Toronto Terrestrial Radio Options: An Open Discussion

radioLet's talk about the current state of Toronto radio. Yes, I realize many of you have abandoned terrestrial radio in favour of satellite and internet radio or podcasts, but let's pretend we only have the transistor radio from our youth at our disposal. Let's stick to FM and AM signals you can get from Toronto.

I'll start... The station I listen to most often these days is CBC RadioOne which is 99.1. I just find it interesting, enjoy their news reports and love the lack of ads. In the car, when I want to hear a tune, I still tune in Edge 102.1 or 97.7 HTZ-FM, but the narrow playlist now employed by 102.1 seriously frustrates me. Having said that, I still usually like what I hear there, even if they do overplay certain "top 40 for grunge" songs.

I still enjoy Prime Time Sports on The Fan 590, and tune that in periodically. I'll also listen to Jays Talk on that station following an interesting Jays game. That's about it... 99.1, 102.1, 97.7 and 590.

I find the vast majority of stations are pretty awful. It seems we're underserved in this market, and it's only getting worse. It's no wonder I spend most of my day listening to Howard Stern, Humble and Fred podcasts and MP3s.

Ok, your turn. What do you like / dislike about Toronto terrestrial radio these days? What stations do you listen to?

Jason from Sudbury

HTZ is alright, but liked it more back in the day when they played heavier stuff, but it's still better than the Edge or Q107. The only time I really listen to the Edge now is at night when Loveline is on.
Listen to the Fan for Hockey Central and Prime Time Sports, I dont mind Tim and Sid either, but really could do without 99.9% of the crap they use for their bumpers.

April 2, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

elvis

I listen to Sirius everywhere I go. If I had to listen to terrestrial radio, it's Q107 or The Fan 590. Even then, I'd rather download the podcasts for PTS and listen without commercials.

April 2, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

brad

toronto radio sux so bad

April 2, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

Bob

Like Elvis I listen to a little Q10Zeppelin and 590.

Those autotune stations (CHFI,CHUMFM, Z103, KISS, 99.9) are both indistinguishable and terrible.

April 2, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Elba

I listen to 97.3 for music and 680 News for, well, news. I don't have any patience for inane banter the other radio stations seem to have.

April 2, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Rob de

We listen to The Dock at 104.1 but are only able to get their signal north of Toronto from about King Side Road. When in TO we listen to Q107. or AM640

April 2, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Realist

Toronto is so big, with so many excellent signals, and the best we can do is Q107 and 590?

Yikes!

April 2, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

CQ

96% of my broadcast music listening is from The Cool TV, broadcasting at 49.2 (MY-TV subchannel). They know how to set-up a playlist where individual videos expertly fit together. They know how to break for frequent, short in duration commercials, and return to programming gently. They have no hosts peppering with constant and disruptive, heh heh heh, creepy dirtbag banter. And they have specific(!) regular programs for different rock genres, eras, and decades.
The other 4% would be the MuchMoreMusic countdown - just to catch up, with a few times a year.
CBC RadioTwo frustrated me. For maybe an hour a day they play assorted girl-pop and folk music? And they still have the same problems as given above.
Talk Radio - I never bother with, except recently to hear 55+ year old men calling in about the Leafs.
Radio (and Toronto Radio) itself is dead and long deceased.

April 2, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

jamie

Dean Blundell really irates me. He's a complete Howard Stern wannabe even though he claims to never have listened to Stern, really the poop jokes and burping are your own? Gimme a break. They should just give Blind Derek his own show and send Blundell and his lap dog Todd out the door.

April 2, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Derrick

102.1, Fan590 (except in the morning), and CBC Radio 1 all for the reasons Mike listed above.

I also listen to Boom 93.7, and 680 news for traffic and the news.

On the way to the cottage I listen to Rock 95. You can get that station about 30 minutes north of Parry Sound!

April 2, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Scott

Gave up on 102.1 years ago.

Started listening to CBC Radio 2 when they rejigged their format. The music was OK then, a decent mix of stuff, but the morning DJs were horrible (Allen then Mackowitz). Now they've got a decent DJ (Powers) but the music has run into a narrow rut. Overplaying they same artists every morning, considering how many they could choose from. And they seem utterly besotted by Springsteen's new "hey hey USA" song, which for the CBC is bizarre.

At least Molly Johnson on the weekends is awesome.

April 2, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Q107 was cool before they went all classic rock. I remember when I first started listening to it in the 90's, it was awesome.

April 2, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Doug

I listen to John Moore on 1010 from 5:30am till I get into the office just after 6:00am. (I used to listen to Dean Blundell, but once Danger Boy left....and now listening to the Humble and Fred podcast at the office, I can't stand Blundell's show anymore.

When I am out on the road during the day, Mike Stafford on 640 in the morning, Tim and Sid on 590 in the afternoon, and I flip between 102.1, 94.9 and 97.3 when I want to listen to music.

April 2, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

Declan

Boom is okay, but it's not the Spirit of Radio I was hoping for.

CBC Radio One is excellent for news and some of their programs are wonderful.

Q107 is tired. Edge 102 is repititious. AM is dead.

Mamma, don't let yer kids grow up to be in radio.

April 2, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

David

I listen to talk radio a lot more than music radio.

When I listen to FM it's primarily Boom, Vinyl, CHFI, or Jazz FM 91. I used to listen to Boom and Vinyl a lot more but I feel their playlists have gone awry since they launched. I'm sick of hearing Shania Twain and Michael Buble on Vinyl and obscure horrible-sounding 80's songs I've never heard of on Boom. 97.3 also needs a real morning show...H+F perhaps? That'd be awesome.

For talk radio in the morning I flip back and forth between Brady and Lang, Mike Richards, and Oakley pretty evenly. The rest of the day it's all FAN 590 except for Bryan Hayes (who I love) from 12-4. AM 640 would really do themselves a favour if they got rid of Arlene Bynon from 4-7. She's so boring, I consider her unlistenable. Don't like John Tory either, he rambles on far too much and too often goes astray and talks about some fluffy subject instead of the day's news.

Also, kudos to 590 for having local programming overnight. Gives me a great alternative to Coast to Coast if they're talking about something uninteresting.

April 2, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

brad

jazz fm plays the wrong jazz

April 2, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

Jacob

Tune into 106.5 FM. The station needs some obvious work, but you may be surprised by it.

April 2, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

@Jacob

We have a 106.5 now?

April 2, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

JP

We must be the same demo, we all pretty much listen to the same stuff.

I rarely listen to music on the radio now. I have 6000 songs on my Ipod that I can choose from, and I find music radio has gotten so bland. Used to love The Edge, but I think it's awful now. If I'm in the car and flipping I might scan through 102.1 and 97.3.

I enjoy The Fan 590 a lot (I'm a big sports fan). Love listening to Jays games on the radio. Love McCown. Like Brady, like Tim and Sid. I mostly get their shows on podcast though, and fast forward to the segments I want to hear when I have time.

Occasionally I'll tune into Bullard on 1010 (much better than his TV show). I despise Jerry Agar. I also like CBC 1 and 680 for news fixes.

I was hoping CBC Radio 2 would be something innovative and interesting, but I find it incredibly boring.

April 2, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

JP

We must be the same demo, we all pretty much listen to the same stuff.

April 2, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Sam in Pickering

102
107
590

Those are the big 3.

Kinda sad... really missing something on the music side of things.

April 2, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Tee

640 in the mornings for Oakley (and Stafford if I'm working from home).
1050 for Mike Hogan.
If none of the above are on, I'll flip between 1050, 590 and 97.7.

April 2, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Sheryl

I used to listen to Blundell, but I found something more interesting... the sound of a mockingbird, peckin' on a frozen turd.

April 2, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Jill

Jim Richards on 1010 is very funny and is an amazing interviewer.

H&F are the best- honest, and are entertaining from the very beginning.

Q107 is chum-fm BORING!

April 2, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Jill

...and Biggs & Barr on 97.7 are really, really good..they should be in Toronto so more people can hear them!

April 2, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Cheryl

Radio is boring. I have so many songs on my hard drive. They're either from my big CD collection or they're from stuff I bought on Itunes. I decided not to buy CDs anymore and just get music from Itunes. I can listen to big long samples for free before I buy. For news, I read the Star online. I also get bulletins from 680 news emailed to me as well or bulletins from the City of Toronto Web site itself. Of course, I can get my Habs radio broadcasts on the net. I have it all. Who needs radio. It was good long ago, but every station sounds the same.

April 2, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Paul

I am enjoying 98,7 FM since CKLN left. Nobody else? What ARE you guys? White?

April 2, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

James

Pretty Much that Same as you Mike. Only now i have a system in the car that lets me connect my iPhone so not much radio at all . In fact considering it . CBC 1 ,590 and 97.7 are the only stations i will stay on for more than 5 minutes and even that's rare.

April 2, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

MrFascination

Radio is stale, mainly because todays music scene is in such a bad state.

Mornings 5:30 - 7am CFRB1010 John Moore.. Not The Best Morning Show, But Its ok.

Drive Home - Flip Between Prime Time Sports (590) and Edge 102.

Weekends I flip between 102.1 and 97.3.

April 2, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

Gump

CBC Radio 1 1st thing in the morning to find out what is going on in this city until 8:30, then over to 104.5 for Darren (funniest guy on the radio if only he was on a non-MOR station) for a few minutes, then over to CBC 2 for a couple hours of great classical music (love the no commercials) and great to code too.
After lunch (I'd love to listen to CFNY's 90's Nooner but I can't stand Josie), over to Vancouver's Peak, then back to CBC 2 for Tom Powers, etc.
On the road over to Prime Time Sports for great analysis of sporting stories.
Usually listen to CBC at 6 for great news coverage off at 6:30 before those awful puns.

April 2, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Irvine

@mrfascination; the music scene is more robust than ever. Just most of it never gets on the radio. Dan Mangan won a juno for alt rock record. Heard him on the radio in Toronto much? Or Bon Iver. Or Current Swell. Or Elliot brood. Etc

April 2, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

@Paul

Dare I start a "what colour are you?" discussion tomorrow?

April 2, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Marsden

Does no one here listen to David Marsden on 94.9 The Rock?

April 2, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

J9

I station jump, and stop when I hear a good song. The Edge, The Q, Y108, 97.7. If all else fails, I turn to Jazz 91.1 - the music is crisp, the radio personalities are pleasant, the news is great. And i enjoy the tunes.

I would love to see TO get a AAA format like Vancouver's PEAK.

April 3, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

Rob

I rotated through a few stations at different times.

In the mornings, it used to be 102.1 the edge without question. I do find Dean Blundell to be funny. It is a five day a week show, not every day was a home run but at least would provide a moment or two which caused me to laugh. However, over the last six months I stopped listening to anything but the music. Edge does play some stellar new artists that I would never discover otherwise. You do have to sit through Nirvana 10 times, but that is what changing stations is for. I stopped listening to Blundell because I found his humour to start relying more on being cruel. He tends to choose some celebrity and just tears into them. Stuff like that doesn't entertainment me at all.

Also, in the mornings I shift through CBS Radio 2 for a some good Folk/Indie music along with the Under the Covers segment. Also, I check out 107.1, 108, 92.5, and 103.5 if there is any one song I like on. Usually on the morning drive there isn't though. None of these stations I go for the personalities.
I used to listen to the Fan590 but have slowly stopped. It is the same formula each week with never being all too insightful or informative. "We're taking calls, is Dion Phenuff the worst captain ever". Proceeded by 10 calls of fans just destroying the guy. I do like Jays talk with Mile Wilner, as much hate as he gets, I learn something about baseball every time he is on and hear facts about the game I didn't pick up on.

Most days I throw music on the IPhone and listen to that on the drive or The Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

April 3, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

speysidephil

I know I'm showing my age but AM740 has great music covering all decades and if they get their FM license it will be even better.
Other than that it's 640 (Oakley and Stafford).

April 3, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Irvine

@Paul: I've listened to G98.7. It's definitely an interesting station and WAY better than what Flow was doing. Keep in mind, the signal is weak & it came on the air with very little fanfare.

J9: Well perhaps someday a Peak style station will appear in Toronto. Pattison, the owner of Peak has applied to start a 100Kw version of Peak 95.3 in Calgary. I don't know if he'll get it, but I suspect he's got a good chance. The Peak REALLY commits money to Canadian music & they are the number 1 method I find good, quality Canadian alternative music.

If you are an Alternative fan, check out The Peak's sister station, 91.3 The Zone in Victoria. As Alt rock stations go in this day and age, it's pretty good. Dan Mangan, Hey Rosetta, Said the Whale, Current Swell, The Boom Booms, etc, etc.

BTW, he's a song the Peak is playing that's freaking BRILLIANT. Dude is huge in the UK but completely unknown in Canada.

Ed Sheeran - A Team.

April 3, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Irvine

@Speyside Phil:

If you like AM740, try Swing 1270 AM in Buffalo. It's an awesome station and plays stuff from the 30s & 40s, including swing and "crooner" music.

April 3, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Jacob

@Toronto Mike

Ya, AFAIK 106.5 is *technically* a first nations related station, but they're working around their license to broadcast a wide variety of music every day except Sunday, when it's all talk. (I think that's how they stay within their license.)

The station is pretty amateur, which is sort of charming, but they play a lot of modern music that never gets airplay in this city. Very few commercials, too. If they put some effort into it, it could become a great freeform station. (Unless someone calls them out on their license.)

April 3, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

Wayner

I'm a visual and also a very lazy individual...if I'm at home and inside I generally have the TV on. My radio listening, therefore, is relegated to driving to and from work and hanging around the backyard. At those times I listen to the edge/102.1/cfny/spirit of radio etc. because old habits die hard…

I do change stations whenever the edge has one of their tedious Nirvana weekends which seems to be every other weekend during the summer months

April 3, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

@Wayner

I'm okay with 102 playing lots of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, RHCP, STP etc, because I happen to dig those bands, but my issue is that they play the same few songs from each band. And these bands have massive catalogues.

Play those acts, but dive into the catalogue a little. Play something from Mother's Milk!

April 3, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Yeah one can only listen to Dani California so many times.

Hey by the way, listenning to the Fan now, Tim and Sid just came on. So who is Kid Famous?

April 3, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike

With the exception of Nirvana I agree with you. Over the pst 10 years I have learned to despise Nirvana. I think it stems from The Edge (and similar radio stations) holdeing them up as rock icons on par with The Beatles or Led Zepplin.

They are not, they did help bring around the death of hair metal (which I will be eternally grateful for). But, Kurt Cobain could barely play guitar, and many of his lyrics were nonsensical mish mash of random words (Sell the kids for food/wheather changes moods.......)

I would take the Foo Fighters on their worst day over Nirvana at their best, If kurt Cobain hadn't offed himself, Nirvana would have faded into obscurity along with the rest of the grunge movment...they would probably be planning a reunion show right about now. Pearl Jam survived because they evolved.

What about STP you ask?? While I still listen to my old STP albums all the time, when is the last time you heard good music out of the STP camp??? Their "reunion album" a few years back was a turd....

April 3, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Jason

Kid Famous is a local DJ/MC who is friends with Tim & Sid and recorded the intro music for their show on 590

April 3, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

@Mississauga Phil

The last great STP album was Purple.

And I disagree with you re: Nirvana. As much as I love Foo, Nirvana > Foo Fighters.

April 3, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike

In complete agreement on Purple....Big empty is easily my favorite STP song, and my band used to cover Interste back in the day.

I don't understand how you can say Nirvana is greater than the Foos, but Im not going to slip into childish name calling...we'll just have to agree to disagree...

Foo Fighters > Nirvana....

April 3, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Irvine

@TorontoMike and MississaugaPhil.

Clearly neither one of you see the irony in your posts. Discussing why a modern music radio station should be playing more of less music from bands from 20 years ago. On one hand Toronto Mike attacks 102.1 for being "Top 40 grunge" yet on the other hand he wants to hear lots of music from 5 bands whose best days are 15 years behind them.

The reason the Alternative Rock format is in death throws is because of it's focus on music that's 20 years old. And what's more ironic is that many of you espouse the magic of David Marsden, yet I highly doubt a modern day David Marsden would be spinning STP songs every 3 hours. As someone that was around during the actual "spirit of radio" era, the station was about the new & the unique. IT was not about rehashed 20 year old bands.

You are the types that post articles that declare "rock music is dead". Rock Radio is dead, not rock music. Rock is very much alive. That's why Coachella or Glastonbury pull in such huge crowds. Of course most of the musicians at Coachella don't get any radio airplay. How can they? Alternative rock is too busy playing another Nirvana record. OR..the ugly little secret is that people that like music have stopped seeing FM radio as a viable source for new music. Doesn't bode well when today's 15 year old becomes the 25-54 demo, does it.

Hey Mike. Do you remember when you were 18? And you saw all those old dudes listening to classic rock unable to let the past go?

That's you.

April 3, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

@Irvine

Always the shit disturber...

I'm not asking for more 90s music, I'm just saying if they have to play those artists they don't always have to play the same three tunes.

And FYI: I listen to a lot of new music. I can't wait to get my hands on the new Jack White. The last two albums I spun where Florence + The Machine and Black Keys.

April 3, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

MrFascination

Irvine - Actually I have heard of those acts. The Canadian music scene has always been active, but right now it's no where near as active as it was in the late 80's or even in the early 2000's. All you have to do is ask the local bar's/clubs - their having a hard time booking acts and selling tickets.

April 3, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Jason Patterson

I haven't been here in awhile, but I see it's the same bland subject matter. Toronto terrestrial radio... who cares.

April 3, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Irvine

@TorontoMike

Well have no fear Mr Boon. Today is D Day to start my CCIE - Security so I'll probably be absent from your forums (are ya giddy now, eh lol). At like 3000 grand plus travel, failing ain't an option.

While I like Jack White and the Black Keys are OK, I certainly wouldn't define them as cutting edge or new. Florence? Yes. But there are lots of great new material out there. First song that came to mind was Santigold's new song. No one plays it but no one played "LES Artiste" which was..AWESOME.

But seeing we're talking about "good Toronto radio", let me make a recommendation. The Strombo Show on CBC on Sunday Night. The magnificent 7 for all the interesting new stuff. The rest of his show for actual diversity in music. From the wildest punk right down to him playing Mitsou - Cowboy last week.

@MrF. Did you give thought that it might be the economy that's slowing things down? My own personal experience is that the music scene is VERY good in Vancouver & in Edmonton. Less so in Calgary but that's due to the hot economy which results in dive bars getting torn down and replaced with upscale lounges. No place for a live band.

Alternative rock radio should not be playing ANY old music. It should be focused on the new with maybe a very rare spin of a classic. Otherwise it's destined for the graveyard as a format.

April 3, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Wayner

I'm almost 50 now but I still manage to get my lazy ass out of the house and visit the clubs to see new, independent bands (e.g. arkells, stars, ruby coast, great lake swimmers etc.)..

Although CFNY/the edge has settled into some kind of malaise over the years I still credit them for my appreciation of new/alternative music. They played these bands (and sometimes still do) when no other stations would. If anyone really cares about alternative or independent music scene I suggest that they attend the Canadian Music Week and/or NXNE…you’ll get a better idea as to what’s out there more so than the radio (terrestrial and satellite included).

April 4, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

Lorne

I'll jump around the follow presets:
102.1 (Toronto)
95.7 (Barrie rock)
94.9 (Hamilton I think)
107.1 (Toronto)
107.9 (Hamilton)
97.7 (Hamilton)

I'll usually leave it on 107.9 in the morning, since Ben & Kerry are actually not bad. They tend to be level headed, intelligent for a morning show, and tend to do more than just read stuff from the Internet.

Plus every other Thursday is "Ask a Cop", which is very informative.

April 4, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

izzy

David Marsden on 94.9!!

This is the best radio going...it makes up for all the Monday to Friday crap. I listen and then download.

Thank you Mr. Marsden for keeping the spirit of radio alive.

April 4, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

Rob

Lorne is totally right. Ben and Kerry on Y108 are the best in the mornings. The Ask A Cop bit is hilarious.
The best part about them is their humour isnt all 'poopy' 'dum dum' 'poo poo head' and other mature levels of humour.
I know I am getting out of the Toronto market here (so sue me, I live in Guelph), but the Conestoga College radio station (88.3) is pretty decent too. The DJs are (mostly) all students, so they are the greatest, but they play in the range of 45 mins of music an hour. Minimum commercials, and not a ton of chatter, so its pretty good that way.
FM96 in London is OK too. They sorta do what 102.1 should be. FM96 will play a lot of Nirvana, Foos, RHCP, etc, but they play back catalogue songs.
Plus they played 'Do The Bartman' (yes, the simpsons song) a few weeks ago, just for a laugh.

April 4, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Rob

@Myself
I should have re-read that last post before I posted it.
I meant to say that the DJs at 88.3 'aren't the best'. But they are still learning, so I give them the benfit of the doubt there.

April 4, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Douglas

I have to admit to having to listen to 680 a lot so that I can deal with traffic when I have to go in/through Toronto. FM presets get a regular workout between:

102.1 (Toronto)
94.9 (The 'Shwa)
97.3 (Toronto) often out of curiosity
107.9 (Hamilton, if I'm not too close to Oshawa's 107.7)
97.7 (St. Catherines)
95.3 (Hamilton) same as 97.3
107.1 almost a last resort, yawn

I used to flip through the Buffalo area stations as well, but they've all become unbelievably bland/stereotypical for their format. 97Rock (WGRF 96.9) might as well be "Dead Artists Radio", since just about every song that gets played is from a dead artist or has at least one dead person in the group.

The most-used buttons in the car are CD-changer related (the car pre-dates mp3 player connections).

Given all of the above, you can see why I have written more than once that I will not listen to anything local if I am at a computer. Currently, KNRK Portland is on stream.

April 4, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

NW

If I'm in the car long enough I'll play "preset routlette" to see how long it takes before one of 94.9, 95.3, 95.7 (Barrie), 97.3, 97.7, 107.1 or 107.9 plays something CanCon that is really really overplayed (e.g. April Wine).

Otherwise it would probably be CFNY, unless it is during Dean Blunderhead's show or if they are playing anything by Sublime.

April 4, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

@NW

I have a question about 102.1 and their obsession with Sublime.

Back in the day, mid-to-late 90s, they'd play "What I Got" or "Santeria". It was always one or the other.

Nowadays, they play the hell out of "Smoke Two Joints". It's become their go-to Sublime tune, and they never played it in the 90s.

IMHO, "Smoke Two Joints", a Toyes cover, it greatly inferior to "What I Got", "Santeria" or "Wrong Way". And where's "Garden Grove" or "April 29, 1992 (Miami)" if they want to play something different?

They play "Smoke Two Joints" to play up their slacker pot head persona and it comes across as pretty forced.

April 4, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Jason from Sudbury

What's 107.7 out of Oshawa? I thought 107.7 was in Buffalo, not sure what it is now but I remember a few years ago it was all sports.

April 4, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

NW

@Jason

107.7 out of Oshawa is the FM of 1580-CKDO (which used to be on 1350). Or maybe I should say that the 1580 is the AM of FM-107.7. I guess they'd be another candidate for April Wine overplay as they are oldies. The Buffalo 107.7 is now simulcasting 930-WBEN.

@Toronto Mike

I don't recall ever hearing those other Sublime songs on CFNY when they were "current". It seems that 91X in San Diego/Tijuana must play one of "Garden Grove", "April 29..." in addition to the other ones at last once every three hours.

April 5, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

Keith Bowman

I live in Niagara Falls and work in Brampton so I listen to the raido alot...it's really bad these days :( i'm all over the map with stations and dont have a fav except Hair nation on sat but cant aford it right now lol I like 97 rock at time in Buf and the Buzz 98.9 but hard to get in Brampton.The Q only plays 3 songs from the same group and gets boring!!! Y108 isn't bad at times either but really...radio does suck large around here.. and its very sad to what it was many years ago :( bring back Mojo!!!! :) lol

April 6, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Quinny

I download David Marsden's twice-weekly shows from 94.9 the Rock FM.
That gives me 10 hours a week of awsome music.
The only other time I listen to terrestial radio is in the car and I just keep hitting the buttons trying to avoid commercials and bad songs

April 6, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Petti

I'm with you Mike. I usually always have my Sirius on in the car and at work to hear the Howard Stern show.
Other than that, Bob McCowan's show on the ride home and Jay's talk is pretty much it.

Growing up in the early 90's I remember there being so many options on both AM and FM. The problem is they all sound very similar now.

Outside of Dean Blundell, there is no attempt to be edgy or original like Humble and Fred, Jesse and Gene were 15-20 years ago.

April 6, 2012 @ 4:35 PM