Would?

Would?About five years ago, I wondered which 15 albums I would own if I could only own 15 albums. The first album on that list was Alice in Chains' Dirt.

What can I say about Dirt? If it's okay with you, I'd like to steal from myself again. Here's what I wrote about Dirt 8 years ago this month:

Truth be known, I spin this disc about ten times a week on average. The tone of this entire disc is dark and it blends well with a particular mood I'm often in while working hard on a project. Every song on this cd is awesome.

I first heard Alice in Chains' "Would?" on the Singles soundtrack back in 1992, but it eventually made its way onto Hurt. "Would?" was written about Andrew Wood, the lead singer of Mother Love Bone who died of a heroin overdose in 1990. It was a perfect little grunge song.

There was the version that appeared on Dirt:

The most excellent unplugged version:

A cool cover by Opeth:

And last but certainly not least, Layne's isolated vocal track:

It's timeless.

Icarus

My 15 would contain at least 3 Tom Waits albums...

March 11, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I really need to redo my 15. The older I get, the more Tom Waitsy I become.

March 11, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Roshan

This is the song that introduced me to Alice In Chains. But it would take me till 1995 to be a full fledged fan. I love this ban so much and their Unplugged album is arguably the best in that series. Although it's such a big shame that Layne died, I'm glad that the rest of the guys got back together and brought in Duvall.

March 11, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

Rob

Alice In Chains was the one 'big' 90's grunge band I never really got that into. My fav album of theirs was Jar of Flies. Despite that, Layne has (had) one of my favourite rock voices.
I wonder what he'd be doing today if he didnt let drug rule his life?

March 12, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

dale

No Comment, other than absolute CRAP. This is NOT Music.

Too bad about Layne.

March 12, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

@dale

That reply is so ignorant.

You may not like the music, but to state it's not music is asinine.

March 13, 2012 @ 4:49 PM