iPhone vs. Android vs. Blackberry

phoneOn the heels of our great discussion about computer operating systems, I want to know what OS is running on your smart phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S II running Android. I've had it for about six months after years of using a Blackberry.

I love my Android, but I know people who literally make out with their iPhones. I've never made out with my Android.

android-vs-apple-vs-blackberry

Which smart phone do you own? You can let me know in the comments if it was forced on you by work or whether you chose it voluntarily. I'm very interested to know if anyone is using a Windows phone voluntarily... I've yet to see one in the wild.

Rob

1 vote for iPhone here.
I wouldn't trade if you paid me. When I was promoted recently, they offered to get me a blackberry. I had recently upgraded to the iPhone, so I took a monthly allowance instead.
With all the problems that BB has had in the last year, I am glad I have stayed with Apple.

March 13, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Cbab

Recently switched from an iPhone to an Android. I had the iPhone for 4 years (the same one) and I only hung onto it because it was free.

I don't regret the switch at all. As most of my contacts/email reside with the Goog, the transfer was super simple.

March 13, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Miserable

Stuck with my work issued Blackberry curve and I'm miserable.

All my friends show off the internet and cool apps on their iphones and androids and I'm just an email and bbm guy. :(

March 13, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Andrew

I use an iPhone 4 in Canada on the Rogers network and I use an LG Optimus 2GX in the US on T-Mobile.

I like my iPhone but I love the Android phone - can't wait for the Ice Cream Sammich update soon.

Die hard BB user until the first Torch came out... sad, sad little phone.

I did play with the new version of the Playbook software and I gotta say I was happy and somewhat impressed. Maybe Playbook 2 will be a big surprise.

Cheers,
Andrew

March 13, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

The_Voice

iPhone. That is all.

March 13, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Pete McPhedran

I own the company so forced on/chosen = same to me.

I was a die hard BB user until Christmas 2009. I switched to iPhone reluctantly but with a vengeance. Long story not meant for the Internet.

Like @Rob said, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I gave my guys the choice of phone, we support them all for our hosting customers, so 1/2 went iPhone, 1/2 went Android Galaxy SIIx. Not a single person here chose a BB.

We still have BB's for support purposes, but our daily use phones are split between iPhone and Android.

I also have a Playbook that was given to me by RIM. I found it 95% useless before OS 2.0, it is now 95% useful after the upgrade. Still lacks BIG time in apps as compared to iOS however.

--Pete

March 13, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

brad

galaxy nexus

very happy with android

March 13, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Cheryl

I don't have any of that junk. No phone to carry with me all the time. I don't need any. We got along without that junk in the early years, so we don't need it now. People can leave voice messages or email. That's good enough. Go Habs.

March 13, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

McNulty

IPhone for personal use and a BB for work.

I'd gladly throw the BB into the river.

March 13, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

@Cheryl

I rely on a whole whack of stuff that didn't exist "in the early years". In fact, my career didn't exist.

Go Leafs... I'm now rooting for last.

March 13, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Handsome Rob

iPhone for personal use, BB for work.
Would go exclusively with iPhone if I could.

March 13, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

saadthoughts

Using a Samsung Focus on the Rogers Network. I'm really happy with Windows Phone 7 wouldn't trade it for anything.

It's rare but we're out there, you just got to look harder for us :)

March 13, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

James

iPhone AND a work BB 9900 Love the iPhone BB is OK if you don't like to surf. And i don't have to have my work email on my personal phone.

March 13, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Teunis

iPhone and I would never use anything else.

March 13, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

David

I have an HTC Incredible S running android since last June. I rooted the phone so I'm using an ice cream sandwich ROM. I love it.

Of my coworkers, 3 run android, one has a BB, and the other has a Windows phone and he likes it very much. My daughter has a BB but wants the Galaxy S II next time round.

March 13, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Stephanie

Hey.. I was a die-hard BlackBerry user and lover for years (I got my first in 2005) but I switched (voluntarily) at the end of January to a Windows phone and I LOVE it. I haven't missed the BBM feature but some I know with BB's have missed me having it. I love what Windows does for me. It was my plan to try Windows for a month and try Android for a month.. I'm not even going to bother. Windows is expected to surpass Android market share by 2015. Of course, no one will ever touch the iPhone.

March 13, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Rob

I used the Black Berry Pearl for a few years and just switched from the Bold to the IPhone yesterday.

It is funny, I was willing to accept a lot from my BlackBerry to help support a Canadian company. Their phones are terrible though. My entire family used BlackBerry and each one of us have glitches that prevent us from enjoying our phones fully. Internet surfing is slow and unenjoyable. It's only strong points are e-mails come in like text messages and bbm.

I have heard that the Galaxy Nexus is the best phone on the market. I choose IPhone because I do own and IPad and an ITouch. For one, I have dozens of apps on the ITouch I can put on my phone without having to buy them again (can sell my ITouch now). As well, I can sync my Phone with my IPad with ICloud just making day to day use much easier when buy music and taking photos. The IPhone also has a betetr camera than the Nexus (the phone I was debating between). I do enjoy taking photos at baseball games or of those random memorable moments when you don't have the digital camera around.

March 14, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Boomer

Blackberry Bold for work.

Blackberry = Work
IPhone = Fun and Games

March 14, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

jeff

I gave up the Iphone for a BB torch a month ago and I'm glad I did. How many fart apps does one need, anyway? This is awesome with the Playbook

March 14, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Elba

BB for work, but will likely switch to iPhone very soon. I'm drawn to the extensive iPhone apps.

March 14, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Jacob

I've come off a long line of Nokia phones, and I've got an iPhone 4S now. It's great.

Android is too fragmented, and I don't trust Google all that much anymore. At least Apple is pretty much out in the open with their control issues, whereas Google still plays along with the highly questionable "Do No Evil" catchphrase.

March 14, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

MrFascination

I have An Iphone... I Like It..

Wife Has An Android, It's Good Too But I Prefer The IPhone.

Blackberry Is A Joke Now

March 14, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Irvine

@Boomer

I am a senior IT guy and I can/have administrated Windows servers and CISCO equipment off my iphone and ipad. I can also access a Citrix farm (Xenapp 6)

I can do none of that on BB. The above is all serious work too. If you believe iphone is a toy then you are entirely clueless as to its capabilities.

March 14, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

headsup

I have an iPhone 4s. It has been life-changing with lots of great apps which make the world a lot more accessible for me. Its screen reading software is top-notch. @Cheryl you should look at an iPhone, there are millions of apps, so millions more things for you to complain and be negative about. There may even be an app which can organize your griping for you.

March 14, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Cheryl

I have no need for any of that junk. People leave me messages. I get them later. Go Habs.

March 14, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Stephanie

I find it interesting that we all think of the Blackberry as being 'the phone for business' when really, it's the furthest thing from being able to function for business. Browsing is terrible and if you ever need to look at a Word/PDF or Excel file, good luck. And being a Waterloo grad, I was trying to support the Canadian product. Someone will get the good parts of RIM.. Apple or Microsoft? My bet is on Bill Gates.

March 14, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Cambo

@Cheryl

Yes, you've said the same thing over and over. "No need for any of that junk".

Well, most of us do for business or what have you. So this thread is geared towards that. You're not really adding anything by saying "I have no need." If you don't have a need, feel free not to comment; multiple times in the same thread.

We didn't have a need for electricity "in the early years" either. Nor cars and busses. Look how far those silly inventions got us.

March 15, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

Guillermo Garron

Unfortunately I love the three of them, so I've a bold, a Galaxy Ace and an iPod Touch.

I know thant is weird :)

March 18, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Guillermo Garron

I know thant is weird :)

March 18, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Ben

BlackBerry is a winner for corporate use, and no one will beat it in the near future except for Windows Mobile maybe... It's fitting in very nicely into companies' IT infrastructure/communications. iPhone is a winner for playing games and browsing Internet. Android is not bad either - I prefer it because you are not stuck with one hardware vendor/Company; there is plenty of different smartphones' brands which support Android OS.

April 13, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Abdul Moid

the guy who called blackberry a joke is a joke himself android is a toy for kids who just sit and stare at the wide screens of their delicate equipment and blackberry a phone with hardcore communication capabilities and awesome battery life its gets the job done and does not need to be stared at for hours people who need entertainment can go for tablets or netbooks phone is a phone and it should'nt forget that and as for i phone apple creeps me out as they have alien white designs...

May 26, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Ramiro Martinez

I have been the proud owner of almost all the phones on the market. I had a Droid incredible back when they first came out and hated it because it kept glitching and messing up. I than switched to an iPhone and missed the customization of Android and all the other apps I would use for work. So I held onto the iPhone for about a year and than I switched to a blackberry bold 9650 on Verizon and loved the messaging and how easy it was. After that it broke and they had stopped making it so I got the new bold 9930 and love it!! I have always been a blackberry die hard and ever since I held my bold in my hand I knew I was hooked. People will say that blackberry sucks but its all personal preference. If you want the main apps and a good txting phone than get blackberry, if you love apps and nothing but apps get an iPhone, and if you love customization than choose Android. Fair enough I say

June 4, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

shabalabadingdong

Go la kings

June 12, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Nicky

Personally I prefer iPhone. First of all, I have about 100 apps on my phone, and 25 are iPhone exclusives and the rest are split between being on Android or having cheap, laggy knockoffs on Android. The iPhone has 750,000 apps and they are a lot better and the Android has 600,000 apps and they are less quality. Also iPhone has retina display, making apps, web browsing, watching movies, etc. occur in better quality then the Droid. It also has the best camera and so on an so forth and can have the most GB (up to 64 GB meanwhile Droid can only go to 32 GB). So overall I just find the iPhone a better machine. You may also notice I compared everything on iPhone to Android. The reason? BB is a joke. iMessage is just as good if not better then bbm and BB has no apps

July 1, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Me

I personally like iPhone as it is simple and fun to use. Android has some cool phones though.... I don't car about BB :)

July 6, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

joe seaman

I have both a blackberry curve and an android phone running jelly bean CM10. I like BBM and I use if everyday but really the android phone is far superior. Web browsing is fast and responsive and the UI is slick. I prefer android everyday of the month, its incredibly powerful.

September 6, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

megaroo

My mom is an iPhone user and i use it more than she does just because she can't use it. I am actually debating on whether I should get an android or an iPhone. My friends all have androids and they're pretty awesome but iPhones are pretty cool too. I own a blackberry and all I can say is that I was not happy. The screen cracked 3 months after I got it and I'm not even sure how it happened. On top of that rogers wouldn't do anything about it because they said it was my own fault. I've owned a lot of phones and none of them broke even if I did drop them. BBM constantly shuts down and everyone has upgraded to better smart phones. RIM needs to step it up and produce better products

September 9, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Ben

Firstly, BBM has shut down once, and that was because of a small outage - I bet all of the major networks have outages all of the time, so everyone should quit complaining. Iphones break easily and are very overrated. Windows Phones are slick and nice to use, but a little complicated. Androids have the most apps and are fun and you can get them nice and cheap. Finally, Blackberry - the most secure of them all, and they have great keyboards! The browser has really improved, and BB10 is probably going to reduce the other systems to nothing, or very little. Overall, it depends what you like - but there's no point saying BBs break all of the time when all phones can break, and it's really down to how you treat them. Team andrioid/bb for me!

September 28, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Ben

And one more thing - Iphones have to be jailbroken before you can actually do whatever you want with them, and everyone I know who went from BB to Iphone went back to BB. :)

September 28, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Ben

Lastly, to those who said 'BBs have no apps' - they obviously do. Just saying.

September 28, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Mike

I use blackberry cause I like the keyboard and don't care much for the full touch screen. I use a Bold9900 by the way... A phone is a phone, I play games on my PC, Wii and PS3... Why do I need to play more, stupid games on a tiny device? Like really. The only thing I do not like about my blackberry is because I've unlocked it, that unlocking has cause it now to freeze on the SMS screen where I've have to pop the battery. Its a pain to have to reload the phone.

October 29, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Michael

Well, I guess I am really different. Here's why. I bought an iphone 4s and had it one year and it was okay but that's about all I can say about it. So, I switched to android and have had that phone for 2 weeks and now I am about to swap it for a BB 9900 bold because there is nothing out there as reliable and proven and durable so I have gone FULL CIRCLE. Go figure!!

October 29, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

BB User

Blackberrys. Phones are for calling & texting. Superior speeds on that & email. But Androids & iPhones have far more apps; if you're looking for a fun phone, choose iPhone or Android. If you're looking for a business phone, choose Blackberry. I love my Curve.

November 3, 2012 @ 3:40 AM

Carroll B. Merriman

Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

February 11, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

Carolus

My take on this is that one should check what phone your doctor, lawyer, broker, accountant, tax lawyer or pastor uses before hiring him. Who wants his sensitive data made public? What does your own ultra-secure ICT ecosystem mean to you when your advisors and consultants carry your sensitive data around in an open, unsecured ''data shopping mall.'' Where ''hackers'' (crackers, actually) exploit your consultants' flimsily protected fashion accessory to milk him dry of your personal, proffessional and/or corporate secrets?

Professionals have their sane ICT choices limited down to anything Apple and Blackberry OS7.x. I do not know whether BB10 offers the same immense security as its older siblings. BBOS has been the most secure, by a wide margin, ever since its inception.

Apple offers the most reliable software+hardware combination, all coming from the same womb and, unlike BB, its hardware is the most trouble-free out there.

My own opinion is that following fashion is not even calculated risk-taking but outright gambling with your own life and that of your clientele. Over the past year, malware apps for Android increased by a whopping 615%.

As for the hardware side: Samsung Galaxy's failure rate is six times that of iPhone, with BB somewhere midway in between.

We should pay less attention to flashy cars and luxurious offices but, instead, we should choose our bankers, brokers, doctors and lawyers also on the basis of what technology they are using.

Apple and Blackberry should be the norm whilst on the computer side, use Linux if you cannot afford the Apple Mac environment. Give your ICT ecosystem a higher priority than the badge on your next car.

If you fly aircraft, use an iPad, not an Android tablet, to get your pax safe to their destination.

Apple has consistently been proven to be the most durable and reliable.

July 5, 2013 @ 5:05 AM