Somebody That I Used to Know

Somebody That I Used to KnowWalk off the Earth's YouTube video for Somebody That I Used to Know is everywhere these days. I'm sure you've seen and heard it by now, but if you haven't, here it is.

It's a fantastic tune. I love it, and can't get enough of it, but it doesn't belong to Burlington's Walk off the Earth. It's a cover of Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know, featuring Kimbra.

Here's the original, because it's highly unlikely you've seen this.

Gotye's from Australia and this tune won him a few ARIA awards. ARIA is the Australian Juno or Grammy, I gather. Thanks to Walk off the Earth, this cool tune is finally getting heard on this side of the world.

Al

I love both versions of this song...but you're right I wouldn't have discovered Gotye's version if it hadn't been for WOTE. I've also become a fan of WOTE because of their youtube videos. I think they received 4 million views in a couple of days because of it...now they're at 23 million! Not since OK GO have I seen such a huge response to a youtube band. Good on them! They deserve it!

January 16, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

JP

"Here's the original, because it's highly unlikely you've seen this."

I saw the cover version first, but the original does have double the views now..

January 16, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Ryan G

To each his own I suppose.

I don't get the appeal at all.
For me it's one of those songs I'll put in the same category as Third Eye Blind's Semi Charmed Life.

It's one of those songs I dislike immediately.

January 17, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Lorne

Cool videos. For some reason, I can see the original version being on the soundtrack for a Tarantino movie.

January 17, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Douglas

ARIAs are indeed Australia's equivalent to Canada's Junos. Thanks to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Triple J network of stations (new artists and music for Australia's youth - and young at heart in music taste), Gotye gained exposure and earned his breakout across Australia and then overseas. He made the "Hottest 100" in 2010. Many very successful Australian artists, Midnight Oil, for example, can thank TripleJ for helping them get exposure and build their success. A Canadian TripleJ would be fantastic for Canada's music artists and industry.

"Somebody I Used to Know" charted in 2011 in many countries outside Australia. American alt-rock stations were adding the song late last year. Not that we would have known that or the song in the Toronto area. For most, it took Walk Off the Earth to do the job.

I like Walk Off the Earth (a friend of mine is friends with Gianni), I give them credit for their work and like their cover of "Somebody I Used to Know" better than the original. Good on 'em for their hard work and for being ready to run with the exposure and opportunity their cover video has given them. Whether you like this particular song or not, you may want to check out other songs the group has done.

Gotye's video may have double the views, but it was released in the summer, the song has has international radio play for months, etc. Walk Off the Earth? Mere days, in comparison. I wish them the success they seek.

January 17, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Mike from Lowville

"G", The guy in the middle is a very good friend of my oldest. Check out his "Magic" and "Grenade" covers on U Tube. It really shows the talent of this guy.

January 17, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

speyside phil

Great talent, great song made better by WOTE.

January 17, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Great cover and the original is pretty cool too. Nice to see some alternative rock getting some main stream exposure. WOTE is a talented lot, check out the other videos of Gianni and Sarah Blackwood.

January 18, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Gotye's version has grown on me!!

January 19, 2012 @ 9:06 PM