Strange Outs During a Sweet Sweep

baseballMy slo-pitch team played a double header last night. We won both games in a sweet sweep, but this entry isn't about that. This is about the two times I was called out on the basepaths.

Jimmy the Ump calls a good game, and is a stickler for the rulebook. On one play, I got to third before I was held by our third base coach, Mofo. Before time was called, Mofo affectionately patted my back. I was called out for interference by our third base coach. In my illustrious career I've never seen that called.

Later, in game two, I was at second base. This league has a no lead-off rule, but you can run on "anticipation". Apparently, while at third, I lifted my foot off the the base for a second. It was a vertical move, I wasn't "leading off" by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, Jimmy the Ump called me out for leading off. I've never been called on that one either.

In the parking lot, after the game, Jimmy the Ump saw me as he was getting into his car. Once again, he glared at me and called me out. It was one of those nights.

Ray

I hope you gave Jimmy an ear full both times, especially the first one. Sounds like he's let a little power get to his head. He's got no business making chincy calls like that, which don't affect the game at all, in a beer league! Someone needs to remind him he's not in the big's.

June 16, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

McNulty

I hope you're making this up. And if not, perhaps this "Jimmy" shouldn't be calling the rules like that. Is he as harsh on other players/teams? If not, I would expect he is "El Duce" getting back at you.

June 16, 2010 @ 11:31 AM

I actually like Jimmy - probably b/c I once saw him playing in a retro Astros jersey.

And no, I'm not making any of this up.

June 16, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

Wayner

I can see the "2nd out". I've been called out on that one before...but the 1st out is a mystery to me.

June 16, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

He said there's a rule about "guiding" a player back to the base before time is called. It makes sense, but this wasn't an aggressive push, just a celebratory love tap.

June 16, 2010 @ 3:53 PM

Engell

Jimmy the Ump is the greatest ump in the league, in both terms of knowledge and personality. He's very cheerful, very fair and very personable...and definitely not prone to power trips whatsoever.

As far as these calls though, your description of how they played out seems a bit....skewed?

The play at third had you rounding towards home, pausing and then Marc telling you to hold up while physically pushing you back towards the base. Not exactly the "affectionate pat on the back" that you described! ;)

In the second instance, you have this tendency, let's call it a nervous tic, to rock on your toes while on base. You lean forward while rocking on your toes and your heel comes off the bag which, in effect is a lead-off since you're no longer connected to the bag. Apparently you had done this several times before he actually called you on it.

The calls were legitimate though really never called in these leagues. Suffice to say, it was friggin' hilarious! Pure comedy gold! My respect for Jimmy increased two or three fold after last nights game. And the "Booner, YOU'RE OUT!" in the parking lot was just icing on the best tasting cake ever!! ;)

P.S. Sorry Alex, but these calls were reminiscent of the time Patino actually carried his bat to first after getting a base on balls. The second he touched the bag, while still holding the bat, Jimmy yells out "Batter's OUT!" Yet another Classic Storm blunder! :)

June 16, 2010 @ 4:04 PM

Mr. Engell,

I hope Mofo pops in here to set the record straight. He didn't physically push me back toward the base. C'mon Mofo, tell us what you did to me that got me called out.

And you know I love Jimmy the Ump... I didn't say boo to him after the leadoff call, b/c I knew he was technically right. I just can't believe he called it!

And I remember Patino carrying the bat to first like a 5 year old playing tee ball. And while we're talking Patino, it's time to dig up that old CIBC ad to prove it wasn't Shane from Degrassi. Oh look, I already told that story!

June 16, 2010 @ 7:46 PM