What a Game!

baseballI don't care a lick about the Texas Rangers or the St. Louis Cardinals. Without a rooting interest, I've watched very little of the World Series this year. I only tuned in last night after the Leafs game because it was potentially the clinching game.

I'm very glad I did. It was one of the most entertaining games of baseball I've ever seen, and my heart is so grateful that I didn't care about either team.

If you stayed up late to watch, you know what I'm talking about. The Cards were down to their final out twice. In the bottom of the ninth, the Rangers led by 2 and had 2 out and 2 strikes on David Freese. All he did was hit a game-tying, two-run triple off the wall in right.

In the bottom of the tenth, the Rangers again led by 2 with 2 out and 2 strikes, this time on Lance Berkman. All Berkman did was hit a game-tying, two-run single.

Then, in the bottom of the eleventh, David Freese hit a walk-off homer to force a game 7. I love this call by Joe Buck, channelling his dad's call from game 6 in 1991. Perfect.

We'll see what happens tonight. I love baseball.

Pete Kic

One of the best games I have ever seen. Tired today but glad I stayed up to see it all.

October 28, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

CQ

Everyone likes a good baseball game. Link to Toronto ballpark photos follow:

October 28, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

jj

Check out the CBC poll about the best playoff game & you see Joe Carters HR tops.

Really???

This was a classic, so many twists & turns & to quote Michael Corleone, just when you thought STL was out, they come back in.

FK the yankees/Sox. This is baseball.

October 28, 2011 @ 2:39 PM

elvis

I can't watch any sporting event without cheering for one team over the other. I would agree with Mike that I don't care one way or other about these two teams normally but there is something about the Cards that makes me cheer for them over the Rangers. I have no idea why this happens - does anyone else experience this? Even if it's darts or WNBA, I always find myself rooting for one team over the other.

October 28, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

@elvis

Yes, I find myself rooting against the Rangers for some reason. Maybe it's lingering hatred for Dubya? Something has me hoping the Cards win this thing...

So I'm not completely indifferent as to who wins, but it's a mild rooting interest, so if the Rangers win tonight I'll be over it 3 seconds later.

By the way, I moved servers today, so some of you can see this entry while others cannot. Propagation, baby!

October 28, 2011 @ 2:50 PM

elvis

It's funny though - Mike Napoli has the chance to be the fifth (former) Blue Jay to be World Series MVP (Stewart, Morris, Borders & Molitor) yet we still cheer against Texas! AND they have Nolan Ryan.

October 28, 2011 @ 5:28 PM

Napoli was a Jay for 90 hours. That makes him a former Jay on paper only. He gets no points from me for that.

And if Nolan Ryan was pitching tonight for the Rangers, I might change my mind.

Sometimes, when there's no obvious rooting interest, you make a call based on feelings. My feelings tell me I'll be happy to see the Rangers lose tonight. Not sure why...

October 28, 2011 @ 5:34 PM

Mike

Something about the Texas GM and the way he looks in the stands always gives me a bad feeling. He looks evil haha.
Also, Napoli should not even count as being a Jay.
There is no way tonights game will live up to how amazing last nights was but here's hoping the Cards take it! It would make for a great ending.

October 28, 2011 @ 5:50 PM

twins from bolton

Having played BBall a lot in my younger years & both my kids playing Rep for over 11 years (1 still playing at 19 yrs old),the game last night was NOT A GREAT OR EVEN A GOOD GAME, it was ENTERTAINING.

Errors at Peewee age & brutal defense & pitching.

I don't care who wins, but with St. Louis 10 1/2 games out of 1st place in late August & Texas a chance for their 1st World Series - MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN.

If Nolan Ryan is in Texas bullpen, they will win - LOL.

October 28, 2011 @ 6:06 PM

@twins from bolton

It was poorly played, at least for the first part, but what a classic finish. Nobody remembers the first 8 innings. All we remember is the 9th, 10th and 11th.

October 28, 2011 @ 6:12 PM

twins from bolton

@ Mike

Totally agree. Just like when the Jays came back in 1992 from many runs behind.

As you said initially, the game was entertaining & that's what everyone want's to see, but a TERRIBLE BASEBALL GAME.

October 28, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

headsup

On the whole, the game was alright. This game had possibly the greatest ending in World Series history (all Joe Carter bias aside). However, the first six innings were brutal to watch. The errors and missed plays made for some drama and some frustration, but the final four innings were freakin epic... freakin epic. So, in terms of a start-to-finish classic, I'd say no. In terms of finishes, it will probably be one of the top three finishes to a game I'll ever see.
I, too, find myself rooting for the Cards. I think it is just one more way for J. P. Ricciardi to look like a real d-bag. He let Carpenter go for a dozen rosin bags and a water cooler to be named later. So if Carpenter goes out and is lights-out tonight, I will be rejoicing over Ricciardi's idiocy!

A couple of interesting links between Joe and Jack Buck's calls. Both were in game 6's. Both enabled the home team to tie the series. Both homers were hit to center field in the bottom of the 11th. Tim McCarver was the colour analyst for both games. And both games were played on October 26 (just twenty years apart). If history is going to continue repeat itself, my money's on the Cards. Finally, before the playoffs, I called the Cards over the Rangers in seven. My playoff bracket is 6-for-6. I hope I'm 7-for-7... it would be nice to be right for once!

October 28, 2011 @ 8:01 PM

Cheryl

I don't care one way or the other. I hate baseball. Now there is a break from it, thank goodness. No more baseball until April. Yaahoo. go Habs. Hey, they're getting better. They won their last two games.

October 29, 2011 @ 9:42 AM