Mad Men and The Falling Man

I love Mad MenI love Mad Men. To promote the new season that kicks off March 25, they've released artwork showing a man in a suit falling.

madmen

If you've ever watched Mad Men, you know that falling man is from the title sequence. Here it is:

Some are suggesting the new Mad Men poster is too reminiscent of The Falling Man from 9/11. The Falling Man is a photograph taken by Associated Press photographer Richard Drew of a man falling from the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

The_Falling_Man

This is much ado about nothing. The Mad Men promo is pure Mad Men, and pretty cool. I don't believe it's trying to mimic 9/11 imagery. What do you think?

I can't wait until March 25.

andrew

Much ado about nothing??
Really!!

A picture of someone committing suicide on 9/11 when so many people died.

January 29, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

CQ

I would have preferred never stumbling across one of those 9/11 falling victims images. Until now I succeeded and without effort.
For instance: you could have just used a pop culture reference to David Bowie's Jump video of 1991/2.

January 29, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

@andrew

Now, now. You know that's not what I'm referring to...

The Mad Men poster controversy is much ado about nothing.

January 29, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

andrew

Then why make the connotation?

My problem is showing the 9/11 pic.

January 29, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Argie

Great show. Draper is the embodiment of a life without God - aimless, no moral compass and never happy.

Many people today could learn from his story.

The man falling represents his decent into hell (i.e. a life without God).

January 29, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Becca

Falling Man is good and 'symbolic' and what-not, but a more accurate homage to the show, IMO, would be the Office Bar.

Can I get one too?

January 29, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

Mississauga Phil

THat's the problem with Americans. THey'll carpet bomb, or napalm the hell out of an enemy city, but the moment anyone says anything that's even remotly close to 9/11, or any american tragedy, they get their back up.

THIS IS A PROMO FOR A TV SHOW WHICH USES A FALLING MAN AS THIER OPENING CREDITS...IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11. PLEASE FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO WITH YOUR TIME OTHER THAN BEING INSULTED BY NOTHING!!!!!

January 30, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Rob

I love Mad Men, and I don't at all see the falling man as a 9/11 reference at all. And why would the Mad Men people want that anyway? Its one thing to have something subliminal that is 'sexy' in an ad...but a national tragedy? I find it hard to believe that they are trying to channel that at all.

On a side note, I wonder how 'serious' I can take Don Draper this year. I have been catching up on 30Rock, and Hamm's job as Liz Lemons boyfriend was great. Totally opposite from Draper.

January 30, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

Icarus

9/11 is over 10 years passed.

Its time to move on people...

Also Argie, you couldn't be more wrong. It has nothing to do with god. That is what YOU see, due to your own bias. In exactly the same way as the 9/11 people.

The one thing we can all agree on is that if people are arguing about its' meaning then its art.

January 30, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

Lorne

It's actually a jumping man. You're holding your screen upside down.

January 30, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

American Pride

Move on? We still mourn Pearl Harbor 70 years later and counting all right? That was a military target and had a lesser loss of life..

Taught them quite the lesson almost 4 years later tho.

March 2, 2012 @ 11:25 PM