H1N1 / Swine Flu Didn't Kill Us, and That's Good and Bad

MedicalI started listening to my swine flu playlist well over a year ago. At that time, the WHO was already ready to pounce on this sucker by labelling it a "pandemic". Nobody wants to hear the word "flu" and "pandemic" in the same sentence.

Getting my H1N1 vaccination was a no-brainer. My whole family got one, it was a simple risk/reward analysis. As it turned out, the swine flu epidemic never materialized. In fact, the swine flu killed fewer people than the annual seasonal flu varieties, about 12,000. This is good news.

But... this is also bad. The next time there's a potential pandemic, how many people will ignore warnings from governments and public health officials? You know the types who don't believe in flu shots and think they know better than medical doctors... they'll say "yeah, sure there's a bird flu coming... just like the swine flu, right?"

I'm just worried about the next time governments and public health officials ring the alarm. Fewer people will be listening, unfortunately...

jason | getyouroj.com

I won't be getting my shot... never do... and look... I'm still alive... many who get the shot, however, tell me about how sick they feel afterwards... also they still get sick... try thinking about who really profits off this flu shot crap... count me out on this one!

July 3, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

CQ

I'm just worried about the next time governments and public (health) officials ring the alarm.

And that about says it all for us.

July 3, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

But if ever there was a "better safe than sorry" situation, this is it, right?

July 3, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

Cambo

The entire thing was bungled badly by the WHO, government and media. The media scared people into getting the shot, and the government ordered far more than they would ever need and started giving it to other countries. Then there were the disastrous distribution lines. When the public panics, look out. Everyone knee-jerked their reactions instead of using some logic and common sense.

I've only ever gotten flu shots when my wife was pregnant. I simply do not trust the vaccine, nor think it's necessary. I've had 1 flu in the last 15 years, and 1 shot. I'll take my chances, as I think I'm far more likely to get struck and killed by lightening. There's a problem when we start vaccinating ourselves too much, in that our bodies do not get the chance to build up antibodies to fight other things. More often than not, they've got the vaccine formulation wrong anyway.

July 3, 2010 @ 11:36 AM

Steve

I won't be listening unless it seems like there's an actual threat. I've gotten 1 flu shot in my life, and I was sick as a dog after it. I'm far from the only one, I hear at least one person say that every year.

The problem with governments and health officials ringing the alarm is that they're never right. Sars, bird flu, swine flu, I'm sure it goes on...but I'm writing this in a hurry. All of these things were supposed to kill us a thousand times over, but put them together and the harm they've done is a drop in the bucket compared to the real flu, a real flu that there seems to be no point in getting a shot for because it's just guess work anyway. Why do I want to put somebody's weather forcast in my arm for no real reason? If I get the flu I'll just stop coughing on people for a few days until I feel better. You can only cry wolf so many times, and that's exactly what keeps happening with these animal flus. So next year when the lemming flu or whatever the hell it's gonna be comes knocking, don't expect to see me in line at the local clinic. It's not happening without some good, solid evidence.

July 3, 2010 @ 11:54 AM

Alan G

I've gotten the flu vaccine twice and those years I got the flu. I'm not saying that the vaccine gave me the flu or resulted in my getting another strain of the flu. Interestingly though, in the years I haven't gotten the vaccine, most of those years I didn't get sick, including last year.

I believe in healthy preventative measures - eating well, getting rest, taking vitamins AND totally avoiding antibiotics. I have managed to avoid antibiotics for the last 15 years and in that time have not had a reassurance of the illness I used to take them for every year that I got it. The last year I took an antibiotic, I had a major allergic reaction that nearly destroyed my immune system for a year. Never again.

As for trusting any warnings the government and health officials puts out - forget it. We're nothing but freakin guinea pigs to them.

July 3, 2010 @ 11:57 AM

dale

Other than my wife who has Chrones disease nobody here got vaccinated. She was sick for 2 days after getting her shot. My son got H1N1 & was off school for 3 days after being diagnosed, much like a regular FLU.

July 3, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

elvis

I got the shot and was fine. My wife too.

Your G20 conspiracy friends are against you on this Mike.

July 3, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

For what it's worth, all four people in my family got it and none of us were sick at all.

And I get the flu shot every year and I'm never sick.

I'll get the flu shot again this fall.

July 3, 2010 @ 4:47 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Four of us got it and not sick either, although I do believe my son was sick in the first round last May/June.

July 3, 2010 @ 8:54 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

We habe become such a germophobic society, not to mention a worriphobic society if that makes sense, things are so overly reported and scrutinized via the media which has so many more outlets with which to report and make things worse than they appear. H1N1 didn't pose a greater health risk than the normal flu, the normal flu was much more prevalent and kils many more than H1N1 in any given year. We need to stop being such germophobes and allow our bodies to develop some natural defense. How about a good diet and exercise to build a strong immune system first then worry about the shot later. The human body can fight off a lot of things if you take care of it.

July 3, 2010 @ 11:54 PM

Cheryl

I've always gotten the shot. It never made me sick or anything. I can't afford to be sick so that's why I get it. If I'm sick, I can't work. If I don't work, I don't get paid, so don't take any chances.

July 4, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

Mason

i rarely get sick as it is, so i don't find a point in getting any of these shots.

the only outbreak we really have to worry about is a zombie one, and there is only one 'shot' for that

July 5, 2010 @ 3:26 PM

Deborah

Me and my 16 yr old got the new flu vaccine yesterday and this year it has the H1N1 in it and we have been sick every since. I feel so bad, eyes burning, headache, muscle aches and I get the flu shot every year and never felt like this before. I was a dummy too because I had no idea it had the H1N1 in it this year and it does. Dont let the gov propaganda get you believe it doesnt have awful side effects because it does. I wasnt sick at all nor was my daughter before we got it yesterday and my other daughter that got it last week had the same side effects too. Never again wil i get another flu shot and I have been taking them for years and years.

October 20, 2010 @ 2:33 PM

C.H.

The main issue here is the U.S. government and the Media as stated; both of which willing to jump on the emergency bandwagon as soon as a single misquito thinks a official is worth tasting.

Our government, as harsh and unrealistic as this may sound, needs to be entirely replaced; not the form, but the people. Because most of them are money and/or power hungry fools bent on their own primary gains; Obama makes a great example.

The media needs to be controlled by the government, but with a REAL power of control, not some idiot who wants them to post specific things. The media often hides much of the truth to hide things they don't want the general public to know. As well, they tend to make things seem FAR out of hand, when they are entirely under control. The iraq war is a very big example of their making things seem out of hand.

October 24, 2010 @ 1:40 PM

C.H.

Oh and btw, i forgot to mention, if you want to talk about "awful side effects" then read this website...

If you didn't think what I was stating early was true at all, then maybe this might change your mind.
If not, then you must have no connection process between all of this

October 24, 2010 @ 1:54 PM