A Bread Factoid That Will Blow Your Mind

foodI'm a bit of a carb addict. I love breads of all kinds in various formats. In fact, I'd be very happy living off of cereal, pasta, pizza, sandwiches and toast.

I keep my bread in the freezer. When I need bread, I'll take it out of the freezer and either let it thaw at room temperature or defrost it in the microwave if I'm in a hurry. That's how I roll.

I would think keeping bread in the fridge would keep it fresh longer than keeping it on the counter. That makes sense to me. After all, the refrigerator would delay the staling process, right?

Wrong! Today I found out bread goes stale about six times faster in the refrigerator then when kept at room temperature. It's got something to do with the starch molecules... here's a nice write up about it if you're curious.

EGConsidermymindblown

Mind: blown.

Teena in Toronto

I discovered that factoid on "Big Bang Theory".

Unfortunately who uses a dozen hamburger buns in a week?!

August 18, 2011 @ 12:26 PM

Irvine

I bake all my own bread, bagels, buns, pizza dough, etc. You really notice how long the store bought stuff lasts because of preservatives.

August 18, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

@Irvine

Bake me some bread!

August 18, 2011 @ 1:50 PM

The_Voice

Ok, fine, it goes stale faster in the refrigerator: But what about mold forming? Faster / Slower in the refrigerator / freezer?

August 18, 2011 @ 2:13 PM

Billy Bob

@ Irvine, is there anything you don't do?

August 18, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

McNulty

Irvine does not write about his love on Ontario.

That's what Irvine doesn't do.

I stopped eating bread. I used to love it.

And I, like Tina, learned about the bread/fridge thing on The Big Bang Theory. TV does teach you things!

August 18, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

David

I just read this too, first seeing it on a website called "Today I Learned". Fascinating info.

I take a lot of multi grain buns for work, and they just live in the freezer till I'm ready to defrost or thaw them. We often buy a fresh baked bread for the weekend, and the leftovers just stay in the oven till they are used again.

Yes, my wife and I are "oven-putter-inners" when it comes to leftovers not requiring the fridge or freezer.

August 18, 2011 @ 3:13 PM

Pete

I've been trying to tell my wife this for years. I hate that bread goes from the store to the fridge in a few hours. Never a fresh sandwich! sigh

My rule, on the counter for 1/2 of the best before date - 1 day and then in the fridge.

--Pete

August 18, 2011 @ 3:45 PM

Mike from Lowville

I've been making bread, pasta dough and pizza dough for over 30 years. My mother brought me back a bread maker from the States in the early 80's before you could get them here. That machine helped me sell 2 previous homes. Nothing like the smell of baking bread at an open house!

August 18, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

Mike from Lowville

Oh and I forgot to mention, my sautéed onion and extra old cheddar cheese loaf is to die for. Baking some of that for this weekends family reunion pig roast this Sunday at the family farm. Drool...

August 18, 2011 @ 4:14 PM

Anonymous

You keep it in the freezer and take out the amount you need for that meal.

August 18, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

Cheryl

I never put bread in the fridge. It goes from the freezer to the toaster. That's the way to do it. Go Habs.

August 18, 2011 @ 5:57 PM

Roshan

Zoink! That is a new fact for me. I have bread a lot for breakfast & dinner. And we always keep it in the fridge after we open the packet.

August 19, 2011 @ 12:56 AM