Wade Belak, Dead at 35

In MemoriumWade Belak was 35. He racked up 1,263 regular-season penalty minutes during a 15 season NHL career. Six of those 15 seasons were with the Toronto Maple Leafs where we enjoyed his sense of humour and friendly demeanor.

Here's Wade Belak vs Cam Janssen from a 2-1 victory over the Devils in 2007.

This sad news is just breaking, so I don't yet know the cause. I do know that we've heard about the premature passing of far too many NHL players this summer and this one in particular strikes close to home.

wade

Andrew

I'm kinda sad right now.

He was an awesome person who had a blast with the tech guys who work in TV. I was looking forward to hearing and seeing him on Predators TV this season.

Sad, sad news.

Andrew

August 31, 2011 @ 6:53 PM

_Justink

That fight is my fondest memory of Wade Belak. I was sad to see him traded, and much more saddened at the news of his death.

RIP Wade

August 31, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

Leafs Fan

So very sad!

Belak was a tough guy but so likable and funny. I heard him on the Dean Blundell Show and he was hilarious!

And his stuff on Leafs TV was great. And yes, so tough... there for his team mates.

A Maple Leaf forever. RIP Wade Belak #3!

August 31, 2011 @ 6:57 PM

Foul play is not suspected, but that's all we know right now.

Belak had been named as one of the contestants for the upcoming third season of the CBC's "Battle of the Blades" show. He was also scheduled to be part of the Predators' television broadcast team for the upcoming season. He was moving on after his retirement and seemed healthy.

This summer we lost Rick Rypien, Derek Boogaard and now Wade Belak. This is so sad...

August 31, 2011 @ 7:04 PM

Argie

Why am I not surprised? Its offical, hockey has become the new wrestling.

If only these meat heads would realize that its not healthy to pump 'riods or HGH into their bodies, you wouldn't see these deaths. The need for fame, money and women drives some people to do anything it takes.

This is also bad news for TSN and Sportsnet as we all know they only seem hire these goons as "analysts" when more qualified former players and coaches are skipped over.

I just hope we dont see another Jacko love-in for Belak.

August 31, 2011 @ 7:16 PM

Brother Ryan

This is indeed sad news. I met Wade at my work when him and McCabe came to sign autographs. McCabe signed my jersey (misspelled my name btw... still pisses me off) and Belak signed an autograph on his picture. I still have it at work. Sad. RIP BELAK!

August 31, 2011 @ 7:19 PM

@Argie

Sometimes you can be an insensitive prick.

We don't know the cause of death yet, but you've already condemned him for using "riods or HGH". Let's find out what happened before we pass judgement.

August 31, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

No Dope

Argie ya fucker you don't know shit!

Belak was clean. Keep your opinions on shit you don't know to yourself!

August 31, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

I'm told by a very good source that Wade Belak took his own life. So very, very sad.

August 31, 2011 @ 7:30 PM

Argie

OK 'Dope', if you know he was clean, then I'll take back everything I wrote. The fact is, you don't know - in fact, you don't know shite.

You seem awfully brave behind your keyboard in your mum's basement.

August 31, 2011 @ 7:31 PM

A couple of years ago, another local idol hanged himself in our city.

The songs says suicide is painless, but I disagree. It hurts so many like hell. It's the opposite of painless.

August 31, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

No Dope

ARgie he suffered from depression. Depression made him hang himself not roids or HGH.

Depression is a DISEASE.

August 31, 2011 @ 7:36 PM

elvis

Argie - you're off base. We know the increased size of the players and increased speed of the game is leading to an increased number of concussions. The NHL and NHLPA are doing little to counteract this trend. If the rumour is true about Belak's cause of death is true, this is more proof that concussions are serious, cause numerous secondary related issues, including depression and drug/alcohol addiction, which, in some cases, can result in suicide.

August 31, 2011 @ 7:39 PM

Argie

Dope,

I guess I just don't understand depression. I may seem insensitive but it really bothers me that someone in the prime of their life, with friends, family and a lot of cash would resort to killing themselves.

Having said that I still feel bad for his loved ones

August 31, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

twins from bolton

NO COMMENT other than RIP.

You did my sons proud not only signing an autograph but talking about sports overall to them after a game years ago.

August 31, 2011 @ 8:12 PM

Cheryl

I'm not a Leafs fan, but this is still sad. He was so young.

August 31, 2011 @ 8:20 PM

Sammy

Mike Flanagan and Wade Belak were both nice guys who played in Toronto. They also both killed themselves this week. Depression is indeed a disease.

August 31, 2011 @ 8:36 PM

Gump

So now we can definitely say that 2011 is hockey's (or more specifically NHL's) "Annus horribilis".
When you have the sport's best player out of the game (permanently?) with a concussion, 3 (marginal) players die with hockey violence being a contributing factor and continued discussion about head injuries, you have to wonder how the sport can focus on the future.

As for Wade, it is very sad. The one thing that makes me angry is the 2 young children left without a father. Suicide is like a bomb exploding within a extended family, negatively affecting everything in its' path.

August 31, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Oscar

Wade Belak is the greatest actor in the history of the world.

All we saw was a funny, friendly, charismatic man who loved his family and enjoyed life.

Then he killed himself.

September 1, 2011 @ 12:05 AM

David

RIP Wade.

I've been down the dark path of depression, and I know how it feels to look up at that unclimbable mountain every morning. I remember how angry I'd get when that awful blackness would invade my personal space and make me feel so small and powerless. Then I'd put on my smile, head off to work, and get on with my day.

I've never been an athlete or taken steroids. I'm not saying Wade did either, just that it has been a factor in previous athlete's deaths. It's become a trend this summer, and it's time for it to stop.

I never met Wade, but he seemed like a great guy. My heart goes out to his family.

September 1, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

Ryan

How about we reserve our comments on the rumors and speculation until after something is confirmed? There's been no official mention of suicide, nor any remotely credible rumors. Leave it be, and mourn the loss of one of the most well liked enforcers the NHL has ever seen.

September 1, 2011 @ 9:59 PM