Always Fight Your Traffic Tickets in Court

justiceI was in traffic court this afternoon. I arrived at 2700 Eglinton just before 1:30 and was out of there by 2pm. If you get a traffic ticket, for speeding or failing to stop at a stop sign or anything at all, always go to court.

I've heard stories about people's charges being dropped because the police officer failed to show up at court, but my police office has always shown up. Every time without failure I've plead guilty to a lesser charged, paid a smaller fine and gone on my way. That's every time until today...

Today, both my charges were dropped. I was ninth before the judge, and witnessed the first eight plead guilty to lesser offences. I was prepared to do the same, and was quite surprised when the Crown withdrew both charges. Today was my lucky day.

court

If you voluntarily pay the full amount for a traffic ticket and incur the demerit point reductions, you're a fool. Toronto Mike says always fight your traffic tickets in court.

Kojak

I fought once, and it was a lousy experience. I waited in a large room until some smarmy 20 something crown attorney called my name. She came over to me, used the window sill as a desk, regurgitated the charge and said "guilty or not guilty?" No explanation accepted, and when I tried she simply repated "guilty or not guilty?"

Not what I had hoped for...Why did they withdraw your charges?

November 16, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

@Kojak

That sounds like a bad experience for you. In my experience, even when you're guilty the Crown says $60 or whatever and you have 30 days or more to pay. The face value of the ticket is always more.

They didn't tell me why they withdrew my charges. My best guess is that they were such minor infractions. When the judge said I was free to leave, I bolted!

November 16, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

Ryan G

Back in the olden times, you used to be able to go to a JP if you wanted to plead guilty with an explanation.

One day around 1996 I got pulled over and the prick of a cop handed over seven tickets all at once, total damage about $750.

(Notice how it's the cop's fault I was speeding, didn't have my license on me, missing one of my plates,etc)

Anyway, I went to some stuffy old office at city hall and the door was slightly ajar when i went to the meeting.

I peeked in before going in, and this old crusty JP was sitting behind a desk, and he was actually sleeping. I knew then it was my lucky day.

He killed all of the tickets except one, and he even reduced it, so I ended up only having to pay thirty bucks or so.

Sweet!

(oh..forgot to add - I had to take a shower with him too)

November 16, 2011 @ 3:42 PM

Sammi

Buy a lottery ticket!

November 16, 2011 @ 5:07 PM

Mike from Lowville

My niece borrowed my car one Sunday this summer, went to Toronto. About 3 weeks later I get a summons for $450! She parked in a handicapped parking spot. She still owe me $75. I guess she should have fought it. That's the last time I lend my car.

November 16, 2011 @ 5:45 PM

Rick C in Oakville

This will be a bit lengthy but the message is the same as Mike's.
My son received a speeding ticket about 5 years ago, when he was 16/17. He had no choice to fight it as he had a minor accident on our insurance and this was going to make his rates zoom, or worst have him dropped.
Seems the cop did not reduce the ticket at the road side (there is a marking on the ticket to tell if it was) but he told my son that there weren't any points lost as they were doing a public warning program, so just pay the fine. Son pays fine then he gets a warning letter from MTO that because he is not a full fledged driver that he could lose his driving priviliges on the demerit points his ticket had ! Anyways cop had put 18 Km's over and not 15kms. We went to the JP, and told him the cop had told him no points lost, and since we had already paid the ticket he had to recall it and have the court set a date.

Months go by finally get a notice to appear in Milton court, go to court and the first thing we do is head up to see the crown, to explain the situation. She asks the judge for time to ask for the cops notes, and it turns out this is the wrong court for this case, a whole bunch of impaireds are being processed ahead of ours, so we are told to go home and wait for notification of the next to appear.

Several months go by again, get a notice to appear in Burlington this time. Head down and same ploy, see the crown first before court starts, she tells us cop never responded to notes request and between Milton and Burlington courts the paper work was lost LMFAO!!. She said that she was motioning the charges be tossed and all would be stricken from the record!
Took about 6 more months to get his ticket refund but worth the wait. He has been ticket free since and is now on his own insurance so it would hit him personally.

The key is to see the crown before court proceeds, cause once you are before the judge there is no negotiating. I saw many poor schlep wait until they were called to unfortunately have wasted their time as the judge would just give them the ticket they received, he told them time for negotiation was past, and they should have seen the crown.
I know it was a colossol waste of the courts time and my own but the cash savings could easily have been a couple of grand over the next 5 years if he hadn't beat it.

November 16, 2011 @ 7:51 PM

Pigeon Toed Dave

The judge looks at name in front of him and mumbles. Are you the same Toronto Mike from the Humble and Fred Radio Show. Mr. Boon says-- yes sir I am.
Judge says-- charges dropped and keep up the good work.

November 17, 2011 @ 7:35 AM

Boomer

OR to quote Jim Carrey in Liar Liar....."stop breaking the law asshole!"

November 17, 2011 @ 8:09 AM

Mississauga Phil

My girlfiend (now wife) and I got pulled over in burlingotn when we went out to celebrate her pregnancy 5 years ago. It took a year to get in front of the judge, at which point we had the little bundle of joy with us. My wife had to come as she was a witness, but our son started screaming so she left the courtroom. When I got called up the judge asked me if I had any witnesses and I explained that my wife was out in the lobby trying to calm down my sno and could we have some time, maybe let someone go head of us. She smiled at me (she probable had grandkids herself) and told me not to worry and dropped the charges. The crown starts freaking out at which point the judge interuppted and asked if the crown was questioning her discretion...the crown slumped down in his chair and pouted....BEST JUDGE EVER!!

November 17, 2011 @ 8:10 AM

McNulty

Quite franky, I think it is bullshit.

You broke the law and were looking for a way around it. Pay the damn ticket and be done with it. If you don't like it, don't speed.

It's no wonder our court system is so clogged. People fighting tickets that they know they are guilty of.

I got a speeding ticket 4 years ago. I did it. I know I did it and the cop should have ticketed me.
I paid the fine. I wasn't a fool, I took responsibility for my actions.

November 17, 2011 @ 8:35 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ McNulty - I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case, I was not speeding, I made a right at the same time as a simialr car to mine drove by in the outside lane and the cop pulled me over saying I was going 80 in a 60...I went to court with pics of the intersection and OEM reports on my car, it would have been physically impossible for my car to get to 80kph in the distance that i had drove before the cop pulled me over..I ended up not needing the info b/c the judge sided with me right way, but I was innocent nonetheless.

November 17, 2011 @ 11:24 AM

MrFascination

The court system is a joke. Spend a day there and watch at the Bullshit that goes on... You have lawyers agreeing to drop charges because the other lawyer owes them a favour... You have people the getting off charges because the lab drug tests were not back yet. Its a joke!

November 17, 2011 @ 1:20 PM

Bob

@TO - pay the friggin' fine next time, you corrupt weasel!p.s.- probably won't post this polite comment!

November 17, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

Jason Patterson

The trick is to ask for the trial in French. The cop won't show up. What cop can master two languages?

Not that I support motorists trying to get off tickets..

November 18, 2011 @ 9:20 AM

HardcastleMcCormick

It might be no problem to take time off and wait in court all day if you're a blogger, but anyone working a 40+ hour week can tell, sometimes it ends up costing you more trying to fight a $60, and I'd much rather spend my time off doing something fun with the family

November 23, 2011 @ 2:36 AM

@HardcastleMcCormick

Blogger is not my job...

November 23, 2011 @ 8:56 AM

irene

I fractured my fee and was using crutches an a cask on my foot. I parked on the disable parking in front of the pharmacy and got a ticket. I have the medical certificate detailed restricted walking. Do I have a chance incourt?

November 10, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

@irene

Dollars to donuts they throw out your case when you tell them your story.

Yes, you're guilty, but they're pretty reasonable when you go to court with a story like that.

November 10, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Montrealer

Do you usually go with Option 2 (early resolution - meet with prosecutor) or Option 3 (trial)?

I just got a ticket in Toronto for failure to yield to a pedestrian at cross over. I'm from Montreal and have never seen these pedestrian cross overs before. All it looked like was the man was hailing a cab, not about to cross the street.

I'm going to contest the ticket but don't know if I should go with Option 2 or 3. Thoughts?

January 5, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Billy

Hey Toronto Mike,

Glad to see someone has given great advice on what to do when given a ticket or have any involvement with the police.

I'm studying law right now and just a note to anyone (personal opinion not legal), fighting anything in court is always better than just pleading guilty. Why plead guilty? - Although, I've have my morals and values set straight, the fact is not whether you commit an offense or not but whether or not the crown did everything correctly.

The crown must not only prove you commit the offense but give you DISCLOSURE within a reasonable amount of time upon request. DISCLOSURE is a significant part in getting a traffic ticket, it is the crown's EVIDENCE against you.

ALSO - if you were charged under the criminal code of Canada (i.e. DUI, Possession)- You should refer to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms - Making sure the police officer did his/her job correctly, along with any other government body.

Just my two cents,

B.

January 27, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

Kate

Hi, for all those who think we should just pay any fine that traffic/parking officers hand out, here is my story. I assist my 85 year old mother, who is the holder of a legal disability permit. She requires assistance to walk and assistance with memory - finding offices for example.
I recently accompanied her to her dentist and stopped in an 'on-street loading zone for persons with a disability' to assist her from the car, to the office of her dentist. I returned immediately to the car and found a $450.00 ticket on the windshield. The parking officer must have actually been watching me as I physically assisted my mobility-impaired mother into the building. The timing on the ticket was 12:39, the appointment was for 12:40.......sigh.
Now I have to go and sort this out, -costing me time, parking fees and gas. This is just one of the many brutalities Torontonians suffer at the hands of the green hornets.
I am not corrupt, nor trying to 'use' the system. I simply would like to be able to rely on fair judgement at the hands of those who can so easily frustrate and inconvenience us.

April 18, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Jessica Canelli

If you are going to fight your ticket in traffic court, it is best to have representation. Although it seems to be minor, traffic tickets can cause more problems for you then you may seem. Going to court on your own and attempting to get the fine or points reduced is like playing the lottery. It really is a fluke if they give you an amazing deal. And sometimes, they make it sound like a good deal but your insurance company will not see it the same way. I personally attempted to represent myself in court many times, and without the knowledge of the POA court system, it was near impossible to present the correct information to the prosecutor in order to successfully have my ticket withdrawn completely. I for one screwed my self and my driving record because of my attempt to "save" money by not hiring an experienced professional. Later I was fortunate enough to be put in touch with a Paralegal who was able to re-open and fix my tickets that I foolishly got myself convicted on. I was recommended a place in Toronto/ Vaughan called Street Legal. These guys ROCK! Although it ended up costing me some coin, the long run was very good results. They were able to fight my tickets that I messed up, along with some new ones :S.. they were able to withdraw all of them! They worked their magic that's right! I recommend these paralegals to anyone who wants easy, successful and very customer service oriented representation. They treated me like an individual, not just another client... most defiantly the right choice.

June 10, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Mike

Just hung up with prosecutor, I was allowed to call in at a set time as I live more than 75km from the courthouse.
Before I can even begin to tell my sob story, she tells me the ticket has a fatal error and that it will be quashed.
I bet they would have taken my money and demerits if I'd plead guilty. This way I feel that the officer has learned a lesson and will be more careful when writing tickets in the future.

July 18, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Jason

I have a nice little story to share, and I am still trying to decide on the best course of action.
Put most simply, I drove a lowered Mazda MX-6, red and shiny and beautiful. I may drive a sports car, but I'm cheap and therefore never exceed 119km/hour for maximum gas mileage.

Anyhow, I was in the center lane, boxed in between a bunch of transport trucks. My exit was coming up soon, so when a window of opportunity opened up to move into the slow lane, I accelerated to pass a transport truck beside me and entered the slow lane, at which point I slowed down to between 100-110km.

Then a transport truck decided to go into the slow lane, didn't see me, and merged into me. He realized he was doing it because he pulled away quickly, but by that time I was spinning across the 3 lanes of the 401, hit the median, flew into the air, and came down...The paramedics said it was a miracle I was alive and unscathed. The cop said the wreck looked like a fatality.
Then he proceeded to write ME up for 'careless driving' because a witness who saw me accelerate to merge claimed "I was doing about 130".
The cop told me I was probably weaving in and out of lanes, and speeding in the slow lane. I told him it was unfair to assume my driving style was aggressive just because I have a shaved head and drive a sports car. And I really was doing 100 km/h, the prick.
The two witnesses who stopped to make sure I was ok told me a transport truck hit me, but because I was beside it nobody could see exactly what happened from their angle.
So the cop uses them stating that I accelerated to make a lane change as 'evidence' I was driving carelessly?
He called me a pest, a liar, and said "I must have fallen asleep and drifted into the transport truck"....WTF?

I even told the paramedics and the officer the only 'drugs' I had consumed were multiple star bucks coffee's. And it was 4:30 pm. I find it insulting and unbelievable that he would even say such a thing, especially considering how close I had just come to dying.

On one hand, I am tempted to take a lesser charge. But that is also BS, because I did absolutely nothing wrong. We are supposed to accelerate to pass somebody to make a lane change, not slow down.

The irony is the regular flow of traffic in the middle and fast lanes was exceeding 120 at the time. Hence my moving into the slow lane (as well as my upcoming exit).

I look about 10 years younger than my actual age, which is 36. And he treated me like a lying criminal.

Should I take this to court, should I represent myself or hire a service (and if so, which one) or should I just 'admit' to a lower charge when I did nothing wrong??

July 31, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

Ally Sloane

So, I got pulled over for driving not over 10 km/h on a long weekend where double demerit points existed. I'm a P2 licence holder and the police that booked me said I had lost a total of 2 demerit points and issued a $106 fine...he then corrected himself that it was 4 demerit points since it was double demerits and said since it was my first offence, my licence will still be okay! Today i recieved a suspension letter saying that I had lost a total of 8 demerit points. Appeal due misinformation?

November 11, 2013 @ 6:15 AM

christopher

stopped for not stopping at stop sign. I stopped about 3 feet before stop line but I was obscured by car next to me, I guess cop didnt see me stop. how do I fight this?

March 17, 2014 @ 9:40 PM

Dan

Christopher, Those are tricky. Your word against his. Just take it to court and hope he wont show up. Even if he does, the prosecutor will drop the fees. You can use these guys TICKETRUN.CA to file it they're pretty quick.

March 24, 2014 @ 6:42 PM

fawad

i was driving and when i stop on stop sign not fully stop around 2 second and cop came give a ticket of 110 dollar and put comments in ticket not stop on stop sign while i stop 2 second any one give me advice can i go on court

May 5, 2014 @ 8:51 PM

Jim Wong

I got a speeding ticket and my name looked like it was spelled incorrectly because of the officer's bad handwriting. Now I received the notice of trail and the name on it is incorrectly spelled also. Is this a reason to ask for the ticket to be dropped?

May 10, 2014 @ 9:38 AM

ay

I got 3 tickets.no insurance,careless driving and driving with a G1. How do I get my charges dropped

July 29, 2014 @ 2:46 AM

Hilary

Just got a ticket today while I texted at a light. Driving with handheld device violation. I have two speeding tickets that I didn't fight that are 2 years old. I didn't know you could fight them or how the system worked. Any advice? I'm guessing I should go to trial for the new ticket, how long does it take it get a trial date? If one year, then 3 years will have been passed from my old tickets and I think that means insurance doesn't count then anymore? Anyone heard of the firm Bhala and associates? I am going to hire a someone, too scared to do on my own lol. Can I do anything about the old tickets or is that all dead and gone? thank you so much. I'm such a lost lamb with all this stuff.

July 31, 2014 @ 8:56 PM

Bob

Scheduled to attend court in northern ontario for speeding 29 over posted limit (OPL)- She also stating I have 5 speeding ticket since 1984 last one being 2007 - isn t there some limitation? She is willing to go with disobeying sign but with a 275$ fine (equivalent to 31 over). Crown said if I challenge she would ask judge to increase speeding to 31 OPL since officer dropped the amount road side if I challenge ticket.
I can probably challenge 31 over since radar detectors have a + or - 3km margin of error if calibrated correctly. I was just hoping for a quick resolution.

August 6, 2014 @ 1:05 PM

Walt

Hi folks

I got nailed going thru 2 reds and not having a horn on my bike = $750.00 fine

This is my first season in 35 years for riding a bike again and I’m gob smacked u could be dinged this severely. Does being a somewhat novice again help?

I broke the rules but does pleading ‘hardship’ i.e. throwing yourself at the mercy of the court help? (I knew within 10 seconds there’d be no mercy/discretion from the young cop who pulled me over…sigh)

My savings are running out and this fine represents about 20% of what I’m worth. I beat back a major bout of cancer not long back and my greatest concern is it coming back and not having a roof over my head. It’s basically come down to that.

Business-wise I’m slowing swinging things in my favour but this really hammers me.

To start the ball rolling I’ll do ‘Option 2’ Early Resolution – seems safe as it doesn’t negate going to court as a last recourse. Thanks

August 20, 2014 @ 1:09 PM

Walt

One more point - do u get dinged for court cost if u challenge and lose?

Thanks - Walt

August 20, 2014 @ 1:13 PM

@Walt

No, you don't get dinged for the court cost.

I'll bet when you tell your story and considering your charge that they throw it out and you end up paying nothing. Just my guess...

August 20, 2014 @ 1:31 PM

Walt

Hey Toronto Mike - thanks for the input!
Crossing my fingers...

August 25, 2014 @ 8:27 PM

Ricardo Mcdonald

Most of the people are so busy, that they hardly even try to defend their cases at courts.Traffic ticket issues are no exception. Majority hardly even understand the importance of fighting . And trust me, defending it in the court has it's advantage.Thanks for this article, as it provides a good insight regarding defending it at court.

September 23, 2014 @ 10:40 AM

Ka On

I was involved in the middle of a 3 vechile crash. My car got most of the damage as I try to avoid the car in front that suddenly stopped, but my breaking wasn't good enougj for the speed I was going 50/50. My car is still drivable, but the damage was done. All parties reported the incident together, but the cop wrote me a ticket for careless driving. I explained the cause of my situation, but he was determined that I was at fault infront of the two parties. As the cop was writing up the ticket, he took his time review some stuff on the screen and I was there to give him time and saw he wrote my first name wrong. The ticket was written under OHA "careless driving", and recommanded me to take option 2, and told me to tell the crown how I explain the circumstance of the accident and he knew I was trying to do the most minimal damage I can. He said that most likely they will drop it because of insufficient evidence, since no cops were dispatch onto the scene, only testimonials from the drivers and that there was no witness. Is it true what the cop told me afterwards? This was my first ever accident since I have been driving for 7 years and also my first ticket.

September 29, 2014 @ 5:30 PM

Frank Tremblay

Hi
I got stopped over by an undercover cop for driving without insurance as he was behind me on a red light. I had told my wife to inform the insurance broker to look for a quote for me in the morning and have the email proof. I got caught at 5 pm and because of no proper reply from that insurance broker, ended up getting insurance from td melonche at 7 pm. Is there any base on my defense?Please let me know

thanks

October 3, 2014 @ 8:08 PM

jd

Hi,

I got a ticket a few months ago for driving with a handheld communication device. I was stopped by an officer who asked me to hand over the phone. I did. I was not even using the phone. I was waiting at a red light and decided to move my phone from the seat to the cup holder where i usually leave it. I pleaded not guilty and went to court. prosecutor said i would not be seen that day. now i have disclosure notes and another trial date coming up. Is it legal for a police officer to ask you to handover your phone and take it with them and return it after you pulled over? Also when i went to court and was asked to talk to the officer before the hearing the officer asked me what the issue was and i told him that he invaded my privacy by taking my phone. he threatened me that if i went and said that to JP i could end up paying upto $1000. He is a bully. What do you suggest I do?

October 15, 2014 @ 12:11 AM

mel

I agree with one of the girls above Street Legal does rock. I used them for one of my speeding tickets and careless driving tickets. They were able to dismiss both cases. I was so happy espeically because the careless driving ticket had 3 demerit points.

October 24, 2014 @ 4:18 PM

speeding ticket on 76

The way you describe it, your ticket should count as a Traffic Offense.

February 14, 2015 @ 4:25 AM

Angela

So I heard the door bell at 7:50pm. I went downstairs opened the door to see who it was. ...OMG a cop was at my door...so I said what can I help you with officer?? He says are you black black blah was driving a white car earlier today at 5:30pm?? I said yes that's me. Then he handed me a blue slip violation ticket...I said what is this all about? He goes I was disobey red traffic light at intersection. ...I said no I didn't...but why didn't you pull me over if you were at the scene?? Took you more than 2 hrs to come to my residence to give me this?? That's ridiculous. I'm so unappreciated and so not impressed. He says it's his job. So my question is... is there such thing as cop saw you driving out there than came stalking you 2 hrs later to give you a violation ticket???

March 21, 2015 @ 11:48 PM

Curtis at Bulwark Legal

Angela, an officer has up to 30 days to serve you with an offence notice (or what you described as a "blue slip violation ticket"). Why he thought it was necessary is a whole different issue which you may be able to exploit. An obvious problem with his evidence will be how he obtained the information that it was you driving that vehicle at that particular time. It appears he got it from your statement. That statement will likely be inadmissible, including any information that resulted because of it. You should file Option #3 on the back of the offence notice and challenge this allegation.

March 28, 2015 @ 1:45 PM

Sue

I have a clean driving record. No infractions in past 3 years. Today I received a ticket in school zone (rural Caledon) for $560 - doing 83 in 40. It is usually 60 there and they installed flashing lights. I am guilty, I know that and feel terrible. I know that I have to fight it as my insurance will be high. I am 50 year old female and I drive for a living (sales). What is the best way to proceed? On my own? Go to court with representation of option 2 meet prosecutor on my own? Last speeding ticket was 8 years ago - 15km over. No accidents and no other charges. Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you

April 17, 2015 @ 7:47 PM

SP

Sue, fight it.

April 22, 2015 @ 9:56 PM

Marc

I was not attentive and soon a big SUV came on my side after a none blinking station was passed, he saw in my mirror I was not wearing my seatbelt as I often do in quebec driving trucks, highway cops dont care, stoped me at Glengarry after motioning my belt I then put on but still stoped me to inspect my trailer. I did say I often did'nt use it and not harassed in quebec where I usual stay in. I was spotted because my tall rolls of wires with straps and chains , I saw other drivers without....

My name is written as Marc Ste-Maries as driving licence but not correct as it is Sainte-Marie legally.
He apparently wrote on report I say I dont wear in often, and not bother in Quebec

_"Driver - fail to properly wear seat belt"

Over 15 days but court told me I had 45 day to act.

April 28, 2015 @ 10:47 AM

Brandi

I received a ticket lastnight for driving with a handheld communication device. I was at a red light and looked at my map; I Was pulled over just after the light. Can you please suggest what my best option would be.. The fine is $280, or do I choose Early Resolution or Trial Option?? TIA

May 4, 2015 @ 12:01 PM

Jp lagrosas

I got pulled over for overspeeding 70 on a 50...did not have my registration and insurance that time, but i do have them at home...and i am insured and registered at that time (papers upto date)...so i got 3 tickets that day...i went to court services that day and picked option 2 (earlyresolution)...i picked it and went there right away because i had to...i was going on vacation the next day and wont be back until 15 days so i wont hve time to file...now i was reading forums and people telling to fight the convictions...my question is this...how would i change it from option 2 to option 3 which is to fight it in court? Thanks and more power to you...

May 11, 2015 @ 6:42 PM

JJ

Same kind of inquiry as JP.

Got pulled over on HWY 10 in Caledon around where the 410 ends and the speed drops. He gave me 95 in an 80. He came to my window, said I pulled you over for speeding. (I said nothing to confirm nor deny). Had all my proper paperwork in order. Came back after about 5 minutes or so, said he is giving me 15 over and a $52 ticket but for the "speed I was going" it could of been higher with points. Now at no time did he tell me my alleged speed, or what he had supposedly radared. I may have been speeding with the speed drop but I'm not sure what he might of clocked me at. I was also riding closely beside a couple of large trucks back and forth which also makes me question the accuracy.
I requested the early resolution as I haven't had a ticket in almost 10 years and never thought to go to trial before reading a lot of these posts.
Is it possible to change and go to trial? I have been told if you go to early resolution and do not agree with the outcome you can request a trial date anyway. I am also considering one of those x-copper type services but am not sure what they might accomplish with a small infraction.
Any help and opinions is appreciated.

May 15, 2015 @ 8:37 PM

malik

Hi
I git a speedy ticket 5 years ago on" Gardiner express way" I was doing 111/90 he gave me $110 .
I search online "we win or its free.com "
they fight the ticket and court withdrawn my charges.
you should always fight it , take a trial date which take 6 to 12 months even if u plead guilty before judge u have one guarantee that your insurance wouldn't go up until you convicted

May 16, 2015 @ 2:34 AM

Samantha Cohen

I would 100% have to agree. It is very important to fight any traffic ticket you receive. If the ticket does not get resolved you are looking at potential jail time, higher insurance premiums, and a license suspension. I know this from experience. A few years ago i decided not to resolve the traffic ticket I received for disobeying a sign. Eventually this caught up with me, I was pulled over for speeding and the officer informed me that I was driving with a suspended license. I received two traffic tickets, one for speeding and the other for driving while under suspension, and my car my towed. Overall it was a huge nightmare.

I decided to seek some professional help and hire a paralegal who could take care of this situation for me. I came across Street Legal traffic ticket defence team. They were recommended to me by a family friend. After giving them a call I had a free consultation with Jackie, the paralegal who would be fighting my case. She assured me that she would take care of everything and I would not have to worry about a thing. Nevertheless I could not have been more satisfied with my results. She was able to immediately reinstate my license and completely dismissed my speeding charge. No points, no fine, and more importantly my insurance did not go up. I would highly recommend Street Legal to fight any traffic ticket, they have a very high success rate and you will not be disappointed. They can be contacted at 416-601-1500 or www.street-legal.ca

June 2, 2015 @ 3:14 PM

frolady

Hey all,
I got my first speeding ticket and paid it (not realising I had a shot at going to court). Alongside the ticket though, when the cop asked for insurance, I completely didn't see it, and thought it wasn't in the car (panic) and so she charged me with failure to have insurance card. I went away just after on a trip and came back and now my 15 days to have an early resolution are up. What are my options? Can I still have an early resolution or should I just pay the fee off? Will my insurance fly through the roof? any info would help.

June 16, 2015 @ 7:57 PM

john

Hi Mike
I got four tickets(first offence was Red light) and my luck I had left my wallet at home with insurance ownership/tags and license) on that day. Curious is there only one court house to ask for setting court dates. Reason i got the ticket at 427 and Dundas St(the Etobicoke/Missisauga border) and had to go to Scarborough/Markham).

Second question. I asked for early resolution on the insurance ownership/tags and license violations. I waited an hour to set court date to defend the Red light charge and was told by the clerk I couldn't because I was going to court on early resolution for the three other charges failure to surrender insurance ownership/tags and license. So i was forced to go to early resolution on four charges. This is wrong shouldn't I be able to choose my outcomes on the four tickets as I see fit. One clerk processed three minor tickets I was asking for early resolution and the other clerk informed me that I couldn't request a trial and had me change the request to early ressolution as well.

Let me know best way to fight.

john

July 7, 2015 @ 11:50 PM

Alex

I got a speed ticket but name is wrong on the ticket can i fight it, thanks

August 10, 2015 @ 1:30 PM

Andrew Beck

Hi Mike, it means you must have got lot many tickets as such. Lol.. You really are lucky. Not many people could be as lucky as you. Many times the cops show up. In such cases only a traffic ticket attorney could help. Thanks for sharing the post.

August 21, 2015 @ 12:30 PM

Rizwan

Hello !
I parked and stopped my vehicle behind Police Cruiser on right hand lane and on left hand lane Street Car was dropping passengers at intersection of Queen and Bathurst southbound. One officer was out of Police Cruiser and talking with two other bike cops .
The police Cruiser roof light was NOT ON .
Female passenger was sitting back on rear right side going to drop her at Island Airport .
One bike cop approached me and asked me my Driving Licence and gave me ticket with charge of driving with hand held communication device while parked and stopped vehicle .It was on Tuesday ,October 29 ,2015 and weather was bad ,dark and cloudy with poor visibility .
I set my trial date . Please guide me in that matter .Thank you
Rizwan
Cell : (647) 781 1154

November 1, 2015 @ 6:07 AM

Rizwan Khalid

Hello !
Can Bike Police make your video movie with out your permission with smart or cell phone while on bikes on stopped and park vehicle at intersection facing southbound from which direction and angld from front and back of vehicle.
Burfi
Cell (647) 781 1154

November 1, 2015 @ 7:21 AM

Rizwan Khalid

Hello !
Burfi
Cell (647) 781 1154

November 1, 2015 @ 7:22 AM

Andrew Bronson

I was in traffic court as a witness to a texting driver rear ending a car, and 99% of the cases had been dealt with in private deals and no police had even come to the hearing. The exception of a young man on Ontario works, he was fined $7000 and 90 days to pay.

What a dirty busine$$ and the victims get the shaft from there insurance provider.

This Hands free fine of $490 is the new revenue avenue.

November 19, 2015 @ 6:56 AM

Amy

If I decide to forgo the plea bargain and still found guilty after trial, can I still seek a lesser fine and demerit points? Or best to take plea bargain. Ultimately, I don't want the conviction.

My word against the police officer so don't know if it is worth fighting. He said I didn't stop at the stop sign, but I did.

January 29, 2016 @ 4:46 PM

@Amy

Fight it. Even if you lose, you win.

January 30, 2016 @ 9:33 AM

joyce

i got a ticket for unsafe left turn which resulted in an accident. There was a witness but he left before the cop arrived. He gave his info to the ambulance attendant. There is nothing ticked for witness on the ticket and my guess is he won't be called when I fight the ticket. It was a hidden intersection and the road curved so I could not see oncoming traffic clearly. If that witness isn't listed, can I get the case dismissed as incomplete information?

March 14, 2016 @ 3:26 PM

ZaP

A dirty cop charge me for distracted driving in a company truck when in fact I had put a few grapes in my mouth. Cop asked me what I was doing and I said I was eating grapes. He immediately got aggressive with me accusing me of insulting his intelligence and started raising his voice. He said I was talking on the phone and there is no way he could have seen that far away form where he was parked ( about 50 feet away) I told him to look at the dash and tell me what he sees (hard mounted cell phone on it's side for navigation). He said I have another phone I was talking on. I told him I was eating grapes and he got madder so I asked him "is this about the two apologies I received from Halton Police because of my OIPRD complaint? He walks away.

I go to the cruiser and hand the phone to him and asked him "If I was talking on the phone there would be a record. Take the phone and check it." cops refuses and said I have another phone or I was doing something. I told him I'm recording him right now and he just introduced reasonable doubt because "something isn't necessarily talking on a cell phone.

I asked the cop if the car was recording video when I passed him while he was parked. Cop confirmed that it was along with audio. I said "Good" Cop tells me to go back the the vehicle.

Cop comes to the truck to give ticket and recorded him again and confirmed by saying, "Just to confirm that you stated I was doing something which raised doubt as to what you actually seen. Cop said "I don't care what I said, You were talking on a cell phone and you can take it to court if you want"

I replied "see you in court"

I've requested disclosure including video from the car back in February because court is April 22 in Burlington. I still haven't heard anything.

Any tips?

April 3, 2016 @ 4:04 AM

Anonymous

warning
dont hire Street Legal Traffic Tickets

April 8, 2016 @ 11:39 PM

Ronnie

Husband has clean driving record for 18 years. Was pulled over for a rolling stop and then found out his license expired so he ended up with 2 tickets. He'd like to fight the charges given his clean record and he never received his renewal notice in the mail (we know this is not the best excuse as the notice is a courtesy, but to prove he's responsible and respects the rules of the road he's renewing his license Monday as the incident happened on a Sunday) can anyone recommend reputable paralegals in the GTA to help fight his charges?

June 5, 2016 @ 11:17 PM

Lee

I received a ticket from an undercover cop because I picked up my phone to turn off an alarm that was going off. He saw me just when I had the phone in my hand. Bad timing. He gave me a ticket of 480 dollars. This happened getting off the highway going to Alexandria. I think it is a ridiculous amount of money and I wasn't even using the phone. I did send it in the mail to contest it. Received a letter for an early resolution for June 30th. Any advice?

June 9, 2016 @ 7:10 PM

sean

HELLO mike can u call me==after 1230 noon 647 656 3935 they have me on computer forlife ?? why my lawyer did not want a trial my paralegal was a very bad crook ====I need my licence for work==I don't want welfare thankyou

July 11, 2016 @ 2:07 PM

Massi

A cop has stopped me due to failure to change to a left lane when an emmergency vehicle has pulled over in a highway. However I was driving less than 100 km/h and the left lane was full of vehicles that driven more 115 km/h and I thought it was not safe to change the lane.
My questions are
1. What option do you think is better for me? 2 or 3
2. If I lose the case, will they charge me more as for now it is 490 CAD and 3 demerit points

July 28, 2016 @ 1:11 PM

Christine

I got a speeding ticket on a road that sloped downhill. I have two questions. Can the credibility of the laser gun the cop used be questioned as he was sitting in his car and the road slopes downhill. Also, I got a court date that is a little more than 12months from date of the ticket, is there a chance of getting the case droped under charter 11(b) if I submit an “Application for Stay of Proceedings” ?. This happens in Markham, ON. Any help is greatly appreciated

August 7, 2016 @ 12:34 AM

Christine

Also..can a speeding infraction be dropped to a parking infraction?

August 7, 2016 @ 12:35 AM

rarely

@Christine

I've rarely seen a parked car exceed the speed limit.

August 7, 2016 @ 10:09 AM

Bonnie

I am asking for input for my parents. They were driving in their car through town & were pulled over on the outskirts. The cop that pulled them over said it was a sting operation & a ghost car in town saw my father using a hand held device while driving. My mom was in the car with him. They had stopped at Canadian Tire, my mom texted my sister in the parking lot, but she gets motion sickness in the car, so when my dad started driving she put the phone in her purse. Shortly after they were pulled over. My dad does not know how to text on a cell (he's 70 & used to have a flip phone, but ran over it). He also does not know how to make a call on my mom's phone. So my best guess is he was scratching his head or something when he drove past the "ghost cop". Long story short the cop that pulled them over insisted that the "ghost cop" saw my dad using a hand held device & gave him a $490 ticket & 4 demerit points. I pay for my mom's cell phone & printed off the phone records for them to use in court to show that the phone did not even receive a call that day. They are currently sitting in court waiting to see the judge. The prosecutor told them it was unlikely that the judge would consider this enough evidence to support their situation. It is likely that their case will be adjourned because it's a small town & too long in between dates, so the cases are backed up. Can my mom act as a witness? Is there any other evidence they could possibly use to support their innocence? This is a prime example of the justice system failing innocent people (on a fixed income no less). Any advice to help would be appreciated. Thank you

August 11, 2016 @ 2:47 PM

Laurel

I received a fine on my way to register our daughter for high school today as I was using my phone as a GPS. I am directionally challenged and get lost everywhere. As I was already running late from dealing with a flat tire, the GPS seemed the smartest way to go so I didn't speed but would find the fastest way to get there. So the police office was nothing short of obnoxious telling me my day was going to get way worse after explaining politely how my day had been thus far and also being late to meet with the school counselor. I remained optimistic as he left to go back to his can...( I have had a perfect driving record for almost 14 years.) but he proceeded to hand me a ticket for 495 dollars. Any thoughts on how to fight this as it is terrible as I wasn't talking nor texting... I know I am going to fight this is horrid but what to say or do?

August 22, 2016 @ 1:17 PM

laurel

LEE from earlier this summer, I am in the same area as you, so curious your resolution...

August 22, 2016 @ 1:19 PM

Chris

All the officer has to prove for a cell phone ticket is that you had the phone in your hand while in a motor vehicle.

Besides the fine the ticket has 3 demerit points. Cases are won on the legal technicalities, you might consider getting an expert to help you with this....

September 14, 2016 @ 4:17 PM

Hoodwinked

Here's one you probably haven't seen. I drove an acquaintance to Toronto as she said she had a Dr's appointment. We were meeting friends for lunch. I parked on the street and she pulls out a Handicap permit and says "I'll take care of the parking". She was walking with a cane and I asked was it legitimate. She showed me the expiration date of Feb/18 on it. I had no reason to believe that it wasn't legit. When we return to the car after lunch, there's a ticket on the car. Just so happens the Hornet is there too and asks to see the Permit. I readily show it to him and he tells me it's a fraudulent permit. I said "I had no idea". Long and short of it, cops deliver a summons for me to appear in court, with 2 charges. One displaying a permit, the other possessing a fraudulent permit. I trusted this person that it was legit, but she wasn't with us when we returned to the car so I had no recourse. Can I go to Early Resolution with this to explain the situation and not tie up an overly busy court docket?

September 23, 2016 @ 1:05 PM

Sara

Plz answer my question. I had a phone tucked in between my hand and steering wheel and I was following the pre stored directions while I was coming back from my out of town doctor appointment on Highway. I am bad at remembering directions so I was making sure I was on right track. Police saw me and ticketed me. 490 + if I'm guilty 3 demerit points. Should I go for option 2 or 3 is there any gain in going for option 3 in my case when I know that I was using cell phone. Plz reply

October 27, 2016 @ 12:54 PM

@Sara

I'm not a police officer, or a lawyer, so I don't want to lead you down the wrong path.

As a citizen, I recommend fighting all traffic tickets in court. Maybe the cop won't show up, maybe the crown will give you a lesser sentence, both are better options than simply pleading guilty and paying the full fine.

October 27, 2016 @ 1:17 PM

Karen

I was driving North and turned East (right) on a green light that may have turned orange as I completed my turn. There was a police SUV sitting at the red light facing East. I was aware he wa sitting at the red so I made sure that the light I was turning on was green. He followed me for approximately 2 mins before turning on his cherries and pulled me over. He said I went through a red light and asked me why? I was actually shocked that he said that but thought best not to be argumentative as he was quite firm, bordering on aggressive. My 8 year old son was sitting beside me in my large SUV, and the OPP commented "he should be in the back seat" 'I said I understood that he could sit up front if he was over 65 lbs which he is. Apparently I am wrong which I accept but I didn't go through the red light while I was turning right at the corner. I received a ticket for $ 325.00. I want to fight this unfair ticket. Is Option #3 Trial Option the best one to choose? Thanks for any advice I can receive.

December 1, 2016 @ 11:34 PM

Saj

February 19, 2017 @ 12:57 AM

Saj

had a very bad day today....got a parking ticket for $150 for STOP - ROAD SIDE - (STOPPED/PARKED) CODE 31... I looked into that code and it says; "double parking offense when a live lane of traffic is obstructed". It was issued on 212 Adelaide street. I do food delivery and in fact parked the car with hazard light on, On-delivery sign on the dash board, by the curb and my daughter was sitting in the car. The car was little bit away from curb because of snow and dirt but was not blocking any lane. By the time I came back, the officer was in the process of giving the ticket. I was back in 5 minutes and requested him that I am leaving now but he said, I have to give you ticket.......decided to fight in the court but need some advice. I did not take any pictures because I was very pissed off. Just wondering if the officer on bicycle took the pictures?

February 19, 2017 @ 12:58 AM

williyamjoe

The probably worth fighting because your insurance is going to be affected even if there are no demerits.Fighting it could cost more than the ticket – but it could save you money when you factor in your insurance.If you pay a speeding ticket, you’re automatically convicted – and that conviction appears on your driving record.

March 2, 2017 @ 7:33 AM

TheRealRobeh

It seems as though a number of these cases violate one's Charter Rights to a speedy trial (s. 11(b) of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms). As ruled by the Court of Appeal for Ontario in two cases in 2011, 10 months and even 9 months is too long for a person to wait for a trial involving such matters such as HTA offences. With a little know-how and/or a skilled paralegal, one can submit an 11(b) motion for a stay of charges on the ground that the time to trial contravenes s. 11(b) of the Charter. Be prepared to defend the motion, however.

May 14, 2017 @ 4:22 AM

skyy

I got a speeding ticket last night. it was the first time ever that I was pulled over.
it was late night around midnight, and there were not many cars around me. So, I think the speed got me over. I did not notice that I was driving that fast!
The cops were behind me and lighting to stop me.
I had two passengers, who are my parents and they did not even notice as well.
anyways, they said that I went about 140km/hr...
and they gave me $295 ticket.. :(
I don't know what to do, what should I do?!

June 8, 2017 @ 7:51 AM

@skyy

I am not a lawyer, but I would make a court date and see if I could plea it down to a smaller fine and less points.

I've had great success doing this, and if the officer somehow doesn't appear, they could toss the ticket entirely.

June 8, 2017 @ 8:03 AM

skyy

@Toronto Mike

Do you think I could do without a lawyer? or should I hire a lawyer for this case?

June 9, 2017 @ 5:18 PM

@skyy

No lawyer required, IMHO.

June 9, 2017 @ 5:35 PM

skyy

@Toronto Mike

Thank you for your opinion!!

June 13, 2017 @ 4:04 AM

TMM

I got a speeding ticket on my way from Toronto to Montreal at Brockville (29km over).

I have already requested a trial, and the trial date is approx. 3 weeks from now. I'm thinking if there is an option for early resolution, as i live more than 300km from the court house.

Any tips?

Thanks!

June 23, 2017 @ 5:54 PM

Joanne

Got a call from City of Toronto advising that I have an unpaid ticket from 2001 for failure to produce ownership. They said I had to go to the courthouse to get the details. Is there a statue of limitations on this? I don't recall getting pulled over. What are my options?

July 12, 2017 @ 8:10 AM

Maulik

3 days back, I offended on careless driving. In middle of the night while driving all of a sudden I lost control and car went on side of the road triad to control but couldn't and went in ditch. Might have my eyes closed for fraction of second.
No one injured, car got damaged badly.
Can I think of going in court to request on reducing my charges?

Looking for advice. Thanks.

July 29, 2017 @ 3:28 PM

Michelle F

My daughter got a ticket for a rolling stop...she wants to fight it, what's the best route?

September 2, 2017 @ 12:44 PM

Marla May

I got a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign. First of all I did not roll the stop. I have never, and would never have done that. Not to mention I spent literally my entire life in this town, and I laugh at the people who do roll that stop because everyone knows the sheriffs have been trapping people at that interection for 30+ years. I stop at that stop 5X a day at least! If I ever rolled a stop it certainly wouldn’t be that one that’s for sure.
I had 4 girls ages 11, 13, 13, 14, in the car coming home from the beach. I stopped way before the limit line. Then slowly rolled forward and looked both ways before I went thru the stop. From where I was stopped and even when I proceeded thru the intersection I did not see the officer at all. And I looked in both directions. There is a hill right after the stop. As I stopped at the stop on top of the hill there were lights flashing behind me. I didn’t even see them yet the girls I the car told me I was getting pulled over. My first thought was obviously they’re trying to get around me because I know I didn’t do anything wrong. I actually pulled over only to get out of the way. That’s when I realized it was me she was pulling over. Then I immediately thought to myself she better not try and say I rolled that stop. She had to be hiding somewhere to come up behind me that fast out of nowhere. Because she was on my ass within like 10 seconds of the stop. Not one person in the car saw her before that either. I know for a fact from the angles and abstractions to the view that if I couldn’t see her at all from where I was stopped there was no way she could have seen me stop when and where I stopped.
She put down that there were no passengers in my car. So my question is do the people in the car count as witnesses? Because I am fighting this without a doubt. I didn’t not roll this stop. And does the fact that she put down 0 passengers make a difference? How do I then prove I did have passengers? Besides having them physically there to say they were in the car, I have photos dated the same day less than 2 hours before I got the ticket, from the beach which is where we were driving home from!?
I have never done this before so I have no idea what to do? Getting a ticket, fighting it, going to court for it, are all foreign to me. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!

November 29, 2017 @ 1:29 PM

Jason Morgan

Do not use the TRAFFIC TICKET GUYS. Prepaid for service, no one showed up at the trial, had to pay for the ticket plus all penalties. Asked for a refund and I was ignored by Michael Low, President.

November 29, 2017 @ 4:37 PM

Rishabh Joshi

Hey, I'm 17 years old and today I received my very first ticket which was failure to signal during lane change. It's a fine of 100 dollars and I'm unaware of what to do. In my opinion this is an uncesaary ticket as I see many others do the same everyday. I am not sure if I should fight or plead guilty. I really don't want my this affecting my insurance and I hope to get this dismissed. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

January 5, 2018 @ 5:37 AM

Rishabh Joshi

January 5, 2018 @ 5:37 AM

clarice

I got a ticket for allegedly not fully stopping at a stop sign...I was the only car at 4 way signs...I most defiantly stopped v. quickly and restarted quickly. Police car constable said she was two or three cars behind car that was only other one approaching stop sign..at least 150 yards away. There's no way she from that distance could see what she incorrectly claimed was my not stopping on line...my stop sign is at least 3 or 4 feet back hidden by a hedge. Should I fight this ?

February 3, 2018 @ 8:59 PM

@clarice

IANAL but I would definitely fight it.

1. The cop might not show, and they'll throw it out.
2. Even if the cop shows, the crown will plea it down so you pay less money and lose fewer points.

Either way, you win.

February 3, 2018 @ 9:03 PM

clarice

Many thanks Mike...not too sure what your first word of first sentence was but appreciate advice..I'll fight it.
again thanks very much. ...clarice

February 4, 2018 @ 7:56 PM

@clarice

IANAL = I am not a lawyer.

February 4, 2018 @ 8:55 PM

Emily

While i was changing lanes the car in front of me braked, and I hit their car. I did check my blind spots, and in front of me at the time I was changing lanes. That is in the report as well. The police gave me a ticket for unsafe lane change..Do you think it's worth a shot to fight it or no because it falls under unsafe considering I did hit the car in front of me? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

February 5, 2018 @ 8:34 AM

@Emily

I'm still not a lawyer, but yes I'd fight it. For the same reasons I fight every ticket.

1. Maybe the cop doesn't show and they toss it out.

2. If the cop does show the crown will most likely plea it down so you pay less money and lose fewer points.

February 5, 2018 @ 8:42 AM

Beatts

LMAO at IANAL....

That's one of those instances I would have typed it out :)

February 5, 2018 @ 11:41 AM

Stephanie

Hi Mike,
I was coming back home from work during the evening and i got stopped at a road block. I got a ticket for failing to display the N sign. It got stolen while I was working and it was late so I had no way of replacing it. I have a clean record & no previous tickets. What happens if the cop appears in court? Do I plead guilty for a fine reduction?

February 14, 2018 @ 7:05 AM

@Stephanie

Should I know what an N sign is? Haha...

If you're technically guilty, go to court and if the cop does show plea it down to a lesser charge / fine with the crown. They'll be happy to do that.

February 14, 2018 @ 2:48 PM

Stephanie

Thanks Mike!
The 'N' sign is the green Novice sign that is placed behind the car.

February 14, 2018 @ 5:21 PM

cathy

hi,

I'm a g1 driver and was caught driving on 401 and 60km/h exceeded speed. my license was suspended for 7 days and my car taken away. I was given a court date but I'm not sure of what can happen to me or what to do next?

February 18, 2018 @ 12:29 AM

@cathy

I believe 50 km/h is the big difference maker. If you're 49 km/h over the limit, the worst they can do is ding you for a bunch of money and demerit points.

60km/h over though puts it in a different category. You have to go to court - it's serious stuff. You should probably talk to a lawyer.

February 18, 2018 @ 5:23 PM

Vinc

Hi Mike,

I had a really bad day today + it was rainy and in that confusion I jumped two red light cameras.

Two diffrent locations Jameson and lakeshore
University and king.

It’s a honest mistake as the streets were empty and the reflection on this rainy day got me confused.

What is a good way out?

April 14, 2018 @ 3:58 AM

Chris Scharlach

I was driving in heavy slow moving traffic with my son who was eating a sub when he started making coughing choking sounds. I put my signal on and proceeded to drive to a safe shoulder to help. I had to cross a highway entrance lane and get beyond rail to get to safe shoulder. In doing so I pulled in front of a police officer who was getting on highway to deal with an accident up ahead. I pulled over and made sure my son was okay and when I opened window for police man he proceeded to berate me for trying to pass everyone in gridlock by driving in shoulder. When I tried to explain where I was going and why I was told he didn’t want to hear my excuses and he had to go to an accident and I would be issued a summons. He left and I was issued a summons for careless. Any advice?

July 5, 2018 @ 12:43 AM

jj

Chris Scharlach - fight it, and go to explain your side of the story. if your son is old enough, perhaps bring him to see if that helps any? i don't know. but definitely go and fight it.

July 5, 2018 @ 8:20 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Chris Scharlach: A couple of things you can try to do, not guaranteed, but has helped members of my car club over the years.
Ask for a court date (don't plead guilty with an explanation), ask for the police officers notes, he may have been too busy to document your situation due to the accident he was responding to. Not sure of your son's age but maybe worth getting his version on what happened.
You may need to see the Justice of the Peace to request all this.

When you go to court, go early and speak with the prosecutor before proceedings start, they are the only ones that can plead it down to a lesser charge or move to dismiss it. If you miss this opportunity the Judge can't do anything for you, which so many people assume. I watched many people one day make this mistake, and they wasted their time. Be calm and respectful to the Judge/prosecutor etc. as the hot heads get no where and get shut out almost immediately.

Careless is pretty serious from an insurance point, so worth the possibilty of pleading it down. Good Luck

July 5, 2018 @ 10:15 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Man I am getting old, didn't realize I had posted in this way back in 2011 also !

July 5, 2018 @ 10:18 AM

jj

Rick C in Oakville - I parked in a fire zone, and got the ticket. When I went to court, prosecutor essentially told us we couldn't plead anything BUT guilty. Justice of the Peace that day was really forgiving, and cut everyone's ticket amount by 50% with a year to pay.

So it is always better to go!

July 5, 2018 @ 10:23 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@jj, good for you, always nice to see someone benefit from challenging the system.
My dad is currently having to challenge a ticket that was issued with Green P parking. He had 11 minutes left on his parking stub, ticket clearly shows time it was issued, but since this is a government arm, he has to meander through the bureaucracy. He jokingly states, I am 92, probably won't be resolved in his lifetime. I told him to ignore it,fat chance he will be in a GreenP lot again.

July 5, 2018 @ 2:18 PM

jj

Rick C in Oakville - I was super lucky we had a really reasonable JP! Prosecutor was not happy haha.

That sucks for your dad, you're right he probably won't be in a Green P again!

July 5, 2018 @ 3:32 PM

John mc

I just received a ticket for red light camera infraction that happened in Burlington On. A $ 325 ticket as you know ! This was on Feb 9th.2019 on my way to Toyota deal ship on Guelph line .
We were on our way to a funeral in Owen Sound when an engine light game on hence the detour to Dealaership . We had to take my sons car who was following us and missed the light and I was looking back to check ! He lives in To. Etc.
We all got to the funeral okay but faced a $ 400 bill at the dealership so the additional $ 325 is a real financial challenge !
Would the prosecutor consider this and possibly reduce the fine ?

Tks.

February 19, 2019 @ 6:53 PM

joe

If I plead guilty to a not wearing a seatbelt while driving fine can I ask f or a fine reduction when I am in court?

April 20, 2019 @ 1:55 PM