Darrin Pfeiffer Fired From 102.1 The Edge (And LoriAnn, too!)

radioMammas don't let your babies grow up to be radio DJs. In radio, you're hired to be fired. And you don't get to say goodbye.

This entry started on Twitter. Mike Gamble let me know about LoriAnn and Darrin Pfeiffer's dismissals, and LoriAnn herself chimed in.

tweets

I first learned LoriAnn was fired from 102.1 The Edge in a comment on this blog on February 11th. In an email exchange with LoriAnn tonight I confirmed she was fired on February 10, told by Edge management "we're going in a different direction and unfortunately it affects your employment".

That's literally all she was told. She's not 100% sure what happened with Darrin Pfeiffer.

I believe they told him that they'd keep him on staff for emergency fill in and situations where they had nobody else... and after a few months re evaluated that and asked him what he wanted and he said let me go. Thats just hearsay tho.

The one good thing about being fired from radio is that you can't take it personally. All the greats have been canned once or twice during their career. It's a rite of passage.

Neville Ross

The Edge is dead. Why bother talking about it? Time to move on.

May 20, 2011 @ 2:37 AM

Sammi

Seems like anyone with a hint of individuality or talent gets fired from The Edge. What a joke of a station.

May 20, 2011 @ 4:48 AM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Neville, not the Edge...The Spirit of the Radio is dead what was left of it died when Martin was let go and we all know what happened shortly after.
I listen to no music station in my car anymore I listen to my Ipod with a lot of humbld fred clips as well as some Mae Pauts/Pheonix/Whiskey Saigon clips built in on my playlist

May 20, 2011 @ 8:14 AM

Jacob

I'm no longer surprised by radio firings, unless it's a megaton one.

The Edge's playlist has improved slightly over the past few months.

Slightly.

I don't dread turning on the radio in my car anymore. But I imagine that's a temporary situation.

May 20, 2011 @ 10:48 AM

Anonymous

Let me guess, she's too young for their new direction because their new direction is an oldies station with a playlist that looks like this:

Elvis Presley-"Good Luck Charm"

Dean Martin-"Sway"

The Chordettes-"Lolli-pop"

(Just Kiddin' Around, But Who Knows?, It's a possibility, The Edge's Ratings Aren't The Highest.)

May 20, 2011 @ 5:06 PM

Irvine

Jacob's comment about the slightly improved playlist is true; assuming you mean by adding more AAA making it better.

Something isn't right in Edge land. You've got a playlist that features Foster the People and Adele yet has jock humour in the morning. Fearless Fred is a great announcer but he fits more with AC DC than with Adele.

No one will admit it but it looks like Ross's experiment went wrong. It never was 99 The Fox Ross. Then again that station has no ratings in Vancouver either. Hell, it's 2+ numbers are just above the Peak

May 20, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

Anonymous

@Anonymous
Oldies seems likely, there are no FM oldies stations in the Toronto Market, and there are lots of elderly retired people who have tonnes of time to listen to the radio.

I'm picturing "Taking you back to when you were young and when times were good, 102.1 Times Fm, man where has the time gone?"

May 20, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

Rob

The Edge while far from perfect, is not a horrible station. Like any mainstream stations they repeat the same playlists over and over. I can't stand Nirvana anymore because of it. That being said, I discovered a lot of smaller Indie bands because of that station. Ill Scarlett, the Arcade Fire (at the time), Tokyo Police Club, Crash Kings, etc. Arcade Fire won best artist at an award show in the US and no one knew who they were. Glad a station plays them all the time here.
As for the firings, it is the nature of business. How many television shows you see lasting for more then 3-4 years? Stations evolve and change as does the audiences taste. You think if Lori Ann was getting good rating they would had fired her? I doubt it. Also, what made her so great and unique?
She seems like a great person, but, wasn't my cup of tea. I used to work overnight shifts and listened to her for about year. Eventually, I switched to a different station because I found other options I liked better. Best of luck to her.
I think the Edge is pretty decent these days. The Dean Blundell show at times gets tiring, but they're hilarious at others. They do rely on crude humour but they come across as good open minded people. Derek is a great addition to the show. I was upset to see Jason go. However, I must admit the show is better as Derek has gotten more comfortable (then when Jason was on it).
Josie while not my cup of tea serves her purpose. A straight forward voice safe for work radios. I think Fred is hilarious . My only issue is that he always sounds pre recorded. I know no radio is live, but, most of the voices feel as if they're.
Bookie is amazing. I prefer him in that time slot.
The Edge I find has a solid balance of catering to the mainstream while playing a solid portion of amazing Indy bands. They make me want to punch myself when I hear Nirvana three times a day or Radiohead (and I enjoy those bands), but, please the hell out of me when they introduce me to a Hollorado.

May 20, 2011 @ 11:16 PM

Jason from Sudbury

The only time I listen to the Edge now is when Loveline is on and that's about it. Nothing against Josie but I'm surprised she hasn't gotten fired yet considering how long she's been there. Hope her and Booky manage to stick around.

May 21, 2011 @ 4:25 PM

Andrew

As long as Josie stays slim and continues to talk about penises on air every day, she won't get canned.

May 23, 2011 @ 1:44 PM

Mike

The Edge I've grown disenchanted with. The morning show while I used to enjoy listening to, is pretty much the same stuff over and over again, (I can't stand when they have Psychic Nicky on, and it seems they can't either). While I like Josie Dye, even she gets tiring at times. The only hosts I really enjoy listening to now are Bookie and Adam, to me the best time to be listening to the Edge is on Saturday and Sunday mornings when Adam is on, great music and great banter seem to follow him around.

May 25, 2011 @ 8:14 PM

Thankful

I have to say I'm ok with losing LoriAnn, her voice drove me nuts! I hope she finds work elsewhere though, just because she didn't appeal to me doesn't mean she doesn't appeal to others.

June 8, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

David

Lori Ann use to carry that radio station on her shoulders. Working nights is never a glamorous job. She did a good job on the radio; CFNY just don't treat it's employees very well.

June 15, 2011 @ 6:14 AM

John A

LoriAnn is doing weekends on 107.5 KoolFM in Barrie.

December 31, 2011 @ 8:41 PM

Sean

I get a kick out of listening to David Marsden on 94.9 on the weekends brings me back to the days when 102.1 was groundbreaking. Still like the edge, Fred is a great addition and Bookie is awesome. The morning show is still mostly funny but getting tiring

September 25, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

George Miller

They fire anyone with talent but keep a dumb ass bitch
Josie Dye who can't sing O Canada.The station is awful