Piracy Is The New Radio

Piracy Is The New RadioI friggin' love Neil Young, so when he talks, I listen.

Neil Young had some very interesting things to say on the stage of D: Dive into Media the other day.

"Young is calling for a new digital ecosystem of high quality music files and he believes that Jobs would have gotten there had he lived long enough. On the distribution side, Young isn't particularly concerned with the effects of piracy on artists, he's more concerned that the files that are being shared are of such low quality:"

It doesn't affect me because I look at the internet as the new radio. I look at the radio as gone. [...] Piracy is the new radio. That's how music gets around. [...] That's the radio. If you really want to hear it, let's make it available, let them hear it, let them hear the 95 percent of it.

I think he's right on point. Piracy is the new radio. There's no point fighting it, you may as well embrace it.

What do you think?

MrFascination

I Agree and disagree.. Yes its the new form of getting the music out, but you can't compare the quality of taping a song off the radio vs downloading it.

Yes artist's must embrace this new media - use it to their advantage. The truth is, record sales have been suffering because people don't release albums anymore... Most "artist" release singles with a bunch of other crap on the album. Their are very few artist's that have the talent to actually produce a solid album.

Produce a solid album and it will sell. Either at the record store or thru the net.

It also doesn't help that these "artist's" can reproduce their sound in concerts either.... Ever see 50cent or Jay-Z in concert? Its painful!. Even Rihanna can't sell out average size venue's.

February 2, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

The Grate One

Unbeknownst to both Neil and yourself file sharing MP3s has plummetted. Streaming bandwidth accounts for the highest use of bandwidth on the net aka ppl watch youtube to hear music

February 2, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Well, Radio isn't radio any more. I haven't heard illegal downloads are in decline, although I'm sure on-line streaming is on the rise. I suspect we're all using more and more bandwidth as our devices and machines improve.

I get 300GB a month at home and 6GB on my phone. I'm using more and more of it all the time, although I've never really come close to either cap.

I need to sync, baby... and that requires a file.

February 2, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

The Grate One

File sharing has declined and less than 10% of ppl download music. Netflix is the largest source of bandwidth. People stopped stealing music and started to listen to it on Youtube. It's more efficent and ensures you get a decent copy of the song. Ipod sales are also way down

February 2, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

@The Grate One

Would you mind pointing me to proof that illegal MP3 downloads have plummeted?

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but you can't believe everything you read on the internet, especially if it's only attributed to The Grate One.

February 2, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

The Grate One

Well if want to fly to Calgary and read the paper article do so. Meet me at the Palomino Smokehouse and use the password Cisco-ccnp

This is somewhat common knowledge but you won't hear the record industry mention it. It would defeat their propoganda.

But be unscienctific. ask your readers.

BTW. Dinner at the Palo is on me. Try the bacon wrapped corn on the cob. An a bottle of Traditional. And admire the 20 foot foto of John Cash on the wall

- a link state guy

February 2, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

Rob

People might be using YouTube to listen to music, but they're probably using a client to rip the music to their HDD.

One report I could find said that P2P d/l'ing did decline when Limewire shutdown, but other programs use increased. Not enough to make up the difference as Limewire was used by almost 60% of all p2p users.

February 2, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Rob said what I was going to comment on, my teenage daughter and her friends are just ripping it from the youtube videos and putting it on their Ipods now.

February 2, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Digger

I've downloaded plenty in the past ten or so years, but too much of that downloading gave me exposure to a lot of great music and TV shows that never made it over to our side of the big oceans. I also ended up spending hundreds (thousands(?)) on CDs and DVDs because I wanted to own the real items and ultimately support the artists that I truly enjoyed.

February 2, 2012 @ 9:32 PM