5 Reasons to be Psyched About Next Season #leafs

leafsThat was far more fun than I thought it would be. We limped into the all-star break, with little hope and almost no reason to care, and have gone 15-7-5 since.

I don't know about you, but I sure started to care again. Leafs games became must-see-tv, scoreboard watching became an integral part of the process again, it was a lot of fun.

But alas, it's over. There's always next season, and I've got 5 great reasons to be psyched about the Maple Leafs 2011/12 edition.

1. James "Optimus Reim" Reimer
I'm afraid to even talk about this kid for fear of ruining his career. On that note, on to #2...

2. The Mac-Russian Line
Phil who? Our top offensive line all season has been Mikhail Grabovski, Clarke MacArthur and Nikolai Kulemin. All three have impressed me, especially Grabovski. He's our true all-star.

3. Our Lord and Savoir Luke Schenn
He's back, baby! And the young Jedi has more hits than any other defenseman in the league. It's a fact, you can look it up.

4. Phaneuf and Aulie
The emergence of Mohammed Aulie and the recent return to power of Dion Phaneuf has made this my favourite defensive tandem. How ya like that trade with Calgary now?

5. Mike Brown's Mustache
Mike Brown's mustache has been epic all season. Who wouldn't be psyched about another season of this?

62177666

Roshan

Those are good reasons and that is one cool mustache.

March 27, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

Freddie P.

Problem is Mike, we're psyched at the END of every season, why should this one be any different?
This team still has a long way to go. And they need a new coach.

March 27, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

elvis

No guarantee Mac is back though.

Big difference Freddie is we're winning with youth, not guys at the end of the their career. We're a long way away but at least we've got some pieces a bunch of draft picks.

March 27, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

Pat MaGroin

First paragraph there is a reference to "we"
What number and position do you play so I may watch for you?

Five reasons not to be psyched about 2011/2012
1. MLSE
2. MLSE
3. MLSE
4. MLSE
5. MLSE

March 27, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

CQ

Reason #6: The sale!
That, and our Guardian was tougher than many of the others'.

March 27, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

Cheryl

No, no playoffs next year either. My Habs are going to be there. I know, my Habs haven't scored a goal in the last three games, but it will end and they'll start scoring goals again. Just wait. Go Habs.

March 27, 2011 @ 2:50 PM

Digger

I see that mustache and think "Eat your heart out, Lanny McDonald". (Or at least, go have a HungryMan Dinner.)

March 27, 2011 @ 5:38 PM

dale

Is Wilson back next year?? Hopefully NOT.

Cheryl Your Habs are too small in size & won't get out of the 1st round of playoffs. They'll be lucky to win 1 game against any team. They haven't scored a goal in 3 games, what's the problem??

March 27, 2011 @ 6:40 PM

Digger

@TorontoMike - That is exactly what I was thinking/alluding to! How many remember that ad?

Relating to the post about Roger Abbott - the Air Farce did an excellent parody of that ad (not yet found on YouTube).

March 27, 2011 @ 7:53 PM

Anonymous

My Habs are in this awful slump right now, but they'll get out of it and score again. They're too good to be in it a long time. Wait until Tuesday when they will score again and win again. My Habs will be in the playoffs and win the cup. Remember last year they went further than you guys all said they would go. Well, this year they will win the cup. The Leafs have no chance. They won't make it. Go Habs. Ole ole.

March 27, 2011 @ 8:46 PM

Irvine

Rather than write this out Mike, why not just copy and paste your posts from the past 6 years. The Phaneuf trade is still a flop. You've got a 6 million dollar salary for a lousy captain and a defensemen that has a - rating.

Ya know Mike, I wish I was like your real estate agent or something. You're so brainwashed I'd make a small fortune off you.

And as for the Leafs rebuilding oh PULEASE. This is Toronto, not Edmonton. While Edmonton fans might have the patience to wait 3 years for talent to improve, Toronto does not. Nor does it have the ownership that has any interest in doing so.

What you don't get Boon is that you are the problem. As long as you support mediocrity, you'll get it. No doubt you drive a GM too just because you "Support the CAW"

The Leafs. Rebuilding Since 1967™

March 28, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

@Irvine

You're a typical Toronto hating westerner. Do you really think Calgary won the Dion Phaneuf, Fredrik Sjostrom, and Keith Aulie for Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Ian White trade?

Burke blew up this team. Who's left from three seasons ago? It's a very young team, and for the first time in a while, real hope for the future. That's what I support. I support hope.

Enjoy Stajan, Hagman, Mayers and White. Oh yeah...

March 28, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

CQ

Hold on a sec 'Michael'. Let me make up a bowl of Uncle Bob's Popcorn first :)

March 28, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

Cheryl

Well, start cheering for a good team like my Habs. They will beat Atlanta tomorrow and the Sabres will beat your Leafs. Leafs will not make the playoffs. No way. Ole ole. Ole ole.

March 28, 2011 @ 7:43 PM

Irvine

@Boon

Bah ha hah. I was a Toronto dude for years. How the hell do you think I listened to CFNY 102.1? I was also a Leaf fan until the Leafs started sucking (97 I think).

And yep, Calgary won that trade. Not by much but then look who we had in charge.

Dif between Calgary and Toronto? We have jobs. We have hope. We fire our GM mid season when fans say "get rid of the bum". And we have a market 1/5 of Toronto LOL and we're STILL better than you and you're the richest team in the league.

You're clueless Boon. You are the reason the Leafs suck. I support winners. If you can't win, come back when you can. Then I'll support you. You support losers. But you support the Liberals so it's not surprise

Call in Elvis your buddy now.

March 30, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

Mike

@ Irvine

Calgary won that trade? Hmm, i would take Dion Phaneuf at 6m/yr over Matt Stajan at 4.5m/yr. By the way, out of that trade do any of the other players your team got still even for Calgary? Good thing that bum still isn't your GM. 4.5mil for Stajan hahaha

As for supporting a winning team, who did you support for the first half of the season? Certainly not Calgary seeming how they were just as bad as Toronto

March 31, 2011 @ 8:08 PM