Brooke Shields stars in The Exorcist

So I happen to be a gigantic fan of what I consider one of the best films of all time - The Exorcist.

There have been embarrassing sequels, awful prequels, spoofs, copycat films, tribute sites and even Exorcist action figures complete with spinning heads and R-rated sound effects.

It's no surprise then that there is now a theatrical version of The Exorcist being staged in Los Angeles this summer, and Brooke Shields is playing Chris Macneil, the mother of the possessed girl Regan. http://geffenplayhouse.com/more_info.php?show_id=137

I was wondering if the experience might be similar to going to Marineland, where there's an announcement before the show warning patrons that those in the first few rows will get wet - only with The Exorcist it's fake projectile vomit.

Would you see this if it was on stage in Toronto?

Cambo

I have yet to see one good movie-to-stage adaptation. They've all been sorely disappointing. The best, were ones that had no baring on movies, i.e. Jersey Boys. Probably one of the best I've ever seen.

So no, no thank you to The Exorcist on Stage.

May 24, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

PK

Not unless Tony Danza was in it lol.

Cambo - agreed, Jersey Boys was by far the best musical I have ever seen.

May 24, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Jill

The power of Christ is telling me to say....."Hell NO!"

May 25, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Marie

No way, just thinking of the film gives me the willies. Scariest movie ever.

May 25, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

MrFascination

One The All Time Best Movies? Really?

May 25, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

I have never seen The Exorcist. I feel like I'm missing out.

I have seen several parodies, however.

May 25, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

The_Voice

Evil Dead the Musical (which played in Toronto frequently) had the first few rows warned that "you may get blood on you".

May 25, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

Ryan G

@MrFascination -

In my view it is a classic. It broke new ground in film, truly pushed the envelope and entertained and disturbed millions of people. Some say the hype was bigger than the film itself, but you have to remember the effects of this being released on an unsuspecting public back in '73.

So yes, it's subjective. Zillions of people love The Matrix but I just don't get the attraction...at all.

@TorontoMike - you are.

May 25, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

Lorne

Nostalgia-to-stage conversions seem to be in these days. These things seem to go in crazy cycles. There was movie-to-tv adaptions. (Gung Ho? Dangerous Minds? Heck, even M*A*S*H counts).

Then every show got a movie. Lots of science fiction (Star Trek, X-Files, Firefly) a few regular shows (Sex in the City), and lots of 60's era shows (The Addams Family)

Recently the trend was the big screen to stage-- Lion King, Lord of the Rings, Billy Elliot. That got people into theatres, so the opposite happened, stage to big screen: Hairspray, Rock of Ages.

Looks like it's swinging back now big time, but coming back with a big old chunk of nostalgia. All those "good old movies you (the current 30-40 demographic) remember are getting the adaption: Ghost, The Exorcist, Legally Blonde, Pricilla Queen of the Desert.

That's not counting the "inspired by" category, like Spider Man: The Musical.

And when you start to delve into Off Broadway and community theatre, it just gets weirder. Did you know there's a musical Lestat? Did you know there's a musical for Fearless Vampire Killers?

May 25, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Ryan G

@The_Voice. Evil Dead Musical was a fun show and was essentially a spoof, but this Exorcist stage play intends to be respectful of the original story. From what I've read it will try to be creepy and atmospheric, but without the parlour tricks (read: spinning heads).

The original film however is the only movie that matters. The "franchise" became ridiculous, ending off at an all time low.

There were two different versions of the prequel, with two different directors and other than the lead character (Father Merrin)...a different cast. Awful. Don't watch it.

May 25, 2012 @ 10:22 AM