Beaver Cleaver? Who's That?

tvThere's a new girl on my ball team and on Monday night I picked her up to drive her to our games. She lived in a nice neighbourhood so I told her Beaver Cleaver must live nearby.

I'll bet you know where this story's going... "Who's that?", was her reply.

Who's Beaver Cleaver? Really? This 23-year old Canadian-born English-speaking woman had never heard of Beaver Cleaver.

I was floored. Leave it to Beaver aired well before my time, but it's forever available in syndication. Furthermore, as a pop culture reference it should even be known by those who have never seen an episode.

I'm going to assume every person who will ever read this entry has heard of Beaver Cleaver, am I right?

Jamie

Favourite line ever " Ward you were pretty hard on the beaver last night"
Classic.

May 16, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Claire

I grew up in England, and had never heard of Leave it to Beaver until I moved here. My husband references it occasionally. I have no idea what he is talking about...

May 16, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

The_Voice

30 years old, and I have heard of it. Never watched a full episode though.

May 16, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

CQ

Wow...
Currently it is also on at 4 p.m. weekdays on Antenna TV, Buffalo (channel 2.2). Along with Dennis the Menace, Father Knows Best, and Bachelor Father. TCT Family (also OTA from Buffalo at 26.3) had a few episodes of Meet Corliss Archer recently as well, plus Ozzie and Harriet, and the childless I Married Joan.
50s era crime shows such as Racket Squad, Mr. and Mrs. North, and Dragnet also appear frequently. Plus there's also tons of cool TV stuff from the 60s and 70s. Not counting me-TV, which showed a Yankees game in Baltimore last night.

Not knowing Wally and Beaver though ... (Er, um: 'english-speaking'? Is this young woman a 2nd generation from Overseas, or a viz-miz individual. I ask since 1950s TV is mostly white-centric.)

May 16, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

@CQ

She looks like she could be Beaver and Wally's sister.

May 16, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Mississauga Phil

You think that's bad!! I was having a few drinks with the neighbors on the weekend and thier 22 year old daughter had never heard of- Led Zepplin, Tom Petty, Stone Temple Pilots, Depeche Mode,and a few other bands that don't come to mind right now, but it amazed me at the time that she'd never heard of them. While she had heard of Queen, she had no idea who Freddie Murcury was...

what are parents teaching their kids these days (Bare in mind I'm only 30 myself)

May 16, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Martin

Aging hurts.

May 16, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

VegasGeoff

I used to walk home for lunch everyday from school (do kids even do that anymore?) and would watch it at noon on CKVR (does that channel still exist?)

May 16, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

@VegasGeoff

CKVR became The New VR for a long while and then A-Channel.

Now it's CTV Two Barrie, I believe.

May 16, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

519 Rob

Honestly, was this line...
"Ward you were pretty hard on the beaver last night"
...Really ever spoken on the show, or is this urban legend.
Either way, great line.

May 16, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

@519 Rob

Great question. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that's an urban legend.

And when did beaver become a nickname for... you-know-what.

May 16, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Cheryl

I never heard of it, but I'm not a TV watcher.

May 16, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

NW

I also used to watch the reruns on CKVR.

Never mind "Beaver Cleaver"... I refer to people that suck up to others in a phoney manner as "Eddie Hascall".

May 16, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Pigeon Toed Dave

I bet she would not have heard of Green Acres either.

May 16, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

Cheryl

Never heard of Green Acres, but that doesn't make me a bad person. I'm not into those crummy shows. I am not a TV watcher. Who needs a TV anyway. I get my hockey by the radio broadcasts on the net.

May 16, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Blind Dave

CKVR was a great station!

I've seen a handful of Beaver episodes but was never a huge fan of the series. Given the choice, I'd watch the Flintstones on CFTO at noon instead.

May 16, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

andrew

@Cheryl
You live a life & can understand your limitations with you being blind, but there is more to life than the Habs, Suns & Coyotes. Coyotes have had a great playoffs but they are probably done with the 8th seeded Kings.

You love playing Tennis (like watching paint dry) but have never commented about one of the best Canadians ever to play - Milos Raonic. Why??

May 16, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

@Peter

Classic!

@Cheryl

See, I don't think you have to watch TV to know of Leave it to Beaver or Green Acres. I think these shows transcend television and become a part of our popular culture.

Sort of like the way I know classic lines from Gone With the Wind, a movie I've never seen, and I know about The Bay City Rollers, despite the fact I've never heard them.

May 16, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Anonymous

I'm 22. I've heard of Leave it to Beaver, but never watched it. Although I wouldn't have got your reference because I didn't know Beaver's last name is Cleaver.

May 16, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Pigeon Toed Dave

Back to Green Acres--- Great writers and fantastic characters.

May 17, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

Mike from Lowville

"Ward you were pretty hard on the beaver last night"

Oh it is a real line June, believe me.

I've seen every episode at least 3 or more times.

May 17, 2012 @ 7:29 AM

Dave Williams

@Mississauga Phil; I will bet that Ward was not a closet pot smoker.

May 17, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Mike from Lowville

@Dave Williams, so your one of those people who can't let things go eh? That is usually a sign of something.

May 17, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Rob from Barrie

my favorite character was Larry Mondello who was always getting Beaver in trouble.

May 17, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

headsup

@VegasGeoff
I'm 27 and that was my experience also in elementary school. Don't think I'd watch it now, but it helped to fill the hour and ten minutes break at the time.
@Torontomike
Agreed - Leave It to Beaver is just one of those North American pop culture things that people need to know. I volunteered with a community group a couple years ago and we parodied the show for a play we were doing. I was surprised how many 10-14-year-olds were familiar with the show. Its interesting how collective memory holds (or doesn't hold) onto things.

May 17, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

headsup

This isn't proof of the quote we've been looking for, but its pretty funny just the same...

May 17, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

See, if June really did say that line, wouldn't that clip be all over YouTube? The fact we can't find it makes me think it never really happened.

May 17, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Dave - No one was even talking about that..why are you trying to stir shit up?

May 17, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Mississauga Phil

Just realized there are a bunch of Daves. THat comment was directed at Dave Williams

May 17, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

@Mississauga Phil

These are the Daves I know, I know... these are the Daves I know.

May 17, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

Missisauga Phil

Some of them are David and some of them are Dave

May 17, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

They all have their own hands but they come from different moms.

May 17, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

Corey

I think the "weren't you a little hard on the beaver" is just a perpetuated misquote, like "Play it again Sam", or "Luke, I am your father." They're similar to the actual line, but not accurate, and for some reason get repeated so often, they become accepted as the real quote.
The closest June came to saying that was, "I hope you weren't too hard on the Beaver."
Doesn't work quite as well as a double entendre.

May 17, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

MIke Kic

I love how you blogged about this....

May 17, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

@Mike Kic

At least I didn't mention that she's never heard of the General Lee. The car or the general.

May 17, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Toronto Mike - except now you have mentioned it :)

May 17, 2012 @ 3:32 PM