Difference Between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained

globeI found this very educational. If you're not sure exactly what the difference is between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and jolly ol' England, you must watch this.

Oscar

I can't stomach the thought that Ireland is part of the UK

February 20, 2011 @ 8:54 PM

CQ

Heritage Classic pre-game music questions: (I need twitter and followers)

1) WHO was playing shortly before the national anthems today? The male singer was also at the piano and sounded slightly familiar.
2) AND were there a few white stripes across the giant Canadian flag's red borders? The camera work seemed to avoid showing the flag as it began to be unfurled - as compared to the U.S. flag during the first anthem.
Thanks in advance.

February 20, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

1. I think you're talking about Five For Fighting.

February 20, 2011 @ 11:19 PM

Icarus

Thank for the wrong information Mike.

'When people say they are Irish they are referring to the Republic of Ireland'

Bullshit. Many people from N. Ireland do in fact consider themselves Irish and hold Irish citizenship. Simply not a majority.

Although functioning as a country in terms of a parliament, it does not hae its own passport or its own head of state. Those from the north that do not consider themselves Irish, call themselves British, as in from Great Britian, a geographically seperate place from Northern Ireland.

Caused by the partioning of Ireland, it is a basket case, a statelet (2/3 of a province) that Britain kept, and broke.

Despite the rhetoric, you'll find that most people 'south of the border' do not want it back. It would cost the republic a fortune.

February 21, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

elvis

@Icarus - a number of years ago on my first trip to the Republic, I asked my friend, who was born and lives in Dublin, when their equivalent to Canada Day is. He responded by saying that until all of Ireland is free, they cannot celebrate their independence.

February 21, 2011 @ 3:38 PM

Icarus

Elvis:

As well you may be aware, the world is full of idiots. Ireland is no exception....

The equivalent of Canada day is St. Patricks Day, despite your friends response, there is plenty of celebrating.

February 21, 2011 @ 4:54 PM

elvis

@Icarus - St. Patrick's Day is a Catholic Feast Day, started in 1903. The Republic was founded in 1922.

Welcome to the world of idiots.

February 21, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

elvis

And, if you want to be technical, Ireland was recognized by the Brits in 1949 but I'm guessing most Irish don't give a fuck if they recognize them or not.

February 21, 2011 @ 7:04 PM

Icarus

I'm not sure how being recognized by Britain changes anything or was relevant to the exchange above...

Although it began as a Catholic Feast Day, St. Patricks Day is more a national holiday. Religous celebration of the day is left mainly to the elderly and the devout. For everyone else, it is a national day of celebration. You can take my word for it.

And I was calling your Irish friend an idiot, not you in my previous post.

February 22, 2011 @ 8:52 AM

elvis

The fact remains that St. Patrick's Day is not Independence Day.

February 22, 2011 @ 9:19 AM

Icarus

Seeing as the head of state of Canada remains the Queen, I would say that Canada Day is not Independence Day either.

February 22, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

elvis

Strong argument that Canada won't actually be a free country until we are a Republic. Given that at the the last opportunity the people were given to choose, we chose to be a Commonwealth nation, I'd suggest it's much different than Northern Ireland. Many both in the north and south feel as though they never got the choice, rather the border was imposed.

February 22, 2011 @ 12:12 PM

Icarus

Was there something paticularly offensive in the comments that they had to be deleted?

February 23, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

Everyone:

The hard drive failed yesterday afternoon. Had to rebuild everything via backups. There's a short period of time where I lost comments - I'll try and get them back.

I never delete comments unless there's a very good reason such as a personal threat or the posting of personal information.

February 23, 2011 @ 11:16 AM