Weekend Open Mike: Black Friday Edition

microphoneIt's Black Friday. That doesn't mean much here in Canada, but I understand it means a whole lot to our American brethren. Go consumers go!

Use the comments of this entry to discuss anything you want. Get something off your chest, start a debate, or simply rant away. Or, if you like, you can ask me a question or two.

NMB Ryan

i saw those black friday folks on a live television hit this morning.

there were bunches of them bundled up sitting on chairs outside a very closed looking best buy in buffalo.

i don't know about you, but my time is certainly worth more than going to that sort of effort to save a hundred bucks on a tv.

not only will i never line up outside in freezing temperatures at a best buy at 5 in the morning, but i wouldn't want to get up at 3, drive to the border, deal with possible lineups there (and guaranteed lineups coming back).

they interviewed a few of the people and some of them weren't even sure it was worth it, but "i'm here now so what the heck".

i have SO many better things i could be doing with my time.

November 26, 2010 @ 9:32 AM

VegasGeoff

It's now 6:41am and I just got in from doing Black Friday shopping. Picked up a couple laptops for $198 each, DVD's for $2 each, and a few other things.

Three years ago, I waited in line outside a Best Buy for two days.

It's not just about the savings, it's about the experience. Something I never understood when I lived in Toronto, but very much understand and enjoy now.

November 26, 2010 @ 9:44 AM

Ray

It's this commercialism, and our servitude to big corporations convincing us that we can not live without more material things and we are lesser people for not buying what they're selling, that leads to much of our economic and social ills both domestically and globally.

Spend less cash and spend more time - on family, community, and yourself. We should find more fulfillment from these things and not from material things that we're told we want.

November 26, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

CQ

Shopping a little earlier in the month than Black Friday, I already saved 29% across my overall Christmas gift spending.

November 26, 2010 @ 1:08 PM

NMB Ryan

well said Ray.

November 26, 2010 @ 1:11 PM

Steve

Black Friday is one of the stupidest, most ridiculous scams going. Camping out to save a few bucks on DVDs is retarded. The people they show on TV lining up and camping out to buy crap they don't need...also retarded. I mean I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but to me no deal is worth trampling a Walmart employee to death over. I can't think of a single thing short of a blood transfusion or life saving surgery that I or anybody else needs so badly that it would be worth going through all of this camping and pushing and shoving and general stupidity. Count me out.

November 26, 2010 @ 1:14 PM

NMB Ryan

Mike,
i've been practising that particular religion for the last 2 years with my GF and it's worked out beautifully.

We don't exchange gifts at Xmas or V.Day or b.days.

Instead, we'll treat each other to a stay-cation - we live right downtown but we'll have a nice night staying over at the king edward or royal york. we're still spending money, but on a collective experience rather than a "thing". It's so much more satisfying than a sweater from the Gap.

November 26, 2010 @ 2:47 PM

Hey You

"OPEN MIKE", I think that is a copy infringement on the great Mike Bullard, Mike. No matter what other people say, Bullard was funny, a lot better than Strombo, AKA Larry King.

November 26, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

Cheryl

Totally agree. This black Friday thing is so commercialized. I wouldn't camp out and wait in a big long line. I hate lines at the best of times no matter what the big long lineup is, I hate big long lineups. I stayed away from Black Friday. Go Habs.

November 26, 2010 @ 4:20 PM

Mike Bullard took Open Mike from me.

November 26, 2010 @ 4:43 PM

black friday

i never liked the term 'black friday'. howd they come up with that?

November 26, 2010 @ 4:57 PM

CQ

It's an old accounting reference to the regular black ink vs. red ink for negative or loss figures. Stores reputedly make their yearly profit with the strength of the Christmas spending season.

November 26, 2010 @ 5:16 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I do spend one week a year making a 'pilgrimage' to the midwest where I do take part in Black Friday. Now, I have z-e-r-o interest in the box stores or Walmart/Target at their ridiculous hours, but I will hit a good mall in the 5-6am hour and the sales that you can have before 7 and then for the stores that open at 7 the sales before 10 do make it worth it to me. Insanity/trampling do not happen but I do tire of the unwashed-pyjama-wearing shopper. While *I* personally subscribe to the Toronto Mike way of Christmas, there are others that aren't and for my children and husband, I'm only purchasing what I would buy anyway but disguise it with a bow and they open it on one day. But like Vegas Geoff said, it IS an experience..

November 26, 2010 @ 5:43 PM

dale

Black Friday - TOO much HYPE just like Boxing Day Specials.

You can usually but for same price before Xmas than you can on Dec. 26th. Commercialism is what it's all about & people believe they got a bargain JUST BECAUSE I WAS THERE on Black Friday & Boxing Day.

Many Years ago (60's-70's) Boxing day was a bargain, but not now.

November 26, 2010 @ 6:39 PM

Anonymous

There are better prices after 'black Friday'. It has become a scam.

November 27, 2010 @ 9:23 AM

Cheryl

November 27, 2010 @ 9:26 AM

Army

@ Sherell

"Well, my Habs lost last night. In fact, they got shut out 3 to 0. Also Rick Moffatt, the regular announcer was away. That was no good as well because Abe Hector filled in for him. Abe Hector is not very good. He talks too fast and he mumbles. Rick better be back tonight and the Habs better win. The leafs lost last night as well though."

Most informative information I have received today!!! Keep up the high level commentary.

November 27, 2010 @ 4:41 PM

Cheryl

My Habs won last night. The Leafs lost. Habs are in first place. Leafs are last. Rick wasn't back announcing though. I hope he's back for the next Habs game on Tuesday. Go Habs.

November 28, 2010 @ 8:08 AM

LEW

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the best set of tunes I've heard by an artist in years - whata think Mike?

November 28, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

Yep - I love it. The new Kanye and Girl Talk got a lot of play time the past week.

November 28, 2010 @ 1:54 PM

Cheryl

Have no clue what canny and girl talk is. It doesn't mean I'm stupid because I'm not. Go Habs.

November 28, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

Rob

@Toronto Mike a.k.a. H&F tech support,

What gives with FreddieP's web site?
Message shows -

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Apache/2.2.16 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.16 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.freddiep.ca Port 80

November 28, 2010 @ 7:35 PM

Freddie P has outgrown his hosting package. I wrote him a stern warning yesterday as I saw him approaching his limit. He got pretty far on the $4 / month econo package!

The good news is that if he does nothing, he'll get a new limit on December 1.

November 28, 2010 @ 8:04 PM

LEW

Cheryl - I've noticed Argie is never on the same board at the same time as you. I think your Argie. Are you wearing nylons while you write about your Habs and Suns Chergie??

November 28, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

Roxx

Since this is "open mike" and readers are encouraged to get whatever's bugging them off their chest, I figured I would take this opportunity to do exactly that by asking one simple question........is there a more annoying, pompous, ass on the tube these days then TSN's Jay Onrait? I mean really, give me a break. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that I need a robotic figure to deliver the nightly scores...... but I sure as heck don't need someone doing "shtick" (if that's even how the word is spelled) every single broadcast. Here's an idea Jay, if you really have that much of a desire to get noticed for your comedic talent, give Yuk Yuk's a shot on amateur night.....but keep your b.s. off of Sportscentre or I will be forced to, and I can't believe I'm even contemplating the possibility, switch over to the nightmare that is Sportsnet Connected and if I really want to hit rockbottom, I'll tune into those couple of bananas Sid, Tim, Greg, et al on Canada's worst sports channel The Score. Would love to hear if I'm the only one who feels this way about Canada's next Wannabe Top Comedian Jay Onrait from the "open mike" readers.
Now then, having gotten that off my chest......I feel much better.

Roxx

November 29, 2010 @ 12:23 AM

Hector

Mike...when does the next ratings book come out for radio? I am curious to see how the Fan has done with Krystal in the morning. BTW...I hate the FAN 590 now. Krystal is awful. He knows nothing and tries to be like McCown....just terrible.

November 29, 2010 @ 11:15 AM