Understanding Terrorism

question markThe image below speaks for itself, but I'm very interested in your opinion. Does this image hit the mark?

Understanding Terrorism

For Cheryl and other visitors without adequate vision to see this image, it depicts a picture of Ander Behring Brevik on the left and Osama bin Laden on the right. Beneath Ander Behring Brevik is states "RIGHT-WING CHRISTIAN TERRORIST (Represents SELF)" and beneath Osama bin Laden it states "FANATICAL MUSLIM TERRORIST (Represents All MUSLIMS)".

Sounds about right...

phil

difference is that a larger percentage of the muslim pop. vs. christian pop. support terrorism. not all do of course but more than christians

August 1, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

dale

1 of these bastards is already dead & hopefully the other get's sentenced to death.

Ander's actions on his own accord was just as shocking as Sammi's.

May you both burn in HELL

August 1, 2011 @ 1:22 PM

WordDog

I see this image as reflecting the fact that terrorism and terrorists knows no religion, culture or skin colour - although it does seem to be largely practised by members of the male gender.

August 1, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Anyone who says Christianity is any less violent than Islam need to look no further than Timothy McVeigh, Hitler, The Crusades was a Christian waged war.....Chritianity is full of just as much if not more bloodshed than many religions. The fact is that each religion does have its collections of individuals who take it to the extreme and form groups like Hamas or AlQaeda, but how is that any different than David Koresh (sp) in Texas.....all religions have their whacked out maniacs because if used the wrong way it brainwashes people.

August 1, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

Cheryl

I don't think religion matters. There are jerks and they want to be terrorists. Yes, let's just get rid of them all.

August 1, 2011 @ 4:36 PM

CQ

Neither is a Christian or a Muslim. Neither has or had a good wife and family either.

August 1, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

J9

How can the goof on the right represent all Muslims. Is this supposed to mean that all Muslims are terrorists, or that terrorists that happen to also be Muslim only have one leader?

There are plenty of idiots spouting religious views as their basis for being "right". On all levels, it is just so wrong.

August 1, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

Anonymous

I think most folks just want to live in peace and look after their families, yet there are that select few who take the terrorism route. In today's world, Muslim terrorism takes the direct route (we hate you and we are going to kill you) while Christian terrorism tends to be more secretive and partisan (we're gonna kill you but you won't know it till it's too late).

I lived in Sweden for almost a decade, and both Norway and Sweden are very similar in culture and living standards. Oh sure, there are crime issues, but rarely is there ever the feeling of being threatened or the worry of senseless violence. Heck, even the big cities are considered safe within reason and common sense.

So in a nutshell, rightly or wrongly, Muslim terrorism is expected, yet Christian terrorism comes as a shock. But both are wrong, and as dale said above, they can both burn in hell.

August 1, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

David

I wrote the above - just forgot to fill in my name again...

August 1, 2011 @ 9:24 PM

Irvine

Maybe read the Qu'ran and you'll discover that the Muslim faith espouses the merits of peace, harmony & non violence. In fact, placed next to the bible (yeah, imagine, I read both) it is MUCH less violent.

Here's how it works. The US needs an enemy. So it found one. Muslims. A culture that few Westerners understand.

And hey, Bush threatened to go to the corners of the globe to get the terrorists. Well that excludes England..and the IRA (which killed more folks than 911). But Norway has oil !. So the invasion might have happened

Cept this dude was a Christian. And probably was a Republican.

August 1, 2011 @ 11:29 PM

Hate to admit it...

but Irvine's right.

August 1, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

If there were no religion there would be a lot less violence Religion creates bias, when that bias towards others becomes extreme it results in violence. get rid of the religion and you eliminate a lot of the bias/predjudice and racism in this world

August 1, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

Ajax Mike

@Buffalo Boy Mike

And let's not forget Northern Ireland and all the other instances of Protestant v. Catholic (and vice versa) violence. Not to mention countless other examples of One-brand-of-Christian vs slightly-different-brand-of Christian violence.

That said however, I believe fanatics will be fanatics. I suspect that the kind of people that commit such acts (or induce other weak-willed individuals to do it for them) would simply find another reason if religion didn't exist. They are psychopaths, plain and simple.

August 2, 2011 @ 1:06 AM

Icarus

Ajax Mike:
What happened in Northern Ireland is not a good comparison. Labels like 'protestant' and 'catholic' were just flags of convenience. There was never any religious agenda to the fighting, it was a battle between different ideas of nationalism.

Stephen Colbert had a nice piece on this during the week. Shades of racism were just below the surface of a lot of the pundits in the American news.

August 2, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

Il Duce

It seems that some of the comments on this blog want to blame religion for these terrorist acts. Some even go on to say that if there were no religion there would be no wars/ terrorism etc. Some even believe it all the U.S’s fault. A bit of a stretch for all the above if you ask me.

It seems that people want to make this a Christian vs. Muslim thing, wrong. Both religions can be peaceful, loving faiths in their own way but unfortunately you have extremists who hijack each religion and turn it into something ugly.

There will always be problems in the world that exist between cultures unless we as a society educate people that we can all co-exist. If you don’t want to believe in a religion that’s fine, it’s your choice but leave those of us alone who have a faith. Most Christians and Muslims don’t condone these terrorist acts of a few who do it the name of their religions.

For those who want to hear John Lennon’s song ‘Imagine’, go ahead, I think it’s great. I tend to get more out of Billy Joel’s ‘We didn’t Start the Fire.’ Read the lyrics or listen to the song. Isn’t it wonderful that North Americans could possibly hear both songs being played on the airwaves back to back! Can’t say that about some places in the rest of the world.

August 2, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

Argie

OK, this is addressed to those factually challenged (a new PC way of saying you're ignorant):

Firstly, this murderer is not a Christian. He's pro gay, loves Naomi Klein, hates most religions, likes Hitler and Marx. He is simply an anti-Islam bigot who went a wee bit nuts.

If idiots like Mike want to lump him with Christians, go ahead. If you're keeping score at home, its over 16,000 attacks by muslims versus one attack by a supposed Christian since 9/11. I think the muslims have us beat there, dont ya think?

But if you're dealing with facts, this knob is simply against the muslim infestation of Europe. Gee, I wonder why he has a problem with that?

August 2, 2011 @ 7:48 PM

Ajax Mike

Like it or not Argie, the guy identifies as a Christian. You're right to reject him, but so are the vast majority (like 99.9% or so) of Muslims right to reject their religion's extremists.

And "Muslim Infestation?" Really? That's a really ugly word to apply to people, equating them to vermin and pests. Very ugly indeed.

August 2, 2011 @ 8:59 PM

Argie

Ajax Mike,

You're wrong. This is what the killer had to say about Christianity:
"“Regarding my personal relationship with God, I guess I’m not an excessively religious man. I am first and foremost a man of logic. However, I am a supporter of a monocultural Christian Europe. If you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God then you are a religious Christian. Myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God. We do however believe in Christianity as a cultural, social, identity and moral platform. This makes us Christian.”

He may want a Christian culture but he aint Christian.

August 2, 2011 @ 9:33 PM

Ajax Mike

Uhm.. it's right there in what you quoted: "Myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God. We do however believe in Christianity as a cultural, social, identity and moral platform. This makes us Christian."

Thus by his own words he considers himself Christian, just not a "Religious Christian."

I agree with you that no sane person would agree that anything he stands for is Christian. But my point about what most Muslims think of extremists is also valid and comparable.

I also note that you neither defend or apologize for your "infestation" comment.

August 3, 2011 @ 12:28 AM

Anonymous

Anders isn't a Christian (even if he says he's one), and Osama isn't/wasn't a Muslim (even if he says he's one).

If you read the bible and the qur'an, you'll see that what both those individuals did had nothing to do with Islam or Christianity. They are both just misguided individuals with twisted minds.

August 3, 2011 @ 3:17 PM

Argie

Ajax Mike,

No question these two nutbars are very similar. One major difference is that OBL prayed 5 times daily while this wank has never visited a church.

The other huge difference between islam and Christianity is that after 9/11 the most popular name for a baby boy in the muslim world was and still is Osama, not Mohamed. Do you honestly believe the name Anders will be overtaking overused names like Joshua, Matthew, Michael, Braden, etc with Christian families???

This tells me and other reasonable thinking people that islam is a cult - a way of thinking how everyone should live their life and how governments should operate (i.e. Sharia law, for eg.). Christianity is a religion and while it occasionally sticks its nose in the public square to defend true marriage and the life of the unborn, it does not tell or force governments how to operate. And again, I mention: 16,000 attacks since 9/11 for the 'alla akbar' peeps.

Now if you and the others here can't see the distinction, I can only hope you enjoy life under Sharia law when it makes it way here in about 30 years. I know I won't.

August 3, 2011 @ 6:42 PM

Roshan

Every religion has it's own set of fanatic fundaMENTALists and crackpots. Most of them are not dangerous to the general public but when they are dangerous it's usually on a large scale. I refuse to have anything to do with religion. I keep it well away from me.

August 4, 2011 @ 9:30 AM

Mississauga Phil

@Argie

...have you ever heard of a little thing called the crusades....christians killed more muslims than every terrorist attack of the 21st century combined...I am a christian and am prooud of my faith but the fact remainss that if a christian person kills a bunch of peoople, no one claims his actions and beliefs are consistant of all christians, but if a muslim does it then they must all want us dead...more blood has been spilled in the name of the Christian God than inn the name of Allah (i for one believe those are 2 names for the same deity who is probably sick of people on both sides killing in His name).....wow this is getting really heeavy..let's lighten the mood a bit...BEV'S HOT!! Don't give up on love yet hun...

August 4, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

Akbar Muhammad

@Argie

I'm an Indonesian Muslim and i don't agree terrorism. however, we need to defend our country from invaders such as allied armies after independence of Indonesia. we NEVER force other or kill for gaining "new member" since there's verse Al Baqoroh (The Cow): 256
"There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Tâghût and believes in God (ar. Allah), then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And God is All-Hearer, All-Knower."

i have "Muhammad" in my name and for your information, "Muhammad" is the most used name in the world. only few who uses "Usamah" or "Osama"

November 16, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Akbar Muhammad

@Mississauga Phil

You're right
In Crusade, Crusaders kill innocent defeated civil people in Jerusalem while later Saladin (Sholahuddin Al Ayyubi) defeat crusader and did't avenge them and let all religion live in peace (once again in Jerusalem)

In Spain, Christians inquisited and force Muslims and Jews to be Christians. and for the who don't wan't it, Christians casted out Muslims and Jews. and guess what? Muslim country (Ottoman Empire) welcomed not only Muslims but also Jews

November 16, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Akbar Muhammad

@Argie (again)

don't be a Shariaphobia. ever heard Sharia Bank? it's an Islamic Bank based on Sharia without usury/interest since it's haram/unlawful
fyi, one of the world leader in Sharia Banking is Islamic Bank of Britain with $18billion (£12billion)assets in London. you wonder? so do i.

Sharia consists of 4 laws:
Worship
Commerce
Crime and Punishment
Marriage, Divorce, and Inheritance

November 17, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

Lori Davidson Hoyes

Help me understand how and why our military has used me to help fight, investigate terrorism and organized crime and give me no rights and allow me to not have any life nor freedom nor visitation with my son...I have suffered for four fukin years now....helped non stop..and want justice...want answers...and my rights set in place! I need to be honoured, my son saved my life...he needs to be honoured as well...my son..deserves a metal...he deserves his mother in his life with no fear or worries of his or my safety being compromised....my anger IS jUSTIFYABLE....and I will not stop barking until my rights ar met! If u have any concerns or wAnt to help...I am at empress motel...niagara falls ontario..room 205. I am fed up...tired and refuse to help and be our military puppet anymore...I have helped too much already only because I care and have sacrificed everything! Is this how you protect us? By using us and then thinking u will get away with it? I want to know what person in authority is going to renew my faith in Canada..and renew my faith in our justice system..I will go public about all of this...and every nasty detail of me being tortured to save ppls lives! Ad what about my son...who wants to explain to my 16 year old boy how and why his mom has been treated so unfairly?

October 22, 2013 @ 11:07 AM