Can't Wait Anymore HNIC Montage

puckThe montage that opened Saturday night's Leafs / Habs match-up on Hockey Night in Canada was pretty awesome. I've been critical lately of these opening HNIC montages as they've been pretty weak so far this season, but this one was a winner.

The song is Paul Langlois' "Can't Wait Anymore" from his new solo album. It's perfect for this footage. If you don't know who Paul Langlois is, you're not Canadian.

I just wish we'd won the game.

CQ

Get over your alt-self Mike. I needed to google the person's name.
He is a member of a music group that only made the top 30 in the U.S. twice, 17 and 21 years ago, plus a number 39 song from twelve years back. In Canada, the Tragically Hip - according to the Wiki Discography page - have released only one mid-chart single throughout this past decade. Their full albums have continued in Canada to stike at the top two positions however.
Now go name the guitarist for Trooper, Toronto Johnny Canuck.

November 22, 2010 @ 1:05 PM

@CQ

Please. The Hip in Canada is hardly "alt". By no means am I playing it cool by suggesting all Canadians should know The Tragically Hip.

And I couldn't give a fuck how often they charted in the US over the past 20 years.

November 22, 2010 @ 4:04 PM

Cheryl

I have no idea who Paul Langlois is. I did listen to the game, all of it, but on the Habs Webcast. It was a great game. My Habs won. I don't know who the Tragically Hip is. Don't talk to me about modern rock. I know who the guitarist in Trooper is or at least a long time ago. He's Brian Smith. The lead singer is Ra McGuire. Trooper is a great group. go Habs.

November 22, 2010 @ 6:25 PM

Army

A Sherell comment:"I don't know up from down, I don't know shit from putty, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, I know S.F.A. .........but I like the habs." A MENSA candidate?? Vote here.

November 22, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

GTA Rob

That was a fitting song for the montage.

that Cheryl girl is a douche.

November 22, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

Cheryl

Names don't hurt me. I have people who like me. I don't like modern rock. Not everybody does. Go Habs.

November 23, 2010 @ 4:33 PM

MrFascination

Paul Langlois is a nobody.

The Hip are way over rated.

If it wasn't for our friends at SOCAN and the CRTC you wouldn't know either of them.

November 23, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

Cheryl

That's right. We're talking about unknown modern rock music. Anyway, talk about other Canadian music such as the Stampeders, Trooper, Ian and Sylvia, Sean Hogan. These are all well known or should be. Go Habs.

November 24, 2010 @ 4:44 PM

CQ

Cheryl, The Tragically Hip are not that unknown. They're not that super big of a group either. Not so popular that anyone other than a devotee would ever know the band members' names besides their lead singer.
I am a little surprised that you quickly supplied the Trooper name (which I did not know) yet never heard of the Hip at all?

November 24, 2010 @ 6:22 PM

David

Wasn't this about Saturday's montage. It got off the rails cause of one shmuk's critique over TorontoMike for being what...factual. This CBC intro is one of the best they've done yet and don't forget, it is for Pat Burns and the Montreal/Toronto rivalry.
Perfect synergy using this great song to the images of hockey's great past.
And Cheryl HABS SUCK! Eat an egg. It's just a matter of time before the smurfs that are the Canadians are crushed by the men.

November 24, 2010 @ 7:45 PM

CQ

Assuming that I'm the derailer in question of this thread, there has been a nasty over-riding trend of putting down one commenter quite a lot at this blog over the past month. It even goes so far as to have multiple others commenting in advance during Saturday Night HNIC broadcasts with an additional bullying tactics of continuous and deliberate mis-naming of the targetted person while mocking her harmless if spirited winning Habs team cheering.

I was disappointed in Toronto Mike's last Sat. night mildly accepting comment participation as it directly followed the prior weekend's warning notice. I would be upset myself if I were to have checked a comment thread and received that treatment. I web surf for a level of fellowship and discussion which this local (and big city) site usually offers better than most. I've seen some of the political blog community act in a similar manner as though only clique entitled and academically qualified people matter.

At the same time, I assume that anyone could just as readily be web surfing from a rugged truck stop in Australia. So I can't tell whether this is generated from a recent troll activity or a series of honest replies.
I felt Mike's "you're not Canadian" line was, in some part, another shot towards someone who had often expressed being unfamiliar with a noted modern rock band besides identifying as both female and having a disability. These last two claims only makes this group bullying trend worse. And I didn't know the guitarist name from Adam either.

November 24, 2010 @ 8:44 PM

I honestly wasn't thinking of Cheryl when I wrote "you're not Canadian". It was just a fun, throw away line about my favourite band.

Cheryl has taken a lot of abuse lately, but she is pretty damn redundant. I wish commenters would stop picking on her, but I also wish she'd mix it up a bit. The Habs are gonna win, we get it...

What matter is that this song and this montage was perfect. It was by far the best HNIC opening this season. There have been some dogs this season, especially that horrific Halloween one, and it was nice to see a winner.

November 24, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

Cheryl

I never heard of the hip because I don't listen to modern rock, plain and simple. Trooper is an old group and they're great. Of course I know who the guitar player was. Look at the Habs last night. Great win for them. Truth is Habs are better than the Leafs. Check the standings.

November 25, 2010 @ 6:30 PM

David

Cheryl, I reiterate: READ MY COMMENT! Smurfs. Just watch last years run when you had the RUN IN with the Flyers men vs. boys ergo Smurfs vs. Men. Nothing personal, but one must laugh at the love hate relationship the Canadias have with its fans. LOL. Maybe similiar in TO but in TO we have the promise of youth. In Mtl you have the fear of the old. Check the average age and the salary of the roster. Wait and see where the Leafs are in 3 years and where the Habs will be in 3 years.

November 25, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

Cheryl

You really don't know for sure that the Leafs will be better in three years. I'm a Habs fan. I love the ole ole thing as well. It's great. Habs are going to win the cup again. Just wait.

November 26, 2010 @ 4:25 PM

David

Good for you for being a fan of the excitement around your Habs. You're a fan of the excitement, not of the game.
Dreaming. Just Dreaming. But everyone is entitled to dream. Good luck to ya.

November 26, 2010 @ 6:18 PM