Name the Dome. Win Seats For Life.

RewindA glove tap to YouTube user Retrontario who found this gem from 1987. It's about the ballpark that would be known as Skydome and it includes information about the "Name the Dome. Win Seats For Life." contest I desperately wanted to win.

Retrontario barely salvaged this one for us.

This was found on a badly damaged old tape which was in a pile meant for the garbage man. I saw "Dome" scribbled on the side and thought it might be of interest. Always sad to me that most stuff of this nature ends up destroyed.

By the way, I always thought we should have named it Thunderdome.

Lorne

According to Da 'Pedia, Kellie Watson, the guy who won was tied with 2000 people, and won via a lottery draw.

I wonder if Rogers "changed the terms" of the contract when they bought the dome?

January 10, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

CQ

Heard of the first 'Astro'* domed stadium? Heard of the Centre of the Universe moniker for T.O.?
I had submitted as its name: 'The Moon'. No dome, not 'moon dome' - just 'The Moon'.
With its intended flexible concert seatings set at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 configurations. I guess they forgot to add a rollaway fabric awning for the roof's acoustics.

*a few University of Toronto guys had a direct and critical involvement with the Houston/NASA Apollo missions (as skipped by the Ron Howard movie). Also, Cdn designed and built legs are what the American Landers stand upon, the footpads themselves are American sourced. Something I only learned after 2009's 40th anniversary. Just makes my old contest name that much better. I wonder if the Tickets for Life stopped when it became Rogers Centre? Or what about for when the Raptors played there if the free seats were selected from the third base side?

January 10, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

Pat

I entered 'TowerDome'.
So did a number of people I figure.

January 11, 2011 @ 9:12 AM

Pete McPhedran

I submitted "Money-pit-with-a-retractable-roof-that-will-cost-Ontario-tax-payers-hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars-eventually"

I was right, but didn't win.

--Pete

January 11, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

James

The Skydome is a money pit - and outdated for MLB at this point.

But when you think of the events its held in its 22 (?) years, it's pretty impressive for a single venue. Two World Series, MLB All Star Game, NBA regular season, NFL regular season, CFL, Grey Cups etc.

It's amazing that it's actually sort of entering middle age, stadium wise.

I heard a big wig from Rogers say on The Fan that if Toronto got an NFL team, he thought you could lower the floor of the building to accommodate more seats for the NFL. Maybe the Jays will get an outdoor park someday, and that will be a second life for the Dome.

January 11, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

Sher

You'd think that first guy in the video would be using a teleprompter.

January 11, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

Down Goes Brown

Years later, I'm still mad that they didn't go with my suggestion of "Canadome", which I was no doubt the only person to think of.

January 11, 2011 @ 5:21 PM

Kristina

A classmate in grade 6 submitted "ConDome"

January 11, 2011 @ 6:54 PM