Do We Suck? The Dean Blundell Show Asks

radioI was just catching up on my email, when I saw an item from The Dean Blundell Show asking "Do We Suck?".

I thought that was a pretty timely question following this ongoing debate.

Here's the email. And no, I haven't taken the survey yet.

dbs

Tristan

They've sucked for awhile. A lot of people will say they have since Barr left. It was way before that. They're just not creative anymore. I remember back in high school when I'd wake up at 5:30 every morning just so I wouldn't miss a minute. Now half the show is Dean ranting about how Facebook is stupid or reading internet headlines. The shakeup in personel isn't helping either, Derek doesn't suit the station and Adam doesn't add anything at all to the show. They also need a proper phone screener, so much on air time is wasted by stupid callers that they just end up hanging up on. The tried to copy Kevin and Bean for awhile, and it actually worked but they even stopped doing that, so yes, they do suck. But sadly, I'll continue to listen...

January 29, 2011 @ 5:23 PM

Lorne

Yes, they do. My #1 beef has always been (as Tristan mention), just about all they do is read "jokes" from the Internet-- headlines, email forwards, etc. It wasn't funny 10 years ago when they could fake being original, and it most certainly isn't funny now when 100% of their audience is on the 'net.

The rest of it is just lowest-common denominator sex and fart jokes. They can't even be arsed to make up their own fake stories, so they'll have callers do it for them.

So to break it down, the morning show is:

50% - Commercials that sound like they're straight from Scam/Spam folder
25% - "user generated" phone in crap
10% - Plagiarizing content from the Internet
10% - Toilet humor
5% - Dead air while they laugh at themselves because no one else will

= Me switching the radio 100% of the time.

In the morning, there's alternatives. 107.9 has Ben & Kerry who, while can be dumb sometimes, are often funny, insightful-- and their show is based on mutual camaraderie instead of insults and contempt. And there's Biggs & Barr who I am sure will find their chemistry.

And there's an MP3 player, which will never, ever suck.

January 29, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

Tim

I never thought it would come to this. Deano you have become stale and a Howard Stern wannabe. Adrian needs therapy and Meatus can't spell. Being nasty to those two is not funny!!!!

That 30's radio spoof was hilarious though

January 30, 2011 @ 6:53 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Dean, I have tried to listen, thinking that your show while not a carbon copy of the humble and fred show would have at least attempted to carry on in the history of the station and instead of beomcing what your show has become which is essentially in my eyes howard stern wannabe as stated above, gone in a direction that kept the humor real and honest, thats why listenership loved the previous two morning shows because they put a little of themselves into it, they didnt have to fake it or do so much seemingly scripted stuff....they just let it fly. Jason brought some of that but since he left, I havent been able to listen.

January 30, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

Not Toronto Mike

Hey Mike can you post the link to the survey? I would like to take it

January 31, 2011 @ 2:12 PM

Brad

I never listen live, but often listen to the podcast, the berating of meatus makes me uncomfortable.
I wish they'd stop that.

February 1, 2011 @ 12:39 AM

Boomer

I took the survey. The clip was around 8 minutes and the best way to describe it is boring. It's not offensive it's just plain boring.

I flip on the Blundell show from time to time and although it is mainly childish and repetitive, this clip is just awful.

February 1, 2011 @ 8:18 AM

jason

They have to ask?

They might as well ask "Have you ever wanted to kick us in the nads"

Why... yes... yes I have

February 2, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

becca

you guys cant be listening to the same thing i am every morning to give reviews like that...

the Dean Blundell show makes my mornings! They are hilarious. Im not a morning person at all, but i put on their station and they NEVER fail to make me laugh!!!

November 18, 2011 @ 9:27 AM

Harry

This show is absolute trash. It is no surprise Dean's wife left him- he is an idiot wrapped in a moron with a huge dumbass on his back. Dean is a hypocrite, a liar and HE IS NOT FUNNY!! Howard Stern wannabe is the BEST way to describe this fat piece of shit. Dean, give it up. Your show sucks. Todd carries you allll the way fat boy.

December 20, 2011 @ 5:32 AM

Tony

The DBS is the same shit day in and day out.

Same shit, different day.

It's time for a change. The show has been stale for too long.

December 24, 2011 @ 9:32 PM

Pat

February 15 the Dean Blundel Show went off air right in the middle of the show and played music until the show ended. I think Dean finally got fired. Fired for being a poor radio host and fired for his comments against women.

February 15, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

jim

nope...still on the air. same crap as always.

February 17, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Chrissy

I love them! I live in Vancouver where radio is terrible, I listen to the podcasts as I travel extensively and most are great! Tune in to our crap stations here and you will understand why... and Yes, my income level is over $60k, have a great day

February 19, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

mac

Hey, I'd just like to say that I disagree with the majority of you, the show dosnt seem scriped, every job I've ever worked the guys that had been there longer(or in the industry longer) have always bused my chops so dean doin so to meatus is kinda like a welcoming to the industry, some stuff is lame and stupid but its far better then lisning to 90% of the other radio stations out there, believe why so few people are defending DBS in this, is due to the fact the majority of us have far better things to be doing...dean keep up the good work and tod your gay :p derk watch out for buses

June 13, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Diogenes

Yes, they suck. I had to stop listening to them. Every time they played "Somebody That I Used to Know" or "Little Talks" made me want to slam my car into a tree. Had to keep switching the station to keep sane. Terrible music. Also, Tod is a douchebag. Fire his ass Dean. Shake things up a bit.

August 14, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Malf

These guys haven't been funny since 2002 (Shworld Cup and and the Arnold prank calls)... when I was 22 and basically their target audience. I tried listening to them the other day... quickly changed the dial. They are crap

September 14, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Nick

I reached the breaking point today. Dean and Todd using the show to air their own ignorant opinions on things going on in this country is annoying at best, damaging at the least. Younger listeners look up to these morons and end up mirroring their opinions because its easier and more entertaining than coming up with their own thoughts.

September 18, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Shoman

They are bad no lie. They only get power from the shock value of what they say and portray. A few friends of mine absolutely hate dean for being the biggest douchebag in the world, and the music they play is horrid. Despite this, I'll continue to listen

October 29, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Collin Reid

Dean is a douce,all he can do is insult others ,well I tell you this.......one more degrading comment towards disabled people and I'm going hunting for you blundell and it will not end well,take that to the bank asshole.

April 11, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

Collin Reid

April 11, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

david

I put them on at work to fill the time. I usually turn them off when they start asking the girl callers if they are hot and what they look like. He degrades women at every turn, I don't think he's aware he is doing it. A few weeks ago a caller accused him of being like howard stern, he denied it of course and went on to say he had never even listened to his show. That's just a bad lie. Specially for someone who is in the industry I think its good to know the kind of radio hosts that are out there. He clearly has heard stern before and gets some of his schtik from him. Also he treats people poorly. This station is called the EDGE but there is nothing edgy about it. He had the bachlor on the other day, need I say more. Tuning out.

April 17, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

chris

You're all fucked. The Dean Blundell show is mint. I tune in every day and I'll continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

May 12, 2013 @ 8:44 PM

Nelle

Its time the Edge invested in a new show, new hosts. I’ve read most of the reviews and people are mainly saying they suck but we still listen. Here is why you do, unfortunately Canadian morning radio sucks that this is the only crap half worth listening to. Facts are Dean talks about women in such a way, that leaves me to believe the only women he is half interested in a the little girls that go to a Justin Bieber concert. You know so when they lie flat their breast disappear and morph into Todd look a likes… This why we must hear about Justin Bieber every other day cause Deans is so jealous of his penis size and raisin tit sized fan base. Or maybe he could be jealous of any Canadian who becomes rich and famous. I love hearing about Drizzy every day... (robot voice) “Hell ya Hell ya F’n rights… I hate drzzy cause he has more money and fans than me. It sucks when you’re Dean Blundell and majority of my fans are Hamilton base… Hell ya Hell ya F’n rights…”

July 23, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

Justin

Ya DBS sucks. But it still sucks less than all the other radio shows in Toronto. That's why we listen lol

July 29, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

long time listener

I've tried to listen to the DBS yesterday and again this morning. It just sucks now. Same crap, nothing changes. When Dean plays the "Booooorrrrrriiiinnnnnggggg" sound clip on people, he should do that to himself and his show. I finally had to give up this morning. Can't take it anymore.

Dean Blundell, your show sucks now.

It's time for a new show .... new radio station.

August 13, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

John

Finally cancelled, his show was always terrible with bad old internet stories and minutes and minutes of commercials with terrible music. All morning shows are terrible tho, and no idea why stations don't just play music with weather traffic updates instead of some old unfunny DJ making fart jokes.

103.3 edge is much better.

January 18, 2014 @ 10:09 PM

Martin

Wow I can't believe some of the comments on here..... Did you guys really listen to the show? Either your all bullshiting or have NO sense of humor at all. My morning shit ever since the show was canceled. But honest I don't care what half of you have to say Dean is AWESOME!!

April 8, 2014 @ 4:48 PM