Humble and Fred's Disaster Area

maskFreddie P is sharing a story today about the studio they're building for the new Humble and Fred Radio show. I've been to their new studio a couple of times now, including yesterday, so I'm going to spill the beans as to what this place is really like.

Firstly, it's in the most industrial area of South Etobicoke. We're talking Browns Line and Horner... a.k.a. Etobicoke's less glamourous side. The neighbourhood has all the flavour of tofu.

Then, when you enter the building, it's every man for himself. The place is perpetually under construction with temporary stairs and falling walls. It's like those abandoned buildings in Detroit you've seen on the internet.

Abandoned-Building

If you're lucky enough to find the new home of Humble and Fred, you'll notice it's got a desk and a couple of chairs. That's about it. Oh... and there's a very large aquarium full of little fish. In fact, during my visit yesterday that aquarium was getting cleaned. That made it the only cleaned thing in the entire building.

Now clearly the boys are working with Jeff Lumby to pretty the place up and ensure the audio is top notch. That audio is really all you should care about. What do you care if they're working out of a dumpster, so long as they're producing compelling free content for you?

The new site, by the way, is almost ready to go live at www.humbleandfredradio.com. I'll let you know when it does....

Cbab

I spent a chunk of my childhood in that neighbourhood. It's also one of the few neighborhoods that has minimal exposure on Google Maps for some reason.

I blame the tofu.

September 28, 2011 @ 6:08 PM

Dean

Humble beginnings... no pun intended.

September 28, 2011 @ 6:32 PM

Andrew

As someone who lives just south of Horner off of Lakeshore, I take exception to that.

I'm not sure where exactly you're talking about, but you obviously spend too much time east of Yonge Street.

I think I pretty much say the same thing about the Beaches... smells like ass around there 13 months of the year.

I'll show you where to goto in South Etobicoke....

Cheers,
Andrew

September 28, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

Beaches

It does smell like ass here! Maybe Humble and Fred are relocating???

September 28, 2011 @ 6:50 PM

Patty

I wouldn't live there. I hear it's coming along, but when I was there it was pretty rough.

Not my style!

September 28, 2011 @ 7:12 PM

@Andrew

Didn't mean to offend those who live in the area.

It's pretty industrial... where this office is. And it's a little sketchy, not that I completely mind sketchy. Even sketchy in Toronto costs a small fortune.

Invite me to your home and I'll review it.

September 28, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

andrew

A run down SHACK, appropriate for a RUN DOWN DUO.

September 28, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

maclaren

@andrew

We see what you did there. Clever boy!

September 28, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

headsup

Good to hear they are getting things up and running. At least they have Winston Rothchild to help them get that dump cleaned up.

September 28, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Ryan G

Hey don't underestimate the value of sketchy.

I live in "cabbagetown south" - translation - just a tad west of old/new/developing/ Regent Park. There are beautiful tree lined streets with million dollar houses one minute, and a hobo squeezin out a deuce in an alley the next.

You can walk to the eaton centre in ten minutes, and along the way you can stop in at the Filmore Hotel to see the gals working the lowly Tuesday afternoon shift - where almost all of the strippers have bullet wounds.

It's a cultural Yin and Yang, a demographic Leafs and Stanley Cup, and close to the absolute best (and worst) the city has to offer.

September 29, 2011 @ 7:24 AM

Digger

So this is what Jeff Lumby is up to these days...(?)

September 29, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

Jeff

Are the podcasts going to be registerred with iTunes so we can have them automatically downloaded to our iPhones - ready to go first thing in the morning for our commute?

September 29, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

Il Duce

Mike, would you blame Mayor Ford for the area being like this?

September 29, 2011 @ 11:25 AM

David

Digger 09.23...

I was going to ask the ame thing. What has Jeff been up to since vacating the temp gig on the FAN?

September 29, 2011 @ 12:26 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

no windows theyll get plenty of fresh air

September 29, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

kinda reminds of the scene in ghostbusters when they bought the firehouse

September 29, 2011 @ 12:42 PM

Andrew

What cross street is this picture from Mike? I was driving around and couldn't find the house....

I'm not offended by the remarks... I think this is a great area with some really nice pockets.

I've lived in this neighbourhood and have watched it change over the past 10 years. My father used to teach at Lakeshore so I remember what this area was like in the late 80's early 90's and it's gone from a really, hard working class area to more of a mixed location. You still have small, cottage like homes mixed in with mega houses that are starting to pop up everywhere.

I would love to see how their studio progresses and if Freddie is still playing ball hockey - I think I could find my old Wankee shirt somewhere.

Cheers,
Andrew

September 29, 2011 @ 8:15 PM

Chris

I work not far from there, on Dundas Street, and that street is a bit of a wasteland. I wouldn't mind visiting the Humble and Fred studio.

October 17, 2011 @ 8:29 PM