An Entry About R.E.M.

musicIt's funny how things change. In 2006, I listed my five favourite R.E.M. songs, and they were as follows:

1. Follow Me
  2. Drive
  3. Everybody Hurts
  4. Man On The Moon
  5. It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

I still love those five tunes, but I think my list would look something like this today:

1. Everybody Hurts
  2. Nightswimming
  3. It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
  4. Radio Free Europe
  5. Man On The Moon

And even though I've removed Drive from the top five, it's still sinful that they didn't include it on their greatest hits album.

Say what you will about R.E.M., but they were undoubtedly one of the best bands that came out of the 80s and persevered. They were critical darlings who left college radio for the mainstream, but they kept producing good music for the bulk of their 31 years.

Their songs shall live in playlists forevermore.

mike

They should have packed it in when there drummer left like led zeppelin.

September 22, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

NW

I'm ashamed to admit that the first time that I heard R.E.M. was on CHUM-fm. They were playing "So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)" when it was current.

And I can remember the first time I heard "Losing My Religion"... stuck on the 401 on the way to Detroit.

I guess I should feel guilty for having purchased their most recent CD "Collapse Into Now" but not having played it yet.

My personal favourite R.E.M. track would be "Texarkana".

September 22, 2011 @ 4:05 PM

The Flowers of Guatemala

You know, they did not necessarily have the luxury of picking what was on their greatest hits album. Although I think they have more control than most.

Accelerate was a good album. Better than the one before. I was initially upset but realized there's nothing more they can really do - it's better to pack in it than be in denial like U2

September 22, 2011 @ 4:32 PM

Tim

I will miss that wail. Have a great retirement REM and I look forward to the reunion tour when you play all those fantastic older songs you never played in concert anymore.

September 22, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

Used to be GTA Rob

Love Nightswimming. Also like At My Most Beautiful, which has a Pet Sound from the Beach Boys sort of feel to it. And the entire Out Of Time album is awesome. In fact I think the stronger songs on the album were the non single ones.

September 22, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

Gump

I remember back in 1983 reading Rolling Stone magazine and seeing Murmur had been the #1 college album for months and months.
I went out and bought it and I remember saying "what the hell is he saying"?
Didn't stop me from wearing out the grooves from Radio Free Europe.
Take that Twisted Sister!

September 23, 2011 @ 12:21 AM

TCN

One of those rare bands that pulled the mainstream into their world, rather than try to fit (compromise?) themselves into the mainstream.

My faves:

1. Perfect Circle
2. Fall On Me
3. Shiny Happy People
4. Letter Never Sent
5. It's The End Of The World etc.

Honourable mentions:

Finest Worksong
Superman
Cuyahoga
Talk About The Passion
Everybody Hurts

September 23, 2011 @ 8:24 AM

The Flowers of Guatemala

U2 In Denial? I Don't Think So.. They Still Produce Solid Albums (Their Last Not Being Their Best, but Not Bad).. U2 Still Put On The Best Live Shows.. REM Was Done 20 Years Ago.. I Was A Fan, But They Really Were Done 20 Years Ago.

September 23, 2011 @ 8:32 AM

Mr.Fascination

The Flowers of Guatemala;

September 23, 2011 @ 8:32 AM

The Flowers of Guatemala

Dude, Bono himself has started to admit they are irrelevant...

September 23, 2011 @ 9:02 AM

Mississauga Phil

Love REM..I remeber being 10 and my sister and her friends playing out of time over and over again..love that album.

U2 have become completly irrelivant...great live show of course, but their music has been in a steady decline in quality for the last 15 years (ever since Discoteque)

September 23, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

TCN

Flowers: Mr. Fascination is entitled to his opinion on U2 just as much as you are as entitled to yours, all-caps notwithstanding ("REM Was Done 20 Years Ago").

After all, once a fan always a fan... no? If not, why not?

One day shouldn't matter any more than one year, 10 years, or 20 years. Music is timeless!

September 23, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

Mississauga Phil

@TCN - Amen to music being timelss, however bands are not alwys timeless. In MY opinion, U2 stopped making good music a while ago. I still enjoy the classics, but I have no time for their new stuff.

September 23, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

MrFascination

I love it when people put words in people's mouths.. Bono has never said they have become irrelivant. He did say that once they make 2 crap albums and have irrelivant they would kill the band off.

Personally I think Achtung Baby is their best album.. Others would say Joshua Tree... Its all up for opinion, but most would agree that "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and "How To Dismatle.." Were good albums.

I'm a music fan... Very wide range of music.. Groups like U2, Linkin Park, and The Chili Peppers (Who might be close to being done too) are really the only bands keeping rock alive. Their are other bands (Carolina Liar, Muse, etc) that are gaining steam, but whats interesting is when you speak to these bands, they all seem to look at groups like U2 are doing and strive for it and model themselves after then. If you're irrelevant (like the Stones) no one would really care.

September 23, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Its kinda sucks they are calling it quits, their last two records kinda grew on me, they have stuck to their roots and never really tried to sell albums, saying they were irrelevant like some of you are saying 20 years ago are forgetting Monster which was released in 1993 i believe.

September 23, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

MrFascination

Buffalo Boy Mike, Your Right Monster Was A Good Album.. 18 Year Ago Is What I Should Have Said, Not 20.
I Don't Buy That "They Never Really Tried To Sell Albums"... Every Band Wants To Sell Albums, Its Weather They Go Down The Clive Davis Root And Sell Their Souls To The Record Company Machine.. REM Never Did That But I Feel After Monster They Lost Something. Something Changed And They Went From A College Band To Carrying The Banner For Alt-Rock.

September 23, 2011 @ 3:16 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ MrFascination - The fact that you would put Linkin Park in the same sentance at U2 and the Chilli's, and manage to bash the ICONIC Rolling Stones gives me reason to doubt you music knowledge to begin with...those little rap-rock posers couldn't carry the Rolling Stones luggage, much less compare to them as a band...thats like saying that Dane Cook has taken the acting torch from Diniro and Pacino...pathetic

September 27, 2011 @ 3:17 PM

Mississauga Phil

Yeah I Do Mention Linkin Park in the same category.. They are a great band... We've been around for about 10 years.. Put out good albums on a consistant bases. Fresh sound.

The Stones were great... In the 60-70's ever since they have been a joke. Really they have. Their concerts are like a traveling circus - the music is horrible...

September 27, 2011 @ 4:40 PM

Mississauga Phil

Clearly you weren't at SARSstock a few years back, the Stones put on an amazing show...upstaged only by the mind blowing performance of AC/DC....The Stones music is timeless...as where Linkin Park's time is running out..their 1st album was the only one worth listening to..they are in their 30's and write songs that sound like whiney quotes form highschool yearbooks...the stones music is still relivant 50 years after it was written...I can guarentee you your grnadkinds will have no idea who Linkin Park are 50 years from now....learn your music before you spew garbage about things you don't know

September 28, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

Max

U2 give great live show yes, but I have heard Songs of Innocence recently, and I don't think decline is the right word... I am thinking stagnation?

November 7, 2014 @ 7:39 PM