Neil Young on 102.1 The Edge

radioHey kids, ever heard of Neil Young? Here's a little thing I wrote for the guy a few years back. Or, you can browse all 346 entries* on this entry about the living legend, if you prefer.

You never hear Neil Young on 102.1 The Edge. Sure, they played City and Colour's cover of Cowgirl in the Sand, and Bono joining Pearl Jam for Rockin' in the Free World (fun fact: Ed Vedder chose Bono over me that night!), but I've never actually heard Neil.

Wait a minute... did Neil get any airplay during his Pearl Jam years, when he released Mirror Ball? Maybe Downtown? I don't think so...

Neil Young's getting plenty of airplay on 102.1 The Edge these days. Redlight King's Old Man samples Neil's Old Man and 102.1 is currently playing it every hour on the hour. Luckily, it's good.

Neil Young on 102.1 The Edge... better late than never.

* actual number probably lower

Fredericton steve

I hate

June 6, 2011 @ 11:21 AM

Fredericton steve

I hate this cover

June 6, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

Cambo

I agree. This stinks. Rap is hardly "music". It's just poems to a beat. All they did was rip Neil's melody.

Hate.

June 6, 2011 @ 12:07 PM

4x4 Time

Hey speaking of Neil Young - I was having dinner at the Chemong Lodge on Saturday night in Bridgenorth (by Peterborough). After dinner we sat outside listening to a band on the patio. We started talking to an older guy about music, he seemed pretty knowledgeable, nice guy. When we were leaving, our waiter said the old guy was Neil Young's brother, who apparently lives in the area. Not sure if it was bullshit, but he did kind of look liked Neil....

June 6, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

Ryan

I feel like they may have played something from Neil Young's Sleeps with Angels album, especially given that it was post Kurt Cobain's death, but I can't remember for certain, probably because I may not have switched over from Q107 until later that year...

June 6, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

Quinny.

How about Cinnamon Girl by Type O Negative

June 6, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

Cheryl

I heard of Neil Young. Has anyone heard Comes a Time which Doc Walker Covered. They're a Canadian country music group from Winnipeg.

June 6, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

CQ

Despite owning a double live cassette of his Weld album of 1991, I had never heard of his Long May You Run song which he performed at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

June 6, 2011 @ 5:35 PM

Sammi

Really Mike?? You think this Vanilla Ice version is good?? Oh wait...I forgot..you like a lot of crap.

June 6, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

Rob

Problem is, the edge is of NO USE when it comes to rating/discovering/enjoying new music.
AND, they are of no use when it comes to celebrating how 'new music' got to where it is today.

June 6, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

Ryan G

nopes. me no likes.

but that guy looks a little like roy halladay. wonder what his cutter is like.

June 7, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

Hector

This is awful.

June 7, 2011 @ 1:30 PM

dale

Terrible - a WASTE of a great song by a even better artist.
NEIL RULES.

June 7, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

Fantomex

Typical white people anti-rap bullcrap comments. But what else is new?

June 8, 2011 @ 1:36 AM

Cambo

@Fantomex

So, you have one of those new computer monitors that can see the colour of skin?

The "song" is crap.

And yes, I am anti-rap- at least rap that rips classic music and uses it as a bed.

June 8, 2011 @ 8:21 AM

Karl Parsons

Redlight King is Kazzer, Kazzer is back from the dead!

June 8, 2011 @ 10:28 AM

Hector

@Fantomex...I'm black...can you tell me why I hate it?

June 8, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

A.R.

Cambo: Rap is a way of singing, and hip hop is music. The rap is the melody, a melody difficult to play on an instrument other than the human voice but doable. The harmonies are provided by samples, and sampling provides artist opportunities for a collage-style of music. Lastly, of course it has a rhythm.

So with a rhythm, melody, and harmony, how can it not be music?

June 8, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

Cambo

@A.R.

No, "sampling" is a way of not actually "writing" since the melody and rhythms were written by someone else. Sampling never does the original artist any service- other than some measly royalties.

Take away the sampling, and rap sounds like every other rap.

June 9, 2011 @ 9:15 AM

paul

This isn't' good at all!!!!!

June 9, 2011 @ 2:39 PM

jason

total fucking corporate crap this is so bad that i'd like to stick a q tip in my ear drum ASAP

June 11, 2011 @ 2:07 PM

RileySirot

yo show some respek, atleast new artists are sampling from good music

August 6, 2011 @ 3:16 AM

AwfulSampling

Stop playing this. I for one turn my radio off when it's on. SACRILEGE! At least I'm comforted knowing someone paid a nice chunk of cash for this..

September 3, 2011 @ 11:21 AM