michael Long!

May 15, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Ajax Mike

Hey, don't forget Mike H at your previous (previous?) employer too.

May 16, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

@Ajax Mike

Yes, there were a few Mikes a couple of gigs ago, too. Mike H., Mike S., Me...

I've never worked anywhere where I was the only Mike.

May 16, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Mike from Lowville

Where I work there is Mike F, Mike G, Mike M, Mike W in the same dept. The Mike F (me) and the Mike W have partners both named Marie.

May 16, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

Wayner

These are the Daves I know I know, these are the Daves I know...

May 16, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Pete McPhedran

This is pretty funny. I just checked our family tree/history and in my branch, going back to 1103AD, there isn't a single recorded Mike or Michael.

We are stink full of Neils, Donalds and Petes, but not a Mike to be found.

--Pete

May 16, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Mike Kic

So many Mike's in my school/work life growing up that I have always gone by my last name....just to avoid confusion.

May 16, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

519 Rob

Mike, I feel your pain.
FULL DISCLOSURE - My full name is Rob Brown (sadly, not the former NHLer).
Not only have I worked with several other Robs before, but I have worked with a few other Rob Browns, and a Bob Brown too. As far as names go, mine has to be one of the top 5 most generic of all time (atleast in North America).

May 16, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

@Mike Kic

True that, I've never gone by Mike or Michael.... in school and even at work I've been Booner.

Why confuse things?

May 16, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

@519 Rob

There are a lot of Rob Browns... but think of how many Mike Smith's you know...

May 16, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Mississauga Phil

My Brother in Law is a Mike Smith....I also have an Uncle Mike, a cousin named after said Uncle, and 2 mikes at work.

However, for me it's the Steve's...3 guys in my group of friends are Steve, not to mention a guy form my old band, and my sister is Stephanie (the femanine of Steven/Stephen). When I tell my wife I'm going to Steve's she always asks me "which one?"

...only 1 other Phil in my class growing up, but we did manage to be in the same classroom most years.

May 16, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

@Mississauga Phil

I have a brother named Steve.

May 16, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

519Rob

Hmm...Mike Smith.

The Goalie, and Bubbles.

I don't think I know any others, which is strange since one branch on my family tree are Smith's.

May 16, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Don't forget this Mike Smith:

May 16, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Cheryl

Not a lot of Cheryls around. Well, there was another Cheryl in my school and in my class. We never got along well though. Yes, there's Mike Smith, the Coyotes goalie. Too bad he sucked last night, but he'll win tomorrow as my Coyotes win the cup by winning the next four games and going to the next round to win the cup. go coyotes.

May 16, 2012 @ 8:24 PM