No Chanting Allowed at Blue Jays Games?

bluejaysI don't get out to as many Jays games as I used to, but they're still my team. If you've read this blog at all during the years, you know how fanatical I was about the Blue Jays from 1983 through 1993. Growing up, Tom Cheek and Jerry Howarth provided the soundtrack for my summers.

I've been hearing a lot of complaints lately about the security at the ballpark formerly known as Skydome. The Rogers Centre faithful feel they're threatened for cheering too aggressively. A friend calls it "power tripping", and tells me it's not like this at other major league parks.

A regular reader named Michael wanted me to share his experience in this space. Here's what he has to say.

So I had a very unpleasant experience at the Jays game tonight. Born and raised in Ontario, experienced the World Series', stuck with the team through thick and thin. Tonight went to the game, they lost 1-0 to St. Louis but had lackluster offense going. We tried to start a "RICKY" or "LET'S GO BLUE JAYS" chant and I was actually told to stop (and security glared at me too) because "We're in Toronto, what do you expect".

This was so disheartening. Right after being denied chanting rights the Cardinals got on base and I cheered my head off for them just to get a rise out of people; yelled out "FUCK YOU TORONTO SPORTS, WAY TO SUPPORT YOUR TEAM" and got alot of stares right after (obviously). Shortly after I walked out and visited a friend in the concourse, didn't return to my seat.

Such a disheartening experience, especially after being in NYC, Philly, Boston, and Chicago to see how real baseball cities treat their teams. Embarassing Toronto, so incredibly disappointed. I had to get this down.

Have you had an unfortunate incident with security at the Rogers Centre?

Mississauga Mike

I would like to clarify I had TWO beers and was not drunk as this occurred. Had I been drunk, security and those around me would have had stronger reason to get me to shut up.

Key factor. :)

June 25, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

_Justink

I was at the game last night and the police threw this guy out. It was really entertaining actually.

At first, the ushers told him to leave and he wouldn't and tried to negotiate with them. Then security guards came to try and get him to leave, while once again he refused and tried to talk to them. By then, the man had gotten the fans into it by waving towards the crowd and the whole 100 level erupted into a "LET HIM STAY! LET HIM STAY!" chant.

I've never seen something like that before. When the security guards left, everyone thought they let him stay and it was the biggest cheer of the night aside from the home runs.

Then a few minutes later, 4 police men showed up and told him to leave. Once again the fans were cheering "LET HIM STAY!" but this time the police removed him by force. A chorus of boos rained down the 100 level.

I'm really not sure what the guy was being thrown out for, but he seemed to be holding this device (I'm not sure what it was) up to all the fans and waiving it around.

June 25, 2010 @ 1:30 PM

Alan

My friend and I were one of the few at the dome back in May to see the Twins. We were up in the 500 level along the third base line. Since the stadium was half empty, we decided to move a few rows down and a little and closer to the plate (still in the 500 level). No sooner had we sat down, some little Roger's nazi punk with an over-inflated ego comes up to us demanding to see our ticket stubs and actually made us move back to our seats. Considering how few people were at the game, it's really stupid on Rogers part to treat the few that do show up like garbage. Trust me, it's not just the Blue Jays that are keeping the fans away. It is the atmosphere of the worst ball park in the majors. One other thing - turn down the f**'in music.

See you all at Christie Pits, because I'm not going back to the dumb dome.

June 25, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

Mike from Lowville

We had a bus trip from Milton in the early 80's to the mistake on the lake and about ten police officers were stationed around our whole group because we were chanting REGGIE(Jackson) SUCKS for the first 3 innings. We were told in the 4th if we kept it up we would all be tossed. Same thing in the World Series when Kubek (Tony) nearly dis-owned the fans and J's on national NBC television. We were right below the broadcast booth and my brother said he could hear us as he was watching the game on TV. KUBEK SUCKS! KUBEK SUCKS! I guess it was so loud it was drowning out the announcers....or so the cops said.....lol.

June 25, 2010 @ 3:44 PM

Mike from Lowville

June 25, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

VegasGeoff

If security glared at you, who actually originally told you to stop?

June 25, 2010 @ 3:54 PM

VegasGeoff

If security glared at you, who actually originally told you to stop?

June 25, 2010 @ 3:58 PM

Pete Kic

The Skydome (Rogers Centre) has never really been a warm environment when it comes to sporting events especially baseball. I remember a couple of years ago we went to catch a Jays game and there were a few Yankee fans from New York behind us. We had a fun rivalry with them throughout the game. In the later innings the guys started to heckle one of the Jay outfielders. They were shouting "You suck" Well an usher came down and told them to stop swearing or they would be thrown out of the game. I was so embarrassed! They started telling us this would never happen in New York. To my recollection they were thrown out or told to leave. I continued their "You Suck" chant and I was asked to be quite or leave. I yelled back at the ushers, as you can imagine I was not happy. I ended up filing a complaint with the Skydome offices and received a phone call apologizing. Anyways, went to the game the other night with Mike, Jordy, and my girlfriend Jenn. Jordy went to pick up some food and was waiting for like 5 minutes looking at the guy. A kid then jumped the queue and stood by the cash. The guy went over to help him and of course as anyone would imagine Jordy was livid. She let him have it, but the guy just stood there. She ended up storming off. Then as we get to our seats, we notice some empty ones closer to the bullpen. However the usher lady told us we couldn't sit there because those weren't our seats. So we go to our seats and we notice a dad and his kid sitting in them. We tell them they can stay and we'll just sitting on the other side. The nazi like usher comes storming down telling us "I TOLD YOU TO SIT IN YOUR SEATS" we can't sit there because if someone else comes we would have to move. We said we'd move but she "insisted" we sit in our seats. Of course Mike and I were quite verbal towards her. Letting her know that her attitude was the reason people weren't coming to the Dome. Then we put our drinks on the ledge...God forbid!!!! She comes running down again telling us to take our drinks off the ledge. It was just an unpleasant feeling throughout. We had to tell the dad and his son they couldn't sit there because the usher was throwing us out of the seats we were sitting in. I've been to ballparks in Cleveland and New York and the atmosphere is fun and pleasant. As long as Rogers keeps this up, they'll lose the final loyal fans they have.

June 25, 2010 @ 4:18 PM

Mississauga Mike

Geoff, couple fans nearby actually. Who then pointed out security was eyeing me down. The kid working security was maybe 19, any idea what the minimal age is?

June 25, 2010 @ 4:23 PM

Mississauga Mike

Oh yeah, I was at Fenway two weeks ago and the man next to me was from Boston and telling me how much he loves coming up to Toronto especially to see games at the Dome (even he still called it the "Skydome" while ridiculing the name "Rogers Centre").

June 25, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I have been to 2 games this week in Seattle vs Cubs. Great games and lots of interaction - clearly a mixed crowd too. Everyone had fun and everyone had the chance to cheer on their team. I've been to a lot of parks outside of Toronto in past years and I (like SOO many) just hate seeing home games in that dome. It's not fun, it's not exciting, and cheering for the home team is not accepted. It's just NO longer fun down there.

June 26, 2010 @ 12:03 AM

CQ

Pete Kic (25th16:18) virtually described my last, free ticket, visit - from maybe nine years ago, lol.

At that, I figured I had to attend only in case the boss man later asked who pitched, any freebies were during April hockey playoff time. (Still lost that below mortgage pay scale job anyway within the next couple of years.)

June 26, 2010 @ 10:28 AM

Drew

Hey, I read your post about Blue Jays games being anti-fan. I'm in Minneapolis and really think that we might have the best baseball fans around. The new Target Field is packed, everyone knows in detail what is going on, and well, it's a lot of fun. I remember back in 1991 growing up that the Blue Jays seemed to have very sophisticated fans. What happened? Has baseball lost it's popularity in Toronto? Are games just not fun anymore? Additionally, what are people in Toronto excited about for sports? Obviously the Leafs are a big deal, but apart from that, what has the best base?

July 7, 2010 @ 12:36 AM

mel

Thanks to rogers for fukin up again ..now no tsn no tsn1 or 2 on bell and not even on local cable ...guess they want people to stop watching games. i called bell and they have been answering calls all night about this ...ya go jays...pissed off fan

August 16, 2010 @ 8:23 PM