How Do You Nappers Do It?

napsHow do you guys do it? You grab a quick cat-nap and then you're back at it, ready to tackle the remainder of the day.

I've never been able to nap. If I fall asleep before bedtime, I wake up feeling awful. I just want to go back to bed and sleep through the night, no matter what time it is.

whatyear

I understand the benefits of napping, but I don't think I'm wired that way. How do you nappers do it?

RealDeal

When I want a nice long nap I listen to Humble and Fred.

September 7, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

Anonymous

If you don't like Humble and Fred, don't listen to them!

September 7, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

_Justink

I never used to nap, but just started occasionally doing so the past few months. I only feel awful after napping if I'm woken up before by body is ready to wake up.

For example, I'll feel awful if an alarm clock or another person wakes me up. If I just wake up on my own, I feel great and energized.

September 7, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

Mississauga Phil

I'm with Justin on that one...I can nap as long as I wake up on my own terms....

September 8, 2011 @ 8:02 AM

Ryan G

I've never been a napper. It effs me right up and I prefer not to have that kind of midday disorientation.

Of course, there was this one time I took a late afternoon nap on centre island and slept for many hours, missing the last ferry back to Toronto, but that was a result of about a thousand beers during a Ryerson frosh party years ago. Had to CastAway it for a night and scare up some game for food.

September 8, 2011 @ 8:58 AM

David

I had the pleasure of being a shift worker for 18 years. Did the whole bit - 8 and 12 hours, nights, eves, days. Most of the people I worked with could nap on their break on the night shift. I never could. I tried it a couple of times, but when I forced myself to wake up an hour later, I felt worse. I just gave up and learned to stay awake.

I'm also one of those people who can't go back to sleep if woken up (other than a nightly pee run). Once I'm up, I'm up. And as long as I can wake up on my terms, I'm in decent humour.

September 8, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

El Torpedo

I've found the key to napping was to really limit it to a very short period of time - less than 15 minutes. If I feel tired on a weekend afternoon, I find I can fall asleep quickly, nap for 10 and open my eyes feeling completely refreshed. However, if I nap for much longer than that (say half an hour or more) I wake up feeling fuzzy headed and cranky. I suspect if you go too long, you actually enter deep REM sleep and your body just wants to keep it going.

September 8, 2011 @ 10:49 AM