Joe Paterno, Dead at 85

In MemoriumJoe Paterno was 85. He was head coach of the Penn State Nittany Lions for 46 years from 1966 through 2011, accumulated 409 wins, the most in NCAA Division 1 history.

Dave Williams

It is a sad day for the Paterno family in more than one day. The Paterno familiy lost their patriarch today, they also have to live with the fact that Joe Paterno was used as a scapegoat for the actions of others. Joe Paterno was told a situation by one of his assistant coaches more than ten yers ago and he did what most of us would have did, he reported it to his direct report. For following what would be protocol in Canada, Joe Paterno was eventually fired. I am no police officer, but, should the assistant coach who claimed to have witnessed the event gone directly to the police in this situation?
My understanding is that Mr. Sandusky was investigated by the University sometime after this event and that the coach who witnessed the event was still employed by the university at the time of the internal investigation. If that was indeed the case, shouldn't it be the universities obligation to atleast share their findings with the police at that point in time?
I do realize that Joe Paterno's name held quite a bit of weight at the institution, but, the only thing that Joe Paterno did wrong in this event was trusting that the people he reports to, do their job. Hopefully his family fights to restore this mans good name.

January 22, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

elvis

Good riddance you old jackass. It doesn't take a genius to know the welfare of children trumps a the good name of a football program.

January 22, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Dave Williams

Elvis, I suppose you know all the facts in this case as you obviously seem to think that Joe Paterno is the judge, jury and executioner in State College, Pa. The man did more for education in the state of Pennsylvania than anyone in history. Mr. Paterno has helped more children grow into outstanding citizens than your limited little mind could imagine. The man was an icon, and he should be remembered as one.

January 22, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

elvis

You can do all you want for education - shoot - you could be the greatest teacher of all time and the minute you don't do everything you can to stop child abuse/rape, you're scum.

January 22, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

Gump

So disappointed that there are still Paterno apologists. If you've read anything about the absolute power that the football program holds over a big college, you'll know that the football coach is *the* most powerful man on campus, bigger than the president. The key is the money. The money generated by the football program for the university knows no bounds. So to now excuse his "I've done what I can, I've told my superiors" is bull****. The buck stopped with him. And he didn't do anything. He may have helped hundreds but he absolutely contributed to the absolute destruction of 10s of boys.
Great coach. Absolutely. Great man, no.

January 22, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Dave Williams

Gump, you may be right that Joe Paterno was in a sense, the most powerful man on campus, he however did have bosses to answer to as we all do. The person who claimed to witness the incident "Mike McQueary" should have been responsible to report this to the police period. You can spin this Sandusky situation any way you want, but the key thing is that Joe Paterno did his job by reporting third party information to his superiors.
I pray for people like Gump and Elvis, people like you two that make conclusions by simply judging a story from the newspaper attention grabbing headlines are the reason why negative press sells more than actual documented news. In the future try not to get your news from grocery store tabloids and dig deeper before you attempt to give an opinion.

January 23, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

Gump

@Dave, I've read the Grand Jury Indictment. I know of what I speak.
The bottom line is that he didn't do his job. Don't pass the buck on judging him just like he did in not doing anything to stop the abuse.

January 24, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Gump

Oh, and by the way, thanks for all the effort put in defending JoePa. And absolutely no effort (not one word) talking about the real victims here... the kids who were abused.
Glad your priorities are set properly.

January 24, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Zach

@Dave, "he did what most of us would have did, he reported it to his direct report."

See, if I knew little boys were getting diddled in the ass, and my supervisor I told just swept it under the rug, I'd call the cops or media. Not be a punk bitch who doesn't want his career effected so assume by telling my boss everything was peachy.

Seriously Dave, how can you say he took the course of action "most of us would have"?

January 28, 2012 @ 10:36 AM