CHUM Charts Resurrected

CHUM ChartsOn March 25, 2009, 1050 CHUM became CP24 Radio 1050. I was quick to grab the CHUM Chart for the week I was born because before you knew it the old 1050CHUM.com site was offline.

I remember being pretty ticked about this. I even wrote a plea to CTVglobemedia. If they released the CHUM Charts archive to me, I'd build a site and host them myself. They didn't bite.

I'm pleased to share that http://chumtribute.ca/ is now online and it has most of the old CHUM Charts online. It's a work in progress, so I'm sure they'll all be there soon.

I'm not sure who's behind chumtribute.ca, but it claims to be a "tribute to Allan Waters, the Waters family and everyone who worked at 1050 CHUM as a music station from 1957 until it became TSN 1050." Even they've erased the CP24 Radio experiment from the history books.

twins from bolton

Thanks Mike.

I saved Chum charts for many years & still have them, including the last one printed.

March 24, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

speysidephil

What a great website, many memories. Thanks for sharing.

March 24, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

CQ

Right now, it's an era thing. For just 1957-1975. The bios, for example, list Dick Clark (on a tape - live program for a year in 1963) and not the late John Mahjor.

March 24, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

Irvine

Funny how relics of radios past idolize an adore a Top 40 station from the past. Yet many of those same ppl are first in line to trample modern Top 40 as trite, shallow crap

March 24, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Anonymous

Doug Thompson

March 24, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Globescoper

Doug Thompson, Doug Hall, The Laine family and others are involved with this site. The late Bob Laine was a major player in gathering the archives and working on the site. The site is still in the early stages of development.

March 24, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Cheryl

I should check this out some time. I wonder if Pete Griffin will be on there as well. I remember John Majhor as well.

March 24, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Cheryl

I just checked it out. I can't read the CHUM charts with my speech software though, and no Pete Griffin. Maybe it's no Pete Griffin because he was on FM.

March 25, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

sheldon mitz

Thanks, Mike. This is a great reference source and of course brings back fond memories of childhood. Sheldon

April 23, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Anonymous

Hi, I put a rave for this fabulous site in the tell your stories portion, but now realize this is the place

A treasury of a resource for Canadian music history and a nostalgia feast for anyone who grew up in T.O.

Well done and thank you!

Steve

May 1, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Craig

Dear Toronto Mike,
I am so glad that you spoke to a staff worker of CP24 Radio 1050 about reviving the CHUM music surveys that were eliminated in 2009 simply because you were concered about the sudden disapperance of these surveys. Though this staff resisted to save those surveys and displayed an arrogant attitude, you (Mike) in the end were blessed to the utmost that both the front and back sides of the original CHUM surveys were resurrected to where one can make any of these images bigger to where someone who has 20/200 vision could read that text.
In fact, this revival is far better than the CHUM format that was discarded because whoever established that database had good intentions, but sadly much of the music info was scattered to where many of the weekly surveys had missing positions, and even confusing ones. Thus, that arrogant person ultimately did you a favor three years later, and the CHUM format is much better than it was in its previous format.
Most important, even though you reside in Canada, I strongly feel that you believe in the U. S. Constitution in which the first ammendment indicates that one has the freedom to express one's opinions and concerns without suffering from severe punishment by tyrants. Anyway, I hope that you continue to speak whatever you need to without feeling any guilt.

Enjoy and God bless,
Craig

June 1, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Anonymous

why do I just get an ad for dotster domain names???

June 8, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

roy

I have been using chum charts tribute site for research. On Jan 17 or 18th the weekly charts disappeared with no warning. Does anyone know what happened to them .Thanks Roy

February 6, 2014 @ 7:52 PM

Craig

Dear Roy,
Thru means of the CHUM tribute site, I just tried to access the hit parades of CHUM, and no CHUM hit parade appeared. However, a hit parade website called ARSA About This Site, contains every CHUM hit parade weekly, that is, from May 27, 1957 thru April 26, 1975, that was posted thru the CHUM tribute site even though not every image of these hit parades is posted in ARSA. This ARSA website also contains most of the remaining CHUM hit parades from May 3, 1975 until the final hit parade of June 14, 1986.
Over the past year, thru the means of the 1050 CHUM Memorial Blog, I have accurately completed all the CHUM hit parades that are not currently posted in ARSA. If you desire to have any more info of the available CHUM hit parades, please feel free to contact me at gannatuccio@gmail.com
Craig

February 20, 2014 @ 8:26 PM

roy

Thank you Craig for the info on ARSA .It is a bit hard to follow it but able to get top hits ,however the lesser hits would be nice as the chum charts had . I tried CKOC station but they only have top 100 and 500. I will keep on looking Thanks again.

March 17, 2014 @ 8:59 AM

Anonymous

Dear Roy,
In response to your question which concerns what had happened to all the images of the CHUM hit parades from May 27, 1957 thru April 26, 1975, all these hit parades are still accessible and viewable, but you need to go to this specific website, which is http://chumtribute.ca/, then click the TIMELIINE icon, which is located at the top of this page, and you will be directly accessed to these hit parades. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at gannatuccio@gmail.com
Craig

April 24, 2014 @ 10:09 AM

Anonymous

Dear Roy,
Even though I gave you info to access the CHUM hit parades, I do not believe that I rendered you more accurate instructions where you can view each CHUM hit parade. Here are the steps to access the CHUM hit parades:

1. Go to the http://chumtribute.ca/
2. At the top of this page, click the TIMELINE icon.
3. When you reach this page, you will be taken to the 1950s page where you will have access to view the CHUM hit parades of the 1950s.
4. In the View CHUM charts radio-dial section, you will notice that the 1950 thru 1956 tabs will not be clickable simply because no CHUM hit parade existed at that time. However, the 1957 thru 1959 tabs will be clickable. When you click the 1957 tab, you will be able to view all the hit parades of 1957. If you want to view the hit parades of 1958 or 1959, please click these individual tabs .
5. If you want to view the CHUM hit parades of the 1960s, you must go to the rectangular section where you will see the decade numbers, such as 1950, 1960, 1970, 1980 and 1990.
6. Click between 1960 and 1970 and you will be taken to the 1960 thru 1969 tabs. If you want to view a CHUM hit parade of 1965, click the 1965 tab.
7. If you want to view the CHUM hit parades of the 1970s, click between 1970 and 1980, and you will be able to access all the CHUM hit parades of 1970 thru 1975. The 1976 thru 1979 tabs will not be clickable because the take-home CHUM hit parades were discontinued after April 26, 1975.
8. If you want to view the CHUM charts from May 3, 1975 thru June 14, 1986, you will have to go to the ARSA music survey site.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at gannatuccio@gmail.com
Craig

April 24, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Anonymous

Dear Twins of Bolton,
I praise that you saved and maintained a great deal of CHUM hit parades that were publically distributed in the form of a brochure. I have one question: After the CHUM hit parades were no longer available in the brochure form, did you by any chance save the CHUM hit parades of May 1975 thru December 1976 that were available thru the Toronto Sun newspaper? If not, do you know anyone who has these hit parades in either forms of images? If you do, please notify me whenever you can because your cooperation will be tremendously appreciated.
Craig

April 24, 2014 @ 9:47 PM

roy

Anonymous Thank you very much for your info on the chum charts. I did find a website hits of all decades.com It has the top 20,however some of the numbers are incorrect but at least its something. Best wishes to all and thanks again.

April 26, 2014 @ 1:44 PM

Anonymous

Dear All Members Listed Above,
I realize that the elimination of the CHUM hit parades that occurred the 25 March 2009 had greatly concerned many long-time CHUM listeners. However, the way in which the data-base was organized had contained numerous errors in the majority of the CHUM hit parades. I do not know whether the creator(s) of this data base had not structured the proper number of rows and columns to hold such data or the creator(s) had rushed this process and that the end result of this procedure did not precisely match the original CHUM hit parade data that was distributed to record shops.
Even though a site called the CHUM tribute website contains most of the images of the original hit parades from 27 May 1957 to 26 April 1975, all the 1516 CHUM hit parades that were published from 27 May 1957 until 14 June 1986 are posted to a music website which is called the ARSA database. Furthermore, all the data of these hit parades are accurately complete. If anyone wants to utilize this site, the best way to reach this site is to type ARSA about this site and click these words from which you will be directed to this site. At the left section of this page, click STATIONS which will bring you to the radio stations page. Then, in the text box, which immediately follows Station Call or City, type CHUM and you will be brought to the page that displays CHUM 1050 and CHUM 104.5 stations. Finally, click CHUM which precedes 1050 and you will see every 1516 CHUM 1050 hit parades.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at gannatuccio@gmail.com.

June 10, 2014 @ 11:23 AM

george

I have been doing some research on the tribute site re timeline and the chum charts have disappered again . Does anyone have any idea where i can get them back site other then arsa one .Thank you all for your help. George chart fan

June 27, 2015 @ 5:58 PM

Ellis

I am working on a massive project which will take me into next year or the year after. For it I am using the Chum Chart book and the Chum Charts. When Chum was still on the air I printed out all the Chum Charts. However, I noticed that the book and the charts aren't always in sync, and with some of the charts there are missing entries.

If I use the original site for the charts I used before it now just takes me to a TSN page. When I follow the new steps to view the charts the page just sits there with a message saying 'Loading Charts' but nothing ever happens.

August 7, 2015 @ 6:30 PM

Brian

I loved having the chum chart images on the tribute site but now there is only a background page when I click on the chart year links. I hope to see them back again soon. I know this was a lot of work to post up and I hate to think this work is lost to us fans.

October 4, 2015 @ 7:39 PM

Marty Fialkow

I was a Chum Chart collector too. Not sure why I cannot access the chumtribute charts anymore. I hope someone gets all the charts back online again. Email me at martyfialkow1954@yahoo.ca

December 25, 2015 @ 6:34 PM

John A Mazara

I was 14 when I started collecting chum charts (1957) but missed several - would sure like to access them again!

August 15, 2016 @ 3:02 PM

Erik Alm

The site

is no longer active

May 17, 2017 @ 6:09 PM

Doug Thompson

All the CHUM charts are back as well as photos, bios and stories from the OFFICIAL CHUM Archives.

chumtribute.com

May 30, 2017 @ 2:53 AM

Brady

Anyone have Chum Charts from the 90s/00s?

I've seen some archives

April 11, 2019 @ 10:29 PM

Dawn Keibals

@ Brady..I have many from the mid 60's if that helps you..

April 12, 2019 @ 12:35 AM