The Comedy Network Logo Switcheroo

humourMy favourite blog for branding, Brand New, tells me our Comedy Network has been re-branded.

Here's the before and after Comedy Network logos.

comedy

As silly as the old logo was, the new one is simply too simple. It's the word "comedy" in lower case Gill Sans Ultra font. Nothing more. It's encouraging in that it's a logo I could have designed myself, but not the tour de force Bell Media would have you believe it is. Here's an excerpt from the press release.

Simple yet limitless in its potential use, the fun and colourful new branding for Comedy allows for the channel’s personalities to be integrated into applications of the new elements. […]

“Our ultimate goal with this rebrand is to develop a new look that’s fresh, spirited and has the versatility to work on every platform,” said Jon Arklay, Vice-President, Creative and Brand, Bell Media Agency. “Be it on-air, in print or on digital platforms, this is a new image that connects us with comedy in all media.”

Now that's comedy!

Sammi

They probably paid an agency a ton of money to come up with this and the usual textbook jargon that goes with it.

November 2, 2011 @ 9:54 AM

Quinny.

I miss the Mike Bullard Show 6-times-a-day

November 2, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

CQ

Toronto Mike's logo is way better!
The Comedy logo is just plain black lettering.
If I were Bell Media, I would have made the first (or first three) characters the same shade of blue that Bell uses. Then I would have given a small lower portion Gold colouring throughout; and then reverse the scheme for Comedy Gold.

November 2, 2011 @ 5:20 PM

NW

I thought Bell Media already had a comedy channel with CP24. They have other ones?

November 2, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Thats not funny. Logo sucks,as Sammi said. Reminds me of Emperors new clothes story LOL.

Are more people going to watch because of this change?

November 2, 2011 @ 9:33 PM

Marc

It looks like someone just wrote the word "comedy" on MSPaint and did some fiddling around with it. Pretty lazy.

November 3, 2011 @ 1:36 AM

Rob

Stinker!
As much as that old logo needed a facelift, that new (I hate even calling that a logo)...design, is terrible.

November 3, 2011 @ 9:44 AM

McNulty

I think Ryan made this. The logo doesn't have a captial letter.

November 3, 2011 @ 10:18 AM

Pat MaGroin

@ NW
Hi my name is Pat
I have been off cp24 for 1 month & 3 days
And I feel wonderful !!

November 3, 2011 @ 4:37 PM

Jason Patterson

There's nothing funny about that stupid logo. Wait, is that the joke?

November 3, 2011 @ 6:05 PM

Nathan

I do not like the new logo. Or the new style that came with it. I also do not like the fact that they call it Comedy, instead of the comedy network like the before. The colors are very bland and ugly, yellow and purple XP. Also I remember when they had clip on their commercials to show them off now it is just the name and time and some stock music.
I also have a proposal why don't they make a new channel with the old promos as if they were new and only use shows made by the comedy network them selves( they would also use the old logo) it channel would be called "The Comedy Network"(Original programming) and the channel would only broadcast shows like Puppets who kill, Corner Gas, and Odd job jack. just to name a few.
(by the way I'm twelve)