Do It For Ponikarovsky

ponikarovsky

Poni spent nine years playing for the Maple Leafs, scoring 114 goals and 257 points in 477 games. He is now four wins away from hoisting the Stanley Cup.

I'm rooting for him.

Rosie

Finally he gets some love! Here are some lovely examples of his scoring prowess if anyone needs further convincing. http://youtu.be/igHgQjS3EmU
After a game in 2008 where he really impressed me, I tried to buy a jersey with his name on it and there was only GRABOVSKI. Disappointing.
Go Devils!

May 26, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

Blind Dave

Ok, I'll go with that logic. I was leaning towards the Devils anyway, as I've always been a Brodeur fan.

Might as well give Pocahontas (remember Don Cherry calls him that!) his due.

May 26, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Leafs Fan

Poni is one of the good guys in the game. I'm happy for him and will be rooting for him as well.

Go Devils!

May 26, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Douglas

I want to see New Jersey win the Cup. Ponikarovsky is yet another in the line of nearly all former Maple Losers who go on to do (very) well after leaving Toronto. More power to him. I've always liked Martin Brodeur, too, so I'd like to see him win another Stanley Cup before he retires. Go Devils!

May 26, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

elvis

Seriously? You're picking a hated rival of the Leafs? Sure we lost to the Kings in 1993 but we know Kerry Fraser was responsible for that.

Poni is garbage. The Devils are scum. Go Kings - Canada's team!

May 26, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

ROB

Poni was always a solid leaf - hope he gets to drink from the cup!

May 26, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Amanda

Ponik will score in game 7 overtime to win the cup!

May 26, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Pigeon Toed Dave

Poni still takes bad penalties at inappropriate times just like he did with the Leaf's.

May 27, 2012 @ 7:29 AM

Blind Dave

@elvis

Oh good, the aliens have returned the real elvis and taken back their boring, way too pleasant clone.

Remember anything from your galactic adventure, my friend? :)

May 27, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

speysidephil

Ponikarovsky and Antropov the worst leafs disasters in the last 30 years. Whoever scouted those two dumps should be nowhere near the NHL.

May 28, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

@speysidephil

Antropov was my whipping boy for years. In 2006 I even called him the bane of my existence: http://www.torontomike.com/2006/09/nik_antropov_the_bane_of_my_ex.html But he did progress quite a bit during his last couple of years here to the point where he seemed like a completely different player.

So Antropov almost won me over by the end, and Ponikarovsky was always more tolerable than Antropov. And both Antropov and Ponikarovsky have managed to put together pretty solid and long NHL careers. So they can't be the worst disasters...

If we're talking highly touted disappointments, I'd focus on Justin Pogge or Jiri Tlusty.

May 28, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Mississauga Phil

I met Poni when he was a leaf (used to work for MLSE) seemed like a solid dude, always looked happy to be on the Ice for the Blue and White

I have no horse in the race at this point, so I'll join Mike in cheering for Poni!!!

Plus no one from the Devils high sticked Gilmour in the conference finals...thus costing us one last chance to face the hAbs for the cup.

GO PONI!!!!!

May 28, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

speysidephil

Agree Miss. Phil,
all the more reason to hate LA

May 28, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

elvis

I hang my head in shame. Sad day to be a Leaf fan. Check your heads people.

May 29, 2012 @ 8:41 AM