Parity

puckPrior to drafting my playoff pool this year, I wrote down the teams I thought would advance to the second round of the NHL playoffs. I picked:

• Pittsburgh
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Boston
  • Vancouver
  • San Jose
  • Nashville
  • Chicago

Except for calling Nashville over Detroit, I could get bulldozed. Pittsburgh and San Jose are already out and New Jersey, New York, Boston, Vancouver and Chicago are each a loss away from elimination.

If that isn't parity, I don't know what is. 8 seeds are handling 1 seeds, anything can happen and we could see a Phoenix / Florida final.

Parity is overrated. It makes it impossible to skillfully draft a competitive playoff team and it means my adopted team for the playoffs is already eliminated. Unless, of course, my Leafs do manage to slip into 8th one season. Then, this might just work out.

The_Voice

Pittsburgh was my team, so I am most definitely out.

April 22, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

Rob

If the second round moves forward as it looks now (assuming Wash wins in gm7), the 2nd round will feature only 2 teams that have ever won the cup before. Thats Philly and Ottawa.
Could be a year with some big changes.
For what its worth, I still like St Louis (although I had them beating Pitts, so what do I know...)

April 22, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Pigeon Toed Dave

One thing is for certain. You will never see the leaf's in the playoff's with Burke in control. The leaf's are so far off the mark it might be another ten years before they have a real NHL calibre team.

April 23, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

dale

@Rob

Ottawa has never won the cup.
Possibly this year. Who knows, anything can happen in these playoffs.

April 23, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

@dale and @Rob

This is an interesting discussion. This version of the Sens, established in 1990, has never won the cup.

But the original Senators won it 11 times.

But the only linkage is the name. It's a different franchise, and a very different era.

I'm pretty sure Senators fans start counting in 1990.

April 23, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Yeah the Sens only need 1 more to take out NY. Really impressed with Nashville though, I expected them to beat Detroit, but didn't think they would do it in 5. Also didn't expect Pittsburg and Vancouver to get bounced either.

Really hoping the Sens make it far though, it would be really cool to see them win the cup. It's been 19 years since a canadian team has won it, the last being the Habs, on 06/09/1993, and I remember it like it was yesterday, was only 10 years old, and because it was a school night my mom made me go to bed early, so I had my headphones plugged into my little tv and watched the game. I got busted too, lol just as the game finished.

April 23, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

Douglas

On a positive note, Vancouver going out in the first round: downtown Vancouver is safe from rioting had the Canucks gone a lot farther.

April 23, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I must admit, I've been rooting against Ottawa and Vancouver. I want the next Canadian team to win the cup to be my team, and I'm willing to wait as long as it takes.

I'm desperately hoping the Rangers wake up and take out the Sens in 7. I hate the Sens. Dougie and Wendel could come out of retirement and suit up for the Sens and I'd root against them. This is about laundry, and it runs deep.

I was rooting for the Pens, and now I'm not sure where to turn. I sort of like hearing Colaiacovo and Steen's names when I watch St. Louis, because it reminds me of this stupid trade: http://www.torontomike.com/2008/11/leafs_trade_colaiacovo_and_ste.html

I think I'll be okay so long as Ottawa and Philadelphia don't win.

April 23, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

Rob

@Dale & @Mike

I understand that is a pretty big window between the 'original' Senators and the 'new' Senators. But either way, that city, with the name Senators, has won The Cup.
Whether you could it or not, you could have a final between 2 teams that have never won the cup, or at the least been a very, very, very long time since they did.

April 23, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

@Rob

April 23, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

Rob

Sigh...and here is why you can PREVIEW before you POST...

I meant to say 'Whether you count it or not...'

April 23, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Jason from Sudbury

In the west, I'm torn between Phoenix and Nashville, out of the 2 I think Nashville will probably go further and has a better shot at the cup, but although this will never happen, I would also like to see the Coyotes win the cup, just as they're about to move to Quebec. I wonder how that would go over. Wonder how big their parade would be. lol I can just see it now, right after the parade they find out they're moving. lol I know it's wishful thinking, but I just think it would be funny.

April 23, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Jason

Mike, good work, you managed to pick almost every team that was eliminated in the 1st round. That's fairly hard to do!

>> True... a franchise in that city with that nickname won the cup. That should count.
It's about as much of a nickname as the Winnipeg Jet franchise is now, or the Quebec Nordiques for that matter. Fact is, Ottawa did have a team before the team RETURNED to Ottawa. I'm pretty sure they pummeled their way past the Leafs to win the Stanley Cup as well. :) It counts and the banners fly high in Ottawa. >:P

April 23, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

@Jason

I'm in no position to throw stones. My team hasn't won since the Original Six days...

But I will say this. We've met the modern day Sens in the playoffs 4 times. We've also beat them 4 times.

April 23, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Sens couldn't get it done tonight, game 7 in NY Thursday.

April 23, 2012 @ 10:35 PM