Andrew Krystal's Mornings End at The FAN 590

radioWell, that didn't take long.

A mere five months after Andrew Krystal took over the as morning host at The FAN 590, he's out. The experiment has come to an end.

As tame as Landry and Stellick were, Krystal took the opposite approach, seemingly working very hard at being shocking. He was clearly aiming at the kids, and this 36-year old couldn't stomach most of it. He lost me, and I'm guessing he bled out. This is a pretty significant move for a guy who just signed a 3-year contract.

I asked last June if Mike Richards was coming to do mornings at The FAN 590. Apparently, Mike Richards turned down the job last September over pay issues, but is now on his way to the competition.

With Andrew Krystal out, Greg Brady is taking over on an interim basis. Who will get the gig permanently at The FAN 590? Does anyone have an educated guess?

Sam In Scarbrough

The fan/590 (aka WKRP) has dug such a hole with Mr. Kollins as PD no one cares anymore
BRING on TSN/1050 Sports Radio
They will cream 590 in the ratings!!!

February 10, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

Oscar

Why would they get rid of him? He barely had time to prove himself. I liked AK - especially when Jeremy Roenick would co-host.
I thought AK being good buddies with Bob-Cat would save his ass..

February 10, 2011 @ 5:59 PM

Anonymous

Hey! How about Paul Romanuk!!

February 10, 2011 @ 6:12 PM

Romy

Hey. I can't believe someone posted the above. I completely deny any knowledge of the above post.

February 10, 2011 @ 6:15 PM

Romy

…I'm fact, I'd only even consider it if Freddie P was the co-host.

February 10, 2011 @ 6:29 PM

Sam In Scarbrough

@ Oscar..DAH being (good buddies) with Bob -Cat (the best known sports radio guy In Canada) and highest ratings,and still couldn't save his ass tell you something???
YES he was that BAD!!

February 10, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

Pat MaGroin

Hahaha Freddie P as a co-host
Ya he would come to work for 4 days and be all over it,then,disappear for two weeks!!!!!!

February 10, 2011 @ 6:39 PM

Thurston Howell

Fan/590 are in such a mess that they are handing the new TSN/1050 Sports Radio Super ratings from their start-up right till the end of 2011.
TSN radio have just won the jackpot without having a minute on air....
How sweet is that???

February 10, 2011 @ 6:53 PM

JP

I think maybe some of you are overestimating how easy it will be for TSN Radio to just swoop in and have great ratings.

The Team failed, and 640 never gave The Fan a serious scare. The Fan has been on the air for a LONG time and has a lot of brand recognition. TSN will be starting from scratch.

Plus, I personally think they're pretty strong with Blair/Brady/McCown. I enjoy all of those shows quite a lot.

Krystal was definitely not a right fit though. I'm really curious to see who they go for.

February 10, 2011 @ 7:27 PM

dale

Krystal was brutal as constantly cutting guests off when they were talking. Heard him with Melrose last week & Melrose virtually hung up on Andrew towards the end of the conversation.

Doug Anderson from Rogers play-by-play for Battalion games would be my choice as he is very informative in all sports & seen him many times on other sports shows & he is very good.

February 10, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

Cynthia Spreadbottom

blair?? when I listen to the radio I don't wanna hear someone with Turrets
blair interview :question huh ah uh uh a huh ah then half words huh ah umm great radio for high school

February 10, 2011 @ 8:09 PM

DeanVernonWormer

Krystal was miscast as a morning sports host....or even a sports host all together. I'll never forget that awkward moment when he asked Jesse Litsch how his rehab from his arm surgery was going......when in actual fact Litsch was rehabbing from hip surgery.

Bring back Hogan.

February 11, 2011 @ 12:49 AM

DeanVernonWormer

Before Krystal started with the Fan, there was a guy who temporarily filled in after Stellick/Landry were canned. Anyone remember his name, and what happened to him after Krystal started?

February 11, 2011 @ 12:57 AM

JP

Dean - I believe that was Jeff Lumby. I think he's an actor.

February 11, 2011 @ 1:59 AM

Sammi

Kollins should be fired for what he has done to the Fan.

February 11, 2011 @ 6:16 AM

ROMEO

Don Kollins ( with a K ) is WORTHLESS all ways looking to blame others ! Don take some RESPONSIBILITY for your actions..........

February 11, 2011 @ 8:21 AM

Jeff Lumby is a long-time radio host. He used to work with Humble Howard back in the day, before Humble got the call from CFNY.

February 11, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

elvis

I never really liked either FAN morning show so I'm willing to write that off.

The rest of the changes, however, are awesome. Jeff Blair is fantastic (even if he does stumble at times), Greg Brady is a big talent and you can't beat the Bobcat.

Hogan is terrible and fits in while as only doing Argos. Stellick is best in the Blue and White show.

February 11, 2011 @ 9:30 AM

Al

I'd never wish anyone to lose their job, but Krystal managed the impossible, he made me switch from the Fan to AM640 in the mornings. Now that he's gone, I'll probably switch back...unless the new guy sucks too.

February 11, 2011 @ 9:49 AM

Wayner

Where / how can i vote for Freddie P and Romy in the morning?

February 11, 2011 @ 9:49 AM

Jim

How about Gareth Wheeler? Since the Grill Room is no longer airing he would be a good choice. He was lively and knew his Toronto sports scene and sports in general.

February 11, 2011 @ 10:57 AM

Oscar

Mike - you couldn't stomach it?

I find it hard to stomach your love of the leafs and your ass kissing of humble and fred.

ps. I hope you and your high park buddies love playing with your baseball and bat

February 11, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

Jim

Krystal was terrible.
Bring back stellick

February 11, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

Jim

Krystal was terrible.
Bring back stellick

February 11, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

@Shakes1

- Everyone was fired at the Fan because of cost cutting
- Krystal's ratings were brutal no one listened, he's not a sports guy or a morning guy and all the ads they had for him he'll eat you for breakfast, more alarming then your alarm clock.
- Mike Hogan had great guests and talked about all kinds of different topics.
- Jeff Blair just promotes his newspaper, has no guests and talks about the Leafs all day every day.
- Greg Brady is great

February 12, 2011 @ 12:24 AM

JP

Krystal's weren't great, but they weren't brutal:

Also - I'm a big Jays fan and Blair gives a great amount of Jays coverage I find.

I agree with you on Brady.

February 12, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

Neal

I'd like to see Damian Cox and Gord Stellick host the morning show. When they're on together, there's a great mixture of jokes, information, analysis, and that makes for great listening.

With the competition set to start in April, Kollins would be best to use some familiar voices that have some chemistry.

February 12, 2011 @ 3:15 AM

elvis

Cox is going to be splitting time with Brunt on Primetime. They already made that announcement.

February 12, 2011 @ 7:58 AM

Jones

The worst thing about Krystal going is Bobcat will have to wash himself now.

Thanks god he's gone, hopefully Brady is next!

Bring back Stelleck with someone who use to replace Landry.

February 12, 2011 @ 8:35 AM

Anonymous

I did not like AK it was boring and in poor taste I did not get what the deal was when he interviewed Theo Fleury and he lost me as a listener. The FAN590 format is old they need change. I emailed my opinion but they did not reply. I was a loyal listner since day 1 before they were 590 on the dial.

February 12, 2011 @ 8:45 AM

Dave

Krystal was brutal and despite his pretension only semi-literate as per most of the on-air personalities at the Fan (with the exception of the Bobcat and his semi-permanent co-hosts). Why not spin some of them off (Brunt).

February 12, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

Bob from burlington

Krystal was cut loose because he lost it on air on the 9th of February. Combo of somewhat wishy washy ratings as the long term underlying issue, but at the heart of the matter was a very disrespectful segment around 825 am where he went up one side and down the other side of Jeff Blair for about 10 straight minutes. Was a boil over from opposite views the day before of the George St. Pierre interview and the whole MMA/UFC genre that Blair and Krystal got into in the last few minutes of Krystal program.

Never heard a radio guy throw another "under the bus" like that before especially the guy following him. Suspect senior radio guys including several "personalities" mentioned above leaned hard on Kollins to suspend Krystal with a plan for harsh reprimand. Kollins likely slept hard on it and either decided by the next day(when Brady filling in for the still Andrew Krystal show) to fire Krystals ass or await for Krystal's explanation that if not up to snuff , would be curtains for Andrew.

Surprisingly, I liked Krystal in some ways, except the way he ranted on Leaf players(Kessel and Phaneuf in merciless ways) and the way he cut people off(other guest announcers- Howard Berger, Doug MacLean for example when they were on the line).

I suspect he will be reformed sometime soon( tincture of time, Adderall-ADHD meds) and he can get going somewhere else. Personally I would have sat him out for a week or two, figured out if he could be fixed(quite possibly not, but worth a try) and moved forward.

February 12, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

TeeBlack

YES.. I figured krystal was just sick or on vacation or something.. So happy to hear he's gone... The morning drive is the most important part of the day! I want to hear what happened the day before.. and for that you need someone who KNOWS WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT. I was tired of this boob talking just for the sake of being 'shocking'.. I hadnt listened to the morning show in a month or 2. We need more McGowans. I want to hear the guy and his guests talk.. less callers (and definitely less of krystals dumb 2 callers at once garbage)

Oh well. The only decent thing on the fan is still hockey central and the bobcat... but at least i can check into the radio show to hear some recaps without getting totally pissed at the radio

February 13, 2011 @ 1:03 AM

Colin

AK had some work to do. Fair enough. But he was a break and a breath of something different. I switched from 640 to 590 because of Ak. Brady is best suited for HC. The remaining retreads noted above are hopeless. A new format and personality are seriously required. Back to 640. I was Ak. Off colour and base at times but he represented change and something new......

February 14, 2011 @ 6:08 AM

Brian

I am very glad krystal is gone. I don't like the NFL and EVERY time he talked it seemed that this was the only sport around. TO MUCH coverage. I dislike his demeanor, atitude and views. I tuned out after a few months, but now he's gone I have tuned back into the FAN590. Please no more guys like Andrew Krystal!!

February 14, 2011 @ 8:05 AM

John

I liked Andrew Kystal. But only because he made me laugh. I could not take him serious at all, and I was getting sick of all the Leaf talk/bashing. Same topic EVERY DAY!!! I am already sick of hockey because it is stuffed down out throats by the media. I don't need to hear about it on my way to work. I hope Brady keeps the job. If not him, give it to Jack Armstrong, Doug Fairway, or anyone who's life does not revolve around hockey. I know I am in the minority. LOL.

February 14, 2011 @ 10:43 AM

Mike from Queensville

Krystal is the only morning guy that could get me to the AM side of the dial.

Bring him back, please. Nothing wears me out more than listening to Brady's opinions, whew.

February 14, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

Dave

Krystal was growing on me, just as Brady is but probably too over the top for the morning show. I'm sure they will replace him with a newspaper retread... Cox, Brunt, Perkins

February 14, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

Hector

What a difference with people who actually know what they are talking about. It's not AK's fault though...it's the guy who hired him that should be fired. Kollins is killing The Fan.

February 14, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

Brian

I like hockey just as much as the next guy, but I agree with John - please get someone who knows/talks about other sports. At least Brady seems well rounded. Please no Cox - he is best with Bobcat where they can hug each other and talk about how there shouldn't be fighting in hockey.

February 14, 2011 @ 11:24 AM

BWF029

My prayers have been answered!

February 14, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

Bruce Forrester

Krystal was occasionally on with McCown so there could be a perceived relationship between the two. This was done so he would be seen in a more palatable fashion. That didn't work as listeners could see through that but I must say that was the only time I could stomach Krystal when he was across from McCown with his tail between his legs.
Maybe the next replacement will listen better and not want to interrupt and go on about himself in a way that was most unnecessary.
I too believe Mr Kollins is on very thin ice, and Spring is coming.

February 14, 2011 @ 11:51 AM

John

I totally agree with you Bruce. Krystal was the King of talking over people and pointing out pieces of another person's argument and dismissing other valid points they may have. When he took a shot at Jeff Blair, regarding their MMA discussion, he decided not to focus on Blair's main point which was the comparison of GSP to ALI. Or when he told everyone that McCoewn said all Leaf fans were losers. McCown's main point, was Krystal only talks about hockey, namely the Leafs. To be honest, he basically only talks about the Leafs.

February 14, 2011 @ 12:40 PM

Dave

If you remember Krystal was hired to talk "more" than just sports. (which I think was a mistake) I actually don't think he knew sports well enough to speak intelligably about it, therefore, he resorted to his old antics which ultimately cost him. The Fan better get it right soon with another option hitting the air soon.

February 14, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

Question

Was Andrew Krystal fired?

February 14, 2011 @ 6:06 PM

anonymous

Fire Kollins,
bring back Stellic,
and partner him with a female who knows sports and can ham it up with the guys,

February 15, 2011 @ 8:16 AM

Gene

He came off as being very arrogant, and grated on his listeners.

Bobcat can be the same but is a lot lower key...

February 15, 2011 @ 7:19 PM

russ

i bet the lady he dished and hung up on him ( can not rememember her name ) will be having the last laugh

February 15, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

Sanderpuck

I thought Krystal was a windbag and I couldn't listen to him. I miss Stellick, he was quick and knew the hockey world inside out. He also had a great rapport with Kipper and alike.
I am sad to see Cox back with Bobcat. Bobcat is a cynic but also intelligent. When you put the two of them together you it gets too depressing. Damien brings out the worst in everybody...not a fan.

February 15, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Jim

I moved to the gta area shortly after AK this past summer. The views from most of his Halifax listeners was that he wouldnt last until Xmas. He was never that knowledgable about sports to take on the Toronto market with his Hoaward Stern attempt at shock radio. His last days in Halifax were spent on how it is home, but once here he threw the city under the bus like his co-hosts. I do wish him well with his future endeavours at the fan.

February 16, 2011 @ 10:37 AM

John

Krystal blows, glad he's gone. Kollins is even worse, not sure how he was hired and his strategy has been an epic failure. Brady isn't bad if he could quit talking about Detroit. Love Blair, guy is attentive to all sports and not just another puckhead. Bring back ESmith and giving Brunt his own show would be nice as well.

February 16, 2011 @ 12:27 PM

GEORGE

Im sick of Krystal and Bobcat, I just bought satellite radio. 100 times better

February 16, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

Matt

Glad Krystal is off the morning show. The guy was rude with guests, cut off callers that had insight and basically sounded like a wannabe talk radio host that use to work at 1010. Oh wait...he was one of those guys before coming to the fan! Lol My vote goes to Brunt!

February 17, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

Anonymous

give roger lajoie the timeslot. the guy is the best.

February 17, 2011 @ 5:50 PM

Biscotti

Thank God! I had been boycotting the Fan morning show since Krystal took over. Absolutely painful trying to listen to him. Someone needs to axe Kollins. Reminds me of Impach's second go around with the Leafs. Don't bring Stellick back to the morning though, Landry carried the old morning show. Count me in for giving LaJoie a full time slot.

February 17, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

B-Train

Awesome! I was out of town and I'm so happy to hear AK is gone. That guy has no class whatsoever, I think his target audience is cavemen with ADD. The Litsch fiasco, calling Kessel a cancer (seriously dude?), the GSP comparison to Ali and his perverted interest in JR's sex life- truly cringe worthy. He's just so lowbrow and insulting to the listener's intelligence. I'm OK with Brady, but please no Stellick. He's a nice guy but he sounds like he's trying to read a book while speaking half the time - he's just not all there. And we don't need any more obscure 80's Leaf references and talk of the Darren Pupa or Damien Rhodes "era". Brunt would be a great listen in the morning as long as he takes it easy on the boxing and tennis content.

February 17, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

Howling Mad

I knew Krystal was in trouble when the Fan 590 decided to bring Joey Vendetta out of exile to fill in for Krystal during the Christmas holidays.
The fan could have easily put one of there countless number of fill in hosts in the morning spot, Instead elected to bring Vendetta back from LaLa Land.
Where there is smoke there is fire, can you say:
Joey Vendetta in the Mornings.

February 17, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

Johan Mash

Finally ...AK is gone! I was a loyal listener pre-AK, but when he came on, The Fan was crap. It became radio for idiots, so off I went. His guests always got cut off, were disrespected, and the listeners were treated as idiots. I hope Roenick is gone with him. They both were crap. Dressing room talk was more informative than the morning show. I'll wait to see if I go back to The Fan or just switch to 1050.

February 18, 2011 @ 3:38 PM

Pete Alin

I was not impressed when AK totally blew off Mary Ormsby. It was such an infantile interview she eventually hung up on him. Bad taste.
I prefer multiple guests/interviews and some comedy thrown in.

February 18, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

paw63

Thank the Lord Krystal has gone. Arrogant, rude, Ill-informed, and basically unworthy of hosting a key time-slot on an important radio station.

You have to do your homework in radio, and he didn't. There are no excuses for poor preparation, and whoever hired him has a lot to answer for.

I like Brady, but I also enjoyed Stellick and Landry, and the appearance of Vito......from Woodbridge and the Betman sketches always made me laugh.

February 21, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

marshy

Krystal was THEE WORST i have ever heard. Cut off his guests, talked over everyone and made listening impossible. Glad hes gone. I can listen in the early morning again

February 21, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

yzer

AK was okay, if you want to listen to four guys who do the same thing, than that is Canadian. A real shock would be what one sports radio in Detroit did with people calling about the lions. He woudl hang up on them and tell his listeners that he was not talking lions football for the season. I think the leafs should fall under that category. Jeff Blair could do it. Until they get respectable talk about every hockey team but the leafs. So what if Brady talks about Detroit John, the wings are winners and the losers in T.O. could learn a few things on how to draft and develop, Just look at all their picks before Pavel Datsyuk and see how many made the NHL. Ban the leafs until they get respectable, that would be a good stick.

February 22, 2011 @ 12:11 PM

MRBIG

IF THE FAN HAD GUTS THEY WOULD BRING IN GABE MORENCY. This is a guy that was building up quite the following with his renegade sports style till he was axed by the score. I paid 2 subscriptions for satellite radio just because they had Gabe on the air.

February 23, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

MDB

Thank-you for getting rid of this moron. I had been a loyal listener of the FAN since the days of Derringer & Marsden in the morning but as soon a Krystal came on the air it was apparent they had lost the plot. I have migrated to other stations now and enjoy my channel surfing so doubt I will be back full time. The only destination listening on the FAN I do now is for McCown...he is the best and the most informative host in sports radio. He understands that his bombast is an important element but it is not to create artificial shock. Krystal tried way to hard to be something that never fit...his is a poser and I hope he doesn't show up anywhere on my radio dial in the future.

February 24, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

kleptodathief

lolz i knew AK got fired, for that bashing blair about how gay MMA was... AK prolly is a sexual deviant perv lolz, he luv talking sex and ya he always cuts off his guest and gets all the words in the argument in for HIS side only, is he really the bobcats friend IRL or was that just on air kiss ass?

he did make me laff but its always the same chit, feel kessel this dion fanuff that lolz, leafs > * , habs/ottawa suck

February 24, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

Hammertime

Thought AK was brought in to shake the vanilla out of the morn. show.DK should go..before he re-signs square pants Gord and his kid Justin..can you say Mayberry RFD!
Knobs!!

February 25, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

Bradzerker

I think AK was not given the proper format to showcase his strengths. Ultimately that comes down on Kollins.

AK is a newshound and current affairs guy. He's not a sports guy. Sadly, it seems most listeners want 6 straight hours of Leaf talk. AK, not being a hardcore sports guy was in over his head. It's too bad he did not have a chance to branch out from the monotonous 'what happened at the ACC last night' type of commentary.

He can be a good interviewer and offer insightful commentary when he is engaged. However, when he's bored it's anybody's guess on what he'll say. I wish him the best.

February 25, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

Banzai

As long time listener to the Fan, AK was a narcissistic poop...and that is high praise after putting up with the previous incarnation of McCown.
And whats with the 96% hockey content 24/7. I mean there are other sports in the country & world you know. And I write this while watching a hockey game. Jeff Marek would be my choice.

February 26, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

Day Oner

I was a Fan590/1430 listener from Day One - even before as CKFH transitioned into an all sports format. I have gone from young dude to middle aged in that time. Beyond that I am a talk radio fan in general, it's always been my favorite medium, from Larry King all night, Howard Stern, the original FAN from NYC to Toronto's own FAN.

To be honest, the FAN590 has always been run horribly, especially when it comes to their morning drive show. The only on-air talent that ever produced a good morning show were John Derringer and Pat Marsden. It was quintessential Toronto - the younger Derringer from the rock and roll generation largely raised in the burbs clashing with the wiley old veteran from the WWII generation, Meathead versus Archie Bunker. It worked. Unfortunately not for long, JD wanted to get back to his rock n roll radio roots and Pat wanted to retire again after his contract was up.

Gord Stellick is a nice guy, growing up in the 70's a kid from the burbs consumed by sports, earnest enough to work his way into pressbox jobs with the Leafs and BlueJays. When crazy old bastard Harold Ballard made the glorified young office boy Gord the General Manager of hockey's most legendary franchise it made Gord into a local hero and icon, he'll be 90 someday and he'll still be dining out on that bizarre moment in time. Gord isn't a broadcaster, he's improved a little over the years but he's still - Gord Stellick. Gord and Damien Cox, being mismatched buddies, may have worked as a morning show team. Gord Stellick and Don Landry definitely did not. The on air relationship always felt contrived and forced - two dorks trying too hard to make it work. Landry should have been a contributor only, his impressions and writing were brilliant. Whatever happens with the morning show, Landry should be a contributor, the Nick Kypreos impression, Gary Bettman as the Count from Sesame Street and Deep Throat, Jerry Halworth, Pat Marsden, Homer Simpson, I was going to say John Ferguson Jr but I remember now that that impression was done by a show producer. Comedy bits should definitely be a part of a morning show.

As you get older and I'm sure others who are in their late 30's, 40's like me and older will agree - your interest in sports wane. I know longer can rattle off the rosters of all 30 NHL teams and their farm teams. I don't conjure up trades and juggle lines on notebook paper as I did as a teenager and 20 something. Priorities change, life changes, you change. I cherish that era of my life as a sports fan. But it's over.

I gave up on the Leafs and the NHL after the Gilmour/Burns era, the NHL became unwatchable, no scoring, no fighting, no passing - complete borefest and the Leafs were now in the clutches of a man I despise even more than the nememsis of my childhood Harold Ballard - that man is Richard Peddie. I filled in the void that the NHL and Leafs left me with the Raptors. In basketball you can build a contender/champion faster, with some luck in the draft. Peddie and his crew managed to fuck that up over and over and here we are today - the Leafs have a brighter future than the Raptors.

Back to 590, in recent years I barely listened to the station. From time to time I do listen to McCown's round tables. I've been listening to and watching the Bobcat practically my entire life. Yes he's the best sports broadcaster this city has ever known but it's grown old - I know all his shtick and opinions. He's gone from the hippest smartest cat in the room to grumpy old man. I kind of feel bad for Bob, he had major talent and could have made it on one of the big 4 American networks or ESPN but decided to remain the big fish in a smaller pond here in Toronto.

I took notice when 590 finally pulled the plug on Landry and Stellick as well as dumping Norm Rumack and Mike Hogan. I wondered if new management might breathe some new life into a station that needed it badly. If it had been me with the power I know what I'd have done - whatever it took to get George Strombolopolous to take the job and I'd have paired him with Jeff Marek. Good talk radio, and that includes sports talk radio, depends on personalities that are interesting and interested in a wide array of interests and be able to talk about them with some wit and intelligence. The majority of 590 listeners don't live in the world a rabid 15 year old Leaf fan does. So when I heard that Andrew Krystal had been hired to be the FAN590's new morning man I was disappointed that they hadn't roped Strombo in I wanted to give this unknown from Halifax a shot. Great talent comes from anywhere, in fact it usually doesn't come from big city raised people. So I listened to Krystal Nation(um......first ominous clue), I was stunned - this couldn't be the guy handpicked to be the morning drive host on a G7 country's first and largest all sports radio station. I tuned in again over the next few weeks wondering if it was just nerves and maybe he'd find his groove. Afraid not, he was a notch above brutal with no signs he was any better than that.

The FAN590 lost me as a regular listener years ago but that doesn't mean I wouldn't return. You know what I listen to in the morning for the past few years? WGR55 from Buffalo - I've always been a Bills fan and the Sabres were my second NHL team so had always listened to the station occassionally, usually in the evenings. The morning show at WGR is great, because Buffalo is now just a medium market in the US with only 2 major league sports they can't get much in the way of non-local guests - it means their morning and afternoon drive hosts have to expand their horizons and talk about more than sports. And they do it well. WGR picks up ESPN Radio after their morning show ends - the Colin Cowherd show. I was prepared to hate him and did for the first week but I now listen regularly. He dismisses the NHL completely as all ESPN hosts do since the NHL went to Versus, talks an awful lot about college football which I have little interest in other than as fodder for the NFL Draft but Colin is a broadcaster, he talks sports but in a broader context touching on his personal life and other fields of interest and like McCown a lot about sports and the media as businesses.

The FAN590 appears to be lost again sadly.

February 27, 2011 @ 5:07 PM

chk

Krystal wasn't an "unknown from Halifax"; he's been around the Toronto media since the mid '80s.

February 27, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

BlogVader

Well I hope they don't keep that weenie Greg Brady as morning host. Talk about 590 Geek Radio. Plus the guy is a hack. I think he listens to the Herd on ESPN radio and then hi-jacks Cowherd's personality and material. As for AK ... we already have Stern. we don't need wanna be Sterns kicking around.

February 28, 2011 @ 10:04 AM

FanOfGoodRadio

Krystal was horrible. Barely funny, glad he's gone. Worse then Dean Blundell when he took over for humble and fred, back in the day. Brady is ok, but he's only average.

Blair is a real journalist. yeah he stumbles, but so do you, so who cares. I can't believe that there is this much hockey, no Leafs, talk in this market.

Are you all seriously that big of a sucker to pay and propagate their ineptitude for the last 43 years? If you are under 40, and buy into their season tickets ponzi scheme, you are a moron and an enabler. Take your clients to a whore house on Church street then, man. It'd be more fun and the same experience.

Blair I'm hoping will talk up the Jays and get awesome baseball guests on, so that we can finally not hear from McLane(i don't care if i spelled that blow hard's name wrong) and all the other boring puck heads.

The Leafs blow. Being a leafs fan is worse. hearing a radio station drone on and on about them is pathetic too.

If the Fan590/Leafs590 go on about these perennial losers, just so they get ratings... would they allow their fans to jump off the top of the Skydome because they could make 10 bucks/leap from it?

To all hockey fans: your game is played out. The neutral zone trap showed you how to make this game dreadful to watch. They had to make rules up to discourage the natural progression of this boring sport. Without these rules, you'd still be living through a 2-1 game.

I think Rob Babcock is the manager of the Fan590 now, or maybe John Ferguson Jr.

February 28, 2011 @ 11:03 AM

C. W. Summerhill

I didn't listen to Krystal all that much but I do find it hard to listen to the mousy, juvenile likes of Greg Brady and Roger Lajoie. Mike Hogan has a superb radio voice; I still can't believe that THE FAN got rid of him! I agree with the comment above that Bob McCown is getting long in the tooth. Plus, I know it's his schtick, but the rudeness and holier-than-thou attitude he shows to listeners has never been palatable to me, nor has his hypocritical kowtowing to guest personalities on his show.

March 1, 2011 @ 1:38 PM

Patrick

SOOOO glad AK is gone. He was intolerable. I had switched to 550 AM Buffalo, listening to talk about the Bills all day ...

Love Greg Brady, but maybe not for the morning show. No Damien Cox!! His smugness grates on me. Mike Richards is very funny, looking forward to some competition in the morning.

March 2, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

Jeff Ryan

I gave up on Fan590 when Gord and Don followed by Mr. CFL in the Bullpen were the opening acts. Came back to listen to AK for a week. Went back to listening to music. Im trying out Bobcats show and Greg Brady and both do entertain. Looking foward to 1050TSN to see what they bring forth for entertainment. Good luck Andrew but do drop the shock shtick as you do it badly!

March 3, 2011 @ 6:37 PM

Bob Usher

Bring back Don and Gord!

March 3, 2011 @ 7:33 PM

Johnny K

Bring Andrew back or we all might fall asleep at the wheel from BOREDOM!!

March 3, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

tony ferreira

i cannot believe all the ignorant comments coming out of boring and predicatable dummies. andrew krystal was refreshing and extremely entertaining. he was unpredicatable and very informative and this is exactly what the fan needed. all these little brain people complaining must of had their little feelings hurt what a shame. wake up and get a life ak was great for sports radio and the fan 590 completely stuck out in taking him off the air. i hope someone else like tsn takes the opportunity to hire him and i will guarantee you in no time his ratings will blow apart anything the fan has. all you negative anti ak people get a life and quit being so insecure.

March 4, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

Anonymous

Krystal was terrible. I stopped listening in the mornings because of him

March 4, 2011 @ 1:21 PM

Vince theaudioguy

Gotta agree with Tony
Ak is great what's wrong with you people I'm always looking forward to his shows
When he was on 640 he had the highest progressive ratings then they got rid of the wrong guy
He wanted more pay without a double shift
Give him a chance you'll see Ive laughed out loud in my car and in time believe me his rating would skyrocket
So he occasionally cuts people off so what
Brady mair don't encourage me to listen as ak does
And I also big leaf fan .

March 4, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

The insider

Please., AK was a complete idiot. You can go to any major city in the US and hear someone like krystal. Tony, you must be 12-15 yes old as that was the only audience that actually found AK entertaining.

March 4, 2011 @ 11:29 PM

Alex

I could not stand listening to AK. I have been listening to the fan590 for over 18 years. I just could not stand when AK would constantly interrupt his guests, it made it extremely irritating to listen to and I tuned out

March 8, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Ben

Krystal just said on the radio that he would rather shoot himself than watch women's soccer. We need to we take up a collection to buy him tickets to the Women's World cup.

March 8, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

benny

...boorish, condescending, rude,ignorant.
...antithesis of a prime time radio personality - unless you are Howard Stern...and AK is no Stern.

March 10, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

rob

Glenn Healy during the hockey season. he's the best, and doesn't hold any punches. unlike Krystal who just made noise.

March 15, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

Jani

AK was a rude, disrespectful moron!
I kept asking myself day after day, who was the Fan targeting, 15 yr old punks or working class sports fans.
How many chances does Kollins get until he's out on his keester?
Pre AK was good, bring it back.

March 16, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

paw63

So they just moved Krystal to the afternoon slot. It doesn't matter when he's on, he's still a bloody idiot.

And what are they doing on Saturday mornings?????? Shooting and fishing, then video games!!!!!!! This is supposed to be about sport not hobbies.

March 19, 2011 @ 8:57 AM

rm

if we are talking about the job Kollins is doing, why is primetime from 3-6? So the guys who get off work at 3 can listen on the drive home? Are the ratings good for this show jsut because of Bobcat? Could they be better if people can listen who have a normal commute? Seriously,this is an issue. Putting your own stamp on things as manager can backfire. I wonder how much TSN will pay for his majesty's services. 4-7 is primetime!

March 25, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

agreed

Have to agree with all the negative comments about Krystal. I've always woken up to the fan 590 as my alarm but hearing this idiot would just make me mad. Not a healthy way to start a day. Thank the good lord he is gone. Re : Bobcat, yes he too is pretentious, difference is he is eloquent and knowledgeable about sports, and he respects his guests and callers when they have something intelligent to say

April 7, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

dnm

I dig the hell out of AK but had no idea he was back in Toronto. I hadn't heard from him since he left Mojo when 640 bitched out and stopped being cool.

I'd have listened if I had any idea -- although I think I still like JD more and would have listened to 107.

But replacing him with Greg Brady is a colossal kick in the face.. that guy is about as interesting as a peanut in a mouse turd.

July 27, 2011 @ 6:18 PM