Am I A Leafs Jinx?

leafsI should preface this entry by stating that I don't believe in jinxes. I don't believe that anything I do can influence my team's play on the ice, despite the fact I used to send my 'vibes' to Maple Leaf Gardens in the early-to-mid 80s and I'm sure that may have helped the Leafs sweep Chicago in '86.

So I don't believe in jinxes or karma or any of that, so this entry is actually about coincidence.

Early in 2012, I went to Germany. With the 6-hour time difference and lack of Leafs games on my hotel cable TV package, I didn't see a minute of Leafs action. When I returned, the Leafs were on a 4-game win streak.

Since I've come back, I've watched 3 games. We lost all three in regulation.

jinx

Am I a Leafs jinx? Of course not. I'm not the reason they haven't made the Stanley Cup finals in my lifetime. It's just a coincidence, trust me.

elvis

You are a jinx but amazingly, you may have found a way to reverse it.

Another option is to openly cheer for the opposition. It worked for me in Vancouver - Canada won gold.

January 18, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Jinx is an archaic term.
You are a "cooler", someone who has the innate ability to change the luck of a streaking sports franchise just by associating yourself with said team.
I'm not suggesting you move to Ottawa or Boston, but Boston Mike has a nice ring to it. Might even get you a shot on Survivor. Just say'in...
Also an excellent movie with William H. Macy,and Alec Baldwin.

January 18, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Mississauga Phil

I think that before we talk Jinx, we need to talk coaching. I think that our beloved Leafs are doing as well as they are in spite of Ron Wilson, not because of him.... but with his old college roomie running the show, I think Wilson is here until the higher ups tell Burke "You fire Wilson, or we'll find someone who will"

January 18, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

andrew

Just a coincidence that every time you praise the Leafs they start losing?

Burkie & Wilson are the same as Toolman Taylor & Wilson, a tandem. Too bad it was Home Improvement not Team Improvement.

The next 3 games are all winnable for sure & will tell the tale of Ronnie's coaching future even though he signed a new contract at Xmas.

If problems arise, Carlyle is next in line with Burke's previous coach in Anaheim, which would be WORSE.

January 18, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

David

Naw, you're not a jinx. Just like the winter weather, the yearly Leaf swoon just came a month or two late.

January 18, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Sammi

Yes...you are a jinx. Start writing positive blogs about the opposition before each Leaf game. It just might work.

January 18, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Cheryl

My Habs are losing lots as well. The Capitols are beating them 2 to 0 after a period. This sucks. Go Habs.

January 18, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Pigeon Toed Dave

No Mike it is not you but Burke and Wilson. With this tag team they have to be out of the playoff's before they start their annual run for nothing. That is usually in mid Feb when they start to put together a winning streak which takes them to the end of the year to once again miss out on the top draft pick.

January 19, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

Ron Wilson

Mike, are you sure, you don't have another vacation coming up...my future with the team, could be in jeopardy!

January 19, 2012 @ 8:06 AM